DOA Q&A

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
DOA Q&A

What's this thread for?
The point of this thread is so that people feel encouraged to ask questions in a friendly environment without receiving any backlash. There are no dumb questions, so please feel to ask away. I just ask that you be respectful towards others here and that you try and skim the thread to see if your question has already been addressed. If you would like clarification on something already discussed then by all means please ask that, it's just asking questions already answered that would be frowned upon.

I'm going to attempt to keep a compilation of some of the various questions and answers in the first post to help keep some order to this thread because I expect that this will become quite large and too difficult to sort through.

Questions:

Tenren

i just got a really good idea, it could help with answers. We need a spread sheet with all the DOA games across the top. Then down the side stats of the games. Like Holds systems. Which games had 4 point or 3 point. Normal life bar Hp what ever else we can think of. Basically giving people a quick break down of the differences between games

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Sounds like an item for the wiki. I believe Grap3 even saw such a thing in one of the Japanese guides already.

DyByHands

Im not an advance player, and must admit, most people on here have the intimidation factor pumping :( IMO, coming from a non-competitive player who has enjoyed DOA since DOA3. But, has anyone put together a full movelist from the Demo? I know you can turn it on in the game, but its more of a burden for me to use that feature, its like locked to show the move you are doing or trying to do. Or am I overlooking an easy way to look at the movelist in the demo?

Allan Paris

I know you can turn it on in the game, but its more of a burden for me to use that feature, its like locked to show the move you are doing or trying to do. Or am I overlooking an easy way to look at the movelist in the demo?

How they have the new moves list annoys me as well. I believe you are getting what is there. No easy way, just something new to adapt to.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
There are no dumb questions, so please feel to ask away. I just ask that you be respectful towards others here and that you try and skim the thread to see if your question has already been addressed.​
OK. I'm slowly... and calmly... asking... a question.​

If you took out holds out of stun, but maintained universal offensive holds with no true sidestepping, how would that make the overall game better, much less give the characters individuality in gameplay?​

OK. I'm slowly... stepping... away... while the question... is being answered.​

Baron West

Has anyone who's been playing the DOA5 demo managed to come up with consist combos from a successful sidestep which leaves the opponent BT?

How does a successful sidestep compare to Kasumi's parry?

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Has anyone who's been playing the DOA5 demo managed to come up with consist combos from a successful sidestep which leaves the opponent BT?

How does a successful sidestep compare to Kasumi's parry?

Hitomi's sidestep kick, all though hitting high puts a good guaranteed back-turned stun. The only problem is that it is only comboable if the opponent is kicked perpindicular to a wall (so they 'run' in place, keeping hitomi close). Also it can cause a wall splat.

x Sypher x

I have a legit question this time. Tell me what you think of it.

Now, WHAT IF
1. Holds were removed from stun
AND
2. The stun system was toned down to something like this:

I've been wondering, what if the stun threshold was reduced to ONE level/stun. What I mean is, depending on the properties of the move you are using, and depending on whether you get NH CH or HCH, you are only allowed to stun your opponent ONCE. After you successfully stun your opponent your only option will (should) be to launch your opponent and juggle him and depending on the damage revision and the height of the launch, the damage output will still be fair. Or knock him into a wall or partition if you wish, otherwise any other attack you use will either cause knockback, knockdown, or reset the stun to neutral, etc. I'm going to use Jan Lee as an example to explain what I mean.

Now let's say I use his :6::K:. On NH it's only a small stun, it barely phases my opponent.

On CH it will cause a deep stun, and at this point I have a few options to launch. I can launch with :7::K:, :9::K:, :214::P:, :3::P:, :3::3::P:, or even :6::K: again and follow up with the :4::K: ender for a small juggle. Or if you wanna be cool you can free step to your opponents back and YEAH you know what's next.

On HCH it will cause a small launch and I can follow up with either the :4::K: ender or :6::P::K:

Now let's try his :6::P:

NH does nothing

CH will cause a deep stun > LAUNCH

HCH will cause a deeper stun > LAUNCH

So basically, NH = nothing (unless NH launcher or stun). CH = medium launch, HCH = HIGH LAUNCH

Now these three scenarios are generally for attacks that cause deeper stuns. In the case of lighter stuns (jabs for example) however, the stun threshold can extend once more, 2x max depending on the move properties. Here's an example using Jan Lee's :P::P::6::P:

On NH it obviously doesn't do much.

On CH and/or HCH, the 1st 2 punches will stun and the 3rd punch will grant a small launch like it used to in DOA2 and 3. Obviously you will have to follow up with a juggle, preferably :P::P::P::P: for maximum damage.

Now just in case you're not following my logic here, this is basically what I mean in a nutshell. I honestly believe there is no reason to further extend the threshold more than it needs to be. I do not see the logic behind, "oh fuck i got stunned, oh FUCK i got stunned again, WTF stop stunning me!" It's too long, keep it short and simple. The purpose of a stun is to grant you advantage over your opponent as a reward for making a good read, pressuring your opponent well, whatever. And it is up to the attacker to either pick up that advantage or drop it, unless the defender manages to SE fast enough. And this is basically what happens in VF. If you get stunned REALLY good you know your ass is about to get punished with a juggle, and DOA should do the same thing. I think it would help properly balance the triangle system IMO.

Strikes will become a more powerful/viable form of punishment without the fear of all the 50/50 bullshit in stun. Reward will replace risk.
Throws will have less emphasis but will still be good for punishing unsafe attacks, incorrect reads, and of course blocking.
Holds will be reduced to more educated guessing, forcing you to make proper reads instead of relying on luck. (If you look at VF you'll notice reversals are rarely used)

Now just to be clear, the scenarios I gave above are merely examples. Obviously it won't work the same way in every situation because there are many different stun types and all moves have their own properties. But I think the 2 suggestions I mentioned above can work pretty well together if done properly. What do you think? ;)

Baron West

Hitomi's sidestep kick, all though hitting high puts a good guaranteed back-turned stun. The only problem is that it is only comboable if the opponent is kicked perpindicular to a wall (so they 'run' in place, keeping hitomi close). Also it can cause a wall splat.

Are back throws guaranteed after a successful SS?

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
back throws will not connect if an opponent is in critical state, initial hit frames of an attack, or active hit frames of an attack.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
If you took out holds out of stun, but maintained universal offensive holds with no true sidestepping, how would that make the overall game better, much less give the characters individuality in gameplay?
This is more of an opinion piece but I don't know that what you said would give the characters more originality. The game would be more solid, yes, but the characters would still play mostly the same.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
Now just to be clear, the scenarios I gave above are merely examples. Obviously it won't work the same way in every situation because there are many different stun types and all moves have their own properties. But I think the 2 suggestions I mentioned above can work pretty well together if done properly. What do you think? ;)
What you're suggesting here is basically what many of us are arguing for in other parts of the forum. DOA1 works this way, once you're stunned your opponent goes for a juggle. DOA++ added a fair more stuns and allowed you to hold from stun but it was really convoluted and not quite as easy as in later games.

RoboJoe

Quick question, how many frames per second does DOA display at. I know some games are 30, some 60, but I can't tell just by looking at the game. Also, are there any guides for Jann-Lee for DOA3.0 or just DOA in general? I want to get in the groove with Jann-Lee before DOA5 releases and DOA3 seems closest to DOA5 in gameplay.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD