"Did you enjoy my full course of technique" - Leifang General Strategy Thread

Einzelkind

I use the 64p,3p,64p,3p into launch after her mid kick hold all the time if the opponent is near a wall. In open space it's really hard to connect the last 3p without perfect timing, because the opponent gets pushed away a bit more with every attack. You can also connect 8k after her feint stun if you're near a wall, which doesn't wall splat.

NightAntilli

Off topic wish i could play you to bad you re at xbox...
I'd gladly play you.. Too bad I don't have access to a PS3 right now. If that ever is the case I'll try and remember to tell you.

I use the 64p,3p,64p,3p into launch after her mid kick hold all the time if the opponent is near a wall. In open space it's really hard to connect the last 3p without perfect timing, because the opponent gets pushed away a bit more with every attack. You can also connect 8k after her feint stun if you're near a wall, which doesn't wall splat.
I see no reason as to use it in open space. There are better setups in open space that would otherwise slam into walls, which is why I change things depending on the environments.

Gaignun

Has anyone had success incorporating force techs into Leifang's game? Terminating a juggle combo with :H+K: (as opposed to, for example, :P::P::6::P::P: or :3::K::P+K:) gives Leifang +17 frame advantage if her opponent doesn't tech and -1 if her opponent does. From what I can tell, this force tech gives Leifang the most priority and best spacing for a followup attack among all other force techs. I am wondering if there are any moves after this force tech that are worth using.

The following is my limited list of follow-ups. Numbers in brackets indicate the number of frames between the opponent regaining control of his/her character and the move connecting. Moves with negative numbers can be buffered and will still connect. Moves with positive numbers need to be delayed, else they'll whiff.

1) an offensive hold
:6::6::F+P: (-3)
:236::F+P: (-5)
Beats: standing guard, jab, hold, quickstep
Loses to: crouch, throw

2) a medium punch
:1::P::P: (or :1::P::4: to lead into an unshu mixup if you expect your opponent to block) (-2)
Beats: jab, throw, crouch, quickstep (second :P: hits if done immediately after the first)
Loses to: hold, standing guard (-11 frame adv.)
Notes: stuns on counter-hit, giving Leifang the opportunity to carry her opponent into yet another force-tech. The second :P: can be delayed to bait the opponent into riposting, upon which the second :P: will put the opponent into stun.

3) a medium kick
:6::6: :K: (-3)
Beats: jab, throw, crouch
Loses to: hold, quickstep, standing guard (-12 frame adv.)
Notes: stuns on hit and launches on counter-hit, giving Leifang the opportunity to carry her opponent into yet another force-tech.

4) a low kick
:2::H+K: (-5)
Beats: standing guard, jab, throw
Loses to: hold, quickstep, crouch (-18 frame adv.)

Option 2 is safest, and option 3 has the biggest payoff, but is unsafe on block and can be quickstepped. To be honest, I cannot find a decent, safe kick that doesn't give your opponent a chance to counter for big damage. Your best bet might be to train your opponent into stand-guarding with :1::P::P:, then sneak in an offensive hold every now and then to make him/her think twice about trying to hold. Once your opponent is familiar with the mixup, you can pull options 3 and 4 out of left field.

It's unfortunate that Leifang doesn't have any solid one-hit guard breaks that can be used to continue applying pressure if your opponent guesses right with a block. For that reason, she's not going to be the best character to force-tech with.

Punishere

Nice, I have. If you end with (H+K) instead of palm (6p), You can follow up on the force tech. (Ending with P+K is good too especially if they tech up, (lei can set up a tech trap) I find ending with (H+K) is not completely consistent on normal combos (but is on CB combo). You only sacrifice a little damage for a extra mix-up (which lei is good at doing.) Once again nice save!

hitomisave.gif

Yoyo

I'm not sure if this is in the right thread but I have an air juggle combo after the usual critical burst setup with :3::P::4::P::P: and I was wondering if it's good or bad depending on any situation

phoenix1985gr

Nice, I have. If you end with (H+K) instead of palm (6p), You can follow up on the force tech. (Ending with P+K is good too especially if they tech up, (lei can set up a tech trap) I find ending with (H+K) is not completely consistent on normal combos (but is on CB combo). You only sacrifice a little damage for a extra mix-up (which lei is good at doing.) Once again nice save!

hitomisave.gif

What do you mean ending with p+k? can you give an example?

Punishere

^ Hes right I put the old school inputs still. Ending with K looks like P+K at neutral. When it connects they flip and hit the ground. If you opponent techs up quickly, you can catch them in a frame trap.

HoodsXx

So I have a question for you Leifang experts in here. :) I've decided to have Leifang as my third up and coming sub in, other than Brad Wong. And my question is this. The way I play Leifang, is I mostly use her defensive options to her advantage while opening the person up either with her low stuns (1KK, 2H+K, 3P2K etc.) While I'm on the defensive side, blocking their strings, I will try and predict on whether they will finish with a kick or a punch. (Mid or high punch) Depending on if they end on a kick, I will do her advanced mid kick hold (It's easier to me than doing her mid kick hold, since sometimes that comes out as well when trying to do her advanced mid kick hold). Then proceed to do her guaranteed combo from there. If they decide to do a mid or high punch I will then use either her 3H (Parry) or her Unshu stance and do either P+K, 2K, or her OH and go for that one guess game. My question from what I just explained to you is. Is this playstyle viable in high level play if I decide to go through with what I"m doing for the most part? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks in advanced.

NanhouDrops.

NightAntilli

It's not bad, but always going low when on the offensive will become predictable, so you should try using her offensive holds from time to time, and while on the defensive, if you don't know if a mid punch or kick is coming it's better to just parry.

Yoyo

What would be the best follow up for Unshu :2::K: because every time, I try to use it I have no proper follow up afterwards?

phoenix1985gr

If its on normal hit nothing you get nothing only frame advantage... so its a mixup i usually go for 66T after 2H+K pp2k etc and after the first 1 or 2 times i go for a mid... on counter hit its a stun so you re good especially with the glitch i remember nigh saying saying that on counter a safe follow up is k2k 9pp for a small juggle

Yoyo

If its on normal hit nothing you get nothing only frame advantage... so its a mixup i usually go for 66T after 2H+K pp2k etc and after the first 1 or 2 times i go for a mid... on counter hit its a stun so you re good especially with the glitch i remember nigh saying saying that on counter a safe follow up is k2k 9pp for a small juggle

Thanks

NightAntilli

I mix up between a few different things, including 66T etc. However, if you overuse it, people will start grabbing you. To avoid that from happening, I usually go for 4KK. That refrains them from sidestepping, and discourages their throw to counter 66T.

suntsun

First of all, I'd like to thank you all because I've learnt so much. This thread is awesome. Anyway, let's get straight to the point, I've been messing around with combos that end with :6::P::K:. However, I have no clue what to do when the opponent techs. What should I do if they don't tech? Am I supposed to hit them with moves like :H+K:?
Thank you in advance Lei fellows.

Gaignun

It depends on how the opponent techs. Opponents that tech away from you in open space get out of jail, so you'll need to run/dash forward to connect with anything, which puts you at a slight frame disadvantage (ie. you might dash into their wakeup jabs). I think that an offensive hold (like :6::6::F+P:) and a quick, safe-ish mid attack are good complementary follow-ups; the mid beats crouches and wake-up throws, and the offensive hold beats everything else. Be aware, though, that all of Leifang's mid attacks, with the exception of certain :3::P:/:7::P: strings, :1::P+K:, :H+K:, and :6::H+K: are throw-punishable. Of these, :3::P: strings and :1::P+K: are probably your best bets.

If the opponent doesn't tech, I believe that :H+K:, :2::H+K:, :2::K:, and :8::P+K: are your only options. :H+K: is good because it gives you frame advantage and close spacing, which you can use to apply the aforementioned offensive hold or mid attack.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD