DOA Q&A

Brute

Standard Donor
I have a question. What does "R1F" mean? I do not remember this term being used in vanilla DOA5 at all, and I've seen people using this term in DOA5U.
Round 1 Fight. So the start of the first match against your opponent.

Brute

Standard Donor
Yeah, it's probably a typo that is meant to read "WRH+K" which is to say :3_::5::H+K: (Hayabusa's helicopter kicks).

Other variants may include WR4K (the handstand, :3_::5::4::K:) or, for Leon, simply WRK (:3_::5::K:)

Bdiamond

I have some questions.

How do I maneuver quickly in actual matches? I feel like I approach my opponents a bit slow. Does this game have any type of special dashes?

What are some good ways to deal with grappling pressure?

Are powermoves/power launches practical? Or should I stick to regular combos even when my HP is red?

Brute

Standard Donor
Double-tap 6 to do a quick dash forward.
Double-tap 4 to do a quick dash backward.
Double-tap 3 to do a quick crouch-dash forward.
Tap 6 twice and then hold down on 6 to sprint forward.

There are two ways to approach grapplers. If they are using throws, then you should strike more, as you cannot be thrown when performing a strike.
If they are using Offensive Holds (special "throws" that go through strikes) then you can use a normal throw yourself, as throws beat OHs.
Keep in mind that standing throws cannot grab an opponent who is ducking, so you can also duck to avoid most throws and OHs (though this will leave you open to crouching throws and crouching OHs, should they choose to use those).

Power Launchers will launch the opponent high enough that your most damaging juggles will be possible from them (and they also deal more raw damage than your average launch). But, the difficulty in executing these combos varies greatly from character to character. So bottom line: If you can reliably do your high-damage Power Launcher combo, do it. If your execution skills are not good enough, stick with your BnB combos.
Power Blows can be more or less efficient than your character's max damage juggles, depending on the weight class of your opponent, the environment, the juggle potential of your character, etc. In general, they are pretty useful, however.

Bdiamond

In the other fighting games I play I'm fond of characters with really good range pokes, something similar to a Chun-LI (SF series) or a Nightmare (SC series)

Which DoA5U characters fit this criteria?

Do the level of critical stuns change how quickly a hold can be performed?

Brute

Standard Donor
In the other fighting games I play I'm fond of characters with really good range pokes, something similar to a Chun-LI (SF series) or a Nightmare (SC series)

Which DoA5U characters fit this criteria?
Jann Lee and Ein

Do the level of critical stuns change how quickly a hold can be performed?
Lift stuns delay holds slightly. I believe gut stuns do as well.
Can't hold at all during feint stuns, sit-down stuns or limbo stuns.

Dark_Ky

which games in the DOA series are considered the best and the worst by the competitive community? which game had a "golden age" (like TTT1) in which the the competitive and the casual community had its biggest success? i am guessing that this accured with DOA5?

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Golden Age? Depends on your definition.

The community's competitive golden age (not counting current DOA5 since that's been our most successful. ever.) was probably DOA2U/DOA3.1 era. Thats when the community really started forming.

If I had to do a personal ranking on competitive viability, and it's always going to be subjective:
  1. DOA5
  2. DOA3
  3. DOA2
  4. DOA++
  5. DOA4
  6. DOA
Now DOA4 had a lot of things going for why it could be considered "Golden Age" as it was a forerunner in a bunch of e-sports push. However, if you were talking in terms of what the community felt was a competitive game as a whole, I think you'd find it drop a few pegs.

Brute

Standard Donor
Hi everyone. I've seen people talking about moves that look like this: 12i or 9i. What do they mean exactly?
Those are the initial frames on an attack. So basically the game "moves" through a sequence of stills called "frames." There are 60 frames per second in this game. So, if something takes 30 frames to execute, it takes half of one second.

So, an attack has three basic frame properties: Initial frames, Active frames, Recovery frames

Initial frames (also called "iframes") are the frames required before the move becomes active. The less of these there are, the faster a move comes out.
Active frames begin immediately after the initial frames, and are the number of subsequent frames where the attack can actually hit someone or "connect."
Recovery frames are the frames that must follow the active frames, and are required to expire before another input can begin.

They are often read like 9 (2) 10
Initial
Active
Recovery

So, the fewer "iframes" the faster an attack is, basically.

Last edited:

Brute

Standard Donor
How do I know if a move or combo is guaranteed?
Try it on the opponent in the Free Training mode. Make sure to set stagger escape to "Fastest" and set the "Com Reaction" to be the corresponding action you want to test whether it can be performed to break a combo. Ex: "Standing Block" to test guarantees from sitdown stuns and the like, "High Hold" two test whether PP is a natural combo, etc.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD