3.1 Helena Discusson

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor
I've noticed this board getting more active, so I figured I'd share some 3.1 Helena info. Nobody really played her (no one ever really did before 4 haha), so it's hard to find info on her in this game. I've put a lot of work into her, so here are a couple of notes and things worth knowing about her to get people started so other players at least have an idea of what they're doing.

- :6::6::P::K::P: is her basic juggle ender. The timing is kind of strict and it can be difficult to land on some slopes (which means you really have to watch yourself on levels like Beach or Pancratium), but it's her most damaging string. It will also send the opponent flying all the way to the other side of the level, so it's good for keeping people out or knocking them off a cliff.

- :6::6::P: as a standalone move is also pretty good. It causes a lift stun on NH, and it launches on counter and HC. You can use it to launch into itself, so you can do :6::6::P:, :6::6::P::K::P: for decent damage. This is especially good against the wall.

- :6::P: is a pretty decent move. It's a mid that causes a limbo stun on counter and HC. It will also give you a limbo stun on NH on any surface that can cause a slip stun (Snow, Ice Cave, the water part of Beach, etc.). Be careful when using it though, as using it in an open stance will get you a breadbasket/belly laugh/whatever-you-call-it stun, which is holdable. The limbo stun only happens in a closed stance.

- :3::3::K: is a great poke that gives you a sit down stun on counter hit, and :3::3::P: appears to be guaranteed afterwards. Use it to interrupt your opponent's offense.

-:3::3::P: is a great launcher. It crushes highs and mids, and it gets you considerable height for a juggle. It will also launch against the wall. Be carful that you don't accidentally get the followup :P: though, as Helena can't follow up from that.

- :2::1::4::F+P: is awesome. It does alright damage, but it leaves Helena in BKO and puts the opponent in BT. She is at CRAZY advantage after this. I don't know the exact number, but it's enough that if you go for a throw, you'll actually whiff because the opponent is still recovering. There are two options out of this. One is to go for a mixup. :P::P: is guaranteed. If I think the opponent is going to hold, I'll free cancel and use this throw again to set up the same exact situation. If I think they're not going to hold, I'll just finish the string. It's kind of gimmicky, since the opponent will eventually just let you finish the :P::P::P: string once they catch on, but I've found it to be surprisingly effective. The other option is to combo. :2::K:, :6::6::P::K::P: works on all weight classes and is practically guaranteed. The only way they can get out of this is if they do absolutely nothing, which will probably never happen in an actual match. Even if it does, you still get a stun, so you can launch and juggle afterwards. EDIT: It turns out that the opponent can also backdash out of this and BKO 2K will whiff. I think there's a chance that you can still catch them right at the beginning of their dash, but I'm not sure. Still probably her best option.

- :F+K: is a frame trap that will guarantee you a hit on block. It sort of has a "deer in headlights" effect on people. It's slow to come out, but people always seem to block it on reaction instead of hold it. Off of a block, you can guarantee any launch (except :3::P+K:) for a juggle and it will beat your opponent's jab, even 9 framers like Christie and Kasumi. I recommend launching with :9::K: or :3::3::P:, as these will also beat crouching jabs. If you think your opponent is going to hold or guard instead, you can throw them. I've found that a throw immediately after :F+K: is too fast for most people to react to, so they would have to commit to a jab before they see the throw, which grants you a launch and free juggle. I'll usually stick to the throw follow up until they notice that it's not guaranteed, and then I'll start launching. It's also a pretty good tool for setting up Helena's wall game as well.

- :6::6::K::P: can relaunch. I'm currently experimenting with this now. It seems like it could be good for slope combos, but I haven't found anything half decent aside from :6::6::K::P::P:, and her standard juggles are all more damaging than that.

- Helena's movement in 3.1 is what she does best. Her best tools for evasion are her sidestep attack (:8::8: or :2::2::P:) and her ability to freestep out of BKO. :8::8:/:2::2::P: is particularly good because it will cause a limbo stun if you do it from the right distance, which is about a character length away. It's also super evasive and takes her a full 180 degrees around the opponent. To freestep out of BKO, tap :8: or :2: and press the free button. Stepping out of BKO with :2: is particularly nasty since Helena actually goes into BKO duck for a sec before she evades. This means that she's ducking all highs and mids AND freestepping at the same time.

- :8::P: can relaunch. She can't use it in her juggles on the ground, but she can use it in her slope combos for a fair increase in damage. Its use is pretty situational though, as I've only gotten a successful juggle using it on the Forest level against certain weight classes. Still experimenting. Outside of juggles, it's okay. It crushes highs, but you can only follow up with a juggle against lightweights and middleweights. If you launch a heavy with it, just go for the :2::K: ground stomp as they land.

- If you go into BKO using :2::P+K:, you can instantly cancel the animation into any BKO move. This means that from a standing position, you can use any move she has in BKO at any time. This is especially good in combination with BKO :2::F+K:, as it has good range and will catch freesteppers. It also makes it really easy to punish whiffed holds with the BKO throw, which does 93 damage on HCH. To cancel into freestep instantly, tap :F: before :8: or :2:. You're technically not stepping directly from BKO, as :F: returns her to neutral first, but it's pretty easy to fake people out since they tend to react to her going into BKO. Note that this only works with :2::P+K: and not any other move that leaves her in BKO.

- :P::P::2::K:, when used in a juggle, can guarantee a :2::K: ground attack if you cancel out of BKO. This is the juggle I'll go for if I know :6::6::P::K::P: won't connect. It also connects at pretty low heights, so I'll typically use it if I launch with a low launcher like :8::P:. BT :P::P::P::P: works the same way (minus the canceling out of BKO).

- Helena has 2 tick throw setups. :2::1::4::P: and :2::3::6::P: will both guarantee you either of her low throws on NH. For :2::3::6::P:, you will need to free cancel out of BKO first. Neither one of these is particularly practical, but it's good to know about them. EDIT: It turns out that the QCF P setup also works on counter hit, making it much more useful. Unlike QCB P, QCF P retains its tick throw property on counter, meaning you're still able to guarantee either of Helena's low throws. Good stuff.

- :1::P: will cause a slip stun on the right surface. This move is also noteworthy because it's a low that looks identical to :4::P:, which is a mid. Mixups ensue.

Stance Transitions:

Bokuho (BKO):

- :2::P+K:
- :8::K: (This move is also noteworthy because it's a launcher that hits high. Good for mixups).
- :1::K: (Note that you must hold down :1:. Otherwise, this move will take you into BT instead).
- :2::F+K:
- :6::K::K:
- :P::P::2::K:
- :2::1::4::F+P:
- BKO :6::K: (Helena will return to BKO immediately after using this move).
- BKO :6::P::P::K: (Helena will return to BKO immediately after finishing this string).

Back Turn (BT):

- :1::P:
- :4::P:
- :1::K: (Note that you must tap :1:. Holding it down will take you into BKO instead).
- :4::K::K:
- :6::6::K: (The :P: followup is optional. It will leave you in BT as well).

BKO to BT:

- :7:
- :4::P:

BT to BKO:

- :6::K::K:

Recommended Juggles (will be updated. All combos listed are after a launch. Recommended launchers will be given. Weight classes and additional notes are listed in parentheses):

Neutral Stance:

All of these combos work with all launchers unless otherwise noted.

- :6::6::P::K::P: (All)
- :P::P::2::K:, free cancel, :2::K: (Light/middle any launcher. Whiffs on heavies if launched with :8::P:)
- :6::P::P:, :2::K:: (All)
- :P::P::K:/:9::P::K: (All. Super basic. I'll pretty much only go for these if I don't know what else will connect)

BKO:

:8::K: is the only launcher that leaves Helena in BKO.

- :P::P::K: (All)
- :6::P::P::K: (All. Returns Helena to BKO).
- :6::P::P::2::K:, :2::K: (All. Only works if both characters are in a corner).

BT:

The only launchers that leave Helena in BT are :7::K: and just the second hit of :4::K::K:. Because :4::K::K: is so situational, :7::K: is her BT launcher of choice.

- :P::P::P::P:, :2::K: (All)
- :P::P::4::P::P::P: (Light/middle, last hit will whiff on heavies)

Wall:

The easiest way to set up Helena's wall game is, ironically enough, with her back to the wall. From there, you can do :2::1::4::F+P:. This will make Helena switch places with the opponent and leave her in BKO at advantage. Since the opponent cannot backdash, BKO :2::K: is guaranteed and will launch on counter, which is how it will connect 98% of the time. From there, you can combo with either of the following:

- Opponent comes off wall, :6::P: (limbo stun), :3::3::P:, :6::6::P::K::P: (All)
- Opponent comes off wall, :6::P: (limbo stun), :3::3::P:, :6::6::K::P::P: (Lights. Timing is strict.)

As mentioned earlier, :6::P: only gives you a limbo stun if you are in closed stance. If you are in open stance, it would be best to skip the :6::P: part of these combos.

Slope:

- :8::P:, :P::P::2::K:, free cancel, :2::K: (Light/middle, Forest only)
- :6::6::K::P::P: (All, Forest and Snow)

DR2K

I'm still pretty miffed that she didn't get the evasive tools back from 3.1. Sidestep move into limbo is just godly.

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor
Tell me about it. It seemed like a lot of characters (Jann Lee, Bass, Tina immediately spring to mind) just play like less good versions of their 3.1 selves. I was hoping they would take the same approach with Helena in 5. Maybe give her the ability to sidestep out of BKO or give her back :8::8:/:2::2::P:, but nope. I don't even know if she can still cancel out of BKO the way she could in this game. Doesn't BKO have recovery now? I'll still gonna play her, since there has to be something good about her that just needs to be discovered, but I really don't know why they did half of what they did to her in 5. At least :f+K: is still a frame trap and :2::1::4::F+P: can guarantee stuff. It's not much, but it's something haha.

DR2K

Tell me about it. It seemed like a lot of characters (Jann Lee, Bass, Tina immediately spring to mind) just play like less good versions of their 3.1 selves. I was hoping they would take the same approach with Helena in 5. Maybe give her the ability to sidestep out of BKO or give her back :8::8:/:2::2::P:, but nope. I don't even know if she can still cancel out of BKO the way she could in this game. Doesn't BKO have recovery now? I'll still gonna play her, since there has to be something good about her that just needs to be discovered, but I really don't know why they did half of what they did to her in 5. At least :F+K: is still a frame trap and :2::1::4::F+P: can guarantee stuff. It's not much, but it's something haha.

Yeah they usually have some tool from 3.1 that helped define their play style, it's a shame they omitted it from Helena. I'll take what I can get for sure.

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor
Updated OP with more info on :8::P: and :1::P:, a new juggle, a pseudo-guaranteed juggle out of :2::1::4::F+P:, a BKO section under recommended juggles, and a list of moves that will change her stance.

TRI Mike

Excellent post man. I tried her out today and had a blast. But in 3.0 because I don't have access to 3.1. So I ask you. Do these things work in 3.0¿

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor
Excellent post man. I tried her out today and had a blast. But in 3.0 because I don't have access to 3.1. So I ask you. Do these things work in 3.0¿

I'm glad it helped you out! Most of the combos, strings, setups, and properties of her moves should stay the same. The only thing that won't work the same is her movement. Since they improved the freestep system between 3.0 and 3.1, she's not nearly as mobile in 3.0, which is kind of a problem since that's a major part of her gameplay in 3.1. I don't know for sure but if I had to guess, stepping out of BKO won't be as useful since it's easier for moves to track, and :8::8:/:2::2::P: probably won't dodge as many moves as it would in 3.1. Other than that, she should largely be the same.

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor
Not sure what the rules on double posting are, but since it's literally been months since my last post I think I should be good. I plugged in 3.1 because I was bored and nostalgic earlier today and went back into training mode with Helena. Just updated the guide with a couple of notes and corrections here and there. I might continue this guide at some point. I planned on doing a section all about Helena in tag mode, but I don't really want to put a ton of effort into it if the interest isn't there.

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
I'm sorry, I don't have DOA3.1 but I do have DOA3.0 though. Can you explain to me what is the difference for Helena between these two versions?

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor
I'm sorry, I don't have DOA3.1 but I do have DOA3.0 though. Can you explain to me what is the difference for Helena between these two versions?

I'm not too certain, to be honest. I never really got that into 3.0. If I had to guess, she probably received one or two new moves in the update, and the buff to the freestep system greatly helped helped her mobility making things like BKO canceling into freestep and 88/22P much better. I'm pretty sure a majority of these combos and move properties are the same in all three DOA 3's though.

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
I'm not too certain, to be honest. I never really got that into 3.0. If I had to guess, she probably received one or two new moves in the update, and the buff to the freestep system greatly helped helped her mobility making things like BKO canceling into freestep and 88/22P much better. I'm pretty sure a majority of these combos and move properties are the same in all three DOA 3's though.
Oh okay.

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor
Did another update. Added some notes to the juggles section (including a particularly mean wall setup), added some notes to the evasion section regarding BKO canceling into freestep, corrected some notation, and fixed some typos.

EDIT: Updated AGAIN with some info on her QCF P tick throw setup.

RyuJin

I'm still pretty miffed that she didn't get the evasive tools back from 3.1. Sidestep move into limbo is just godly.

She now has side step move into sitdown stun (not sure how deep and its only during stun or counter hit if I remember correctly) in DOA 5

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor
She now has side step move into sitdown stun (not sure how deep and its only during stun or counter hit if I remember correctly) in DOA 5

True, but 88/22P was a MUCH better tool for evasion. It's still something though.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I think in general, all ss attacks in 3.1 are better than ths ss~attacks in Doa5. Oh and Helena's SS attack resulted in a limbo stun(+followup juggle).

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor
It's weird. As much as I love Helena in 3.1, I HATE her in DOA 5. She just feels more solid and less scrubby in this game. Like, you can't just guess your way to victory with her. She didn't have any EZ mode setups or anything. She was more about punishing stupidity and playing smart defense than she was about stunning and forcing guesses. You had to be on point with her all the time and winning was so much more rewarding. Plus, being relatively safe is nice. Out of all the tools she lost, I think the one I miss most (outside of 88/22P) is 6P not giving limbo on counter/HC anymore. It was a great way to really punish mash-happy opponents.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD