Community A Message From Tom Lee and Why You Should Make It Out to a Tournament

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
In a recent Facebook discussion on one of the many Dead or Alive groups, a thread was started by tournament champion @Mr.Kwiggle in regards to players not wanting to participate in the amazing atmosphere tournament events bring.

Mr.Kwiggle said:
Just funny to me how we have so many amazing people trying to push our game in the competitive direction doing everything they can just to help the scene grow and get more offline players yet the community acts like it's completely impossible to support offline. For the thousands of likes the videos get and members these doa pages have, seeing the small numbers at tournaments kinda pisses me off. This is how I feel about some of this community

Tom Lee replied to the thread that was having a good discussion with the following speech that went out to all parties involved:

wearefighters.png

I don't usually jump on these threads. But I want to share my thoughts with you guys here because I think it's an important issue for our community.

I understand that not everyone enjoys competing and socializing at tournaments. And that's OK. And I also know it's not easy for a lot of folks to make it out to an offline event for various reasons... I get it. But let me give you a very simple breakdown of how this all works and how this affects all of us, including me.

First of all, it's really not just about whether you can compete or "win" at offline tourneys, especially at the majors. Because the truth of the matter is majority of players will not be able to beat champs like Kristian, Matt or any of our top fighters offline. That's not meant to be insulting or mean to anyone. That's just reality, plain & simple. And people need to understand that.

However, everyone who attends an offline major will have a chance to play, meet new people, hang with the FGC notables, champs, [Tournament Organizers], learn new things you can't find online and most of all... have a blast celebrating the game you love with people who share that same passion. That's not meant to be a sales pitch. That's just me being 100% REAL. So, if you haven't attended an established offline tournament like the ones Eric Small puts on, you really owe it to yourself to get out there.

Here's the point I want to make. People like myself behind the scenes can't continue to support the scene if the scene can't support itself... Much in the same way as if everyone stopped going to live sporting events and watched their favorite games at home, those stadiums would eventually shut down, the pros would lose their sponsors/contracts and eventually the league would go out of business. It would be a huge loss for the fans and the sport itself. That's the harsh reality and that's ultimately the same situation we face if we don't support the offline scene. We have thousands of fans around the country and around the world who play this game. I know this, because I see our sales figures each year. We just need a small percentage of our player base to come out to these offline events. It would make a huge difference for our community and to maintain its survival. If you love fighting games and you want to see DOA live to fight another day, please try and make it out to some of these tourneys in 2015.

Sorry for the long message. Thanks for listening. See you at the tournaments!

-Tom Lee

Last edited:

Kohlrak

Sounds fun and all, but there's a large investment that goes into going to an event. TN is clearly targeting younger people (18 and younger) with their sex appeal campaign, so the many people starting to enjoy the game have no means. The rest of us, however, have jobs, and it's not like we can just take off a random wednesday or thursday on a 1 or 2 month notice, drive half-way across our states (at the very least), make lodging, etc. Especially after investing in a ps4 (if we did). Let's not forget families or other hobbies we may have investments in (and what about kids in college?).

However, it is also necessary. Instead, we need to move more into the direction of trying to promote the game so that small local communities can develop. People have been going to Star Trek and Star Wars conventions for years, but that isn't making them any more popular or alive. This is the shape DoA is in right now. If you want your Cling-On dresses to catch on, you better be spreading out.

Mosquito

I really want to go but I can't, I live in one of the edges of the Bermuda Triangle literally. Adding to that I'm a huge n00b at this and any other fighting game. I know I won't win but my level of play it's too basic I get very few matches online (cause of the Bermuda Triangle I suppose), I fell that with my level of play I'll be humiliated, that others players will think less of me and that's not my idea of fun. Maybe I'm wrong and the comunity it's very accepting, and they welcome new players (although I'm not so new cause I've been around since DOA 4. But very few matches online). I think that lots of people that play this game feel the same way. I love the game it's my favorite but maybe I'll enjoy it from the comfort of my home. Soo that's my excuse for not attending.

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
I noticed that people are afraid to go to offline tournaments because they are not "tournament ready" or the "tournament type" as Kwiggle mentioned. It doesn't matter if you are tournament ready or if you are the tournament type, just come out and play. Meet new people, talk to them, go hang out with them. I learned that the more you talk to people, the less nervous you will be.

Also, food and hotel hi-jinks.

Argentus

I noticed that people are afraid to go to offline tournaments because they are not "tournament ready" or the "tournament type" as Kwiggle mentioned. It doesn't matter if you are tournament ready or if you are the tournament type, just come out and play. Meet new people, talk to them, go hang out with them. I learned that the more you talk to people, the less nervous you will be.

Also, food and hotel hi-jinks.
the problem, as I see it, with that is that it undermines the entire argument. If we were just going to hang out and play casually then we don't really need to go out to a tournament for that.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
the problem, as I see it, with that is that it undermines the entire argument. If we were just going to hang out and play casually then we don't really need to go out to a tournament for that.

Yes, you do. Because going offline with human beings right next to you is a completely different experience than playing online. And I'm not simply talking about the lack of lag.

There is also no comparison to watching a stream of a tournament final, and actually being in a roaring crowd.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team

That's not how it works. Watch the Real World Challenges on MTV sometime. There needs to be more than one draw at an event. Some people care more about their competition, some people care more about making friends... and some people like both.

I like how DOA is linked to social events and competition... three things that I enjoy.

Tom Lee made some seriously good points, and I hope that more people make it out to a tournament/event this year. The only thing I disagree with that Tom says is I think a lot of people can whoop SR and Kwiggle, they just have to BOLIEVE!

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
Yes, you do. Because going offline with human beings right next to you is a completely different experience than playing online. And I'm not simply talking about the lack of lag.

There is also no comparison to watching a stream of a tournament final, and actually being in a roaring crowd.
That's not how it works. Watch the Real World Challenges on MTV sometime. There needs to be more than one draw at an event. Some people care more about their competition, some people care more about making friends... and some people like both.

I like how DOA is linked to social events and competition... three things that I enjoy.

Tom Lee made some seriously good points, and I hope that more people make it out to a tournament/event this year. The only thing I disagree with that Tom says is I think a lot of people can whoop SR and Kwiggle, they just have to BOLIEVE!
Both of them said it best. If it wasn't for me going to Xan and meeting @Mr. Wah , I would not be introduced to going to a tournament and meeting new people.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
I really want to go but I can't, I live in one of the edges of the Bermuda Triangle literally. Adding to that I'm a huge n00b at this and any other fighting game. I know I won't win but my level of play it's too basic I get very few matches online (cause of the Bermuda Triangle I suppose), I fell that with my level of play I'll be humiliated, that others players will think less of me and that's not my idea of fun. Maybe I'm wrong and the comunity it's very accepting, and they welcome new players (although I'm not so new cause I've been around since DOA 4. But very few matches online). I think that lots of people that play this game feel the same way. I love the game it's my favorite but maybe I'll enjoy it from the comfort of my home. Soo that's my excuse for not attending.

I don't live in the States so going to US Majors is challenging for me also, however I will tell you that no one will say anything bad about your play, quite the contrary, they'll give you tips on how you improve your play. You will level up TENFOLD just by attending and playing regularly at one Major for DOA. It's an experience that I can say with 100% confidence can't be replicated online ever.

It's not about winning, or losing, it's about levelling up your game and experience a different side of fighting games. I haven't regretted my experiences for a second at any of the US Majors that I attended. I can't emphasize enough how eye-opening it can be.

Also, if it helps, I will let you know that Tom Lee is one of the chillest people that you'll ever meet. :cool:

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
One of the main reasons I can't go is because I'm a college student with a limited budget and no job, so I cannot make it out to tournaments. While I would, there needs to be something else that has yet to be addressed. There are people who start getting to know people by joining Facebook groups or forums like this, however, they will often run into individuals (and even top players) who will come at them in a negative way. Thus, that right there can also turn people away from wanting to go to tournaments in the first place. The FGC as a whole has a lot of growing up to do in order to get more people in.

Also, me personally, if I'm going to pay to go to an event and enter something, I'm going in with the mindset to win. I'm TOO competitive to just go to a tournament and not at least place in the Top 8. I understand that there are better players, but there are people like me who feel that they wasted money if they don't place where they want to. As you all can see, there are various reasons for why people do not want to or cannot go to tournaments, even if they have thought about it.

Kohlrak

Which is why people pay 50 bucks to hear a single playthough of a CD.

IMO unless its in Chicago I cant make it 2 kids 2 car notes and a mortgage.I gotta get on my grind,its just a game .i dont have the time or the means 2 go out of my way 2 play a game.I know some of you guys make money off these tournaments, youtbe accounts,n twitch.kudos 2 you 4 living the dream.but 4 me KIT was memphis . After renting a car and gas and lodging even winning the tournament wtf 500 dollars !!! just barely break even ..maybe.And anybody can be beat in this game. even Eliot or Zack can win we just dont see them cause all the tournament regulars use the same 5 chars...........so S/O Excalibur for his win w/Eliot against Kasumi .....and hoodless for his exciting RIG play at KIT.and just know even tho I cant make it to most of the events.I support the players that do.

Chisa

My excuse for not attempting in tournaments is simple: there's no tournaments in Europe. I'm sure there's plenty of others who would want to but they can't because they don't live in USA.

Players will become more competitive if there is a reason to be competitive. Tournaments motivate players.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
My excuse for not attempting in tournaments is simple: there's no tournaments in Europe. I'm sure there's plenty of others who would want to but they can't because they don't live in USA.

Players will become more competitive if there is a reason to be competitive. Tournaments motivate players.

Don't worry. I'm sure I'll drag you over to France/UK at some point.

They've got some stuff going on there.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
I don't live in the States so going to US Majors is challenging for me also, however I will tell you that no one will say anything bad about your play, quite the contrary, they'll give you tips on how you improve your play. You will level up TENFOLD just by attending and playing regularly at one Major for DOA. It's an experience that I can say with 100% confidence can't be replicated online ever.
That's a distortion of the truth, not to mention a way to set newcomers up for disappointment when they don't see the godlike results they want.

Leveling up ain't as simple as just going to a major and suddenly you're up and all of a sudden an unbeatable DOA god overnight. If that was true, the results of the majors would be truly unpredictable, and even the high/top level players would be shitting bricks with sweat effects on the palm of their hands every match. Hell, you would've made top 3 without even trying just spending 2 hours in the major! =P

But seriously, leveling up is a lot more than just attending one major and having experienced players want to go out of their way to talk to you... that's scratching the surface. The players can tell you everything 'til they're blue in the face, but leveling up begins when you begin to truly understand the lingo of DOA terminology on your own - frame data and all - and apply it to the best of your own abilities, while at the same time getting some matches in with experienced players willing to help you in order to at least get a feel of playing someone who knows what he/she is doing.

Whether you get this experience online or offline, it doesn't matter. It's all the better though if you have enough time to adjust to the differences offline on what works and doesn't work. 'Cause let's be real here, not all of us are fortunate to have consistent offline comp.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD