DARK SOULS

Argentus

LoL... and thats another thing awsell... They nerfed Poise aswell.... don't get me wrong... I've always considered the idea of Armoring through moves for the sake of continuing your assault as pretty stupid.... but Dark Souls rail roads you into using it.... and then they take it away from you in Dark Souls III.

They put it back with a later patch though.

Right out of the gate it felt like a Cluster fuck of Dark Souls Greatest Hits.
Poor Visibility
Traps & Ambushes
Excessive Ganking
Damage Sponge Enemies
2 & a Half Hit Deaths
And ofcourse... Hiding Bonfires.
In less than 30 Minutes all the worst aspects of the later half of Dark Souls 1.... plus I all used up all 16 of my Fully upgraded Estus Energy Drink.

yeah i'm in the middle of trying to do the dlc with my mage and...it's fucking tedious because it takes almost all of my estus to get through a single area, to the point where I HAVE to get a summon co op partner.

And FUCK THOSE WOLF PACKS IN THE BEGINNING, SERIOUSLY.

Finally got the DLC....

I used my end game Character and was sucked into Ariandel...

Right out of the gate it felt like a Cluster fuck of Dark Souls Greatest Hits.
Poor Visibility
Traps & Ambushes
Excessive Ganking
Damage Sponge Enemies
2 & a Half Hit Deaths
And ofcourse... Hiding Bonfires.
In less than 30 Minutes all the worst aspects of the later half of Dark Souls 1.... plus I all used up all 16 of my Fully upgraded Estus Energy Drink.

I'm not continuing without the walk through.... I don't want experience the other aspect of Souls games... Failing Side Quests cause of some dumb shit like Walking into a Room.

LoL... I wana go in again but this time with my Other Character.... haven't even killed the Abyss Watchers yet so should be interesting how much more Frustrating it would be to go in with 50% Less Progression.

The game does advice you to at least finish lothric castle first by a "mandated" note on the ground by the first bonfire.

Plus side the Ariandel weapons are all REALLY cool.

Lulu

@Argentus
Have you figured out the Wolves Behavior yet ?

I ask because I actually got into a 40 Second Stale Mate while approaching a pair of wolves... they wouldn't come to me and I wouldn't go to them... and yet at other times I've had wolves rush me down.

Also... do you remember that big ass Wolf ? How do you punish that son of a Bitch ? I mean... theres no dodge well timed enough for me to swing my Fastest Sword to smack him as he recovers even from his most powerful attack... he either recovers too quick or winds up being too far away.

LoL... he's kinda like that Chimera in the Artorias of The Abyss DLC... if you do manage to him its only because he let you... had an actual player been controlling that bastard then you'd never score a hit.

Sotherius

The ashes of Ariandel dlc can get a bit troublesome if you're not careful.

Wolves will summon the pack with the howl, rushing to kill the first one is advised, they also have a "pack A.I" meaning that rarely two or 3 will attack at the same time, they mostly circle around while someone takes the front. You can punish anything you dodge basically, but positioning is a better option, also, they are really weak to alluring skulls as well.

Also, the area is really short.

The big wolf, he is not as problematic, his boss fight is a bit worse, since he will shoot ice everywhere and make hard to see things, but in general, he has big recoveries on a lot of moves.

I'm yet to run the ashes of ariandel with a sorcerer, since i didn't enjoy playing sorcerer, but with my pyromancer, i think i've run this in quite different ways, rushing, trying to use my melee attacks, another using my ranged attacks and whatnot.

Also, fyi, the humanoid enemies in the dlc are all weak to Rapport, so if you're a pyro, you have another option to run through this with no problem.

Argentus

@Argentus
Have you figured out the Wolves Behavior yet ?

I ask because I actually got into a 40 Second Stale Mate while approaching a pair of wolves... they wouldn't come to me and I wouldn't go to them... and yet at other times I've had wolves rush me down.

Also... do you remember that big ass Wolf ? How do you punish that son of a Bitch ? I mean... theres no dodge well timed enough for me to swing my Fastest Sword to smack him as he recovers even from his most powerful attack... he either recovers too quick or winds up being too far away.

LoL... he's kinda like that Chimera in the Artorias of The Abyss DLC... if you do manage to him its only because he let you... had an actual player been controlling that bastard then you'd never score a hit.

TBH i just use ranged attacks. been using the darkness nuke projectile and soul dregs but it's odd. direct hits do little damage, but then he randomly gets one shotted when i'm panic shooting as he's right on top of me.

Lulu

So apparently Parrying in this game is so bad...
1) It Doesn't have instant Start Up... having that on top of the unresponsive controls and then shitty netcode on top of that makes it useless to use on reaction.
2) Theres no consistency or logic to what can or can't be parried.... you just have try it on everything multiple times and then commit the results to memory. That plus you take Damage every time you're wrong... even if its perfectly timed.
3) Its Glitchy as Fuck.... partial parries (parry attempts landed before the parry frames are active) drain all your Stamina, leaving you with no defensive options what's so ever to any follow ups... apparently this was supposedly done on purpose to discourage parry spamming... because as we all know Parrying is SO OP !!!.... That was sarcasm by the way... anyway I call bullshit on this being intentional simply because I've gotten both a partial and successful parry at the same time. The enemy becomes vulnerable for a riposte but at the same time the game yanks away all my stamina so I can't get the Riposte.

Near as I can tell your stamina guage can go Below Zero.... what I mean by this is if you have 1SP and you use a move that requires 50SP then you will have -49SP and have a delayed Stamina Regeneration Period as a result. You also can't use Items like Estus or two/one handing your Weapon unless you have stamina despite these mechanics not using stamina at all.

And for the cherry on top of this Crappy Cake.... the Damage you get from a Riposte off a successful parry is pitiful.... even with the Hornet Ring. Really it's only useful at getting the enemies to stop moving... if only for just a moment.

If From Software didn't want people to parry... then they just should've removed it all together. If only because that would one less thing for them to develope and test.

Lulu

HELP.... I'M STUCK !!!

So I finally murdered the GraveTender and his lil Bitch.... now where do I go ?

Nothing opened and no new NPCs appeared to show me the way... I got so bored of running up & down I went ahead and respec'd my character.

Tenro

the last boss is in the upper side of the painted world and if u think gravetender was a problem...... lol wait till u meet it :rolleyes: . the last boss is cool asf tho

Sotherius

HELP.... I'M STUCK !!!

So I finally murdered the GraveTender and his lil Bitch.... now where do I go ?

Nothing opened and no new NPCs appeared to show me the way... I got so bored of running up & down I went ahead and respec'd my character.
Gravetender is an optional boss.

oh and speaking of parry u sort of need parry to defeat that boss
Never parryed in dark souls 3, got throughe verything just fine. haha

Sotherius

Thats great.... now where to next ?

Edit: BTW... nothing is optional if you have to pay for it.
You don't have to pay for it though, you just can.

Bonfire before the bridge that leads to the church where Elfriede is, go to the side, you'll see a ladder, go down and follow that path.

Lulu

Bonfire before the bridge that leads to the church where Elfriede is, go to the side, you'll see a ladder, go down and follow that path.
Thanks... Any nasty surprizes I should know about before going in ?

You don't have to pay for it though, you just can.

What I meant was if I'm going to buy a game then I'm just gonna go ahead and do everything just to get my money's worth... even if it pisses me off.

@Argentus
Anyway... it turns out Back Rolling the Big Wolf's Lunge Attack makes it easier to punish.... its not something I'm used to doing because this type of rolling usually never works because the developers gave the enemies large Hitboxes choc full of Active Frames long enough to exceed your I-Frames.

Lulu

So apparently Poise wasn't actually nerfed in Dark Souls III.... it simply wasn't added in to begin with.

Now you have Hyper Armor !!!!

Which is essentially just Poise tethered to specific weapon attacks.... The key word being "Attacks".... merely holding the weapon does nothing.

LoL... so unless you're wielding some Ultra Great Weapon theres no point in levelling up Vitality... like at all... not even alil bit. Not only because you are essentially poiseless if you're wielding a Straight sword but also because The Damage Resistance from armor is essentially non-existant.... I actually got two shotted at 50 Vigor with Havel's Armor set. And that was just on my first play through.... might aswel play NG+ in Sweat Pants.

So I respec'd and poured essentially any excess Skill Points that were basically idling in Vitality and Transfered all that into Vigor....

Cool thing about Raw HP is if you have enough of it, you don't need to give two fucks about Resistances... other than Curse obviously. LoL... I be shrugging off Bleed and Frostbites like it was a soar throat.

I kept some Vitality in reserve in case I need to pick up something Heavy...

Sotherius

It works, like they want it to work, your poise affects your super armor on moves that have said superarmor, It is doing me wonders with my Murakumo on this new character i'm playing around (also, never used murakumo before, really fun weapon). Of course, its usage is dependant on the build, and that is why you have other deffensive tools besides poise.

Sotherius

This Quality build thing is so far really fun, but i'm already missing my pyromancy stuff, but being able to try out so many different weapons while having them to be effective has its perks.

I'm wondering what to try next, i really like playing the endgame with different builds, shame the first levels are always somewhat boring, and almost all builds i plan require some endgame equipment.

Lulu

LoL... again, thats essentially what I said earlier. It literally doesn't exist outside of Great Weapons.... and even then you have to actually swing your weapon to turn poise on....

Which is fine if you manage to kill whatever group of enemies surrounds you, but if you wind up soaking up too much damage and need to estus up then you are poiseless... theres no ultra great estus thats going to let you estus safely.... and thats bound to be an issue if your gameplan is essentially "Lets Trade Hits !!!"

I've never particularly liked armor in any type of game.... I mean when developers dedicate so much time and resources into Armor they're basically saying "We Expect you to get hit." And sure enough, taking damage is guaranteed, even when you're blocking.

All that time spent crafting 200 pieces of armor could've been used to give you defensive options actually designed for PvE... if only to make glass cannon builds more viable.

Ofcourse this is nothing new, throwing PvE enemies against a character with PvP mechanics is something From Software has been sucking at since Demon Souls...

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD