DOA Q&A

Neclord

Another question, might be a dumb one but:

How do you deal with constant pressure? Like if I use a slow character like Rachel and a faster character is hitting me all the time with constant jabs and kicks. How do I block/escape? lol.

Raansu

What's the frame data for holds across DoA since 2?

I'm unsure for doa1/++. You'd have to ask Mr. Wah that one. 2-4 was 0/22/8. 5 is 0/18/12. Its been changed a few times but I haven't kept up with the patches as I didn't play ultimate but currently its 0/18/12 in neutral and 0/18/17 when countering out of stun for high/mid holds and 0/18/22 for low holds out of stun.

can someone Describe the differences in the Free step system from DOA 2-5

The original doa2 required an input to step to the side, thus the term free step. Since then its varied its movement a bit and has always been based on tracking/non-tracking with 3.1 have least strict stepping. DoA4 had probably some of the slowest stepping in the franchise with (imo) 5 being in between 2 and 3's stepping. Aside from that its overall functioned the same.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I'm unsure for doa1/++. You'd have to ask Mr. Wah that one. 2-4 was 0/22/8. 5 is 0/18/12. Its been changed a few times but I haven't kept up with the patches as I didn't play ultimate but currently its 0/18/12 in neutral and 0/18/17 when countering out of stun for high/mid holds and 0/18/22 for low holds out of stun.

DOA1 - DOA4 was all 0(22)8 for high/mid holds, and 0(22)5 for low holds.

DOA5 was the first one to actually change the hold frame data.

chuankaimah

How do I break free from an opponent's pressure/string? Especially when I playing against AI. I can only win if I pressure the shit out of the AI. But once he gets on me I can't do anything.
Also, in the tutorial they teach you how to launch and juggle after critical stun (under critical 3). But the thing is I can never meet the final timing for the final combo. Any advice?

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
DOA1 - DOA4 was all 0(22)8 for high/mid holds, and 0(22)5 for low holds.

DOA5 was the first one to actually change the hold frame data.
Which is still one of the best decisions TN's made since DOA3.

How do I break free from an opponent's pressure/string? Especially when I playing against AI. I can only win if I pressure the shit out of the AI. But once he gets on me I can't do anything.
Also, in the tutorial they teach you how to launch and juggle after critical stun (under critical 3). But the thing is I can never meet the final timing for the final combo. Any advice?
General advice for your first question is to stop pressing buttons. Get a feeling of what's safe/unsafe and what you can use as frame traps/string delays. It comes down to knowing your character and having a decent idea of the match up you're against.

Try to get used to buffering moves during recovery. General input for this game is lenient so just mess around with different buffer timings. Most moves don't have too much recovery, so you can buffer another move while you're recovering.

Sotherius

Question about Combo throws and teching combo throws in DOA5LR.

Ok, so the tutorial explains, that to do the followup of a combo throw or hold, you need to press the right input when the message "combo throw" appears., and that to escape a combo throw, you need to press throw at the momment that same message appears. So, those are my questions.

Are you able to escape all combo throws?

Is there a way for the person that is doing the throw to always guarantee that he will get everything?

Is there a way for the person that is getting thrown to guarantee an escape?

And last, if both players do the right thing when the message appears, what defines who gets what?

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
Question about Combo throws and teching combo throws in DOA5LR.

Ok, so the tutorial explains, that to do the followup of a combo throw or hold, you need to press the right input when the message "combo throw" appears., and that to escape a combo throw, you need to press throw at the momment that same message appears. So, those are my questions.

Are you able to escape all combo throws?

Is there a way for the person that is doing the throw to always guarantee that he will get everything?

Is there a way for the person that is getting thrown to guarantee an escape?

And last, if both players do the right thing when the message appears, what defines who gets what?

you can only escape combo throws that still have your character on the ground. Hayabusa's Izuna for example is inescapable.

if the attacker and defender do a just frame-input at the same time the attacker wins. so you can guarantee a successful throw, but you can't guarantee escaping a throw.

Sotherius

you can only escape combo throws that still have your character on the ground. Hayabusa's Izuna for example is inescapable.

if the attacker and defender do a just frame-input at the same time the attacker wins. so you can guarantee a successful throw, but you can't guarantee escaping a throw.
So, considering that someone that plays Tina, or Bass, or Bayman, will always guarantee a combo throw if they do the input in the first frame? And it basically means whoever does the input first then?

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
So, considering that someone that plays Tina, or Bass, or Bayman, will always guarantee a combo throw if they do the input in the first frame? And it basically means whoever does the input first then?

yes, but that's easier said than don especially online. that said be careful when even when you DO break out of some throws as a lot of times they're letting you out just just get the frame advantage and they'll hit you counter hit if you press buttons.

WAZAAAAA

yes, but that's easier said than don especially online.
No it's the opposite, if both input the followup on the same frame, the defender wins and the throw will break.
www.freestepdodge.com/threads/timing-of-combo-throws.6168/

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
No it's the opposite, if both input the followup on the same frame, the defender wins and the throw will break.
www.freestepdodge.com/threads/timing-of-combo-throws.6168/

Wait when the fuck did that happen?! I remmeber everyone saying that the attacker had advantage even the announcers still to this day keep saying Rikuto's throws will only break if he lets you.

Well fuck me then. I have zero to contribute to this game that isn't bad advice im just going to stop even trying.

WAZAAAAA

Wait when the fuck did that happen?! I remmeber everyone saying that the attacker had advantage even the announcers still to this day keep saying Rikuto's throws will only break if he lets you.

Well fuck me then. I have zero to contribute to this game that isn't bad advice im just going to stop even trying.
You don't have to take my word for it, test it and judge by yourself, because you know, the reason that "myth" has spread so much is probably because so many people parroted the same thing without verifying it. TRUST NO ONE.

Elric of Grans

Until recently, I had always avoided Dead or Alive due to its reputation, but often heard supporters try (unsuccessfuly) to argue that there was a solid game here. I saw Dead or Alive 5 Last Round out cheap, however, and decided to see if it really did have a good game underneath its creepy surface. I was pleased to discover that there may be a whole lot more than I could have ever expected! I used to play 3D fighters a bit, but am many years out of practice now. I mostly played SoulCalibur, back when it was good, with a little Virtua Fighter. I tried Tekken 5 or 6, but hated it. I am almost back to square one, really.

I wanted to see if they approach I am taking to Dead of Alive is a good starting point. I did the tutorials as far as the second test, so I knew the game's fundamental systems. I then went into command training try try and learn the logic behind the move lists. Compared to SoulCalibur, the move lists have proven less intuitive than anticipated, so I may come back to that later ;) I have now begun Story Mode (only a few characters in so far). I expect it will only be dumb button-mashing to complete, but I figure it would be a good way to get a basic idea of how each character functions and (hopefully) reinforce those fundamentals. I so far keep forgetting to use Holds when stunned >_< Is this a good idea, or should I change my approach to learning the game?

At a very basic level (for a complete beginner), what are the kinds of play-styles that different characters in Dead or Alive tend to support? Since I am largely coming in blind here, I have no real idea what to expect from the cast or how their designs distinguish themselves.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Until recently, I had always avoided Dead or Alive due to its reputation, but often heard supporters try (unsuccessfuly) to argue that there was a solid game here. I saw Dead or Alive 5 Last Round out cheap, however, and decided to see if it really did have a good game underneath its creepy surface. I was pleased to discover that there may be a whole lot more than I could have ever expected! I used to play 3D fighters a bit, but am many years out of practice now. I mostly played SoulCalibur, back when it was good, with a little Virtua Fighter. I tried Tekken 5 or 6, but hated it. I am almost back to square one, really.

I wanted to see if they approach I am taking to Dead of Alive is a good starting point. I did the tutorials as far as the second test, so I knew the game's fundamental systems. I then went into command training try try and learn the logic behind the move lists. Compared to SoulCalibur, the move lists have proven less intuitive than anticipated, so I may come back to that later ;) I have now begun Story Mode (only a few characters in so far). I expect it will only be dumb button-mashing to complete, but I figure it would be a good way to get a basic idea of how each character functions and (hopefully) reinforce those fundamentals. I so far keep forgetting to use Holds when stunned >_< Is this a good idea, or should I change my approach to learning the game?

At a very basic level (for a complete beginner), what are the kinds of play-styles that different characters in Dead or Alive tend to support? Since I am largely coming in blind here, I have no real idea what to expect from the cast or how their designs distinguish themselves.
First off I just wanna say that DOA is far from cheap. Unlike other games, DOA has the hold mechanic as a way for players to easily stop attacks they see coming, as well as a way to escape potential juggle damage in stuns which DOA is very heavy on. The hold system also is not cheap, if you hold at random and just panic hold, you'll eat a hi counter throw which I love, it's basically a risk factor that teaches players to hold on read rather than as a means to escape. Tekken doesn't have this, only a handful of characters like Jin and Lili have a reversal/parry but you can only use them on read. Soul Calibur used to have a similar system to DOA in SC4 but they made it too easy and had it limited by meter which I felt was unneeded.

As for play styles I can kinda distinguish characters I use from my perspective of how I view them:
:kasumi:~offensive character who is very fast, versatile and very good at close quarters and can be OK at slight mid range. Weak and unsafe which encourages players to not mash and play carefully and cautious.
:phase4:~Basically a stronger Kasumi, but has slower neutral and far less versatile. Her damage output however is superior and her unpredictability really shines when she gets a stun. She can be played from a distance as well for counter hits.
:naotora:~Skillgate character whom comes off as rushdown but is actually a zoner/spacer. Good damage, range, and can actually be unpredictable if you mix up correctly, otherwise she's very easy to shut down. More dominant at a distance and can only JUST be decent at close quarters because of her 11i kick and 12i mid kick.
:mai:~Can do it all, rush down, zone, has good damage, speed and is relatively safe as well as versatile. Very good for beginners and makes you look good while basically doing nothing. XD
:marierose:~Basically a Leifang without defensive holds like 3H and 9H. Fairly easy to use and has a sabaki, special sidestep, and a stance which are all pretty easy to utilize. weak and average in speed but has some deadly holds and decent throws and OH. Pretty annoying to deal with and can be that bitch.
:eliot:~The spear/poker. Pretty linear and a bit slow but plays mean mind games and has some dirty juggle potential. Can be a threat if you play carefully.
:ein:~Easy to use but difficult to master. He's basically zoner/spacer and has a simple but limited moveset, you gotta know what you're doing with him or he can get shut down fast. Was way more effective in older games.

And don't be turned off by the fanservice, all games do it, DOA is just blunt about it and focuses more on the women although they've gotten better. SC4 was just as bad in that regard, and Tekken is getting there, and SFV has already pushed the boundary, although SJWs got some stuff removed like Juri's absolute cleavage and Cammy's nipple bumps and R. Mika's hot ass slap. It's because they're more mainstream games that players act oblivious to the sex appeal and pandering.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD