Brad Wong Combo Video (Master Ari)

Master Ari

thx guys. But no matter what you do, Brad Wong is still a really bad character and I would not pick him if you wanna seriously win a game.

Lulu

thx guys. But no matter what you do, Brad Wong is still a really bad character and I would not pick him if you wanna seriously win a game.

I diagree.... I consider Brad Wong as a Substitute for Ayane.... only much slower but less Linear (He's got 3 different side steps).

He's no where near bad at all. He's perfectly average and chockfull of Shenanigans.

You wana see bad..... try winning with this T-Rex :honoka:.

KING JAIMY

I diagree.... I consider Brad Wong as a Substitute for Ayane.... only much slower but less Linear (He's got 3 different side steps).

He's no where near bad at all. He's perfectly average and chockfull of Shenanigans.

You wana see bad..... try winning with this T-Rex :honoka:.
Brad Wong himself is fine. However, he is relatively bad compared to the rest of the cast. There are a lot of characters way better than Brad. Also, I don't know if you meant to say that Ayane is linear, but she isn't. In fact, she is one of the characters with the most tracking moves in her arsenal.

Lulu

Brad Wong himself is fine. However, he is relatively bad compared to the rest of the cast. There are a lot of characters way better than Brad. Also, I don't know if you meant to say that Ayane is linear, but she isn't. In fact, she is one of the characters with the most tracking moves in her arsenal.

My bad.... I meant to say her Mobility is linear.... she can only move Back and Forth....... well technically there is a 3rd Dimension since she Crouches when she spins but you get the idea........

Also: "Brad Wong himself is fine. However, he is relatively bad compared to the rest of the cast."

I'm pretty sure whenever someone gives their oppinion of how good or bad a character is in a fighting game (where all you do is fight other characters) they always do so in consideration with how they measure up to the rest of the cast....... unless there's a mini game where you can Take Brad Wong on a Panty Raid :eek: in which case: Gimme Gimme Gimme !!!:oops:

While I await confirmation of the existance of such an awesome mini game lets take a look at Ol'Brad's arsenal.

Brad Wong has Slow mids..... not grappling slow mind you but he will lose to many direct confrontations...... and thats where Brad Shines.... he's better at Indirect Offense because he's got a crapload of Crushes and is alot more mobile than people give him credit for. He can hop Over, Sneak Under or Swing Around many moves in the game and where all that Fails he can use Back Flip and Front Flip for any of his spacing needs if the Stage allows it.

His Stances also have Built in Defense Mechanisms along side his offensive ones, when he's lying down he can go clean under some mids.....and should the opponent find a true mid they can rely on then Brad still has his Side Step while he's down there.... which may require a Tracking Low at best..... in addition to that when his head is torwards his opponent then he can Parry said low attacks..... it also Moves his hurtbox in such a away that he can avoid a few extra mids during the parry animation...... he can go on the offensive too since when he is lying down he has access to Offensive Holds and one Frame Trap that leads into his least mobile stance, The Handstand, what the Frame Trap does is force a scenario where the Opponent has to guess between an i11 Frame mid kick (from a -1 Disadvantage on their side) and a throw..... to defend himself from Being Thrown he can exit the stance in a very brief Airborne state preventing him from being thrown and striking Brad out of that stance merely cause to him fall to the ground.... which I think is manageable for him. I mean you can try Launching but would you risk getting counter hit for it...... I tried and fail many times (because the AI cheats).

From his Dokuritsu-Ho Stance (the one where he hops on one foot like an idiot) he's got yet another offensive hold and an infinite string of mid kicks he can perform while slowly backing up to cover his retreat.

In offense he's got long Strings and Crazy mix ups..... I mean he has a string that has Three Low attacks that lead to a knock down which he can opt out of into one of his stances if he wants.

He also has the most moves in the game.... if the command training is anything to go by.

I don't think theres a Character in the DoA Roster that can shut down all of his avenues for an offense..... each of his tricks can be shut down and demolished indivudually but as a whole Brad Wong remains formidable because there's always somerhing he can try to get around his opponent's defense or something to make it hard for them to penetrating his own.

He's perfectly Viable without the slightest concern about whom he maybe facing....... except for Marie but shes the exception because shes a pain in the ass for everybody including in a Marie Mirror Match....... God Damn that Infernal Side Step !!!:mad:

Tulkas

Premium Donor
He's perfectly Viable without the slightest concern about whom he maybe facing....... except for Marie but shes the exception because shes a pain in the ass for everybody including in a Marie Mirror Match....... God Damn that Infernal Side Step !!!:mad:
I think he is better than average in mind games and evasiveness, but he suffers of strong disadvantages againts a wide range of chars.

Speed is the most well known one. He can really has tough times against Christie, Sarah, Kasumi, Pai... But, disadvantages go far beyond the speed issue.

For instance, almost *any* follow up after moves that recover in lying stances is just killed by low offensive holds. Bass, Tina, Fang, Bayman, Lisa, Rachel, Leon, Ein, Marie, Nyo, Raidou... Attempting to beat them w/ a low throw is risking to get hit by a hi counter strike while being in crouch state or even also BT... Risking to lose 200 life points in a single combo in order to get 100 is a very bad position...

Unfortunately, just the two issues above put him below a half of the game roaster.

Lulu

Well Brad doesn't have to ly down in matchups consisting of Low Offensive Holds..... after all the grapplers would be slower right ? So the things that would be suicide against Christie and Ayane might be more viable against some one like Tina and Lisa.

He's got alot of tools which, in theory, allow him to cope with the entire roster.

The thing is I can't be sure because I have yet to take him out the Dojo for a spin.... but he is the next one the waiting list to asses his performance in a real fight (against the AI)

Tulkas

Premium Donor
Well Brad doesn't have to ly down in matchups consisting of Low Offensive Holds..... after all the grapplers would be slower right ? So the things that would be suicide against Christie and Ayane might be more viable against some one like Tina and Lisa.
Brad is the 3rd slowest char after Bass and Nyo. Even Leon is faster. Poor Brad...

Lulu

Brad is the 3rd slowest char after Bass and Nyo. Even Leon is faster. Poor Brad...

I also feel like Lady Tengu's Crushes are better than Brad's. Its difficult to say without access to the Character but that High Kick launcher and Mid Punch guard break Crushes all kinds of stuff. Brad isn't as blessed.

Tulkas

Premium Donor
BTW, coming back to the topic. In 2:40 a combo ends. The next clip seems to star with Brad entering into lying stance, then standing using a side roll and finally evading Momiji with his crouching sidestep. I'm a right...? I was not aware of he being able to stand up from LFT using kind of a side roll...

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
You guys are nay saying this character's ability to be effective. 2H+K is probably the most godly move in this game. Low TRACKING high crush that leaves you +10. Mind game sake, +10 is THE best advantage there is. It allows for THE best mind fuckery. I'm going to seriously invest my time into this character after NEC.

Just as I've unlocked the insanity behind Bayman, I'm going to do the same with Brad. It's all about the frames people. Magic happens when frames are involved.

Lulu

Not me.... I love Brad. I know he doesn't belong at the bottom.

Edit: Sly Bass is right..... except I would up the number to 13 Frames Specifically considering the speed of Brad's Jab.

That way he can either to catch the opponent with a i12 throw as they recover or he can keep the stun going with a Jab..... unless if 2H+K causes a trip.

Last edited:

Master Ari

You guys brought up some really good points here. Especislly the fact that he has 3 (!) different sidesteps + the highest movement speed in his BT stance (his BT korean back dash is actually the fastest in the game) gives him great advantages in theory. 9k, 44k, 216P and BT2P+K/BTF+K are also great (more or less safe) moves. It really all comes down to how to creative Brad Wong players are. I play him since 10 years now and I'm still having so much fun using him. DOA would be boring without him.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD