Breaking Down the Game: A Training Suggestion for Aspiring Players

Julius Rage

I've been watching a lot of LevelUpYourGame (Tekken Tag 2) recently and I'm starting to think DOA5 needs something like this - more specifically, the inverse of what their doing.

instead of breaking down characters for personal utlization we should break them down to show how they can be beaten.

I think that serves a greater purpose in showing that there is strategy in this game, even if more than half of it is predicated on reaction speed (Something you have or you don't).

What I'm finding through practicing other fighters is that all have a ton of random elements. Say if I do d.f2 with Bruce (in TTT2) and you actually side step to the right and get hit by it. . .what did I really do? I just threw it out there to see what might happen - the only difference between most games and DOA is the ease of inflicting damage, which goes both ways.

If it were less easy to stun and more difficult to sustain a juggle than I'd agree it shouldn't be as easy to counter - but when you have speedy characters like Hayate and Busa walking around with unbreakable/untechable grapples that do 90 to 110 damage well then you have to step back and contrast that - and other things - against what the defender has.

You're not getting 90 damage off a counter most of the time and the ones who do (Save for Busa and some of the faster characters) actually need that to stay level.

The more I practice other fighters, the more I realize how ridiculous some of the arguements about DOA's lack of depth are - its a different kind of depth.

Its got serious balance issues but most fighters do.

d3v

I've been watching a lot of LevelUpYourGame (Tekken Tag 2) recently and I'm starting to think DOA5 needs something like this - more specifically, the inverse of what their doing.

instead of breaking down characters for personal utlization we should break them down to show how they can be beaten.

I think that serves a greater purpose in showing that there is strategy in this game, even if more than half of it is predicated on reaction speed (Something you have or you don't).

What I'm finding through practicing other fighters is that all have a ton of random elements. Say if I do d.f2 with Bruce (in TTT2) and you actually side step to the right and get hit by it. . .what did I really do? I just threw it out there to see what might happen - the only difference between most games and DOA is the ease of inflicting damage, which goes both ways.

If it were less easy to stun and more difficult to sustain a juggle than I'd agree it shouldn't be as easy to counter - but when you have speedy characters like Hayate and Busa walking around with unbreakable/untechable grapples that do 90 to 110 damage well then you have to step back and contrast that - and other things - against what the defender has.

You're not getting 90 damage off a counter most of the time and the ones who do (Save for Busa and some of the faster characters) actually need that to stay level.

The more I practice other fighters, the more I realize how ridiculous some of the arguements about DOA's lack of depth are - its a different kind of depth.

Its got serious balance issues but most fighters do.
The problem is that few folks seem to be interested in discussing character specific matchups.

Brute

Standard Donor
The problem is that few folks seem to be interested in discussing character specific matchups.
Tons of people, just not here in public because they know their analysis will be dismissed by an army of people who disagree without fully engaging in the match-up.

PS: On NH Hayabusa doesn't have any throws that deal 90 damage excluding rare environmental factors.

RE0

I'll try this out next time. That knowing 10000 kicks vs 1 kick 10000 times, I'll try that logic out for combo juggle training

GreatDarkHero

This is frame advantage
Premium Donor
This is a really nice read. Thanks a lot, Game Over.
The first things I was initially worried about was movement and punishers/whiff punishers - This thread, as well as the in game tutorial within DOA5U really helped me out quite a bit.

mpgeist

Standard Donor
Finally saw this post and it's super helpful. I've finally started to try and get deeper into DOA lately (after years of casual play, which has given me really terrible habits) and I still slam on the counter hold all the time. I wish the button would give me a jolt every time I try it so that I learn to block and slow escape first.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD