Characters A quick Bass tutorial

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Had a conversation with Rabies as he wanted me to teach him Bass. Here's what came off the top of my head. Might clean it up later and make it more formalized but have fun:

well first of all 41236H+P is 18i btw, 66H+P is 16i.
your best pokes are P+K, PK, 3K, 6P, 2P, and 1P.
If you land 214H+P 6H+P combo throw, you get a nearly guaranteed 6KP after it. I say nearly because the person has to stagger fastest and hold to get the P, but most people do either stagger or mash hold so it's in effect guaranteed.
63214H+P (360)H+P guarantees a 662H+P
Doesn't guarantee anything after the pickup besides pressure so it's best to go for either 33P, 66P+K, or 41236H+P uncharged.
You can shortcut the TFBB by doing 6641236H+P or 643H+P as long as any notation at any time is a crouch frame.
If you land 6P+K you have the option to do a standing 10i H+P normal throw, a string followup launching linear K, a low OH 2H+P that leaves him +10 and still BT, or free cancel into BT 4K which sit-downs on counter hit (or opponent is in stun) and tracks.
Any of his sitdowns guarantee 3K or 33P
So you can do 9PP 3K 33P if the second hit of 9PP connects
If you land BT H+P he gets a guaranteed Backturn throw of your choice up to a non-charged 41236H+P. If you land the 41236H+P backturned in water you'll do the move animation as if it were the fully charged version.
In that same throw advantage from BT H+P you can do 9PP 3K 33P guaranteed for launch
3K is your primary poke
6P is your secondary
for long/mid distance
6P tracks and is -4 on guard, can generally be strung extended to 6PK which is a high launcher but very difficult to react to, or can be 6PP which is another tracking attack that's -4 on guard.
3K doesn't track but is his fastest long range move and is -7 on guard, -6 at tip distance.
I don't recommend doing it bu the 3KP is safe on guard and gives you a crumple stun.
3KK will smake any attack interrupters even 9 frame jabbers I believe.
66K is +3 but on fast characters it's just best to backdash. It's his secondary way to get back-turned for his BT game.
but causes knockback on hit, but can have close hit properties
6P+K is your primary backturned attack but is -9 on guard so recommended only if you're stringing or if the opponent is in stun/will be counter-hit
his only other BT capable attack is 3_P+K which is -5 on guard but high crushes.
causes a lift stun if hit.
allowing you to BT 4K or H+P mix-up
As for his juggles
typically 3P6KP is your B&B
you'll have to learn the juggle heights to frestyle but you want to end your juggles with 2H+P.
the pick-up isn't guaranteed from any juggles, but it's an option select. If the oponent doesn't tech you get pick-up and are at +13. If the opponent does tech, you should whiff your 2H+P low throw (instead of whiffing pick-up) and you'll be at +6 when they they recover.
1K on counter-hit in water guarantees 3K 33P. Same fo 6KK if the initial 6K doesn't hit.
After 1P you can to 63214H+P and you'll either get one of three results: His Fireman's carry (63214H+P), Kitchen Sink (214H+P), or TFBB (2_64H+P). All are good throws, just TFBB does the most damage. Kitchen Sink is variable. If they are mashing an attack then you score Counter-hit on the 6K, hi-counter if they are mashing throw after it.

Last edited:

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Yo, just a few pointers/corrections:

6P is -4 on block, -3 on normal hit
3KP and 3KK are both safe on block (-2 and -4 respectively). 3KK actually combos (not natural) on normal hit because of the 3K critical stun. Like Wah said, it's not interruptable, unlike 3KP.
Thanks for the extra TFBB shortcut, btw.
I think it's valuable for people to know that BT 4K causes a sit-down stun on stunned opponent, counter hit or crouching opponent. Which means that now it can actually stop Christie or Bayman from going into their stances since they're crouching.
I think it's worth including PK from backturned since it's good against some SS tactics and after 66K, standing P is pretty much a 10i jab which transitions straight into a mid that can cause a sit-down stun. Again, that's just my opinion, because some people would still try to use standing jabs and BT 4K would be a bit slow to counter that
3P+K H+P is good in juggles where you'd want to go for max damage, but again that is my opinion. It's good, especially in superlauncher combos because unlike 41236H+PH+P, it hasn't got shit oki options and the grab part scales better compared to the other airthrows.

Batcommander

great writeup, this and the champion's edition thread is really helpful.

I have some questions tho:
1)You say 3KP is not recommended (which i agree, is held really easily in my experience), but what is the best thing to follow 3K up with? 3KK knocks them away and i dont want that either.

2)If you know your opponent is going to tech roll your juggle for sure, how much more frames of advantage would you get if you don't use 2T? Is it worth it to risk not using it?

3)Is it worth it to use the bnb juggle near a wall, or just better to go for an air throw in that instance? It doesnt seem like you get squat if the opponent hits a wall during a juggle.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
great writeup, this and the champion's edition thread is really helpful.

I have some questions tho:
1)You say 3KP is not recommended (which i agree, is held really easily in my experience), but what is the best thing to follow 3K up with? 3KK knocks them away and i dont want that either.

2)If you know your opponent is going to tech roll your juggle for sure, how much more frames of advantage would you get if you don't use 2T? Is it worth it to risk not using it?

3)Is it worth it to use the bnb juggle near a wall, or just better to go for an air throw in that instance? It doesnt seem like you get squat if the opponent hits a wall during a juggle.

I did a a writeup on the blender if you're interested. Should pretty much give you enough pointers and yes, it's always worth going for unless you've conditioned your opponent to always tech or if you're playing against a Christie who always techs (the latter is my opinion, but since she's a mid weight character, you'd end up with the least amount of frame advantage in a blender with her.

1) You can always get a potential pickup after 3KK. If the opponent doesn't tech, you can buffer a dash and go for a grab attempt and you're at a major frame advantage if they do tech. 3KP itself isn't bad either and the recovery is very good and you'd get an unstaggerable gut crumple stun on CH/HCH or critical stun.

2) I would suggest you always go for the blender. That's just me and even if your opponent knows they're at frame disadvantage, they're always try to do something 8/10 times because of the fear of TFBB, especially if they try to tech in a corner. If they tech backwards, your OHs will still reach them, even if they try to backdash.

3) Your BnB near a wall is 9PKP after a wall hit. If you're referring to 3P 6KP, then yes, you can still go for a potential blender even during the crumple animation. There's a timing to it, but you'll just have to pay attention to the animation.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Yes sometimes it's optimal to go for juggle damage over the blender, but it requires extreme adaptation to the current surroundings, and your stance in juggle to determine the best airthrow to use.

As for 3k strings, you want to use 3k as a poke. the string extension is used every so often to keep them respecting the followups. 3kp can be jab interrupted even without a delay, and that's why you use 3kk. 3kp can be reacted to where 3kk typically can't/isn't.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Yeah, Wah is right. In regards to blender vs. max damage situations, you need to be conscious of your surroundings and your stance to make a decision, because sometimes you can end up in a worse position if you judge incorrectly.

3K extensions are to make the opponent respect the poke, because the delay window is pretty good too.

BlankOctober

Standard Donor
Usually what I've been leaning towards lately is his :P+K: after his push away grab. Also, his :K: is cool, too. Those moves actually give me better sight of an opponent's guess, or lack thereof. They don't guess, they die. They guess wrong, they die.

charisma

I've also noticed, his 3p+k h+p is best on normal and in his super launcher. If you get a counter hit or hi-counter your best finisher is still his 41236h+p_h+p

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Well, "Best finisher" is dependent on what your goal is: Are you looking to get maximum damage? Then you'd probably do 41236H+P H+P. Are you looking to send them into a danger zone immediately in front of you? Then you'd probably do 41236H+P H+P. Are you looking to send them behind Bass so their back is to the wall? Then you'd probably do 3P+K H+P. Are you looking to send them into the fore/background for environment damage and positioning? Then you'd probably do H+P. Are you looking to keep pressing advantage against a character and not let them breathe? Then you'd probably do 6KP 2H+P.

It all depends on your game plan at the moment.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD