Controller suggestions

Consili

Hello all! I have recently begun playing DOA5LR (I have the steam version).

Firstly it has been awesome to jump back into the series, I have played a little of 2 and 3 but havent actually owned one of the games following the PS1 version of DOA.

I've put a fair few hours into it now but It has highlighted a very frustrating aspect of the PC wireless 350 controller and that is the abysmal D-pad, it seems really unreliable and 'splashy' with its interpretation of my input.

I'm currently looking at other options, namingly the Razer Sabertooth:

135835673039.jpg

or an Xbox One controller:

xbox-product3.jpg

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with these controllers or others?

WAZAAAAA

Does it need to be a joypad or it can be anything?
If anything goes, check out the hitbox controller (I own one). It may be hard to get used to the up button and the high buttons sensibility at first, but damn it's precise, and it's the only controller created specifically for fighting games.
layout.jpg

Consili

I would prefer a joypad of some description, I can't say that I've ever used an arcade style controller (and i'd preferably like to use the controller with for more than just fighters).

That said that is a very interesting looking controller, did it take long to get used to using it? As you say the direction key placement seems very strange.

WAZAAAAA

I would prefer a joypad of some description, I can't say that I've ever used an arcade style controller (and i'd preferably like to use the controller with for more than just fighters).

That said that is a very interesting looking controller, did it take long to get used to using it? As you say the direction key placement seems very strange.
I was grown with joypads or keyboard+mouse, I don't remember ever touching an arcade style controller in my life, the jump was pretty big for me, my first reaction was "what the fuck did I just buy I can't get used to the sensitivity & the up", but it actually took me about 1 month of very seldom 3rd Strike & DOAO gameplay to fully get used to it. I just imagined the up button to be like a spacebar to jump.

After that, I'M HIGH PUNCH IZUNA DROPPING ALL THE FUCKING DAY ON DOAO EVEN WITH 300% PACKET LOSS RATE AND 1k PING YO.
I just gave up with all the shitty d-pads on god knows how many joypads I tried, they were either inaccurate, breaking too quickly or hurting my fingers in a short time, so I went ahead to buy this beast and I would never go back.

The only downside is that it's pretty expensive, as far as I understand it's because the Hitbox guys patented the layout, so Mad Catz/Razer and the likes can't steal & reproduce it cheaper lol

If you should ever find a truly good d-pad, dude share the discovery and I will love you for eternity, to me they just don't exist.
I've read on various sites that the Mad Catz FightPad has a pretty good d-pad, but you can't take my word for it, as I've never even tried it... but it's still not for "general purpose" as it lacks the analog sticks.
sf4.ryu.controller.01.lg.jpg

You can try to summon the almighty @d3v for proper feedback on what you need.

d3v

Those are decent enough, though they're known to be unable to take heavy abuse.

Last edited:

Consili

@WAZAAAAA Thank you for all your suggestions, certainly given me something to think about going forward.

Those are decent enough, through they're known to be unable to take heavy abuse.

Hey @d3v, were you referring to the controllers I referenced or the ones that WAZAAAAA had suggested?

Tulkas

Premium Donor
I'm facing the need to choose a new
controller. I want it to be as most universal as possible keeping PS3/360 playability as tournaments still run on these. I even would consider buying two units of the same manufacturer if they behave exactly the same. E.g.: a unit for PS3/PS4 and the other controller for 360/One.

Until few month ago, I spent one year playing with a Qanba fighting stick with native support for PS3/360/PC. Great stick. Here it is:

10423762_10205366505937075_7611783094108180940_n.jpg

I would love to keep playing witb an arcade stick. I don't think the Hitbox will work to me because the up button is at the bottom and the down button is at the top. It would made me crazy I guess. I also don't know if it is allowed to use in all tournaments as it allows performing crazy stuff such as the backwards pseudo running.

A d-pad would be ok if the diagonals inputs (1/3/7/9) work consistently when using the cross-style directional button (I completly discarded using the mini analog sticks).

Does somebody know something that could meet my expectations?

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD