DOA5U Bass General Discussion: Champion Edition

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
@UncleKitchener the great thing with :3::3::P::P: is that he moves forward after the second punch making it so the opponent is closer to him. It basically allows for :426::[[H+P]]: to connect if they back-tech before they can back-dash away. I've verified this in my local play.

Also, I'm not feeling the :2::K: option as it's steppable and I seem to hit them out of range. It also does not guarantee anything on slip-stun. I'd much rather go for a :1::P: or :2::P:

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
:2::K: also doesn't crush highs and with the exception of the safety, it's just good for crit stun combos.

Good observation on the wake up opportunities after full :3::3::P::P:, Wah.

Rich Nixon

Standard Donor
I've been using 1kp after stun alot more. The punch ender cant be SE so its a nice Burst option once you get your opponent scared to hold. Also I have been using hellstab>hellstab for knockdown then 662,Throw for the option select/pickup. 6P is arguably one of the best pokes in the game

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
He has two of what i'd say are the best pokes in the game. The only thing they lack is speed. :3::K: and :6::P: are two very good pokes he has with extenders that range from decent to great.

Last edited:

Rich Nixon

Standard Donor
He has two of what i'd say are the best pokes in the game. The only thing they lack is speed. :3::K: and :6::P: are two very good pokes he has with extenders that range from decent to great.
True words.But once he gets that knockdown his offense shines.Then all you hear is "Wait, he's on advantage after that?" or "Wait,that tracks?". My favorite is "Thats too much damage for just one guess"

Last edited by a moderator:

Commmanda Panda

I've also tested out the :426::[[H+P]]: after the :3::3::P::P: offline. If the opponent can react to the animation of the throw they can still duck after teching. However, I think this won't happen too often unless the opponent knows the set-up beforehand

Rich Nixon

Standard Donor
I've also tested out the :426::[[H+P]]: after the :3::3::P::P: offline. If the opponent can react to the animation of the throw they can still duck after teching. However, I think this won't happen too often unless the opponent knows the set-up beforehand
I guess it depends on the opponent. Some people can throw OHs on reaction, especially if its a 37i OH where the guy yells "FIRE!" lol

Rich Nixon

Standard Donor
The entire cast can simply walk away from pressure after landing 6T. I'd rather it be +3 and put them closer like Fu or Hitomis +frames throw instead of +10 and pushing the opponent out of range of everything.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
@Rich Nixon I have to disagree with you, Rich. 6T is one of his best throws and I generally find it really helpful once I start my offense with it. If someone actually tries to get away from you, 33P and 66P+K will definitely make them think twice about doing that. Hell, if you buffer dash after throwing, you'd end up really close and get to reset since 6T is the longest reaching forward 6i throw in the game from what I've looked into. I rate 6T pretty high on my list, but if there is something missing, please do let me know.

Last edited:

Rich Nixon

Standard Donor
@Rich Nixon I have to disagree with you, Rich. 6T is one of his best throws and I generally find it really helpful once I start my offense with it. If someone actually tries to get away from you, 33P and 66P+K will definitely make them think twice about doing that. Hell, if you buffer dash after throwing, you'd end up really close and get to reset since 6T is the longest reaching forward 6i throw in the game from what I've looked into. I rate 6T pretty high on my list, but if there is something missing, please do let me know.
33P after 6T is what I use most of the time. I tend to throw out a 214+P when they start sidestepping 33P. I used to use 66 P+K but the hit-box on it isn't low enough, therefore it whiffs against characters with a low profile. (LeiFangs 1P comes to mind). I agree that 6T is a phenomenal punishing tool due to its speed/damage/wall & rope properties. It is also a decent way to get Bass' offense started in some matchups. Do you think it would be too damn strong for the Bass if 6T put the opponent closer and only left him at +3?

Rich Nixon

Standard Donor
I think that would honestly be a nerf more than a buff.
I think it would be a buff because :
1.The opponent would be closer to be 6T'd again
2. +3 adv would make his 6P come out 12i and 6k 11i
3.33P could still be a viable option because of its high crush property in the early frames to deal with 9i jabs.

Why do you think it would be a nerf?

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
33P after 6T is what I use most of the time. I tend to throw out a 214+P when they start sidestepping 33P. I used to use 66 P+K but the hit-box on it isn't low enough, therefore it whiffs against characters with a low profile. (LeiFangs 1P comes to mind). I agree that 6T is a phenomenal punishing tool due to its speed/damage/wall & rope properties. It is also a decent way to get Bass' offense started in some matchups. Do you think it would be too damn strong for the Bass if 6T put the opponent closer and only left him at +3?

No, I think the current version is much better because once you bring it down to +3, you're going to have to go deal with the bad matchups which usually consists of 9i jabs and you can't use your OHs. Also, you can already simulate this situation in psuedo-fourcetechs in juggles or after GBs with +frames on block, which I'm very uncomfortable with against faster characters, because they take some of my options away and limit them unlike 6T where I can force people into 50/50s while also having access to my throws. Just what I'm comfortable with. I mean, K into 41236P+K is a great strategy to stuff jabs after a GB on block, but after a throw? Na, I'd rather stuck to the current 6T.

Also, 33P, would probably be the last move I'd use for a high crush. That's mostly from my personal experience, but I'm going to stand by it and say that 33P sucks as a crush, unless you're purposefully extending your crouch dash to do so. I'd rather stick to 2P in most general situations.

HOWEVER, if we get a new no-range fast OH like BT OH that gives you +3 and leaves you close (give it a notation like :9::h::+::P:), then I'd be really okay with that. If you make that a throw though, then I'd probably not use that as often because within the triangle system, it won't fit that well with the whole risk-reward thing, because I think Bass should be high-risk/reward character like Potemkin where one one good throw or one good counter-hit gives you a lot of damage and/or advantage.

Rich Nixon

Standard Donor
No, I think the current version is much better because once you bring it down to +3, you're going to have to go deal with the bad matchups which usually consists of 9i jabs and you can't use your OHs. Also, you can already simulate this situation in psuedo-fourcetechs in juggles or after GBs with +frames on block, which I'm very uncomfortable with against faster characters, because they take some of my options away and limit them unlike 6T where I can force people into 50/50s while also having access to my throws. Just what I'm comfortable with. I mean, K into 41236P+K is a great strategy to stuff jabs after a GB on block, but after a throw? Na, I'd rather stuck to the current 6T.

Also, 33P, would probably be the last move I'd use for a high crush. That's mostly from my personal experience, but I'm going to stand by it and say that 33P sucks as a crush, unless you're purposefully extending your crouch dash to do so. I'd rather stick to 2P in most general situations.

HOWEVER, if we get a new no-range fast OH like BT OH that gives you +3 and leaves you close (give it a notation like :9::h::+::P:), then I'd be really okay with that. If you make that a throw though, then I'd probably not use that as often because within the triangle system, it won't fit that well with the whole risk-reward thing, because I think Bass should be high-risk/reward character like Potemkin where one one good throw or one good counter-hit gives you a lot of damage and/or advantage.

I don't use 33p as a high crush. I'm saying if 6T left the opponent closer and at +3 it would be an option with the other attacks i listed above. And from my personal experience, Bass' OHs don't help me in his "bad" matchups. They are slower than all his good pokes, have horrific recovery , and lose to JAK side steps, Tank roll, MR 2P+K/8P+K, Zack side roll and the list goes on. His OHs bear more risk than reward in my opinion. Other than tech trap situations, when is it more practical to use an OH instead of attacking?

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Anyone else here starting to use WR :4::P::+::K: more in their game? I'm finding it super useful for pressure and moans of frustration can be heard when someone gets caught in the mixup, but I'm finding people reacting to :2::P: more which makes me have to go through other avenues such as using the WR from :6::6::P::+::K:, :6::h::+::K: or just plain old :1::P: mixups, especially in stun.

It's really good.

:426::P::+::K: is also pretty good.

I don't use 33p as a high crush. I'm saying if 6T left the opponent closer and at +3 it would be an option with the other attacks i listed above. And from my personal experience, Bass' OHs don't help me in his "bad" matchups. They are slower than all his good pokes, have horrific recovery , and lose to JAK side steps, Tank roll, MR 2P+K/8P+K, Zack side roll and the list goes on. His OHs bear more risk than reward in my opinion. Other than tech trap situations, when is it more practical to use an OH instead of attacking?

I find :P::K:, :6::P:, :6::6::P: and :1::P: pretty much take care of this in case someone does something other than block/hold or backdash. +3 is way too little of a frame advantage for me and if they do that, they'll have to change other 6Ts in the game like Hitomi and Zack's. Anything more than +5 is okay with me, but +3 is just waay too little for a slow character like Bass.

Keep in mind, I don't think this is how he should be played. I'm just saying how I feel. More frame advantage just let's you have access to his other options. You can play him only using throws and strikes, but sometimes OHs tend to help when it comes to conditioning an opponent.

Last edited:

Commmanda Panda

So I just watched the Combo trailer for Nyo-Tengu and I saw she did a sumo stomp after the power launcher and it ground bounced for follow ups. I thought to my self, "What if Bass' sumo stomp had the same property". Wishful thinking lol

Rich Nixon

Standard Donor
If :4::h::+::K: was actually useful, I would've used it all the time.
Yeah I feel ya. I use it for a goof sometimes after the opponent techs after 33pp. I mix that up uncharged 1 p+k for more Bass shenanigans.
Anyone else here starting to use WR :4::P::+::K: more in their game? I'm finding it super useful for pressure and moans of frustration can be heard when someone gets caught in the mixup, but I'm finding people reacting to :2::P: more which makes me have to go through other avenues such as using the WR from :6::6::P::+::K:, :6::h::+::K: or just plain old :1::P: mixups, especially in stun.

It's really good.

:426::P::+::K: is also pretty good.

I find :P::K:, :6::P:, :6::6::P: and :1::P: pretty much take care of this in case someone does something other than block/hold or backdash. +3 is way too little of a frame advantage for me and if they do that, they'll have to change other 6Ts in the game like Hitomi and Zack's. Anything more than +5 is okay with me, but +3 is just waay too little for a slow character like Bass.

Keep in mind, I don't think this is how he should be played. I'm just saying how I feel. More frame advantage just let's you have access to his other options. You can play him only using throws and strikes, but sometimes OHs tend to help when it comes to conditioning an opponent.

I agree that more frame advantage gives you access to other options. But the move in discussion is 6T, which because of the distance, the +10 advantage is an illusion. the only reliable option is 33p.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD