DOA5LR Brad Wong General Discussion and Help

Azurik_89

Hi I'm a Brad Wong Veteran player and I need help. I'm good enough with Brad Wong to know how to do all his moves from command training, but not so good that I can juggle frequently with him. I find that Brad Wong is an incredibly slow character despite his unpredictability. I like his fighting style and I don't want to switch to a character that relies on fast jabs or teleporting to win a fight. The hardest part/fun and challenging part about using Brad is finding ways around the speed of the other characters that greatly outmatch Brad's. If someone could offer tips on how to close the gap so I can get in close I know a variety of combos to deal with them at an up close range. Laying down is a hard way to get in close because they just down kick and you're vulnerable to mid attacks. Running toward an oppenent doing the torpedo :P: just knocks them far away leaving the same problem. The only other way I can think of is letting them come to me or countering so I can set up.

And as long as we're talking about Brad Wong I have two suggestions on how they could make him better, which personally I think he needs to better because of how slow he is compared to other fighters.

Solution #1 (and preferred way of making him better): Make him invulnerable to mid attacks and high attacks in laying down stance. Seriously, it doesn't make sense that he's laying down and he just gets punched or kicked normally.

Solution #2 (solution doesn't make much sense to me, but anything is better than nothing I suppose): Give Brad Wong some priority moves. His moves are so slow that almost always have to rely on counters and blocks to deal with the faster characters who set up faster

Lulu

Hi I'm a Brad Wong Veteran player and I need help. I'm good enough with Brad Wong to know how to do all his moves from command training, but not so good that I can juggle frequently with him. I find that Brad Wong is an incredibly slow character despite his unpredictability. I like his fighting style and I don't want to switch to a character that relies on fast jabs or teleporting to win a fight. The hardest part/fun and challenging part about using Brad is finding ways around the speed of the other characters that greatly outmatch Brad's. If someone could offer tips on how to close the gap so I can get in close I know a variety of combos to deal with them at an up close range. Laying down is a hard way to get in close because they just down kick and you're vulnerable to mid attacks. Running toward an oppenent doing the torpedo :P: just knocks them far away leaving the same problem. The only other way I can think of is letting them come to me or countering so I can set up.

And as long as we're talking about Brad Wong I have two suggestions on how they could make him better, which personally I think he needs to better because of how slow he is compared to other fighters.

Solution #1 (and preferred way of making him better): Make him invulnerable to mid attacks and high attacks in laying down stance. Seriously, it doesn't make sense that he's laying down and he just gets punched or kicked normally.

Solution #2 (solution doesn't make much sense to me, but anything is better than nothing I suppose): Give Brad Wong some priority moves. His moves are so slow that almost always have to rely on counters and blocks to deal with the faster characters who set up faster

I'm also currently learning Brad Wong in secret and I must say it is my most ambitious and most difficult undertaking so far.... but I know I can do it.

Anyway I've been using Frame Data to me help figure out how to craft a strategy using confirning my hits so I know what moves to and what not to use.... its not easy.... Brad is not a particularly safe Character....

But he does have a few tricks.... if your opponents are kicking you while you're lying down then try using his Parry on an anticipated low attack.... its important to note that he only has the Parry when his lying down with his head Torwards the enemy.... some mid attacks will hit Brad while he is on the floor and some mid attacks will miss.... his hit box is very wonky feeling when he lies down....

For example... In a Brad vs. Brad mirror match, Brad 1's Mid Punch will hit Brad 2 when he's on the floor.... however that same mid punch will miss at a specific point during the Parry Animation.... its very Character Specific.... I would kill to have access to some Hit Box Videos Like this one to see how it works.

I'm currently juggling Zack and Lisa's stance guide but if I have time I can make one for Brad covering the nuances if his stances and how to link them together.

I hope what little I have learned will help you... I'm not Brad Wong player.... yet.

Tulkas

Premium Donor
Hi I'm a Brad Wong Veteran player and I need help. I'm good enough with Brad Wong to know how to do all his moves from command training, but not so good that I can juggle frequently with him.
What is preventing you juggle frequently? Do you drop the juggles in actual fights? Or you forget to launch?

I find that Brad Wong is an incredibly slow character despite his unpredictability. I like his fighting style and I don't want to switch to a character that relies on fast jabs or teleporting to win a fight. The hardest part/fun and challenging part about using Brad is finding ways around the speed of the other characters that greatly outmatch Brad's. If someone could offer tips on how to close the gap so I can get in close I know a variety of combos to deal with them at an up close range. Laying down is a hard way to get in close because they just down kick and you're vulnerable to mid attacks. Running toward an oppenent doing the torpedo :P: just knocks them far away leaving the same problem. The only other way I can think of is letting them come to me or countering so I can set up.
Many times opp ends up fearing the running p and just wait to block, hold or sidestep it when Brad is far and starts running, so then you can just run a get close. Sometimes I wait the opponent to come with a running attack or so and the I counter it using 4p... I even use baits such as doing stupid stuff from far that I can cancel fast enough. From time to time I use 4k h+k but it cannot be abused.

When opp is not that far I found 2h+k the best tool: is i18, crouches a lot of things, has good range, is hard to react against or punish on block or wiff. And the most important: gives around +10 on any hit for going into mid range stuff such as h+k, and 66p.

Hm... I am not sure what yo say and it is too early in the morning... I've playing Brad many years is not an easy character to play with. I do kot find your solutions to be feasible from the TN point of view. Priority moves was removed since DOA4. Making laying absolutely invulnerable to mids would be way too much I guess. I use the laying side step a lot.

It is curious, because the only new thing I would add to Brad is making Kasenko to track (46p... or 64p...). There are many improvememts that we could imagines but having the fastest tracking mid punch would mean a lot of power.

Lulu

I agree.... making Brad's Lying down stance just as effective as Helena's Bokuho Squat is a seriously drastic game changer....

The reason why its okay for Helena is because she can't attack while she squats low during Bokuho.... her profile needs to be high enough to be hit by mids in order for her to attack back....

And with that said..... I need to see the move details on Brad's :8:/:2: Roll while he is lying down.... I wana see if its Free Stepping or Side Stepping.

Tulkas

Premium Donor
I agree.... making Brad's Lying down stance just as effective as Helena's Bokuho Squat is a seriously drastic game changer....

The reason why its okay for Helena is because she can't attack while she squats low during Bokuho.... her profile needs to be high enough to be hit by mids in order for her to attack back....

And with that said..... I need to see the move details on Brad's :8:/:2: Roll while he is lying down.... I wana see if its Free Stepping or Side Stepping.
It is a true side step. Works great.

Azurik_89

Thank you guys really helpful advice. And in response to Tulkas, I don't juggle because I'm just not good enough at it yet. I do combo training frequently, but replicating it in matches is more difficult since quick jabs are Brad Wong's mortal nemesis. I just need more practice I suppose.

I do have good counter game though and screwing up people's rhythm by constantly switching stances can confuse players, it's also quite hilarious seeing their reactions. So the fall down taunt at the beginning is a strategy? Some people low punch immediately, but less skilled or most people typically go mid or high in the beginning. Now in terms of fighting backwards while standing up, is that too risky? Laying down there's a least some defense by sidestepping or moving into handstand once they get close, but whenever I fight backwards standing I get hit so many times. Any suggestions on that?

Azurik_89

Also I suppose neither of my suggestions were the greatest in regards to improving him. I don't want to give Brad Wong an enormous advantage over other characters, (I actually prefer that he be a little underused) but giving only one of his stances a minor upgrade that allows more movement/flexibility would be interesting. I realize that minor tweaks in a character can affect the game significantly.

Lulu

Thank you guys really helpful advice. And in response to Tulkas, I don't juggle because I'm just not good enough at it yet. I do combo training frequently, but replicating it in matches is more difficult since quick jabs are Brad Wong's mortal nemesis. I just need more practice I suppose.

I do have good counter game though and screwing up people's rhythm by constantly switching stances can confuse players, it's also quite hilarious seeing their reactions. So the fall down taunt at the beginning is a strategy? Some people low punch immediately, but less skilled or most people typically go mid or high in the beginning. Now in terms of fighting backwards while standing up, is that too risky? Laying down there's a least some defense by sidestepping or moving into handstand once they get close, but whenever I fight backwards standing I get hit so many times. Any suggestions on that?

Okay so this something I do with La Mariposa but it works for Brad Wong aswell.
Brad as a couple of Safe Moves that will stop people from trying to throw punish you.... but you can't block when your facing backwards..... and even though the moves are safe, you will still be at disadvantage... and just like you said, jabs are Brad Wong's mortal enemy....

So this is what you do, if you want to fight backwards.... you need to use your Crushes.... any move causes you to jump or crouch will help you deal with with people trying to Jab or Low Jab (those are the fastest highs and lows) you while you're back turned..... so make friends with moves like Brad's BT:2::P: and his BT:6::K: . The former makes Brad crouch under high attacks and the Latter makes Brad jump over low attacks.... this is a great way to score counter hits.

Now if you're smart you are currently thinking "But what about Mid Attacks Dummy"....

Well thats where it gets complicated.... you can use Frame Data to see if your opponent's mid attacks are slower than Brad's Back Turned Jab.... thats usually how it works.... you want use Brad's High Crushes to bait out slower mid attacks so that you can beat those mid attacks with Brad's Faster Jabs.... again this is a great way to score counter hits but Brad's BT Jab is actually quite slow and your opponent's are going to have some pretty fast mid attacks....

Don't Fret, Sweetness... there is a way.... Brad's BT :6::P: will make Brad Face Forward which Can be cancelled into his Sway (its his :4::P: when in normal stance) and that sway can be canceled into his command side step and thats what you're going to use to avoid linear attacks including mids... and attacking from the side step using :P: will turn Brad backwards Again.... so the notation for what I just described is going to look like this:
BT :6::P::4_::2:/:8::P:.

It can be confusing because of all the turning but you get the idea.....

Now your biggest problem is how to be at an Advantage while back turned to use the 2nd strategy I just mentioned..... because in order to use the side step you must be able to attack before your opponent can, theres no Raw way to Side Step from BT Stance ... I honestly don't know what to do about that. :(

Also I suppose neither of my suggestions were the greatest in regards to improving him. I don't want to give Brad Wong an enormous advantage over other characters, (I actually prefer that he be a little underused) but giving only one of his stances a minor upgrade that allows more movement/flexibility would be interesting. I realize that minor tweaks in a character can affect the game significantly.
I feel your pain.... Brad actually is genuinely more disadvantaged against other characters.... I'm just stumped about how they can even the playing field for him.... still though... he is viable and quite lethal if your mind games and character knowledge are strong. :)

Tulkas

Premium Donor
I feel your pain.... Brad actually is genuinely more disadvantaged against other characters.... I'm just stumped about how they can even the playing field for him.... still though... he is viable and quite lethal if your mind games and character knowledge are strong. :)
So far, I have only found my friends' Bass and Christie to be a big problem against him. But what I more generaly think is that Brad's worst match ups are against low offensive holders (e.g. Bass) and chars with mid anti SS strings (e.g. Christie).

Last edited:

Lulu

So far I have only found my friends' Bass and Christie to be a big problem against him. But, what I more generaly think is Brad worst match ups are against low offensive holders (e.g. Bass) and chars with mid anti SS strings (e.g. Christie).

That makes sense since They Track... they are much faster than regular offensive holds and the obviously they beat strikes....

I just wish his BT :P: wasn't so slow.... its also important to note I haven't taken My Brad out of the dojo yet.... I'm still training with him. :bradwong:

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
Somebody tell me the timing on the PL combo challenge. I did it once in Ultimate, but now I can't do it in Last Round. I can't seem to hit Kasumi early enough after the :236::[[p+k]]: into :236::P+K:. Because as soon as I do the :3::K::P:, the :K::K::2::K: doesn't connect. What am I doing wrong, because Brad Wong is currently the only character from my three tournament characters where I don't have 100% completion. This is frustrating me, mainly because I did it once, but I can't seem to do it again.

Lulu

Somebody tell me the timing on the PL combo challenge. I did it once in Ultimate, but now I can't do it in Last Round. I can't seem to hit Kasumi early enough after the :236::[[p+k]]: into :236::P+K:. Because as soon as I do the :3::K::P:, the :K::K::2::K: doesn't connect. What am I doing wrong, because Brad Wong is currently the only character from my three tournament characters where I don't have 100% completion. This is frustrating me, mainly because I did it once, but I can't seem to do it again.

Well theres no way I can help with that one... its a very impractical Juggle.... trying to juggle going from mid attacks to high attacks just doesn't make sense since they fall faster with each hit..... its suppose to be the other way around... Highs then mids.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
The timing is so stupid. I literally spent 2 hours today trying to do thay specific combo. I even watched video examples, yet nothing I do seems to be going right. Meh!

Lulu

The timing is so stupid. I literally spent 2 hours today trying to do thay specific combo. I even watched video examples, yet nothing I do seems to be going right. Meh!

I know how you Feel.... the Power Launcher was a good idea when I first tried them out but then I started seeing power launcher combo challenges that say "whiff this attack" and started getting a really Bad Feeling....

It seems like the Power Launchers don't work out so well for some characters..... the only time they all work regardless of which character you use is in stages with Ceilings since that takes out the timing factor.

Its the same story with the Danger Zone Stage.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
It just frustrates me, because I know I can do it again if I succeeded the first time. Hell, if I could complete Eliot, Phase 4, and Hayate's combo challenges, I can complete's Brad Wong's PL combo challenge!

Lulu

It just frustrates me, because I know I can do it again if I succeeded the first time. Hell, if I could complete Eliot, Phase 4, and Hayate's combo challenges, I can complete's Brad Wong's PL combo challenge!

LoL.... yeah it makes sense in theory and thats what makes it so annoying when it just doesn't work..... even if you did it by accident then you should be able to do it by accident again.... but it just isn't happening for some reason. I hate it when that happens. I have a crap ton of combo challenges that I've only done once but can't do again....

There are a few however that I did manage to do consistently..... this is usually after I find out something new like a new way to input something. Then I go back and test it. An example would Hayabusa's Handstand.

Lulu

Okay so I stumbled onto something rather peculiar.... namely this move.
:236::P+K:.... despite what it looks like.... this move does not Side Step Anything..... well why is this a problem you ask..... its because Kasumi's :4::4::P: Does have side step properties.

For all intensive purpose these moves look like they are suppose to do the samething.... and yet one side steps and the other doesn't.

Its probably a balance thing..... maybe it used to side step but was nerfed at some point.

Lulu

Okay so I stumbled onto something rather peculiar.... namely this move.
:236::P+K:.... despite what it looks like.... this move does not Side Step Anything..... well why is this a problem you ask..... its because Kasumi's :4::4::P: Does have side step properties.

For all intensive purpose these moves look like they are suppose to do the samething.... and yet one side steps and the other doesn't.

Its probably a balance thing..... maybe it used to side step but was nerfed at some point.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD