DOA5U Akira Tips & Tricks

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
Tricks:
1) Is my opponent slow escaping?:
The best way to test to see if you opponent slow escapes or not is to throw the move:3::K: in a CH situation and follow it with :236::P+K:. If they are not slow escaping, :3::K: leaves you at +23 and :P+K: will connect. If they are slow escaping, :P+K: will be blocked and a successful GBoD will fire off. Having this bit of information will allow you to know if your unorthodox combos and GBoD set ups will work or not.

2) Back turned :P+K::
When those clowns (kasumi, lisa, ayane, hyabusa) do their cute little jump over you move as you're getting up, allow them to. When you're getting up, don't rise with a kick, simply get up. Now that your back is turned, hit :P+K:. Profit as you successfully remove 1/4 of their life.

3) Pseudo Force Techs:
a):6::4::H+P:, :4::P::P+K:
b):4::6::P:, :214::P:
c):P+K::4::3::H+P::4::P:, :6::6:, :3::3::P+K:

4) Guard Break Of Doom Set Ups (:236::P+K:, :4::3::P+K:, :236::P:, :4::6::P+K:)
a) After: :6::P+K:. They don't even need to slow escape.
b) After: SS, :K:
c) After any forced tech.
d) After :2::P:.
e) After SS:P:
f) During any combo string, after :6::P+K:. 99.99999% of the time they're blocking.
g) After :6::P::4::P:. You're at +13 and the :236::P+K: takes 19 frames to land.
h) After :214::P+K:'s stumble stun do :6::6:, :236::P+K:.
i) After :4::H+P:
j) After an opponent completes a combo string
k) After opponents wake up if they don't use a kick
l) After :3::K: :5:
m) After :3::H+K::P::8::P+K: or :2::H+K::P::8::P+K:
n) After CH :2::K:

5) Guaranteed CB after :214::P:
It appears that the fastest :214::P: can be slow escaped is at -19. When compared to :6::6::P+K:'s execution being 19 (21 with the frame miss match) it seems that it is impossible to get a guaranteed CB, right? Wrong, there is some magic behind :214::P:. The further you get away from your opponent, the higher your advantage gets when :214::P: lands. There are two combo strings (when the opponent is in open space) that allow you the perfect spacing to leave you at +21 when :214::P: lands.

Against a guarding opponent: :P:, :6::P+K:, :6_::P:, :214::P:, :6::6::P+K:

6) Resetting Threshold
If you want to be tricky and reset the strike threshold and continue pressure against someone, you can do that with :3::K:, :3::P+K:. The move :3::K: leaves them at +23 if they do not slow escape. If they do slow escape, they're at +15. Unless they are pro slow escapers and reaction low block kings, this should work. Either way, they are JUST going to recover to be hit by :3::P+K: or get hit by the low stun. For example, you can do a big combo into a breakable object, follow it with :4::3: :P: to put them into a sit down stun, :3::K: to set them up for :3::P+K:.

7) Baiting a Hold With :4::P+K:
:4::P+K:
has the property of a crumple, +76, if used on CH or in a string. If you bring the opponent to the CB threshold with that move, you have serious options. Let's start with a combo that is easy and will put them into this situation:

:3::P+K:, :1::P:, :4::P+K:

Option 1: Go right for the CB as they cannot slow escape
Option 2: You can try to wait out a hold, but if they don't after about 30 frames, use :2::P: to pop them back up to continue your pressure. They have 16 frames to recover. Here are your options out of :2::P::
a) GBoD, it executes in 17 frames.
b) SS:K: will start up a new combo string
c) If their back is near a wall, :6::6::6::P: for a wall splat combo

8) :3::H+K::P+K: Frame Advantage
Ending your juggles with this notation doesn't give you a guaranteed force tech anymore, however, if an opponent techs (which they always will unless they're brain dead), this leaves you at +4. If your opponents like to press buttons, that means a :6::6::P: follow up is guaranteed to start your stun game all over again.

Tips:
1) Easy Double Palm Input
@Raoh figured out how to buffer :2_::4::6::P: without being in a crouching state. "You want to buffer the :4::6: somewhere in the range of recovery frames of your move and allow your stick or pad to go back to neutral. This is a MUST. I repeat, allowing your stick or pad to set to neutral is a MUST. Finally on the first frame after recovery (or damn near close to it) press :3::+::P:." This will allow you to pop the double palm off in hairy situations.

2) Learn to love :6_::P: when connecting combo strings. The length of stun and the quickness at which you can execute moves after creates panic in opponents.

3) Take the guessing out of his parry and use it mid string. For example, Lisa's :1::P: follows with a high :K:. After you block the :1::P:, drop :3::h: and profit as you perform one of the many combos below.
Open Space Combo: :3::h:, :P:, :214::P:, :P:, :3::H+K:, :P:, :4::6::6::P+K: 71 damage
Near A Wall Combo: :3::h:, :P:, :214::P:, :6_::P:, :H*+K:, :2::P:, :2_::4::6::P: 76 damage
Slope Combo: :3::h:, :P:, :214::P:, :6_::P:, :H*+K:, :4::6::6::P+K: 81 damage
Big Ass Slope Combo: :3::h:, :P:, :214::P:, :6_::P:, :H*+K:, :3::H+K::P::4::6::6::P+K: 91 damage

4) You can hold guard (:h:) and still execute strikes. Let's say an opponent is coming at you with :P::P::P: while you're guarding the whole time. While you're still holding guard, you can input :4::6::6: and try to time :P+K: just after the opponents last :P: hits your guard. You never have to release :h: and you get a pretty sweet whiff punishment.

5) Wall Splat Moves:
These moves are best used if the opponent's back is to the wall.
:4::6::P: (High)
:4::P::P: (High)
:K: (High)
:P::K:(High)
:6::6::6::P: (Mid)
:4::6::P+K: (Mid)
:3::H+K::P::P+K: (Mid, High, Mid)
:3::H+K::P::4::6::6::P+K: (Mid, High, Mid)
:6::6::K::K: (Mid)
:6::P::4::P::P: (Mid, High, High)
:6::P::4::P+K: (Mid, Mid)

6) Wall BLAST Moves:
These moves are best used if the opponent is about 1 and a half character lengths away from the wall. Follow up with :4::3::P:, :2::P:, :3::H+K::P::4::6::6::P+K:.

:2_::4::6::P: (Mid)
:4::6::6::P+K: (Mid)
:2::H+K::P::P: (Low, High, Mid)

7) Hopping Over Walls allows for 4 different attacks. They all depend on when you hit the button.
a) Hitting :P: when Akira is still hurtling the wall will perform his :8::P:
b) Hitting :P: right before Akira touches the ground will perform his :2_::4::6::P:
c) Hitting :K: when Akira is still hurtling the wall will perform his :8::K:
d) Hitting :K: right before Akira touches the ground will perform his kick combo throw. :6::P:, :4::K:, :H+P:

If the opponent is counter happy, there is also the option of holding :2_: to circle them about 15 degrees before using the throw, :6::4: :H+P:, :2::H+K:, :P:, :P:. It puts them right back into a danger zone for more guaranteed damage.

8) Let's talk about the move :K::h:. I'd like to point out that this move is completely useless against unskilled opponents. If that's who you're facing, then you can throw this move out the window. If you're against someone who counters intelligently or slow escapes, this is where the move really shines. The start up animation is the same for :3::K:, :3::H+K:, :6::K:, and obviously :K:. The knee is the only thing that's different. I've been playing opponents that counter as my move is executing. For example, I know I do the string, :3::P+K:, :3::K: a lot. I'd get punished for it with a counter quite a bit. I'd try baiting a counter by doing :3::P+K: and then waiting to grab them. The counters never came. Then I tried :3::P+K:, :K::h:, got my opponent to hold, and I followed up with :4::6::H+P:. I then interchanged it in my other strings where I would normally throw a kick and had continued success. Give it a try if you're feeling daring.

9) :1::P: is kind of a unique move. Useless on normal hit, fantastic on CH. I've been using it lately as a high crush to interrupt an opponent's attack string. It also allows for a SPoD on fastest stagger escape.

10) :4::6::6::P+K: is a high crush. I repeat, HIGH CRUSH. The frame data says it is a standing move, but it ducks under jabs and other high attacks. Nothing like starting off a match with a cool 126 damage on hi counter close hit! Also works great if you know a high strike is coming in the string. Consider buffering it when you're guarding.

Hidden Frame Data Tricks

Last edited:

coffeedad

I <3 Jesus...and coffee.
Premium Donor
What is a pseudo force tech? I have a hard time understanding how others force me to get up. No matter what I do I can't seem to get the same results. (Get ready for alot of basic questions Bass)

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Pseudo FT letter A has a benefit for online. For odd reasons people can't really escape it sometimes. (Except for offline which the computer can get up no problems, and the timing is more free with no delays when doing offline.) About 90% of the time it still catches people. You'd have to really try to get out of that one.

Hajin'

Hey !
Since Sly Bass lured me with some dope music I actually felt the urgent need to play Akira ! So I went to the lab to try some stuff and I gotta say ... I love the character more and more.
He seems like a very efficient character and, that's maybe just me, he looks ... SO BRUTAL ! I mean getting destroyed by Akira is really hard on the moral, dude is crushing you hardcore ! And what happens to people hit by fear? They freeze, guard and get GboD'ed. I'm not gonna lie I love the " dynamic " I seem to understand here !!

So here I am, with many questions ! Sorry if that's a wrong topic to ask, let me know if I should go elsewhere.

First of all what is Akira's main strenghts/weaknesses?
I didn't find any keep away tool or viable poke in his command list so I'm guessing he's more of a rushdown character, close range being his comfort zone. Since he got a i10 jab at +1 on block and an i12 2P +1 NH, plus some pretty good gap closers, everything fits the profile ! He looks like he can open up people pretty easily too. So I figured he must lack in the defense departement but he got 2 parries and a side step body check. So I'm wondering what he really does best and what he lacks. So I can develop a proper gameplan.

Does Akira look for something in particular?
Counter hit? A blocking opponent? And what kind of rushdown character he is? Frame trap or mix ups? What kind of weakness must I exploit in my opponent?

Is there a top 10 move?
I can do GboD and the other one with P+K no problem (been playing fighting game for some times), I guess 66P is a must, I love 46P, 6P+K the 3K+HP and 2K+HP side step (even tho the second is always high so use with caution I guess) and a lot of moves sound promising but I'd love to know if I should focus on some instead of other at the begining.

Is bodycheck bad ass?
Still hurt like a nitroglycerin truck as I can see but is it a true mid? I mean can I stuff Helena doing BKO 22 with it? That would be the tits ! Is it spammable? I know it's -32 so it's awful on block but nobody ever punish in this game for some reason and it's always funny to see people rage at a good ol' close hit&counter hit bodycheck ! So I'm curious.

That'll be all for now I guess. Sorry again if it's the wrong topic !

I really hope I'll enjoy playing Akira he seems REALLY fun ! Especially GboDing frightened people !!
In the meantime ... KONO TOKI WO MATTETA ZE !!!

Bonus question for Sly Bass : Do you know where I can find that " Rock with you " remix from soundcloud? Looks like the file was erased so it's not downloadable anymore :(

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Hey !
Since Sly Bass lured me with some dope music I actually felt the urgent need to play Akira ! So I went to the lab to try some stuff and I gotta say ... I love the character more and more.
He seems like a very efficient character and, that's maybe just me, he looks ... SO BRUTAL ! I mean getting destroyed by Akira is really hard on the moral, dude is crushing you hardcore ! And what happens to people hit by fear? They freeze, guard and get GboD'ed. I'm not gonna lie I love the " dynamic " I seem to understand here !!

So here I am, with many questions ! Sorry if that's a wrong topic to ask, let me know if I should go elsewhere.

First of all what is Akira's main strenghts/weaknesses?
I didn't find any keep away tool or viable poke in his command list so I'm guessing he's more of a rushdown character, close range being his comfort zone. Since he got a i10 jab at +1 on block and an i12 2P +1 NH, plus some pretty good gap closers, everything fits the profile ! He looks like he can open up people pretty easily too. So I figured he must lack in the defense departement but he got 2 parries and a side step body check. So I'm wondering what he really does best and what he lacks. So I can develop a proper gameplan.

Does Akira look for something in particular?
Counter hit? A blocking opponent? And what kind of rushdown character he is? Frame trap or mix ups? What kind of weakness must I exploit in my opponent?

Is there a top 10 move?
I can do GboD and the other one with P+K no problem (been playing fighting game for some times), I guess 66P is a must, I love 46P, 6P+K the 3K+HP and 2K+HP side step (even tho the second is always high so use with caution I guess) and a lot of moves sound promising but I'd love to know if I should focus on some instead of other at the begining.

Is bodycheck bad ass?
Still hurt like a nitroglycerin truck as I can see but is it a true mid? I mean can I stuff Helena doing BKO 22 with it? That would be the tits ! Is it spammable? I know it's -32 so it's awful on block but nobody ever punish in this game for some reason and it's always funny to see people rage at a good ol' close hit&counter hit bodycheck ! So I'm curious.

That'll be all for now I guess. Sorry again if it's the wrong topic !

I really hope I'll enjoy playing Akira he seems REALLY fun ! Especially GboDing frightened people !!
In the meantime ... KONO TOKI WO MATTETA ZE !!!

Bonus question for Sly Bass : Do you know where I can find that " Rock with you " remix from soundcloud? Looks like the file was erased so it's not downloadable anymore :(

Great :). He's my main and favorite character. He's very efficient and really fun to use. The only downside is that he's the least most used character.

I can probably answer some of them. For more in depth you may need to ask Sly (Although you did answer some of them though lol.) He's a really good character and can provide some really good pressure game and open people up really well. His downside is that he lacks on the tracking department, not too many tracking moves so you may have to grab SStepping opponents more. The other issue is that he's actually one of the hardest characters to use. First time players may take awhile to go in depth on what he can do or adapt on how he is. If you gotten his GBoD and SPoD down that's really good. The best way to fully claim that you really gotten it is if you try them on a human opponent.

To look for something particular and 10 top moves you may have to ask Sly but a few of them are a must such as:

:3::H+K::P::4::6::6::P+K:
:H*::K:

Sly can explain the rest. I need to get in touch with him on Xbox for the video were making.

Nameless Sama

Does Akira has a guarantee sit stun ?
Waht about :4::3::P: ?

I have noticed that Akira have back turned Attack if the opponent are behind Akira so my question is does Akira has a move which he can back turned ?
:akira:

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
Does Akira has a guarantee sit stun ?
Waht about :4::3::P: ?

I have noticed that Akira have back turned Attack if the opponent are behind Akira so my question is does Akira has a move which he can back turned ?
Only normal hit sit down he has is :214::P:. :4::3::P: is only on counter hit.

Best back turned move is :P+K:. 11 frames and HUGE damage.

PuertoRicanStyL

so my question is does Akira has a move which he can back turned ?

No. Akira doesn't have any moves that leave him back turned. Like said (somewhat) in the opening post, the only way you'll be back turned with Akira depends on the actions of your opponent. Only they can make you be in the back turned position.

Don't know if this is old/known or not. I didn't see anywhere, so I figured under "Tips & Tricks" would be best suited for this.. One thing I stumbled across in Dojo. For his GBoD move, you can just do :4::1::2::3::6: over and over (4 times) and hit the required buttons for each move at the end of your half circle motion and it'll work.
i.e. :4::1::2::3::6: :P:+:K:, :4::1::2::3::6: :P:+:K:, :4::1::2::3::6: :P:, :4::1::2::3::6: :P:+:K:

You can even spin the stick in full circles if you so desired. Just hit the required input when your stick hits the forward direction. It makes the move much much easier to pull off because you don't have to be precise at all really. You're just spinning the stick and hitting buttons, lol. Kind of a brainless way to do it.

I tried that when I figured out you can do his :2::6::P:,:P: move by simply doing an hadouken :2::3::6::P:motion. Don't have to hold :2: or nothin, just do the hadouken and push :P:.

Last edited:

Nameless Sama

I am begging you so much I really need an akira mentor. On xbox and on PSN they arent so many akira players I just need a trainings partner and see which mistakes I make and what my weaknesses are.

PuertoRicanStyL

I honestly would like to help. But I'm pretty noobish in the DoA system. I'm still basically playing Akira VF style, which works to an extent. But only takes me so far. I don't know any max damage or character specific combos. Nor know how to defend against certain characters and how to interrupt their strings. And my DoA fundamentals are low. I only have some success with him because I've been using him in Virtua Fighter for about 5 years. I'm just relying on his elbow and :2:+:P:

I don't want to speak for him. But I think Sly holds tutorial nights. Just make sure you have a mic.

G'head and add me if you want also. Doesn't hurt to have some Akira players on your list if one is trying to get better with him. I'll be more than happy to try share and show what I know. Hopefully we'll have a good connection. Mine has been wonky since the update. I have smooth connections with people from Switzerland, but lag with people from California :/

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
So I've been playing around with keeping momentum. I'm brought back to :1::6::H+P:, :h:. The more I think about it, the more I find that it acts the same way as hitomi and zack's :6::H+P:. It guarantees you nothing for a follow up in terms of the stun game, but you are at advantage.

Let's talk about each option and what can go right and wrong

1. :P: follow up
  • Can be hit immediately or super delayed. The delay will catch a side stepping opponent. This will initiate your stun game and guarantee a :P: or :6::6::P: follow up.
  • If delayed, you can be jabbed out
  • :P: on guard is safe at -4. So mashing out is an option.
2. :K: follow up
  • Can initiate your stun game if the opponent is against a wall. You're at +13 and your jab will connect
  • Can be side stepped
  • In open space, they're pushed too far away to maintain momentum
3. Free Cancel to :4::P:
  • This is mainly to catch anyone who is trying to side step. If successfully caught, you can maintain the stun game and momentum with a :h::P: follow up
  • If they guard the initial hit, you can always free cancel back into :1::6::H+P: or finish the string with :P: to be left at -3
4. Grab 'em again :1::6::H+P:, :h:
  • They will get frustrated when caught again. Chances of them pressing buttons is higher. Opens them up for the :P: follow up

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
So I've been playing around with keeping momentum. I'm brought back to :1::6::H+P:, :h:. The more I think about it, the more I find that it acts the same way as hitomi and zack's :6::H+P:. It guarantees you nothing for a follow up in terms of the stun game, but you are at advantage.

Let's talk about each option and what can go right and wrong

1. :P: follow up
  • Can be hit immediately or super delayed. The delay will catch a side stepping opponent. This will initiate your stun game and guarantee a :P: or :6::6::P: follow up.
  • If delayed, you can be jabbed out
  • :P: on guard is safe at -4. So mashing out is an option.
2. :K: follow up
  • Can initiate your stun game if the opponent is against a wall. You're at +13 and your jab will connect
  • Can be side stepped
  • In open space, they're pushed too far away to maintain momentum
3. Free Cancel to :4::P:
  • This is mainly to catch anyone who is trying to side step. If successfully caught, you can maintain the stun game and momentum with a :h::P: follow up
  • If they guard the initial hit, you can always free cancel back into :1::6::H+P: or finish the string with :P: to be left at -3
4. Grab 'em again :1::6::H+P:, :h:
  • They will get frustrated when caught again. Chances of them pressing buttons is higher. Opens them up for the :P: follow up

What would be your take from :214::H+P: as well? This throw is the least most used throw in the game and I could never find a proper use for it.

Zeo

I don't agree with the use of that throw just yet. On paper it's a bad idea.

If you use the followup and it's blocked, your turn is over and you're at -4 when you could have used a throw of the same speed for 70-115 damage, a third of your opponent's health bar. In the event you don't use the followup you're at -3 if you don't use the :h: followup to the throw and if you do use the followup and not the punch you are in double digit negative frames. Against an opponent with this knowledge (and in an offline environment possibly) it turns into a 50/50 with actually very legit potential to turn sour.

I'll play around with it the next chance I get, but so far I'm not sold. A throw like Hitomi's carries promise and little risk, this throw on the other hand carries very significant risk and in generally all cases where you don't use the followups, you are acting out of disrespect for frame data and basically, doing whatever your opponent is allowing you to get away with.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
I don't agree with the use of that throw just yet. On paper it's a bad idea.

If you use the followup and it's blocked, your turn is over and you're at -4 when you could have used a throw of the same speed for 70-115 damage, a third of your opponent's health bar. In the event you don't use the followup you're at -3 if you don't use the :h: followup to the throw and if you do use the followup and not the punch you are in double digit negative frames. Against an opponent with this knowledge (and in an offline environment possibly) it turns into a 50/50 with actually very legit potential to turn sour.

I'll play around with it the next chance I get, but so far I'm not sold. A throw like Hitomi's carries promise and little risk, this throw on the other hand carries very significant risk and in generally all cases where you don't use the followups, you are acting out of disrespect for frame data and basically, doing whatever your opponent is allowing you to get away with.
It's true; however, there has got to be something to it still.

Zeo

The real beauty in that throw Sly, is that it was shortened to i7, which gives it a bit more utility but ultimately I consider it too much of a gamle.

Anyway, I've been playing around with keeping advantage myself and discovered yet another pesudo-force tech, the same type of thing I found for Ein but just a bit more potent.

Recently I saw a video of an Akira using which I completely forgot existed since his force tech game was removed. :3::H+K::P+K: Originally I thought that this move became useless after the ground game change but I discovered not only is it a reasonable/unexpected launching tool but also a gateway to hiddden advantage and a potential nightmare for those who don't like to tech up.

Going off NH damage, :3::H+K::P+K: does 31. Now, that can be linked into :P: :3::H+K::P::4::6::6::P+K: at level 1 threshold for a reasonable 64 damage on level 1 threshold. But if the opponent doesn't immediately tech, you can opt for :2::P: which adds to the combo counter and locks the opponent to the ground. From then your followup options are :4::3::P:, :6::6: :2::P:, :6::6: :2::H+K: and :6::6: :3::3::P+K:. Any one of these will force the opponent up guaranteed if they don't tech before the initial :2::P: lands.

After a bit of testing I found your greatest options after it are :4::3::P: :2:/:8::h: and :2::P:. The former gives you 39 damage and +13, the least of the FT advantage but the built in sidestep puts you right in front of your opponent after they get up giving you the easiest followup pressure possible, including the built in followups to the command sidestep one of which include a +6 GB.

The latter option, :2::P: gives you the least damage of all the force techs but a colossal amount of frame advantage on the force tech. You are still required to dash in after the 2nd :2::P: forces the opponent up, but at a whopping +31 frame advantage the world is your oyster and you can do just about anything you want.

On the other hand, if the opponent opts to tech up immediately after :3::H+K::P+K: then you are granted hidden advantage. If you immediately use a followup attack after the whiffed :2::P: on your recovered opponent, you will counter blow them if they press buttons.

Testing vs Kasumi, everything up to i17 counter blew her i9 jab on wakeup after the whiffed :2::P:. How much advantage that is I'm not sure, feeling a bit lazy. But this means that anything up to i18 will work on normal characters and anything up to i17 will work on 9 frame jabbers guaranteed. But the input must be executed immediately after :2::P: or you lose the advantage.

A good vortex I found put into practice for example against button friendly players.

:4::P: > :P: > :P+K::4::3::F::6::P: > :6::6: :3::3::P+K: (Guaranteed) > CH :H+K::P+K: > (Whiffed) :2::P: > CH :H+K::P+K:.

I believe this has vortex potential but it's not something that can be overused as opponents will learn and start holding the mid punch followup to :H+K:. However that does give you more freedom for the high followup into the command sidestep as well as :6::4::F: if your opponent gets twitchy with holding.

EDIT:

I'm afraid most of this has become negated. After testing with an actual player your opponent can tech up after being hit by the first 2P so you are not locked into a force tech. You can still negate wakeup kicks with a dash in 2P but you are not guaranteed anything afterwards. You are instead guessing as to see if they recover or not. If they don't you get the FT, if not you're at negative if you press a button.

Me and my big mouth.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD