Character Select screen leak

Macca Beam

you now realize 5U/LR/VV's "character simply exists" and VF's "no story" approaches weren't bad ideas at all. [character] will never get the short end of the stick because the devs couldn't be bothered to write them into the ebic story mode, or because they had a motive/drive that directly affects their desire/ability to join the next tournament
everybody will be in solely for the playstyle and design just like god willed it, and things like a character making their return in the wrong gender will never need to exist

juliusxcix

Leon is not a clone of Bayman. He may have started that way, but in DOA5 all of his signature moves were unique/not shared by Bayman and he boasted one of the most idiosyncratic playstyles that wasn't shared by any other character, let alone Bayman. Frankly, he was more unique than over half the roster, and if you're picking characters based on "story" (which is a dumb idea), once again, over half the roster is pretty much useless in that respect anyway and are just awkwardly forced in. There is no way you can convince me that Leon has less story potential than Jann Lee.

Leon would've been a better pick than all your shitty waifus combined.
well look who made it into the game. boneappleteeth.

Onryoki

Standard Donor
well look who made it into the game. boneappleteeth.
I’m searching for the sense in that comment.
tenor.gif

Zeo

In the case of Ein, I know we're being silly but if you didn't want him to take a slot you could just hold start on Hayate and then the match will start with Ein's moveset. Given how horrible most of Ein's outfits were in 5, I wouldn't mind him wearing Hayate's suits. He just decided to use Karate that fight.

Zeo

TN don't have time to waste on Ein, most would rather see Hitomi develop, or a new character.
Hitomi was already a good character until they decided to turn her into a bubbly airhead/unrequited lover in DOA4. It's also pointless to put a carbon copy of Ein's style on a new character just so it's not that particular character.

If time is being wasted on him, by that same logic, Alpha, Phase 4 and even Leon should never return to the series either. While we're being relevant to story Phase 4 can stick around. After that arc has concluded she should go bye-bye if we're doing that. If story were such an important thing, half the characters in the roster could or should get axed. Certain characters aren't included for story reasons, but they're far from a "waste of time"

prototypetom

If they do season passes with characters I'm pretty sure we'll see new characters mixed with old characters.

Old characters are a sure sale to a limited section of the player base. But a new character can potentially be sold to the whole player base but not a sure thing. So the two things work well together in a single product (if they're also available individually).

So I don't think those 3 slots are all going to be known characters - unless they come before season passes.

N1ce Dreams

Hitomi was already a good character until they decided to turn her into a bubbly airhead/unrequited lover in DOA4. It's also pointless to put a carbon copy of Ein's style on a new character just so it's not that particular character.

If time is being wasted on him, by that same logic, Alpha, Phase 4 and even Leon should never return to the series either. While we're being relevant to story Phase 4 can stick around. After that arc has concluded she should go bye-bye if we're doing that. If story were such an important thing, half the characters in the roster could or should get axed. Certain characters aren't included for story reasons, but they're far from a "waste of time"
Ein is gone and who said anything about copying Eins style onto a new character?

Zeo

No it won't. It's a waste of time and this time next year, Ein will probably be in the game anyway.

N1ce Dreams

No it won't. It's a waste of time and this time next year, Ein will probably be in the game anyway.
That's what most already think. There not gonna bother putting work into him at the mo, the game needs to get released first and find its feet.

KnacKrover

If TN not so sure about to bring "legacy" like this guy :leon: but people had made fun strongest silver fox dad that he's copying :bayman: ....BUT! In doa5u Leon has changed his style called "Close Quaters Combat" although, C.Q.C. moveset wasn't that feel to be real show cased of being C.Q.C. and it make him feel like "heyho we bring Leon with new fighting style blah blah blah..." I seriously doubt of what TN did not good at expressing with least popular character , especially Shimbori himself, as he said just "but..." and "maybe or maybe not" (consider to bring legacy Chara as dlc whatsoever) but like real talk! if it's what TN see Leon's story was over since the third game why not use simple thing such as "push him into new arc" instead!

Xhominid The Demon Within

Don't be putting words in peoples' mouths Brute, you are acting as if people furiously go nuts when they see another goddamned Ryu clone for the 15th time suddenly will like Phase 4 again.

you now realize 5U/LR/VV's "character simply exists" and VF's "no story" approaches weren't bad ideas at all. [character] will never get the short end of the stick because the devs couldn't be bothered to write them into the ebic story mode, or because they had a motive/drive that directly affects their desire/ability to join the next tournament
everybody will be in solely for the playstyle and design just like god willed it, and things like a character making their return in the wrong gender will never need to exist

No... no it really isn't. Despite all of the says and everything else, having everyone be in the roster be playable at any point is really just a pointless endeavor in most cases, especially when they share too many movesets *looks in Brute's direction" or their story is straight up DONE "looks harder in Brute's direction".
It's basically a sign of laziness to keep including those characters again and again and again if you generally have no other reason but "they exist". This is ESPECIALLY true in a story context as why the fuck should I believe Heihachi is dead for good when he will most likely be playable again because,,,

Maybe it works in Virtua Fighter because they barely update their story at times(or keep it so close to the chest, it's pointless) but it's hard to really care if you think your story is pretty important to disregard to continue bringing a character back that has zero reason to return. Bankotsubo is dead and he should honestly stay that way since he literally has no story presence period unless they want to mechanize him like Raidou for a storyline reason. Hell, if they want to bring Leon back, have Donovan blackmail him, give him a reason to exist.

Onryoki

Standard Donor
Putting ugly wigs on Marie is the "in" thing right now. Don't question it, or you're a hater.
Brute, I don’t want to assume but you seem quite bitter as of late. I don’t get this whole “I’m surprised/mad Leon didn’t make it” attitude some people have on here. It was obvious he wasn’t going to be in the base roster. Leon might’ve had an interesting move set but that’s literally about it. Besides that, there’s nothing that makes him stand out that puts him on Team Ninja’s radar.

Brute

Standard Donor
I don’t get this whole “I’m surprised/mad Leon didn’t make it” attitude some people have on here. It was obvious he wasn’t going to be in the base roster. Leon might’ve had an interesting move set but that’s literally about it. Besides that, there’s nothing that makes him stand out that puts him on Team Ninja’s radar.
Well, those are two separate things. I'm not surprised, but I am annoyed, yes. And it's not really a great mystery why.

AFAIC, FG characters are a composite of three things: moveset, visuals, personality/story. His moveset/gameplan was genuinely one of the most unique in the entire game. Surprisingly, literally no one else had the ability to redirect launched opponents into stage hazards, a hallmark of DOA's identity. That is huge, and set him apart in a way bigger way than most characters. His visuals don't involve breasts so obviously he won't be all that popular, but he still has a completely unique face sculpt, a plethora of original animations that aren't all awkwardly choppy (more than a surprising number of characters), and his outfit meets the bare minimum for being identifiable (a low bar that, once again, many characters don't meet). His personality/story isn't all that spectacular, but whose is at this point?

Leon deserves a spot through all three criteria far more than a huge chunk of the characters that we get. But TN decided to dictate their roster based on their "story" and thus wrote in a bunch of boring fucks to justify their inclusion. But they didn't do so for Leon because no good fucking reason. So yes, I am miffed, and I have a perfectly good reason to be.

I see, not a fan of Marie.
Actually, I like Marie just fine. Her uninspired wig clones are the ones who struggle to justify their existence.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD