Community A Look Back in Time: Winter Brawl

Winter Brawl 9 is coming up this month... and it's coming up fast. There are multiple ways you can be involved with this tournament, but obviously the premier choice is to attend this DOA major by getting registered on Big E's site. This will be Last Round's first tournament, and that in its own right generates a lot of excitement.

If we take a look back in DOA5's history we can explore the growth of our community and Team NINJA's direction for DOA5.

First there was Winter Brawl 7, in which @Rikuto had a strong desire to kill Helena.

Who could forget @SweetRevenge117 and his historic win against @XCaLibur BLadeZ using the guest fighter Sarah from Virtua Fighter. That match I think did a great job of displaying the talent and charisma of our tournament roster of fighters.

Tom Lee also talked about Team NINJA's goals for Dead or Alive, and how important Esports and competition meant to this iteration of our favorite fighting franchise. He makes a lot of great points in this interview (as always) and demonstrates the passion beyond jiggle physics and good looks.

Winter Brawl 8 was last years chapter for Dead or Alive 5: Ultimate; and in this chapter we experienced an intense brother vs. brother mirror until Sonic Fox tapped out to our reigning DOA champion @Kwiggle after selecting Rachel.

An honorable mention to Winter Brawl 8 would have to be @Requiem vs. Kwiggle in one of the best back and forth sets I have ever seen. Requiem's Helena impressed me and I think he gave Kwiggle a real scare. I hope to see Requiem return to the scene ASAP.

Are you ready for more clutch Winter Brawl matches? Stay tuned for WB9. Be there, watch it, share it with your friends. The spirit of competition has always been strong here and I can't wait to see what happens next in this DOA tournament staple. If you want to see more matches from Winter Brawl check out our media section.

http://bigegaming.com/pre-registration/

I know how to deal with Helena. It doesn't mean the fight is any easier -- the odds are still stacked way in her favor in just about every exchange, and she has a lot of dumb stuff she really shouldn't have. But it's more of a case where I need to beat the player, not the character. That simply requires extensive experience against that particular player.

Makes it easy to get random'd out by a helena player I've never fought before, but more manageable to fight ones I've come up against previously such as Xcal or Emann.

I know how to deal with Helena. It doesn't mean the fight is any easier -- the odds are still stacked way in her favor in just about every exchange, and she has a lot of dumb stuff she really shouldn't have. But it's more of a case where I need to beat the player, not the character. That simply requires extensive experience against that particular player.

Makes it easy to get random'd out by a helena player I've never fought before, but more manageable to fight ones I've come up against previously such as Xcal or Emann.
So you actually prefer fighting Xcal or E-Mann's Helena to a random Helena? Hmm... I wonder what would happen at a tournament where everyone picked Helena? You'd probably think you entered Hell :helena:.

The only thing that allows me to beat a Helena is knowing the players habits. If I'm forced to guess evenly between all options, it is very likely I will lose. All correct guesses reward Helena more than myself, and she has more options that will result in winning any given engagement.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD