DOA5U Critique my Sarah?

Calintzsan

There are a few I could mention.

1.) Maybe try using her step motion some more. It's great for playing mind games with people. Most of the people I face when I use that move they instantly try to attack, so I either go with her single :P: out of step, :K::K: (or all 3), or her command throws out of step.

2.) When you use her :1::K::K: during Flamingo, I would use it in moderation. It's one of her most common attacks in that stance and a lot of people are aware of that. I like to use her :4::K: while in Flamingo because most people try to hold for that :1::K::K: or the :P: and :K: options during Flamingo. :3::K: in Flamingo is nice after her :4::K: since I've noticed people trying to get a poke in after I do that.

3.) Lastly, try using her :8: (or :2:):P:+:K::h: while in Flamingo more often. I'm sure you're aware of it being a great sidestepping tool. Since her standard :K: during Flamingo is such a fast move, you can catch people with that after the sidestep cancel while they are still attacking you. Also, :2::K::5::T: is nice in that situation too.

Nameless Sama

My Day 1 Sarah against a very good Phase 4 Player. I would appreciate to get some critique from very good Sarah Players.

Calintzsan

My Day 1 Sarah against a very good Phase 4 Player. I would appreciate to get some critique from very good Sarah Players.

There are a few things I can tell you. Whether or not you take them to heart is up to you I suppose:

1.) The most obvious is to learn her move-set and memorize the strengths of certain moves. I know I'm preaching to the choir on this aspect, but there are some moves that you can use that are pretty effective. Her :4::P+K: is a good one when you are moderately spaced between your opponent. Not only does it catch people a lot, but puts you straight into her flamingo stance. Also, her :P:, :6::P:, :2::P: and :4::4::P: punches are the quickest moves that she has to my knowledge (I'm not very familiar with her frame data, just going by experience instead). She has other attacks that are really useful, but you should get used to her first.

2.) With Sarah, her defensive game is pretty lacking. She doesn't really have any tools she can use that will get her out of pressure situations. I don't follow this strictly because I like having my own way of fighting with her, but when using Sarah you should stay on the offensive and keep constant pressure on the opponent, since that's the strongest part of her game.

3.) Facing against fast strikers like the Kasumis, Christie, Gen Fu and other quick pokers, you need to play a little more patiently. For other fighters it's generally safe to keep the pressure going when the opponent is blocking, but against fast pokers and strikers, they can sneak in attacks before you can get your 2nd string to connect.

A good thing to note is that on block most fighters are unsafe against Sarah when she goes into her flamingo stance (it might all depend on how you get into flamingo, but I'm not 100% sure), so if you were to use her :P+K: for example while the opponent blocks, Sarah is positive on frames. Not all of her attacks into the flamingo stance moves apply to that, but generally you are safe. Like I said, I don't really look at frame data for characters, but in this case I've read about the properties of her flamingo stance on block a few times.

*Note* Be careful when using certain moves in flamingo. Many people like holding high when they see her in the stance because her :P:, :3::P:, and :K: moves while in flamingo are really fast. :K: especially, as I'm pretty sure that's the quickest one. Also, a lot of Sarah users like to use :1::K::K: and many players are aware of that one, so use them all in moderation.

4.) Once you get used to her enough, you should start utilizing her cancels and fake-outs. Finishing strings with Sarah often leave her vulnerable during recovery, but when you use her cancels she can quickly start a new string and begin her real pressure game. You can also use these to play mind games with people. Her forward slide, backward slide, step, move cancels, step cancels and her :8::P+K::P+K: (which puts you into flamingo without attacking) are all excellent ways to trick people and force them to do things and make mistakes. This part takes practice and you just get better with it over time. Executing these actions are not difficult, but stringing them together for an effective pressure game can be. I say can be, but that's because it depends on what you want to do.

5.) If you find yourself in her flamingo stance when the opponent is blocking and you think you're vulnerable, use her :4::P+K: while in flamingo to avoid all attacks. This back-flip move avoids everything, including throws. You can only get hit during the first few frames of activation and the last bit of frames of the move's animation. There's a pretty large window of invincibility with that move, so it's usually safe.

Also, her :8::P+K::h: or :2::P+K::h: while in flamingo is a great side-stepping tool for avoiding attacks as well.

6.) Use her parries more.

Backward slide (after Forward Slide :4:): This parries high and mid punches only, but is really great against people who are trying to throw in pokes to interrupt her pressure. Using her various attacks from backslide are pretty strong. Since she already puts them into a stun-like situation when parrying, you have great room for stun set-ups. For now until you get used to her more, trying using some attack strings that can lead into a forward slide and backward slide instead of activating them by themselves. An example for fast strikers like Kasumi, P4 and Christie would be:

:P::P::P::6::4: is a good way to stop those players from trying to sneak in quick punches. She has more strings that lead into the forward slide too.

Hide Side Kick (:P+K:): Parries mid kicks and mid punches only.

Fake (:P+K: while in flamingo): Parries low punches only.

Those are the parries that I can think of off the top of my head at the moment. I'll add any more that I missed later, but I'm almost 100% positive that's all she has in that department.

It's kind of hard to critique your Sarah thoroughly when you said that it's your day 1 Sarah; I can give you advanced tips and whatnot, but they are going to be all but useless until you start getting used to her more. So until you start getting a good feel for her, those are the only things I can tip you on for now. Hopefully this helped you some. Drop me a message sometime or ask me here if you have more questions about Sarah. I'll be happy to help.

Last edited:

Nameless Sama

Thanks , I appreciate it. Dont worry , I can take criticism , it just a game and without criticism nobody would get better. I didnt know that she has Parries with :6: :6: :P+K: :4: .

Yes , I will ask. Thanks for the offer. I am really impressed that someone wrote a wall of text. I have read it all , was very infomative :) .
For me I will going to lab with her with having your post in mind .

Have a nice day.

Nameless

Calintzsan

Thanks , I appreciate it. Dont worry , I can take criticism , it just a game and without criticism nobody would get better. I didnt know that she has Parries with :6: :6: :P+K: :4: .

Yes , I will ask. Thanks for the offer. I am really impressed that someone wrote a wall of text. I have read it all , was very infomative :) .
For me I will going to lab with her with having your post in mind .

Have a nice day.

Nameless

Glad to hear it. I had a feeling you would take it with a positive frame of mind. You're welcome by the way.

Yeah her backslide is a parry for sure. It also works as trickery too, because you can activate the backslide without attacking and it can act like a spacing fakeout, which is really nice.

I'm always up for writing walls of text about Sarah, so long as it is clear and concise. xD

I'm glad you found it useful. I really want to write a guide for her eventually with Lulu, so hopefully it will inspire more Sarah's and help them out. Have a nice day too, thanks. ;)

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD