DOA5U Akira Tips & Tricks

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
Added #10 under tips.

"10) :4::6::6::P+K: is a high crush. I repeat, HIGH CRUSH. The frame data says it is a standing move, but it ducks under jabs and other high attacks. Nothing like starting off a match with a cool 126 damage on hi counter close hit! Also works great if you know a high strike is coming in the string. Consider buffering it when you're guarding."

Heikou

Standard Donor
Added #10 under tips.

"10) :4::6::6::P+K: is a high crush. I repeat, HIGH CRUSH. The frame data says it is a standing move, but it ducks under jabs and other high attacks. Nothing like starting off a match with a cool 126 damage on hi counter close hit! Also works great if you know a high strike is coming in the string. Consider buffering it when you're guarding."
I also enjoy using it to punish whiffed wakeup kicks, though it may not be the best move for that.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Useless stuff I want to throw in there, perhaps useful or not. Dunno.

Didn't see it in the thread, if it's there then nevermind. But :1::6::H+P::h::K: Next to a wall. If they block the low, :P:/:P::P: is guaranteed. Kinda pointless since they can just hold the kick as well as Side Step.

Zeo

I always wondered why I could wake up and crush jabs with :4::6::6::P+K:. Always just chalked it up to online.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
I come to you people with more tech. The Akira section has gotten quiet.

After a low throw, :2::H+P:, IMMEDIATELY follow it with :2::P: into :4::3::P:. One of three things can happen. (I would love for someone to help me get the exact frame advantage for each option.)
1. They wake up kick. No worries, you're still at advantage and can counter or block.
2. They tech up. No worries, you're still at a greater advantage.
3. They don't wake up kick fast enough, and you'll tech them up. Maximum advantage.

Next item on the list, unholdable. Level 1 threshold launch with the KNEE. Juggle, KNEE, :3::H+K::P+K:. :214::P:.

Now get out there and help me find more stuff.

Zeo

After a :3::H+K::P::4::6::6::P+K: finisher after a typical wall splat, immediately buffer :214::F+P: and then :236::P+K: immediately after. The GBoD becomes unholdable and unavoidable. The only options are NH/CH/Ducking and of course, blocking it like a man.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Praise the heavens they fixed the follow-up :P: from the parry from low punches! I thought they ignored the video I sent them on twitter about the problem.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
I got two more for you fellas, and it involves the use of :H+K::P:!

1. If they're near a wall, :6::H+P:, :H+K::P: connects into a wall splat combo.
2. Wall splat into :214::P:, :P:, :H+K::P:, Then :K::h:, into Full Charge :4::6::[[p+k]]:. Depending on how they tech, you can score another wall splat combo.

Zeo

I was saving up 2 peices of undiscovered and underrated tech myself that I planned on taking to TFC, not quite the stash you had up your sleeve, but I was leaving it uncovered until the tourney's passing. Considering my time with this game is coming to an end soon, I may as well.

After a standard wall splat BnB with the typical :3::h::+::K::P::4::6::6::P+K: finisher. Immediately buffer: :6::6:, :2::1::4::P:. If you timed it correctly, you will not only negate wakeup kick entirely, but you will land a +25 sit down stun and will only suffer a meager -4 if the opponent techs immediately. If your timing is off then the advantage will rotate between +22 and +24 and your negative frames may shoot up to as much as -9.

Second, Akira has a mixup vortex that has never been used to it's utmost potential. That vortex I discovered 2 days before TFC and it lies within these 2 moves:

:6::6::P+K: and :6::4::F+P:. And here's why. :6::6::P+K: is seen by many as his critical burst but it is an incredible tool in neutral all on it's own and it's been overlooked all this time. So let's get into it.

:6::6::P+K: > :F: has the followups that aren't guaranteed as you know with the mid punch and the low kick GB but what people seem to overlook is that the move on it's own has the unique property of +9 frame advantage if you don't finish the combo throw after the inital :F: followup.

This gives you a plethora of options.

- i10 :6::6::P+K: > :F:. - This is beating out everything that isn't a sidestep, i9 jab, JAK, BKO Duck, Tank Roll and of course mid punch hold. If you anticipate it being blocked you can make it safe with the followup and if it hits successfully then your opponent is thrown back into the exact same +9 situation with 44 to 50 points of damage shaved off their life bar.

- i1 to i3 :6::4::F+P:. - This depends on your buffering speed. This throw will go through some characters if buffered immediately, I believe it's a hitbox thing but basically, this of course beats blocking and stepping and will lose out to strikes, high crush sidesteps and Godlike fuzzyguarding. If it lands successfully then you can either grab a nice chunk of damage or force tech for what I believe is +20 into another :6::4::F+P: if you expect a step or block and :6::6::P+K: > :F: if you anticipate a strike which puts your opponent in yet another 50/50.

- ANYTHING else. - At +9 the world is your oyster. NH stunning mids, :3::P+K: or :2::1::4::P: if you anticipate them sitting there blocking, of course the GBoD if you're feeling yourself and pretty much whatever else depending on your opponent's habits. Go nuts.

While :6::6::P+K: only gets the combo throw followup when used in neutral and not in stun, it can be set up in a variety of ways thanks to Akira's guard breaks and various shallow stuns. And there's the throw which of course can be used in any situation. They said Akira didn't have an offensive vortex, they were wrong.

Last edited:

Heikou

Standard Donor
How did you test beating the wakeup kicks out? Also, was there some method to finding that those setups beat wakeup kicks, or did you sort of stumble across it?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD