DARK SOULS

Argentus

Sorry for Necroing.

Just got into souls this year. Played first two on 360, though never any of the dlc.

Just picked up 2 and 3 on ps4 during coop sale.

I always play the same purple haired archer in every game so far, though my backup melee weapon varies due to combat move set overhauls.

Currently up to Irithyl in 3, but since 3 uses super agile and aggressive bloodborn3 style enemies my character has a hard time because I can't make distance for time to draw back the bow.

14362460_1782361378680916_3296846913292886425_o.jpg

I will say though that souls doesn't deserve the reputation for being difficult. Very few parts are legitimately hard, its mostly fake difficulty nonsense. Plus its relative. Overwlly its on the same general difficulty level as a classic SNES era platformer.

That said I've been hooked. First one is still by far the best though.

Anyone else have 2 and 3 on ps4 I have this archer in 3 and since I already did 2 as archer on 360, I made a hex mage to play through the ps3 master quest version

Lulu

I played through Dark Souls 3 several months ago.... using a guide lol. But I never actually finished it because I didn't have the DLC, so rather than murdering the Cinder Lord or whatever he's called, I just uninstalled the game.... but I'l getting the DLC Tonight + The Video Walkthrough.

So.... any OP DLC weapons I should know about ?

Sotherius

I played through Dark Souls 3 several months ago.... using a guide lol. But I never actually finished it because I didn't have the DLC, so rather than murdering the Cinder Lord or whatever he's called, I just uninstalled the game.... but I'l getting the DLC Tonight + The Video Walkthrough.

So.... any OP DLC weapons I should know about ?

It depends on the build you have. But the dlcs add cool stuff for every kind of build i think. They give you new sorceries, pyromancies, weapons for pyromancers, stuff for strenght, dex, faith and quality builds, you should be more specific of what you want here. haha.

Lulu

It depends on the build you have. But the dlcs add cool stuff for every kind of build i think. They give you new sorceries, pyromancies, weapons for pyromancers, stuff for strenght, dex, faith and quality builds, you should be more specific of what you want here. haha.

LoL... They really nerfed Pyromancy in this game... requires both Int & Faith... splitting your resources...

Don't get me wrong this does lead to the most damage output but so long pouring resources into one stat can still yield over 50% damage output of what Split Stat Builds can do then I can never justify going for Split Stat Builds....

I'm actually rocking a Vitality Build.... poured everything I had into Health and Stamina.... just like I did in Darks Souls 1.

But I'm a min/maxer... its what I do in every RPG...

Seriously though.... It was dirty what they did to Pyromancy. Now theres no character independent magic of any kind.

Edit: You do get to Respec though... so thats cool. I used this to help me get the required stats for Toxic Mist so can breeze through the Grand Archives much faster.... thanks to the Guide. ;)

Sotherius

LoL... They really nerfed Pyromancy in this game... requires both Int & Faith... splitting your resources...

Don't get me wrong this does lead to the most damage output but so long pouring resources into one stat can still yield over 50% damage output of what Split Stat Builds can do then I can never justify going for Split Stat Builds....

I'm actually rocking a Vitality Build.... poured everything I had into Health and Stamina.... just like I did in Darks Souls 1.

But I'm a min/maxer... its what I do in every RPG...

Seriously though.... It was dirty what they did to Pyromancy. Now theres no character independent magic of any kind.

Edit: You do get to Respec though... so thats cool. I used this to help me get the required stats for Toxic Mist so can breeze through the Grand Archives much faster.... thanks to the Guide. ;)

As someone that mainly plays pyro, the stat investment is not a problem, actually, doing pure pyromancy in dark souls 3 is more viable than in 1 (i still preffer 1 a lot of the times). And they added the demon scar, to give even an extra edge to pure pyromancers in the game, it is an amazing weapon overall. and you can also work with a lot of other options.

I'm also working on a quality build this time around, it plays like wonders too, and i did a dex/faith build before. The only one i didn't like was the sorcerer that i made, i ended up just using the moonlight greatsword.

Also, dung pies are way more effective in the grand archives than toxic mist, and you can run without any of those just fine as well.

Argentus

it's the same it was in 2 that way.

it's why I just run Hex/dark magic and pyro together because they use the same scalings anyway.

My first character was my pure dex/str character (only had the STr to squeeze more damage out of my dex weapons).

All 3 bows equipped (Dragonrider, Pharis, and Composite), cycling as needed, and claws (Mannequin and Crow) as my backup melee. BLEED FOR DAYS.

my second/current character is a PURE Pyro/dark magic character. Only the bare mimimum in Str to wield the izalith staff, otherwise all points being poured into Int/Faith/Attunement.

I hit like a damn truck, but several areas with faster enemies give me a LOT of trouble because my spells are slow and lockon range still sucks for spells like it always has.

Um, 2nd dlc has a "Dual Greatswords" weapon that used to be OP. never used it myself, but i know it was OP enough to get patchnerfed.

otherwise the two Crow weapons are godlike. One is a dual weapon in your right hand is a rapier, in your left hand is claws you either slash with or throw like knives during special leaping attacks. the other is Crow Talons.

Oh but make sure to play and beat the Painted world dlc. The story of the second dlc is specifically taking place after the first dlc, so it matters.

You can access first dlc as soon as you do Cathedral of the Deep, second requires making it all the way up to the final boss fog gate.

If you guys have this on ps4, i'd be glad to play with my archer or mage.

i'm planning on doing a melee build next, debating if I want to do a Goblin Slayer cosplay, or just focus on the hollowslayer and abyss greatswords.

Lulu

As someone that mainly plays pyro, the stat investment is not a problem, actually, doing pure pyromancy in dark souls 3 is more viable than in 1 (i still preffer 1 a lot of the times). And they added the demon scar, to give even an extra edge to pure pyromancers in the game, it is an amazing weapon overall. and you can also work with a lot of other options.

Thats the beauty of Dark Souls 1.... Pyromancy was just +1 to whatever Build you had since Pyromancy only required Raw Souls.... now that it requires Stats anytime you pour Souls into Faith & Int you're losing Stats else where....

I hit like a damn truck, but several areas with faster enemies give me a LOT of trouble because my spells are slow and lockon range still sucks for spells like it always has.

And thats why I just avoid using Magic in all the Souls Games... even Mages in Dragons Dogma had casting times so slow they were basically unviable.

They're great for Co-Op... infact they're probably OP for Co-Op but with DS3 mimicking Bloodborne its somewhat situational how effective magic is.

Sotherius

Thats the beauty of Dark Souls 1.... Pyromancy was just +1 to whatever Build you had since Pyromancy only required Raw Souls.... now that it requires Stats anytime you pour Souls into Faith & Int you're losing Stats else where....

Actually, to be pure pyro in dark souls 1 you would want attunement for spell slots and 45 dex to reduce the spell casting, of course, you can also just make use of the stat investment to have dex weapons. But the fact that pyromancies don't scale also mean that they don't get as powerful late game as other forms of attack.

Not saying it is worse or better. But having the option to be only a pyromancer is something i value, or to make mixed builds, and even with the different balancing, it is viable in both games. But to be honest, i don't like the idea that maxed out pyromancy is omething every build can have.

Argentus

And thats why I just avoid using Magic in all the Souls Games... even Mages in Dragons Dogma had casting times so slow they were basically unviable.

They're great for Co-Op... infact they're probably OP for Co-Op but with DS3 mimicking Bloodborne its somewhat situational how effective magic is.

yeah it's extremely crippled solo because all the bloodborne enemies can close the distance WAY too fast.

LUCKILY I realized the Dark Hand is phenomenal as a melee weapon for a hexpyro because it, being a Dark weapon, scales with my stats. Can't be upgraded, but it does ludicrous damage all the way up into the dlc, at which point it "only" does solid damage compared other fast weapons.

so if i'm running around with my staff, i'm running around with glowing fists of doom as i have pyro flame in left hand to hurl Dark Fire at people, and my Dark Hand in my right so I have orange flame fist and red(why is that thing not black) Dark fist.

Lulu

Actually, to be pure pyro in dark souls 1 you would want attunement for spell slots and 45 dex to reduce the spell casting, of course, you can also just make use of the stat investment to have dex weapons. But the fact that pyromancies don't scale also mean that they don't get as powerful late game as other forms of attack.

Why would anyone want to be pure Pyromancy in DS1 ? Theres literally no reason to do that.

. But to be honest, i don't like the idea that maxed out pyromancy is omething every build can have.

Me too.... but I don't like being Rail Roaded into essentially one or two builds even less....

Sotherius

Why would anyone want to be pure Pyromancy in DS1 ? Theres literally no reason to do that.

Me too.... but I don't like being Rail Roaded into essentially one or two builds even less....

First - Because i love pyromancy.

Second - neither dark souls 1 or 3 railroads you into 2 or 3 builds... The ammount of build variety that can be achieved in both games is really cool. Don't see your point here.

Argentus

First - Because i love pyromancy.

Second - neither dark souls 1 or 3 railroads you into 2 or 3 builds... The ammount of build variety that can be achieved in both games is really cool. Don't see your point here.

eh not really.

Take my two characters for example.

For my archer, to really get the most out of archery, i have to dump everything into dex and str. once those are both at 50/50 or 60/60, i start putting it into End so i can fire more shots.

That doesn't leave much for say, magic stats, or health, so I can't really take advantage of the heavier weapons even though I have the STR for it because i don't have the vit and stam to keep up in melee. I'm built for assassinations, not duels.

My hexpyro character has to pour EVERYTHING into faith/int/attunement to really make magic worthwhile, which leaves nothing for str/dex/health/stam.

Also in melee it's basically two handed greatsword or bust due to how enemies are so huge, fast, and unstaggerable by a good chunk of weapons. Like claws are virtually useless in PVE because too many enemies can't be staggered by them so I don't have the time to get in enough hits to build bleed.

Sotherius

I've done dex builds, i'm working on a quality now, did mix between faith and dex, sorcery, everything i tried has worked out with a bit of effort, besides maybe demon fist, i should revisit that any time. I didn't like sorcery because it didn't fit my playstyle, but the build was working well.

The demon scar, i thought it was bad at first, after learning its quirks, i really got to love it.

I have to ask though, are you leveling up until what level? 120? 150? i imagne those are the most common metas anyways, i decided to leave my main character (a pyro) to lvl 150, it is good fun. Heck, with the crystal chime, i can just change the equipment and attuned spells to be a good sorcerer/faith caster, the difference from a hardcap sorcerer build or faith build isn't that high, and if i wanted to do hexes, like you said, i could as well, i just love pyromancy. hahah

Mixed builds are a bit trickier, you'll be giving up on one side or the other, but i think with the right min-maxing and practice it can pay off. I have a character that has 40 dex and 30 faith and i play with darkmoon blade, it is mad fun, she is on lvl 121 now i believe?

And while i do cap myself at the "meta" levels, i am mostly pve, i just do pvp from time to time, but if you're pure pve? you can just level up every stat into its soft cap and just have everything i guess.

Lulu

Numerically ? Yes...

In Practice you're a either Ranger or Close Combat.... that's RPGs for ya.

Sotherius

Numerically ? Yes...

In Practice you're a either Ranger or Close Combat.... that's RPGs for ya.

There is a practical difference between a tank that will use moves with hyper armor/poise and rely on heavy hits, a shield user that will block and strike, someone that will be reliant on dodges and heavy hits, or someone that will try to stunlock enemies with quick attacks, again, don't see your point here, there are different playstyles that approach close combat in different manners, that will need different types of reactions or actions from the player.

Almost the same is valid for ranged users, some will have access to free aim and a ridiculous range allowing to snipe, others will have to play the kite game while throwing spells.

Lulu

LoL... and thats another thing awsell... They nerfed Poise aswell.... don't get me wrong... I've always considered the idea of Armoring through moves for the sake of continuing your assault as pretty stupid.... but Dark Souls rail roads you into using it.... and then they take it away from you in Dark Souls III.

Lulu

Finally got the DLC....

I used my end game Character and was sucked into Ariandel...

Right out of the gate it felt like a Cluster fuck of Dark Souls Greatest Hits.
Poor Visibility
Traps & Ambushes
Excessive Ganking
Damage Sponge Enemies
2 & a Half Hit Deaths
And ofcourse... Hiding Bonfires.
In less than 30 Minutes all the worst aspects of the later half of Dark Souls 1.... plus I all used up all 16 of my Fully upgraded Estus Energy Drink.

I'm not continuing without the walk through.... I don't want experience the other aspect of Souls games... Failing Side Quests cause of some dumb shit like Walking into a Room.

LoL... I wana go in again but this time with my Other Character.... haven't even killed the Abyss Watchers yet so should be interesting how much more Frustrating it would be to go in with 50% Less Progression.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD