Community A Message From Tom Lee and Why You Should Make It Out to a Tournament

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
This surely is true of alot of people. And the sexuality level of DoA doesn't help, because they also gotta deal with the social anxiety regarding the people around them judging them for going a long distance to play a video game, let alone THAT game.

I'll be real with y'all: when I was playing DOA at my college, I get some people (Anime Fighter Community, Smash Community, Marvel Community, and non-gamers) judging me for playing it. But I don't give a fuck about what they think, me and a friend keep playing DOA just to get better.

I made Social Anxiety my bitch.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
And the sexuality level of DoA doesn't help, because they also gotta deal with the social anxiety regarding the people around them judging them for going a long distance to play a video game, let alone THAT game.
Hell, at my university's FGC, when I play DOA, I sometimes just select the sexy costumes just for shits and giggles. Why? Because I know people are going to talk anyway, so might as well give them what they want. Don't give a fuck what they think, because I play for the mechanics, not the sexiness.

ChaolanLegacy

I'd really like to go to an event,be that minor or major,but at the moment I am in Romania,where the salary isn't too good,so I don't really have enough money to travel around the world,and since I'm staying here for a few years,the situation won't change anytime soon.Not too happy about that,but I have to accept it for now.I hope that things will change in the upcoming years in a way that I could afford going to multiple tournaments.

Malfury

The nature of my job in the military makes it very difficult for me to go. I have 72.5 days of leave and counting all because it's too difficult for me to find the time to take time off. If I can take leave and find a tourney to go to, I'd go.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Have some tournaments in Milwaukee or Chicago and I'll consider checking one out.

Support the players in Chicago so that they can have justification to hold a tournament there like what I did in Toronto.

Check out the Player Map for other players in your area, and here's the kicker: Reach out to them. If everyone waits around expecting for the other players to just come up to their door and say "Hey, want a gathering?" then no one meets up with anyone and nothing grows.

You have to be open to meeting new people and working with new people to establish a scene. The IL scene isn't the worst scene in the country. There's plenty of players in that region that are already known to travel to events across the country.

Mr Aquaman

Hey everyone, Mr Aquaman here. Here in just a couple weeks I will be announcing an amazing tournament I will be hosting in Norfolk, Virginia. I have decided to raise the bar of grassroot majors with an MLG style venue and high pot bonuses. We have an amazing production crew and I cant wait to spill details. I am here to gauge interest in picking up the new DOA. I want to add it to the roster. My pal Sonic Fox thinks it would be a good idea. What do you think?

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Hey everyone, Mr Aquaman here. Here in just a couple weeks I will be announcing an amazing tournament I will be hosting in Norfolk, Virginia. I have decided to raise the bar of grassroot majors with an MLG style venue and high pot bonuses. We have an amazing production crew and I cant wait to spill details. I am here to gauge interest in picking up the new DOA. I want to add it to the roster. My pal Sonic Fox thinks it would be a good idea. What do you think?
Just do it!

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Good idea but wrong place to post this. Post it in the Tournaments forum and then you can edit your post with details as you are ready to release. Once it's ready for prime time we can push it to the front page for exposure.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor

The PA/MD/DC/VA/DE/NJ area is one of the largest hot spots for competitive DOA. Turnout can differ depending on pot prize and pre-registered players. Hope it works out for you, but make sure to take this to the Tournaments board and Post a New Event so players can give you feedback on it both before and after.

petopia

Funny they should ask but arent both the kreygasm brothers privately sponsered to go to these events or something.

Kohlrak

I'll be real with y'all: when I was playing DOA at my college, I get some people (Anime Fighter Community, Smash Community, Marvel Community, and non-gamers) judging me for playing it. But I don't give a fuck about what they think, me and a friend keep playing DOA just to get better.

I made Social Anxiety my bitch.

Hell, at my university's FGC, when I play DOA, I sometimes just select the sexy costumes just for shits and giggles. Why? Because I know people are going to talk anyway, so might as well give them what they want. Don't give a fuck what they think, because I play for the mechanics, not the sexiness.

But, that's your personality. Other people with other personalities would be pushed away instead of encouraged. I was for a long time, until i read an article online that changed my perspective. I can't find the article, so it's safe to say that many others didn't, nor ever will, see it or similar articles. Mind you, i wasn't afraid of what others were going to say, I just didn't want to be associated with a smutty game with absolutely no substance.

That said, that wasn't really what i was talking about. Try having mommy and daddy or someone else pay for your college or at least be a significant investor in you while you invest enough in something to the point that it becomes part of your description, let alone THIS game. All the sudden, calling off work sick or trading someone days becomes difficult: "You don't need off, you're not sick, you just want to play your damn boobie game, so, no."

Awesmic

Standard Donor
I strongly disagree with that statement. If you play someone long enough and you make yourself aware of what they are doing then you will eventually figure out how to beat them if you have it on your mind to do so. These guys are human just like you and not to take away their achievements but they are bound but the same limits of the game that I am.
Top players, human?

I thought they were gods taking the form of humans, only allowing certain people in their established clique to win or place high on a whim because they were bored of having the limelight all the time, yet still have enough pride to not be beaten by people they deem as "mere scrubs/noobs/frauds/mashers/casuals/half-casuals". If they're capable of masking their acts of collusion and it took over a decade for most people to notice, I find it hard to believe they're human.

Then again, that margin of hope in your post is all the more reason people should be motivated to play in more tournaments, in order to prove that with enough dedication and effort, even humans can beat gods. It's a battle as uphill as Mt. Olympus, but still, to push that light of hope may be what's needed.

d3v

Shared on SRK.

http://shoryuken.com/2015/01/19/tea...es-why-you-should-make-it-out-to-tournaments/

Top players, human?

I thought they were gods taking the form of humans, only allowing certain people in their established clique to win or place high on a whim because they were bored of having the limelight all the time, yet still have enough pride to not be beaten by people they deem as "mere scrubs/noobs/frauds/mashers/casuals/half-casuals". If they're capable of masking their acts of collusion and it took over a decade for most people to notice, I find it hard to believe they're human.

Then again, that margin of hope in your post is all the more reason people should be motivated to play in more tournaments, in order to prove that with enough dedication and effort, even humans can beat gods. It's a battle as uphill as Mt. Olympus, but still, to push that light of hope may be what's needed.
Somebody really, really has some issues if they believe all that shit.

PhoenixVFIRE

You can never tell with Awesmic. He has a very self-defeating attitude and feels every argument is placed on him. It's just the way he is and you eventually learn to tune it out.
To be fair, sure Awesmic was way over doing it, but there's been several times I can recall where I've seen an open lobby with several of the top players in it, I join only to get kicked for literally no reason, even some of my friends had the same exact encounter with the same people. Why make an open lobby if it's gonna just be for people you obviously deem "worthy" of facing? Why not just make a private lobby? It's rude, and borderline egotistical, makes me question how these players act in real life.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD