Dead or Alive 6: Online Beta

juliusxcix

After playing the BETA, I still don't know how to feel about DOA6. I'm on the fence, the extreme input delay + lag really didn't do it any justice at all, it was definitely a massive buzzkill for me. I personally think it's way too casual and noob friendly, I have a feeling that those type of players will not be sticking around even IF they decide to buy the game.

One thing that irks me is the new SS, it's a massive improvement from DOA5 (which is appreciated) but I still feel like it's way too evasive and just too good. I tested it out and kept on blasting people around the Colosseum with ease with not much risk to worry about. They should've kept DOA5's SS and made it more useful, getting the right balance without overdoing it how it is in DOA6. Now we're stuck with everyone Marie Rose'ing each other when they SS & hit you. I am definitely not a fan of that :rolleyes:

As for the Break Blow in DOA6 it's similar to how the Rage Art works, I feel like I'm playing Tekken 7 all over again. The way the BB just pops up out of nowhere and clips you is a little frustrating at times. I personally just think these new mechanics are a cheap way to cheese your opponent to clutch that win same goes for Tekken 7. I guess it is a fighting game after all, there's no rules to combat. It's just I tend to respect my opponents & fight fairly. Overall it was interestingly fun, great graphics but I'm not sure if I will purchase it on day one. I'll be looking at reviews, streams and you guys for opinions/guidance.

Disclaimer, I think my opinion of the game might change later on down the line, or it might not. For now I'm not sold.
i really dont mind the fatal rush or the fatal blow because it’s basically the powerblow. but now its counterable and you can cancel it to take advantage and do massive damage. i think its gonna be great when people learn how to use it with the stages and characters’ movesets. doa6, in my opinion, makes doa5 look and FEEL boring. the combos in doa6 look and feel cooler and i feel way more saucy when im able to land these cool combos. doa6 snapped.

Raansu

After playing the BETA, I still don't know how to feel about DOA6. I'm on the fence, the extreme input delay + lag really didn't do it any justice at all, it was definitely a massive buzzkill for me. I personally think it's way too casual and noob friendly, I have a feeling that those type of players will not be sticking around even IF they decide to buy the game.

One thing that irks me is the new SS, it's a massive improvement from DOA5 (which is appreciated) but I still feel like it's way too evasive and just too good. I tested it out and kept on blasting people around the Colosseum with ease with not much risk to worry about. They should've kept DOA5's SS and made it more useful, getting the right balance without overdoing it how it is in DOA6. Now we're stuck with everyone Marie Rose'ing each other when they SS & hit you. I am definitely not a fan of that :rolleyes:

As for the Break Blow in DOA6 it's similar to how the Rage Art works, I feel like I'm playing Tekken 7 all over again. The way the BB just pops up out of nowhere and clips you is a little frustrating at times. I personally just think these new mechanics are a cheap way to cheese your opponent to clutch that win same goes for Tekken 7. I guess it is a fighting game after all, there's no rules to combat. It's just I tend to respect my opponents & fight fairly. Overall it was interestingly fun, great graphics but I'm not sure if I will purchase it on day one. I'll be looking at reviews, streams and you guys for opinions/guidance.

Disclaimer, I think my opinion of the game might change later on down the line, or it might not. For now I'm not sold.

I think the SS is fine. Just gotta incorporate more horizontal tracking hits.

I'm not a fan of the meter system. BH's I think should be limited to specific situations and shouldn't be allowed to use in neutral or normal stuns, but that's my personal opinion on that.

BB's being both a sabaki and a guard break that can take almost half your health is just no thanks. I'm fine with BB's but either the sabaki goes or the GB goes. It shouldn't be both.

In general I think the game has a ton of potential. You don't have to play the stun game, the neutral game is super important, damage seems where it should be. Only issues I have is the meter mechanics and the meter starting at 50% at the start of a match. Personally I'd rather it be zero, but if they want to give some meter then put it to 25% at the start.

Ground game.....I hate FT's so I try to keep my opinion out of it. I know we need a ground game, but I REALLY don't want to see FT's come back, but how it works right now is just....bad. I'd rather see DoA2/3's ground game than have what we have right now. At least in 2 and 3 you had some decent options during the WUK guess.

Dr PaC

i really dont mind the fatal rush or the fatal blow because it’s basically the powerblow. but now its counterable and you can cancel it to take advantage and do massive damage. i think its gonna be great when people learn how to use it with the stages and characters’ movesets. doa6, in my opinion, makes doa5 look and FEEL boring. the combos in doa6 look and feel cooler and i feel way more saucy when im able to land these cool combos. doa6 snapped.[/QUOTE
I think the SS is fine. Just gotta incorporate more horizontal tracking hits.

I'm not a fan of the meter system. BH's I think should be limited to specific situations and shouldn't be allowed to use in neutral or normal stuns, but that's my personal opinion on that.

BB's being both a sabaki and a guard break that can take almost half your health is just no thanks. I'm fine with BB's but either the sabaki goes or the GB goes. It shouldn't be both.

In general I think the game has a ton of potential. You don't have to play the stun game, the neutral game is super important, damage seems where it should be. Only issues I have is the meter mechanics and the meter starting at 50% at the start of a match. Personally I'd rather it be zero, but if they want to give some meter then put it to 25% at the start.

Ground game.....I hate FT's so I try to keep my opinion out of it. I know we need a ground game, but I REALLY don't want to see FT's come back, but how it works right now is just....bad. I'd rather see DoA2/3's ground game than have what we have right now. At least in 2 and 3 you had some decent options during the WUK guess.
The ground game will be a bit hard for me to get used to since I came from the era of force teching your opponent, but I do think its fair that its gone. Ill miss it, but adapting wont be as bad as people make it out to be. I play grappler characters in DOA anyways so my ground game doesnt really change all that much.

Raansu

The ground game will be a bit hard for me to get used to since I came from the era of force teching your opponent, but I do think its fair that its gone. Ill miss it, but adapting wont be as bad as people make it out to be. I play grappler characters in DOA anyways so my ground game doesnt really change all that much.

I think its less about adapting and more that the ground game right now is just bad. WUK's have too much range and too much invincibility. I don't really care that I can't hit people on the ground, but I do care about how annoying it is to jump over a low wake up kick. I get tripped more often than I should. I also don't think WUKs should stun.

WUKs need to be toned down, and personally I don't care if I can get smacked around all day on the ground. The option to pressure people to tech up is fine imo. I just hate how DoA always handles FT's. Its never been balanced and in the current mechanics I think FT's would be incredibly obnoxious.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
How do you cancel a break blow btw?

The moment the Break Blow connects you press H/Free. If you try to constantly tap H before the BB connects it won't register. The best time to press H is when the screen blurs out and freezes on that first few seconds (the part where the blood droplets hit the screen). Very easy to do with a lot of window time so it should be no trouble.

Tina2040_

I actually really enjoyed the beta. My only complaint is that the meter charges up way too quickly.
I still prefer the DOA5 super system with the charge, but the SS is still fun.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
A lot of Ayane players can’t play her properly, I’m not an Ayane player but maybe @Force_of_Nature could explain to you why Ayane isn’t that easy, since he mains her.

Ayane can come off as a very deceptive character because a lot of her "bullshit" can seem abusable, especially online (where people chuck out annoying shit in lag) or on paper, but in reality the challenge with Ayane comes from: managing a large and relatively complex moveset (so far only second to Brad Wong in size), micro-managing movement/stances and spacing for effective zoning, and utilising the correct tools to open up a patient opponent with stalwart defenses. In general this doesn't sound all too bad, but Ayane is arguably one of the most unsafe characters in DOA with regards to how hard she can get blown up if she makes any mistakes, especially anything that leaves her backturned (hint, she can be strike-punished probably more than majority of the cast). Basically Ayane requires dedication if you want to have any serious competitive impact with her. She is indeed a good character, but she doesn't exactly tear up the offline competitive scene for a reason.

As for her DOA6 throw damage, I'm guessing what is being referred to is 64T. Yes, 64T can lead to a lot of damage now, but it receives zero hi-counter modifiers and requires full meter for the break blow/cancel extensions. Remember that 64T lead to good damage in DOA5LR too; this is one of Ayane's primary tools to open up a turtling opponent. Likely in DOA6, pretty much any character with a combo/launcher throw will be able to combo from their BB's (Hayabusa, Kasumi & Hayate could do disgusting damage too). Once the full game drops in March, we'll be able to see what crazy damage every character can come up with.

Last edited:

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
I did mention that her throws (wall or not) were also OP in DOA5. She's unsafe if she does the wrong move, but players like Hajin or you don't typically make the wrong move because of the experience you have with the character. Playing as Diego, I still defeated most of my Ayanes, but it was because of their lack of experience with DOA fundamentals.

I only had time for 100-150 matches, I've been busy with news for the game and my job, but had I gotten to the B grade I knew it would have only been a matter of time before the punishment begins. I played as Ayane a handful of times (I do not play her often) and easily controlled my opponent's mental fortitude and did whatever I wanted to them.

I crushed them when they tried attacking me, zoned or left the fight when I wanted, scared them into blocking so I could get an easy follow up options... and was rarely reversed. Was I punished with a throw or two? Yes. Did it change the outcome of the match? Absolutely not.

Definitely have no problem with Ayane, but she takes advantage of the new system IMO in ways that others can not.

My thoughts on the rest of the ninjas? Well IDK I didn't get in fights with them nearly as much, but I destroyed every Hayate that came my way. His annoyances don't get the best of me anymore unless it's a really good one like Rojikku.

Thoughts on Diego: Incredible character. He could enjoy a few additional moves, but it does not stop him from being a load of fun. I felt satisfied after a win and felt I deserved it. The mirror fights were a lot of fun as well.

Played 10-20 matches with Kasumi. She feels really good, and I like her a lot so far. Hayabusa was a ton of fun, but I will not use him much in 6 :(. Hayate needs some stronger variety, IMO he was by far the worst character and easiest to beat with the beta matchups we had.

Love the ninjas to death, they are iconic, but I'm sticking to my characters that aren't ninjas.

Last edited:

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
I did mention that her throws (wall or not) were also OP in DOA5. She's unsafe if she does the wrong move, but players like Hajin or you don't typically make the wrong move because of the experience you have with the character. Playing as Diego, I still defeated most of my Ayanes, but it was because of their lack of experience with DOA fundamentals.

I only had time for 100-150 matches, I've been busy with news for the game and my job, but had I gotten to the B grade I knew it would have only been a matter of time before the punishment begins. I played as Ayane a handful of times (I do not play her often) and easily controlled my opponent's mental fortitude and did whatever I wanted to them.

I crushed them when they tried attacking me, zoned or left the fight when I wanted, scared them into blocking so I could get an easy follow up options... and was rarely reversed. Was I punished with a throw or two? Yes. Did it change the outcome of the match? Absolutely not.

Definitely have no problem with Ayane, but she takes advantage of the new system IMO in ways that others can not.

My thoughts on the rest of the ninjas? Well IDK I didn't get in fights with them nearly as much, but I destroyed every Hayate that came my way.

Thoughts on Diego: Incredible character. He could enjoy a few additional moves, but it does not stop him from being a load of fun. I felt satisfied after a win and felt I deserved it. The mirror fights were a lot of fun as well.

Fair enough, yeah, Ayane's good but honestly, she doesn't really dominate per se at a high level compared to like a GenFu, Christie or even Rachel, Phase-4, and others. She basically looks OP on paper, but in reality she's gunna get punished dearly for any mistakes made and as long as her opponent is patient and pays attention to what she does, she can get shut down. To balance out the riskiness of her playstyle and slight difficulty with opening up strong defenses, she gets rewarded with good damage output. I will admit that Ayane is an incredibly annoying opponent and forces the opponent to play the patient game. Her throw damage is also not as high as characters like Hayate, Hayabusa, GenFu, or any Super Heavyweights or grapplers for instance.

As for Break Blows, Ayane's is definitely sidesteppable.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
Yes I will agree. There are still matchups coming that will get the best of her, but in this beta Ayane was god. It was hard for some people to not pick her because she was the easy win when you constituent the sheer size of DOA Colosseum.

While I'm on it, that's another thing that needs some changes. That god dammed Colosseum. I never want to see it again. I'm not trying to sound like a baby, but it is so ugly that it made me feel a little nauseous and it's way too big. No more of that helipad bullshit please Team NINJA.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Hey, I worked hard for my wins :p! But yeah, the Colloseum was a simple, yet fun stage. Looking forward to the crazy OP antics of any stages with real dangerzones :eek:.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD