Media Attack Trading and Other System Issues in DOA5

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
ha i knew that was metal gear despite never hearing it in my life!

cool video. never really noticed a tie wasn't possible because its so rare just to get one double ko let alone 2 unless you're derping, in which case it doesn't really matter who gets the win.

Lulu

Damn I wish I could watch the video.....

Does it have the "Slow Mo Effect" Glitch ?

WAZAAAAA

Damn I wish I could watch the video.....

Does it have the "Slow Mo Effect" Glitch ?
YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO EXPECT

Was this really necessary for the front page?
No, we need more 1 hour and 52 minutes long Ayane combo videos instead. j/k

Thank you @Mr. Wah. To be honest, if I were one of the developers, of all those bugs the only thing I would bother to fix would be the throws randomness, making both throws whiff would be a simple solution.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
No, we need more 1 hour and 52 minutes long Ayane combo videos instead. j/k

When has there ever been a "1 hour and 52 minutes long Ayane combo video" on the Front Page before? It's just when I visit FSD, it doesn't really leave a good impression of the game if I end up seeing a Front Page post that, quite frankly, makes the game look bad. This would be better reserved as a Media Section post (which it is).

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Thank you @Mr. Wah. To be honest, if I were one of the developers, of all those bugs the only thing I would bother to fix would be the throws randomness, making both throws whiff would be a simple solution.

I wouldn't recommend that solution. I think random should be determined by last resort honestly, but there should be multiple layers of checks and balances. I don't think both players whiffing the animation would lead to a better result from both a visual and a gameplay perspective.

It should be said that you weren't the first to bring up the throw connection randomness, and it appears actually that they did improve it most likely in Ultimate or Last Round since I believe @d3v reported that in Vanilla it was just random regardless of throw startup speed.

Virtua Fighter for example has it's double-hit system go through the following checks:
The attack with the higher damage wins.
If both attacks do the same damage, then the attack with the slower execution wins.
If the damage and execution are the same, then the player with 50 points less than their opponent wins.
If a player doesn't have 50 points less than their opponent, the double hit occurs or in the case of throws is randomly decided.

Xhominid The Demon Within

I hate doing the whole call out thing, but I honestly have to do this just this once:

Syirine
"Why would anyone want to play this competitively after watching this."

"Apparently never watch the beginning of the video stating ALL fighting games have glitches in them(which they do) and the glitches and system bugs aren't even gamebreaking past the Double K.O. for both players at match point(which is already rare as hell enough getting it at all)"

As someone stated in the comment section, there is already bugs for Tekken 7 so it's hilarious how in the end people will still use videos to simply inform the bugs of pushing an engine to it's limit as a platform for why this game shouldn't be competitive...

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
I hate doing the whole call out thing, but I honestly have to do this just this once:

Syirine
"Why would anyone want to play this competitively after watching this."

"Apparently never watch the beginning of the video stating ALL fighting games have glitches in them(which they do) and the glitches and system bugs aren't even gamebreaking past the Double K.O. for both players at match point(which is already rare as hell enough getting it at all)"

As someone stated in the comment section, there is already bugs for Tekken 7 so it's hilarious how in the end people will still use videos to simply inform the bugs of pushing an engine to it's limit as a platform for why this game shouldn't be competitive...

Meh, it is EventHubs and I don't expect the comments on the YT video comment section to be any better, but yeah, this video will fuel more ignorance from the general FGC.

WAZAAAAA

I wouldn't recommend that solution. I think random should be determined by last resort honestly, but there should be multiple layers of checks and balances. I don't think both players whiffing the animation would lead to a better result from both a visual and a gameplay perspective.

It should be said that you weren't the first to bring up the throw connection randomness, and it appears actually that they did improve it most likely in Ultimate or Last Round since I believe @d3v reported that in Vanilla it was just random regardless of throw startup speed.

Virtua Fighter for example has it's double-hit system go through the following checks:
The attack with the higher damage wins.
If both attacks do the same damage, then the attack with the slower execution wins.
If the damage and execution are the same, then the player with 50 points less than their opponent wins.
If a player doesn't have 50 points less than their opponent, the double hit occurs or in the case of throws is randomly decided.
I wouldn't recommend my solution either, it's just the first cheap fix I could think of, which is still better than the randomness.
But damn that system you described is deep, maybe too much so, imo the best way to solve all these "neutral" situations is to have something that works like "throw techs" similar to Street Fighter, no matter how rarely they may occur in a match.

When has there ever been a "1 hour and 52 minutes long Ayane combo video" on the Front Page before?
Never seen before
This would be better reserved as a Media Section post (which it is).
Nah I'm ok with having both

d3v

Shared on SRK.
http://shoryuken.com/2015/08/12/weird-interactions-caused-by-trades-in-dead-or-alive-5-last-round/

Thanks to @Mr. Wah for sending me this vid.

On a related note, random winner on throw trade has, I believe, been used in other fighting games as well in situations where there is no tech possible. For example, if two air throws trade in SFIV, you will also get a random winner (as SFIV has no air techs). It just seems to be a legacy thing that devs have been using for some time now.

As for adding throw techs into DOA, the thing is that teching greatly changes the neutral game. Especially if there's a large tech window.

The series already does some things to help fix the issue at hand (faster throws beating slower throws). It would probably be better, for a future game, to implement the other checks that VF does.

Last edited:

PhoenixVFIRE

That was really interesting wow >_> I've never encountered any of these besides the double ko thing, but doesn't the person who wins the double ko always the person who's been winning tho? or player 1 if it's new set of games? I feel like I remember it being that.

I laughed pretty hard at the Helena and Tina trip thing, I'm gonna have to try that with a friend someday.

WAZAAAAA

On a related note, random winner on throw trade has, I believe, been used in other fighting games as well in situations where there is no tech possible. For example, if two air throws trade in SFIV, you will also get a random winner (as SFIV has no air techs). It just seems to be a legacy thing that devs have been using for some time now.
True, same applies to command throws in SFIV and 3rd Strike

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
That was really interesting wow >_> I've never encountered any of these besides the double ko thing, but doesn't the person who wins the double ko always the person who's been winning tho? or player 1 if it's new set of games? I feel like I remember it being that.

I laughed pretty hard at the Helena and Tina trip thing, I'm gonna have to try that with a friend someday.

Yeah in my experience it awards it to the losing player of the previous match.

tokiopewpew

Standard Donor
Was this really necessary for the front page?

It's just when I visit FSD, it doesn't really leave a good impression of the game if I end up seeing a Front Page post that, quite frankly, makes the game look bad. This would be better reserved as a Media Section post (which it is).

In this case, I have to say that I had no intention of watching it first but seeing it on the front page again and again finally made me to click on it. And I actually found this pretty interesting.

I don't think it makes the game look bad. Every player should be aware that every game has it's bugs and glitches and knowing about them can prevent people from jumping to conclusions. Pretty sure we all don't see this page as kind of an place for literally advertising only like an official publisher or developer page would be, so why not bring some flaws into focus as well sometimes?

Always pretending a perfect world has never helped anyone in the end, especially not when your main goal is to get more people into something and keep them at it for longer.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD