DOA5LR Best setups for the Dragon Gunner and 4H?

KING JAIMY

I've recently started trying to get my Jann Lee to a competitive level and by this I would appreciate any type of advice on how to get better with Jann Lee's resets/loops/combos from Dragon Gunner and 4H.

Dragon Gunner (66T)
I usually follow up with guarantees such as P6P or 6H+K but I was wondering if there is something else I can use? My favorite setup as of now is 6H+K4 - Dragon Stance K - 4H+K. This will always give a limbo stun! :) Are there any other wonderful setups I am missing? Finally, are there some specific setups I need to use against certain types of opponents? (e.g. a setup against a 'masher' or a setup against a 'hold-happy' opponent)

Mid punch hold (4H)
As for his mid punch hold, my current setup is 9P - 4H+K. 9P is guaranteed and 4H+K always causes a limbo stun provided the opponent doesn't hold 4H+K. However, setups such as these don't work if the hold is Hi-Counter :( Therefore I would like to know some other stuff I could use, especially when I land a Hi-counter 4H. I know 4PPP is guaranteed, but is it a good follow-up? Or any other things I am missing for 4H in general?

Thanks in advance for any help, it will be much appreciated. ;)

Darkslay

Alright man, first of all great to hear you´re playing Lee :).

So after DG the only real setups there are as you said are 6H+K and P6P you can ´´cash in´´ damage with P+K, 66K and 236P if you can do the input after a dash, i´ll explain each one so you get a better understanding.

6H+K: If you go into DS the mixup is of course high, mid P and mid K, the 2 most used are P and K so 6P will usually be less expected, the 4H+K is always an option after any of the 3, if you want more information on the mixups in stun contact me as it can get a little more complicated than you might think ;), if you use this at the wall you can go into DS K then 6K 46K its a guaranteed 101 damage which is pretty darn good :D.

P6P: This is used more often than not as grab bait or to start the DG loop as after P6P only P and 6P will connect so people will most of the time try to hold either of the 2.

P+K: The best way to ´´cash in´´ the damage if you don´t want to take any risks, 60 damage which is pretty decent, the only difference between P+K and 236P is that the latter does 2 more points of damage XD so if you feel confidence in your dashing input skills go for it.

66K: it would seem pretty useless to use this since it only gives 50 damage, where do you want to use it then? at the wall, if you land this against a wall it gives the good ol´ 9P 6K 46K combo for 98 damage as you can see DG at the wall is really scary XD.

Next i´ll post on 4H :).

Last edited:

Darkslay

So continuing on, after 4H pretty much anything is guaranteed XD except for big moves, it all really comes down to what level of stun you want to work with, very flexible, of course there are also ways of ´´cashing in´´ damage, the best way is definitely 7K as after it you can do PPP6P for decent damage up to mid weights, after that 4PPP is your best option.

That´s all i got at a fundamental level, if you want any more info just hmu :).

KING JAIMY

So continuing on, after 4H pretty much anything is guaranteed XD except for big moves, it all really comes down to what level of stun you want to work with, very flexible, of course there are also ways of ´´cashing in´´ damage, the best way is definitely 7K as after it you can do PPP6P for decent damage up to mid weights, after that 4PPP is your best option.

That´s all i got at a fundamental level, if you want any more info just hmu :).
Thanks very much. I didn't know of the 6KK from Dragon Gunner and also didn't know of 7K from 4H. This helps a lot! Thanks again :)

RiBu

His mid punch hold can go into CB easy depending on the level you get...
Midscreen:
CH 6F+K 4, DS P+K CB
HCH F+K, 6P+K CB

DS/ High kick hold midscreen I just always go for 6F+K, DS followup, F+K, 6P+K CB. There's a 3 way mixup with his DS options so most people won't just throw a counter out at that point in the stun; and you can always drop the F+K for 7K/33P if they are acknowledging the set-up.

Darkslay

His mid punch hold can go into CB easy depending on the level you get...
Midscreen:
CH 6F+K 4, DS P+K CB
HCH F+K, 6P+K CB

DS/ High kick hold midscreen I just always go for 6F+K, DS followup, F+K, 6P+K CB. There's a 3 way mixup with his DS options so most people won't just throw a counter out at that point in the stun; and you can always drop the F+K for 7K/33P if they are acknowledging the set-up.

4H is not necessarily about getting to CB fast but how you get to it, essentially on NH you get 3 to 4 attacks before a CB, on CH you get from 3 to attacks, and in HCH same as CH but its easier to get a LV3 stun (for the launch mix-up).

And for DG, oh yes they will throw out counters, A LOT, and you know the worst part? most of the time they´ll guess right XD, switching between P6P and 6H+K its extremely important, sometimes doing 6H+K without going into DS is a way better option to bait a hold.

DroWin_MaN

My opinion there is no best set up for dragon gunner, the ppl i have played reaction too it is crazy sometimes how they duck it and grab me and it was my 1st try at. Two setups i like to use is 6p 2k on nh b/c they might block the mid p then i gunner them, the second one i'll hit them with the 6h+k and guess they'll counter after that gunner again i also use gunner as a whiff punishment

Darkslay

My opinion there is no best set up for dragon gunner, the ppl i have played reaction too it is crazy sometimes how they duck it and grab me and it was my 1st try at. Two setups i like to use is 6p 2k on nh b/c they might block the mid p then i gunner them, the second one i'll hit them with the 6h+k and guess they'll counter after that gunner again i also use gunner as a whiff punishment

You mean how to land DG? in that case the strongest ways to use DG are as a poke or as you said for whiff punishment, a jab, 2K or 6P are good ways to set it up, and if they try any type of low crush tech to either side then punish with a gunner.

RiBu

4H is not necessarily about getting to CB fast but how you get to it, essentially on NH you get 3 to 4 attacks before a CB, on CH you get from 3 to attacks, and in HCH same as CH but its easier to get a LV3 stun (for the launch mix-up).

And for DG, oh yes they will throw out counters, A LOT, and you know the worst part? most of the time they´ll guess right XD, switching between P6P and 6H+K its extremely important, sometimes doing 6H+K without going into DS is a way better option to bait a hold.

Mix up between a high...and a high? Only time I don't do 6F+K is when I'm facing a wall, but I still think it's the stronger option after DG based stuns; you don't have to go into DS either if you don't want... Regardless...it's a 33% guess after the 6F+K so it's not guaranteed, but it seems to be the best imo in cutting variance down. But if what you're doing is working I won't tell you to stop it, nothing is really guaranteed after the first hit anyways...

Darkslay

Mix up between a high...and a high? Only time I don't do 6F+K is when I'm facing a wall, but I still think it's the stronger option after DG based stuns; you don't have to go into DS either if you don't want... Regardless...it's a 33% guess after the 6F+K so it's not guaranteed, but it seems to be the best imo in cutting variance down. But if what you're doing is working I won't tell you to stop it, nothing is really guaranteed after the first hit anyways...

Funny you don´t use 6H+K at the wall, since its strongest there, i didn´t get you when you said mix-up between a high and a high, you mean 6H+K and P6P? if so not really since like i said P6P is mainly used as throw bait and after it its a 50-50 between P and 6P after that you can it you become free to do anything, a high, mid punch, mid kick or a low, so its mainly about not doing the same thing twice XD, 6H+K works similarly if you don´t go into DS, but like you said, if what you´re doing works for you there´s not really any problem is there?

MiSS KEiSHH

This thread is a godsend lol. I just re-uped on my jann lee about two months ago and it's been going extremely well. However, DG mixups is something that I still struggle with since everyone counters the high punch or the mid kick -.- I didn't know that p6p was also guaranteed.

DroWin_MaN

This thread is a godsend lol. I just re-uped on my jann lee about two months ago and it's been going extremely well. However, DG mixups is something that I still struggle with since everyone counters the high punch or the mid kick -.- I didn't know that p6p was also guaranteed.
yea it does, but if you think they gonna counter after the 6 h+k dont go into dragon stance, dragon gunner again the only risk is they fall to the ground or low hold which i think puts them in a disadvantage

Darkslay

After DG, 6k+h without DS is the best move

He´s actually right if your opponent is the hold happy type, you see when you go into DS people lose the fear to hold as there´s no grab that can come out of DS, however if you don´t go into DS you regain all of your options, including going for 4H+K, you see @Gehaktbal going for that setup quite often.

Last edited:

8ml4

its dangerous tu use DS in generally

for exemple, do 9p in block with DS and without, what is the best option?

In DS you can't guard, its unsafe with 6k+h4 and 6p4, and your options are limited... his advantage? its beautiful move ;)

Darkslay

its dangerous tu use DS in generally

for exemple, do 9p in block with DS and without, what is the best option?

In DS you can't guard, its unsafe with 6k+h4 and 6p4, and your options are limited... his advantage? its beautiful move ;)

DS is used mainly for pressure as 3 options from it are extremely fast, P is 9F, 6P is 10F and K is 11F, you can play keep away with DS or even whiff punish with it depending on the situation.

8ml4

1p+k 6k is good for whiff punish thats all.

I want say, if you can play without DS its better for your offensive option

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD