Anti-Helena strats "What happened to all that spirit you had a moment ago?"

DR2K

Helena's bully technology is back from DOA4. By bully we mean force tech. It's not as good as it was in DOA4, guaranteed advantage, but it is more frequent as it can be done from any combo when her handslaps are used as a combo ender.

Now she's target number one for the community and anti-strats will be coming up. Might as well start this discussion up.

Besides her handslap tech she does have other tools players can't seem to punish/defend against.

QCB throw allows for 6pp to be guaranteed, 6ppk when facing wall. Everything else is a mix up.

BT throw has no guarnateed follow ups, all mix ups.

BKO duck loses to downward mids now. A lot of people respect this tool more than they should.

On block she's at a lot of disadvantage, -4 for any hand slap in a combo, +0 with naked handslap. What this means is that a low jab can get Helena out of BKO on block.

Height wise, Helena's best tools are mid punches. So when you're being put in the stun game that's your best guess.

Doug Nguyen

I think 3PP is guaranteed on BT throw. No ones ever countered me but that might be the online. I hope i dont suddenly start getting destroyed now that everyone is finding ways to beat out Helena.

Omegan Eckhart

I think 3PP is guaranteed on BT throw. No ones ever countered me but that might be the online. I hope i dont suddenly start getting destroyed now that everyone is finding ways to beat out Helena.
BT grab does guarantee 3PP, and so what if people figure her tech out? That's when the fun begins and you prey on their supposed understanding of how she works and really fuck them in the ass!

Doug Nguyen

BT grab does guarantee 3PP, and so what if people figure her tech out? That's when the fun begins and you prey on their supposed understanding of how she works and really fuck them in the ass!
HAha never thought of it that way. I guess i will have fun ruining peoples theories and still beating them.

CrimsonCJ

Thank you for confirming this. And totally agreed on the tech situation. It's all about managing expectations.

(Though, er, interesting way to put that.)

synce

Helena's never given me that much trouble unless there's heavy lag, which probably benefits her more than anyone else in DOA5... as for strats I try to keep away and play on my terms. Wait for the whiff, get my juggle in, retreat and repeat. Helena seems weak at a distance

BlackxxxMamba

Helena's bully technology is back from DOA4. By bully we mean force tech. It's not as good as it was in DOA4, guaranteed advantage, but it is more frequent as it can be done from any combo when her handslaps are used as a combo ender.

To be honest, I think the force tech in this game is MUCH better than it was in DOA4. Like you said, it can be done from any combo and anywhere. In DOA4, you only got it from a BKO Throw. Even though it is less advantage in DOA5, it still pretty much puts you in the same scenario as it did in DOA4. It's still the same mixups as before. Only difference is that she doesn't have Uncounterable Setups anymore.

DR2K

To be honest, I think the force tech in this game is MUCH better than it was in DOA4. Like you said, it can be done from any combo and anywhere. In DOA4, you only got it from a BKO Throw. Even though it is less advantage in DOA5, it still pretty much puts you in the same scenario as it did in DOA4. It's still the same mixups as before. Only difference is that she doesn't have Uncounterable Setups anymore.

Yeah it's definitely a quanity vs quality thing. The quantity being everytime, but with less advantage is preferable.

BlackDiamond890

Helena's never given me that much trouble unless there's heavy lag, which probably benefits her more than anyone else in DOA5... as for strats I try to keep away and play on my terms. Wait for the whiff, get my juggle in, retreat and repeat. Helena seems weak at a distance

I totally disagree with the first sentence, lag hurts me more using Helena than any other character. I'd perfer to use Ayane, Kokoro or Hitomi in situations of heavy lag. Reason is, Helena uses a hefty helping of free-canceling in her combos and stun game in general. Lag DESTROYS her because of lag-eaten inputs. Even simple as hell combos like BKO throw :P: :6: :6: :K: :P: :P: drop for me...

As for the second sentence, I do wholeheartedly agree with. Helena is absolutely awful at range... When Helena has to run in to get her damage, the defender holds all the cards. Her running :P: is -9 on block, her running :K: is slow and rather predictable, and her guard break is slow and high, either to be countered or simply ducked, and heck, sometimes even just backed away from...

Intelligent Alpha

She is! Yet, distance may be a good thing for her if people were SMART about it! I'm not constantly in someone's face with her, yet I still win! Starting to play her more now!

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD