DOA5U Ayane Self-Improvement and Critique Thread

ShinMaruku

As titled, this thread is made for players looking to improve their game play with Ayane in DOA5U. This thread will be used for players to give and receive constructive feedback and critique one another. So that players can learn from one another, and everyone can try to help everyone.

From tournament level, to adept, to novice, to new, this thread is for everyone wanting to improve with this character.

Sharing your match replays or linking them here is definitely allowed, and it'll allow everyone to visually see your play and playstyle, and help you. Let's try to keep this thread as open-minded and helpful as possible.

Uploading a few matches of mine for advice from you pros.

More to come.

Mesharey

Well, I'm not good enough to give many suggestions, but you need to use BT PP4PP7K (or 8K).
Try to use launch attacks more, like 4K (on counter hit), H+K, 8KK.
Try to to use advanced mid-kick hold, it's really good for wake up kick.
Also, try to use CB, it's really good. <3

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Definitely need to use BT PP4PP7K on your back turn combos, that's her most common BnB juggle. Plus, BT PPPP doesn't actually hit low launch heights and the damage it has as a juggle isn't that good either.

What I would advise is to get more familiar with your stuns and launchers, so that you'll know and recognize when to launch and what you can actually do your juggles from. That is the main thing I would advise right now, to be honest.

I'd rather not overwhelm you with TOO MUCH at one time because it's better to focus on one thing, then move onto the next. Keep posting videos though, I'll tell you what other things that may need addressing next time too.

Mesharey

6K2K is better than 6KK, you need use 66KK4 more.
For wall combos, PPPK is good.
Also CB combo, this is an easy one but it's a start:
6K2K 3P 6P+K

ricc

vs that Jacky.

Throughout the rounds you connected :4::P: quite alot but did a followup that didn't hit, I sugguest BT :P::P::4::P::P::7::K:.

Range pokes, you did alot of moves that left you in - frames and backturned when whiffed/blocked. Good ones are :4::K: for sitdown, :6::6::K::K::4: for frameadvantage and :3::P: which has multiple followups depending on the situation.

ShinMaruku

I will have to spend some time in training to implement the BT PP4PP7K.

I'll also have to look inot my pokes, they need to be replaced with something better.
A few more matches will be uploaded too.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
vs that Jacky.

Throughout the rounds you connected :4::P: quite alot but did a followup that didn't hit, I sugguest BT :P::P::4::P::P::7::K:.

Range pokes, you did alot of moves that left you in - frames and backturned when whiffed/blocked. Good ones are :4::K: for sitdown, :6::6::K::K::4: for frameadvantage and :3::P: which has multiple followups depending on the situation.

Neither 4K or 66KK4 are range pokes, 4K is a ranged whiff punisher and 66KK4 is meant for pressure (it's extremely easy to get counter hit out of 66KK4 because it's range is so poor). BT PP6KK4 is your means of getting in over a naked 66KK4 because it has more range and the BTPP is a deceptive feint at range.

For range pokes, you have 3P, 3H+K, BT2P, BT2K, BTPP, BT PP6KK4, BT6K, BT 4H+K, and BT3KK being your best options.

Your ranged whiff punishers are 3H+K, 4K, BT6P, 236K, BT4K, BT 4H+K, 1P+K P, 1P+K K.

Mesharey

ShinMaruku
BT PP4PP8K might be easier than BT PP4PP7K, I use 8K its a lot easier and gives the same move.

ShinMaruku

Here are a few more. Been working on setting up juggles. Until I ge tthem down I think I'll be where I am now.

Gill Hustle

Took some time and found a good player to see if I can get some advice on this one:

@0:21 you literally gave away free dmg from the interactable.

you throw out 66p too often which I believe is like -7 on block as well as 6pp which is really negative.

Also like @iHajinShinobi said you need to practice your other juggle enders

The Kasumi player was OK but if they new how to punish Ayane you'd get where I'm coming from.

:ayane:

ShinMaruku

Having some issues with setting up launches keep getting stuffed.
Later I will elaborate but have a test to attend to :(

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Your Ayane's looking pretty damn good from what I could see. RyuJin's Jann Lee is also a fucking beast! Keep it up dude!

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
The spacing is improving, your whiff punishing with 4K is on point as well. You've got the basic flow of Ayane down already. Better movement will come with practice, as that takes time. I like how you're stuffing approaches with neutral K/KK well. Not often I see anyone else do that aside from Ael and myself.

You're on right track, the more you play, the more you'll see further results. Keep at it.

Kind of boggled why Ryujin is doing H+K at R1F against a character whose mid 2 frames slower than his. R1F he doesn't have to worry about Ayane's 2P so much since he has an i11 mid punch.

ACSeraph

Hi everyone, I was finally motivated to sign up here after a particularly bad night of DOA. I've been playing since vanilla and actually have a pretty high win % but I don't know if I'm in a slump lately or what because I've had serious problems. I came here originally checking out the main Ayane guide, and after reading around I noticed that my Ayane to a large degree fell within the "typical online Ayane" mold, in other words, not really legit. So I've been trying to expand my repertoire a lot and not rely so much on the not-safe tactics I used to build that high win %. I understand that's going to come at a price of a lot of losses as I learn, but I think it's worth it.

But I've got one kinda major problem that I'd like some advice on, which for whatever reason has affected me more with the release of LR. It seems like I'm always getting spammed to death online, no matter what I do Ayane just gets stuffed by the faster characters like Hayate. Even when my opponents have virtually no defense skills at all, it rarely matters since the moment I press a button I just eat one of their attacks instead. Whats the general mindset for dealing with extremely aggressive fast characters. The players here (Japan) are random enough that you can't really rely on holds, and I can't really intercept them well either. Something I'm doing is completely wrong, and I can't figure out what. I know this is all kinda vague, but any advice would be appreciated. I've been raging kinda hard at it lately, but I wanna stop yelling at it like some scrub and reflect on what's wrong with my gameplay.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
You want to keep in mind what Ayane's neutral strike speed is;

i10 high - Jab
i13 mids - 6P&6K
i12 low - 2P

Hayate in comparison is;

i10 high - jab
i12 mid - 6P
i14 low - 2P

Hayate's mid punch is faster than Ayane's but this does not imply he is a faster character, at all. Ayane also has her neutral K which is fast at i12 frames and deals a lot more damage than most i12 frame mids in general. Most i12 frame mids normally have a base damage between 17 to 25. Ayane's neutral K has a base damage of 27 and it is i12 frames (also a tracking high and very good range). This is a very potent tool this character has and it is one of many tools that allow her to combat characters with i12 mids, outside of using jab.

You can also use the 5K (neutral K) as a range poke and zoning tool. Fighting Hayate up close as Ayane will come down to teaching Hayate that he cannot put the i12 6P on Ayane just because it's a faster mid.

Jab, 5K and 2P are tools that can prove to be effective in fighting him up close and is a good way to start controlling the CQC (close quarters combat) game in this match up (just using the match up as example). A lot of players that have faster strike speed on certain hit levels (high/mid/low) will often use something as their go to strike during the CQC neutral. That's almost always the 6P as Hayate.

If you know the Hayate player favors his 6P, advance hold it and go for guaranteed damage or a damaging mix up.

Ayane's advance holds are very good tools against players that favor those faster mids against her. Jab is also a great tool to put on players that favor their fastest mid.

The way you want to learn how to apply your neutral pokes more effectively is to adapt to the opponent's habits. When you're able to adapt to what decisions they normally make in neutral, you'll anticipate it, read it, and respond accordingly with a good answer. The more you adapt, you may be able to start using a high crush (or hold) depending on how well your read(s) on the opponent become.

Keep in mind that because Ayane has i13 frame mids, you cannot go mid for mid with characters with faster mids. You have jab, low jab, 5K, block/reads/crushes to deal with their mids.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD