Characters Characters you wanted to learn to use that struggles for you.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Topic. Ever had a moment where you pick up a new character and it's just like "alright, where do I begin with this character. How am I going to approach other characters with this character" so you go in the forums of X character and performing stuff with them while having fun at the same time? - but then you managed to hit that solid brick wall where the character doesn't perform as you want it to be and you are stuck trying to get pass that wall, or things don't end up as successful because you try to approach the fight with the same mindset as when you are playing with characters you already know how to use. Here are my choices along with my rating of success. Note: The rating does not mean the character is not good at the game or anything. It's my personal rating of my usage results.

---------------------------------------------------

:nyotengu: Nyotengu

- Nyotengu. Seriously, she is the odd one for me and my first pick. She happens to be one of the characters where I'm still trying to find ways to properly get a stun in that doesn't involve P+K, 2P/2PP, or 6PP. Believe it or not, I was actually more excited to try her more than Raidou. I never actually cared for Raidou's return but heck here we are. I still try her from time to time, but yet each win is more towards me using the game mechanics than actually utilizing her moveset and combo potential (if that makes sense). She feels so incredibly slow (obviously yeah), but it's more of an awkward slow than a standard slow. Least with Bankotsubo, he had the whole 7K idea which was pretty simple for the least but I feel Nyotengu is a bit more different than that of Bankotsubo now despite Nyotengu being the successor. For me using Nyotengu so far, 5/10

:pai: Pai

- Pai. Giving up damage for a ton of guaranteed setups, resets, and taking advantage from opponent mistakes that leads into damage. Pai is a character where I simply get incorrect reads and just overall bad luck that costs me life. I swear, every time I play Pai I get held or throws being avoided which causes me to overthink things and take a different approach. One hold from the opponent is like level 1 stun launch damage for Pai in reverse lol. Not sure how Pai players do it, but whenever I play her I'm just incorrect against the opponent. Shit, I even try a combination of different moves but it ended up doing more harm than good to some degree. 5/10

:bass: Bass

- Bass so far is possibly one of my most successful in this list. Still more on taking advantage of the stun damage and opponent holding for me to throw them, similar to Nyotengu but a lot less relying on the game mechanic and taking advantage of combos and setups together with the game mechanics. I never considered picking up Bass before, but when I tried him I made unexpected progress in a good way. I'm definitely not super impressive with him, but he has been the most fun as of late. 7/10

:bradwong: Brad Wong

- Brad Wong. Possibly by far one of my worse characters to try with. His approach seems too risky for how I usually like to approach. Brad Wong just looks like a character where he strives for CH just to get advantage, especially with his lows. Not too string heavy, but more towards some sort of gimmick play using the stun game along with a huge list of moves with a few that doesn't seem entirely useful. Brad is like Nyotengu for me up there but worse. At this point, I might consider to not use him at all. Course, if someone wants to give me hope for him and other characters, drop in and let me know. 2/10

:bayman:Bayman

- Bayman is right under Bass for me. 50/50 here and there, but part of the positive 50 is because he plays similar to Leon without the parry and big damage. Getting his move commands wasn't too difficult at all thanks to that, however I still make mistakes with him. Some mistakes are usually obvious and small bits that I tend to forget. His throws for example, if they break it he's at + advantage and yet I usually sit there like a weirdo holding the block button because I'm not used to playing a character who gets stuff like that. If you break grabs with other characters they are left at negative so that habit transferred over to Bayman. 6/10

What's your character picks on wanting to learn but hit the struggle lane? it could be 1, 3, 5 etc.

Last edited:

Hazard

Standard Donor
:leifang: (Lei Fang) --- I tried to pick up this character when I was focusing on being able to have a separate playstyle from my Akira. The only issue is just from the fact that Lei Fang is defensive by nature, and while I tend to drift towards defensive characters, I want to play them offensively and aggressively. While there's a chance that I may try to pick her up again, the chance is low. Also, f*** 3P+K.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
:christie:Christie, easily. Learning new, creative ways to play her is a challenge in itself, especially in matchups where I don't have a clear advantage in certain situations, such as with grapplers and characters with good tracking tools that keep me honest, to begin.

But that's nothing compared to playing her in her stripper outfit, let alone with long hair.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
:christie:Christie, easily. Learning new, creative ways to play her is a challenge in itself, especially in matchups where I don't have a clear advantage in certain situations, such as with grapplers and characters with good tracking tools that keep me honest, to begin.

But that's nothing compared to playing her in her stripper outfit, let alone with long hair.

Clay, is there any other character you wanted to use in the past but you were hit with a brick wall and felt stuck?

Sotherius

:ayane:Yeah, i can say that for my own main. Truth is, i'm not great at fighting games, and i'm a very bad self learner in general, so with every time i try to get to a new character in a fighting game, once i reach a certain point, i can't go further, because i don't policy myself to keep practicing, or i have no idea what to practice in general. I wish i could change that somehow, a training routine, but it seems to be a problem in general for me.

:hayabusa::hayate::phase4::sarah::tina: - All those characters i tried to learn their basics, but i struggle with the throw inputs, or some high speed input execution, execution is my weakes point overall in fighting games and i've been unable to change that in a significant way, and once i settled in maining ayane, i just decided to not try other characters.

Anyways, any help for me? heheh.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
:ayane:Ayane

[☆]When I was younger I wanted to use her seriously since her move set is actually very good and very technical which I like. But all the spins, having to turn back facing for alot of combos and having to know all these properties and ranges was a bit overwhelming and as a result she's too complicated for me

:honoka:Honoka

[☆]Wanted to use her as soon as I saw her trailer but much to my distaste her move set and stance transitions wasn't easy for me to digest so I gave her up

:helena: Helena

[☆]Liked her graceful style and all her options and style, but I just don't feel like I can play her fluidly or easily

:kokoro: Kokoro

[☆]I don't know....shes supposed to be easy to digest but I find myself often scatter brained not knowing what to do next after certain attacks and her lack of tracking scares me

:jannlee: Jann Lee

[☆]Wanted to learn him two years ago and I know his base move set bit his combos and having to take risks in certain situations pushed me away, I admire anyone who mains him tho

:momiji: Momiji

[☆]Wanted to learn her since everybody had a pocket of her at some point and because she's supposed to be easy and good at spacing but I struggle using the brain dead character >.> Plus her straightforward style with hardly any versatility in her string mix up kind of puts me off

:rachel: Rachel

[☆]Same with Momiji, although I've had more success with Rachel. Just too brain dead for me to play right XD

:christie: Christie

[☆]I played her on Dimensions and really enjoy her as a character but in 5LR she seems a bit too offensive for me and almost lacking in more defensive arts unlike Kasumi. Maybe one day but not today XD

:bass: Bass

[☆]Wanted to last year but he's just too slow for me to play comfortably and sluggish and is almost always at a disadvantage against faster characters

:akira: Akira

[☆]Would use him but he's just too hard, only thing I know is the few attacks I can do from basic button presses and that his 2P is great in juggles

:hayate: Hayate

[☆]Naturally since I use ein sometimes I want to learn him but he's not as straightforward and I get mixed up thinking his controls are like Ein when alot of his attacks have been changed

:genfu: Gen Fu

[☆]Tried at one point but once again brain dead characters I just can't use >.>

:jacky: Jacky

[☆]Wanted to because why not but way too technical for me, I don't even know how to flash sword...

:sarah: Sarah

[☆]LOVE Sarah and always dreamed of playing her like a bitch like how she can be online but she's too execution heavy and hyperactive for my liking

:kasumi: Kasumi

[☆] I know you're probably like wtf since I use her primarily but there's times I feel like I play her wrong and pathetically but I'm getting better on my confidence since at Summer Jam that one guy proved that Kasumi doesn't need to be rushdown to be effective

Chapstick

:Mr. Strong::bayman::eliot::jacky::lisa::rig::zack::pai::cyborg:

I'd really love to learn all these characters and I've tried but ran into problems with all of them whether it's them just not "clicking" with me in neutral or execution issues.

T..J. Bernard

:sarah:
Sarah: She has a lot of good tools. Especially when she gets into flamingo stance where her + frames look similar to Rigs. However, I feel that my style with her's too stiff for me in comparison to Rig where he has more freedom (At least to me). Also, if I'm wrong someone can correct me but I don't see where I can space out with her which is important in key match-ups where someone knows how to get by her flamingo stance. I still like her and I think her & rig combined = Hwoarang. And if VF comes to PS4 I'll try to grind her more so I still have my taekwondo train rolling. But I don't have the same advantages as I did with Rig.

:cyborg:
Raidou: Raidou has most of the difficult inputs in tekken which is already a struggle to begin with (But I'm getting better with that in tekken so...). Plus he's way too slow for me. I end up feeling more nervous to play with this dude because I feel I'm definitely getting mashed out. Maybe in DOA 6 (If he's in it), I'll have better luck. But for now nah.

:akira:
Akira: Those who know me know I love fighting Akira and after maybe Jann Lee & Jacky, there's no other character I actually like fighting against where I learn something new. Plus he has some ridiculous tech and + frames so this dude's awesome. However, using this dude's the ultimate pain. After Akuma (And that's because I never played SF until recent), Akira is undoubtedly the hardest guest character I ever tried to use. Akira to me requires some creativity. I mean Rig does as well but a predictable Akira isn't hard to take down so that's #1. #2: Some of his inputs are the biggest pains to ever try to do. And I only got his 1 frame 1 time, and it was by accident. Top it all off, you have to know what you're doing. Akira is possibly the worst character to try to mash buttons without no knowledge cause the minute someone sees that, there's hell to pay. Overall, I have a couple others but I'm not trying to write an essay (I already written a few in school already), but Sarah, Raidou, & Akira are my top 3 hardest characters I'd love to learn.

Honorable mentions:
Ayane, Hayate's raijin, Kasumi, Phase 4's teleporting, Rig, Helena, Zack, Jacky's flash kick, Eliot, Ryu's Izuna's, Bass, etc...

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD