DARK SOULS

Lulu

And that is where you are wrong as well, i am one of the many people that enjoy what dark souls is mechanically. Yeah, it is not a deep system by any means, but it is a fun, contained and varied system that allows for many different and fun builds that change how you play the game completely and allow you to approach situations in many ways.

The controls work for that, the stamina system, the stats, the upgrade paths, is just so nice.

Its got two playstyles... Ranged & Close Quarters. The "Builds" are a Fantasy Feature. Entertaining if you're the type of person who likes to play Make Believe. In reality they are merely numbers.... this isn't necessarily specific to Dark Souls... RPGs are always lacking from a gameplay standpoint. Mind you this is a genre that stubbornly refuses to let go of its Pen & Paper Heritage.

Even Bastion has way more Mechanical Variety than Dark Souls because they didn't decide to focus so much attention on Stats and Levelling Up.

Sotherius

Its got two playstyles... Ranged & Close Quarters. The "Builds" are a Fantasy Feature

Let's see, you can play the game in different sets of range, with moves that have different frame advantage, damage and hitbox/movement, and you limit your playstyle to "ranged and close quarters"? Yes, it is not the deepest combat system in the world or the most interesting, but it is a functional action rpg with way more than 2 playstyles.

And don't come with that talk about numbers, there are too many numbers to be taken into account to consider for only "two playstyles". You don't need much to see that happening, even considering min-maxing, you get completely different builds focused on obtaining results from different gameplay aspects of the game, someone trying to maximize criticals, someone trying to be cheeky and play with ailments and debuffs, someone that just want raw damage, people that just want to look cool.

I guess i'm done with this talk, i took the bait and i'm paying for it.

Argentus

And that is where you are wrong as well, i am one of the many people that enjoy what dark souls is mechanically. Yeah, it is not a deep system by any means, but it is a fun, contained and varied system that allows for many different and fun builds that change how you play the game completely and allow you to approach situations in many ways.

The controls work for that, the stamina system, the stats, the upgrade paths, is just so nice.

"Competitively"

And there in lies the problem.

PVP is a broken mess that people somehow have fun with, but a broken mess it still is. Dark souls is in no way designed to be "competitive".

Dark Souls is first and foremost, a pve game, and everything is designed with that in mind.

Sotherius

oh shit my bad sorry, i read "completely" as "competitively" for some reason.
Oh, no problem, but yeah, while i do have fun with pvp ocasionally, my focus is pve (but i do keep my characters around the "meta" level just to have multiplayer options)

Lulu

Let's see, you can play the game in different sets of range, with moves that have different frame advantage, damage and hitbox/movement, and you limit your playstyle to "ranged and close quarters"? Yes, it is not the deepest combat system in the world or the most interesting, but it is a functional action rpg with way more than 2 playstyles.

See... Ranged and Melee. The lock on system is way too shitty for any sort of Ranged Variances and The Melee Builds only have two Sub categories... Tanking and Glass Cannon.

And don't come with that talk about numbers, there are too many numbers to be taken into account to consider for only "two playstyles". You don't need much to see that happening, even considering min-maxing, you get completely different builds focused on obtaining results from different gameplay aspects of the game, someone trying to maximize criticals, someone trying to be cheeky and play with ailments and debuffs, someone that just want raw damage, people that just want to look cool.

LoL... They are just numbers they affect how much damage your Spells and Weapons do.... they don't unlock new playstyles. LoL... Theres no Stat thats going to Added Stealth Gameplay or More Mechanics. And thats the problem with many RPGs... they rely on numbers too much.

Dark_Blood_NG

I like Dark Souls. I agree that the rpg elements can be boring, but I like the combat system. It's simple but gives the player a different array of weapons, and also it focuses on the basics of combat like spacing and timings, giving a good feel to the player, doesn't feel gimmicky like some action games that revolve around some specific mechanics. Also, the rpg element can be used to make the gameplay more interesting. In fact, handicapping your character may lead to different playstyles, since different damage output changes the risk/reward balance drastically in certain instances, for example when you fight multiple enemies.

It's not the best game ever and I never took it too seriously, though it has its charm. Sometimes I just want to create a new character, set a bunch of rules and play a souls game.

Argentus

i hope the remaster takes the better parts of both DS2 and DS3.

Like DS2 had powerstancing, much better whip movesets, poison mechanics that actually worked, more and better spells, etc.

DS3 had...um.

Faster player character animations, yeah.

Oh yeah and both DS2 and DS3 had better jump controls.

Dark_Blood_NG

i hope the remaster takes the better parts of both DS2 and DS3
Frankly I don't think they are going to change anything in the game, I suspect it'll be a very lazy remaster, just resolution, framerate and more people in multiplayer. I'd be happy if they bring some novelties, though.

I agree about DS3 being lazy. I actually like it a lot, but yeah. Though, I like the dual wielding weapons.

Sotherius

I like the skill/weapon art system in Dark Souls 3 a lot, and how responsive the controls are in comparison with previous games, and the upgrade paths.

Brute

Standard Donor
LMAO Dark Souls inspired so many games calling it not well designed is a bit ignorant.
Twilight inspired a huge wave of countless new, crappy, YA knock-offs (as well as 50 Shades of Grey).

Crappy shit inspires more shit all the time. Just because something is popular and "inspires" derivative content does not mean it's good or "well-designed."

Lulu

Frankly I don't think they are going to change anything in the game, I suspect it'll be a very lazy remaster, just resolution, framerate and more people in multiplayer. I'd be happy if they bring some novelties, though.

If it were any other game then yeah but I think The Original was so dated that an HD Coat Of Paint is far from lazy.... plus people are crazy about it... I'm sure even the slightest improvements made to the game will do the game some good.... Come On.... tell me you don't wana Fight Sif or Gwyn without the Frame Rate Tanking because of the Fur and Flame Effects.

And maybe with the upgrade you could finally see those Blowdart Fuckers hiding all over Blight Town..... all though that would only matter to people who've never played it before..... anybody who's played it twice knows exactly where each one of them is standing.... them and every other enemy in The Game because they literally will not move until they see the Player

Dark_Blood_NG

The Original was so dated that an HD Coat Of Paint is far from lazy
I like the original but I agree they have been lazy. People were dreaming about a "finished" version of Dark Souls with cut content added and more finished versions of Lost Izalith. Plus a lot of people already play on pc so has already 60 frames and decent resolution. Though, it's not even From making this remaster so it's normal.

Lulu

Meanwhile in other news... I murdered Sister Friede and her Dad or Uncle or whatever in one try...

I thought this was interesting because last time it took me exactly 12 Attemps to kill those Fuckers...

Turns out its easy.... Just needed 99 Vigor and whatever Ultra Great Weapon Lying Around..... I just do to her what she Did to me.... Outlast her Ass !!!

LoL... poise is funny in this Game.... I managed to power through The Demon Prince's Attacks (Except for the two Big One's Obviously) with a Spiked Mace and nothing but The Dancers Armor but wearing the Entire Havel's Set doesn't stop even Arrows from Interrupting you because you're using a Standard Weapon. Ofcourse Ultra Great Weapons are useless against Mobs...you get interupted before your poise can activate and even if it does the damage you take trying to get that swing out is real.... any any enemies not caught by that attack will Finish You off.... But this isn't new. The Souls Games Design have never been suitable for fighting more than one Enemy at a Time.
I like the original but I agree they have been lazy. People were dreaming about a "finished" version of Dark Souls with cut content added and more finished versions of Lost Izalith. Plus a lot of people already play on pc so has already 60 frames and decent resolution. Though, it's not even From making this remaster so it's normal.
LoL... why do people keep starting Rumors... actually you know what.... that was a dumb question.... so why do people keep believing these Rumors ?

LoL... I mean this one is not as bad as the DoA6 one but still.

People gotta get their Hype sorted.

Argentus

If it were any other game then yeah but I think The Original was so dated that an HD Coat Of Paint is far from lazy.... plus people are crazy about it... I'm sure even the slightest improvements made to the game will do the game some good.... Come On.... tell me you don't wana Fight Sif or Gwyn without the Frame Rate Tanking because of the Fur and Flame Effects.

And maybe with the upgrade you could finally see those Blowdart Fuckers hiding all over Blight Town..... all though that would only matter to people who've never played it before..... anybody who's played it twice knows exactly where each one of them is standing.... them and every other enemy in The Game because they literally will not move until they see the Player

This is why i loved bein a pure archer. i could just snipe all those assholes lol. (and everything else in the game)

Lulu

This is why i loved bein a pure archer. i could just snipe all those assholes lol. (and everything else in the game)

LoL... yeah but you need to see them first. And they were very hard to see.

Killing them wasn't a problem.... you could bum rush them... you don't even need to use the The Spider Shield... you block the Toxic with your weapon.

The problem was knowing where they are before they knew where you were... on you your first playthrough, obviously.

Argentus

LoL... yeah but you need to see them first. And they were very hard to see.

Killing them wasn't a problem.... you could bum rush them... you don't even need to use the The Spider Shield... you block the Toxic with your weapon.

The problem was knowing where they are before they knew where you were... on you your first playthrough, obviously.

no i mean that's the point. I never needed to block or bumrush anything lol. I cautiously checked every corner and hallway, and sniped out all enemies i could see and baited out the others with arrows. even those toxic guys i'd get hit with like, one, then see where it's coming from, and snipe them out while strafing their shots at me.

Lulu

no i mean that's the point. I never needed to block or bumrush anything lol. I cautiously checked every corner and hallway, and sniped out all enemies i could see and baited out the others with arrows. even those toxic guys i'd get hit with like, one, then see where it's coming from, and snipe them out while strafing their shots at me.

Pretty Sweet. I tried playing like that once. No amount of caution saved me from getting Instakilled by a Mimic. Plus It took a freakishly long time to get through the simplest of Areas.

By the time I got to The Dukes Archives I just ran everywhere I felt like.... Traps & Ambushes Be Damned. It was just faster that way.

Argentus

No amount of caution saved me from getting Instakilled by a Mimic

Talisman to disable it, poison cloud pyromancy to kill it without even "triggering" it, or just kite the thing around while peppering it with arrows.

Plus It took a freakishly long time to get through the simplest of Areas.

I don't mind. I grew up playing stealth games, so i'm used to taking the slow and steady approach. Also in Souls you're kind of heavily encouraged to play the "slow and steady" thing. Half the reason people think its so hard is because they bumrush everything then get killed lol.

Some people say i'm being cheap or "I suck and need to learn how to play", but I just figure i'm playing as intended: safe and cautious. Plus even if it is me being cheap, i just figure that's breaking even since the enemies can be cheap as fuck too lol.

The ONLY enemy in the (base) game archery doesn't work for is the Four Kings, and that is why I utterly DESPISE them, and I why i sympathize with the Witch Beatrice summon so much. Like her, my build is meant to outrange and outlast the enemy. Also like her, i die horribly to the four kings because I can't compete in the dps race that is that boss fight with my bow.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD