We are Fighters

[DOA2++] Moveset Editing Project

Discussion in 'Dead or Alive 2 Discussion' started by usagiZ, Nov 2, 2013.

1. grap3fruitman

grap3fruitman Well-Known Member
    Standard Donor

That's just the camera mode and those red boxes are focus points like you'd find on an SLR camera. Nothing to do with the hitboxes.

[​IMG]

WAZAAAAA and usagiZ like this.
  2. WAZAAAAA

WAZAAAAA Well-Known Member

ayy lmao Rikuto lied to the people
    but the full body hitbox thing is still interesting

3. usagiZ

usagiZ Active Member

Main Character:
    Kasumi α
    This looks promising ++
    I'm glad you were able to test out the moveset~

I made a backup of the blender exporter tool a while ago (I didn't make this tool)
    This one lets you export your blender model to xpr format.
    You can install this by extracting all the files to the addon folder [Blender > (version number) > scripts > addons]
    [​IMG]
    Then open blender, go to File, User Preferences, Add-ons and find it on the list, and tick the box.
    [​IMG]
    If it's not there try refreshing - you can also choose install from file and find the io_export_doau_xpr.py file included in the download.
    [​IMG]

Making new stages with it is possible, but I've mainly used it to give costume edits that extra something:
    (only works with doa2u at the moment, and sometimes has uv mapping errors - especially with oddly placed triangles in the mesh)
    [​IMG]
    hat and broom are custom objects
    -------------
    [​IMG]
    swords on her legs were custom models
    -----------
    [​IMG]
    scarf / head cover
    ------------
    [​IMG]
    backpack, wires, and helmet
    ------------
    [​IMG]
    the giant pumpkin head, obviously lol
    [​IMG]
    animated texture for the face (similar method as zack's alien costume)

I had a quick look at the stages wall data and didn't figure anything out at first glance, but you can delete all the data in the stage.bin and it will still work, but without wall / floor height detection.
    Hopefully stage wall data can be figured out soon -- that, paired with the blender exporter, could make custom stages fully playable.

I'm not too sure about how the hitboxes work exactly, but the values after the 21 00 change which hitbox is active.

21 00 00 00 I haven't gotten to connect, except when used on hold animations
    21 00 01 00 is for all-body hitbox
    21 00 02 00 is one of the hands, I think
    21 00 03 00 is the other hand - etc etc

(the 21 00 and the other value don't necessarily have to be right next to each other like that, iirc, as long as the 21 00 is before the other value)

It could be that the hurtboxes = hitboxes, but there's a few special hitbox values that make me unsure of that, and each character seems to have their own special hitbox list.
    Tengu for instance has wing hitboxes, so you could presumably give tengu a move where he hits you with his wings - but I don't think Tengu's wings have hurtboxes.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    WAZAAAAA and Mark Of Blades like this.
  4. Mr. Wah

Mr. Wah Owner
    Staff Member Administrator

Main Character:
    Bass
    Gamertag:
    Sorwah
    PSN ID:
    Sorwah
    Steam:
    Sorwah
    Woah, CXBX works with 2U Now!? How about 3? does it still play at like 1/8th speed and have controller input locked to specific keys?

The way the systems work is hitboxes are associated to the location of the bone (for animation). The question is really if the hitbox (hitsphere) is different from the hurtbox before it. The system plays animations, and it just turns a hurtbox into a hitbox at specific frames. You're getting values different per character because each character may have different bones than another, for example wings on Tengu, Ayane's bandana, Coats, etc.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    WAZAAAAA and usagiZ like this.
  5. dee4doa

dee4doa Member

Found the Tag Battle Mode stage values! (You can swap the values for single multi-layered stages!) Though, it crashes if you swap characters when you knock someone down to the lower section (during the cutscene) I've made a tutorial on the modding thread I made :)
    upload_2018-4-26_16-42-50.png

6. usagiZ

usagiZ Active Member

Main Character:
    Kasumi α
    Some more findings!
    Feel free to add this to your thread @dee4doa
    [​IMG]
    The highlighted section controls the random encounters you get during story mode. I was able to change some values to get cutscene characters to show up.
    Here's the section that controls which files the character slots load:
    [​IMG]
    Playable characters seem to have three entries in this format:
    [AA 00 AB 00] [AA 00 AC 00] [AA 00 AD 00]

The first part of each seems to be the bin file (AA 00), the second part seems to be the mot file (AB 00).
    Playable characters have three entries to accommodate the three mot files they have (character.mot, m_character.mot, c_character.mot)

Cutscene characters usually have one or two entries, and the values are repeated - because they only have character.bin and m_character.mot. [AA 00 AB 00] [AA 00 AB 00]

4 = Zack
    8 = Tina
    C = Jann Lee
    10 = Ein
    14 = Hayabusa
    18 = Kasumi
    1C = Genfu
    20 = Helena?
    24 = Leon
    28 = Bass
    2C = Maria - Helena's Mom (can replace files)
    --
    2E = Leifang
    32 = Ayane
    36 = Young Bass (can replace files)
    --
    38 = Loran/Lauren/ (can replace files)
    3A = Tengu
    3E = Young Tina
    --
    --
    40 = Hitomi
    --
    44 = Prairie Dog
    46 = Bayman
    --
    --
    --
    With all of the above info, I was able to get Maria and Loran (Lauren?) to appear as random encounters in story mode:
    I replaced Maria and Lauren's files with movesets to see if they would work as playable characters.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can throw them and they can throw you, but their hurtboxes don't react to strikes, and you can walk through them completely. (Maybe they don't even have hurtboxes? Not sure.) The camera sometimes freaks out when either of you gets thrown.

Their character portraits were Kasumi for some reason.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    grap3fruitman and dee4doa like this.
  7. Radiance

Radiance Well-Known Member

Main Character:
    Phase 4
    Gamertag:
    Julius Monroe
    PSN ID:
    FNC_Savior
    have you ever manipulated frame data for DOA:O? I know you've made changes suchas adding moves or properties.

grap3fruitman likes this.
  8. usagiZ

usagiZ Active Member

Main Character:
    Kasumi α
    Yes, I made a post about frame data before here.

The relevant information is under the "OFFSET 3: Property Table" spoiler~
    --But basically, the move properties also contain on-hit and on-block frame advantage info.

I've been changing some frame data for certain attacks like giving characters the advantage that a guard break would.
    Ideally, I'd rather it be true guard break or true guard crush, but there's limits to what I can accomplish with the movesets currently.

grap3fruitman likes this.
  9. WAZAAAAA

Can you outright remove jumps and replace them with free stepping like they did in DOA5? That was literally the best change in DOA5 and the movement felt so much better. Let's be real most of the DOA jumps are accidental, it's a clunky and unnecessarily tight mechanic, jumping over lows BARELY EVER WORKS, and the only good jump attack worth using in the entire game was Tengu 9P+K anyway (which could be added as a string to 9P maybe so it doesn't become unused).

minor Hayabusa moveset change suggestion:
    Throws can beat the first startup frames of Hayabusa 236P and 4P+K for some reason. This is the case for DOAO and most likely DOA2U... it's pretty random and it shouldn't be like that lol

Forlorn Penguin and usagiZ like this.
  10. usagiZ

usagiZ Active Member

Main Character:
    Kasumi α
    I'll try looking into this too. I agree that jump attacks don't really have much use as they are currently.
    That's a good suggestion for Tengu - (I actually did this in a previous build)

I still haven't been able to figure out the hi-counter while back dashing :/

Yeah, there's quite a few attacks with that issue - Probably developer oversight - the attacks aren't coded in a noticably different way that would cause that, but it still happens.
    This is an easy fix though, adding [1F 00 04 00] at the start and [1F 00 00 00] after the end of the active frames of the attacks fixes this -- to disable, and then re-enable being thrown.

-Quick Update-
    OFFSET 21 (at 0x4C in the character.bin) is hitbox data: I've been able to make some custom hitboxes to use with specific moves
    This section is why characters have their own specific hitboxes.
    [​IMG]
    Following this leads to another table of pointers (4 bytes each):
    [​IMG]
    These each lead to the character's specific hitbox data
    [​IMG]
    The first hitbox (hitbox 0 or [21 00 00 00] in the anim-def) is a null hitbox (FF) for all characters
    The second hitbox (hitbox 1 or [21 00 01 00] ) is a full body hitbox - all characters
    Third (hitbox 2 or [21 00 02 00] is right punch hitbox
    The basic coding for a hitbox/hitsphere is: [AA BB CC] [FF]
    AA = bone
    BB = constant (always 01 -- I haven't seen or tested any other values here)
    CC = size (I think)
    FF = terminate (All hitboxes terminate with FF)

Hitboxes usually have mutlitple bones active, as you can see in the examples from the image.

0 chest
    1 head
    2 root/pelvis
    3 left foot
    4 left forearm
    5 left palm
    6 left thigh
    7 left shin
    8 left bicep
    9 right foot
    A right forearm
    B right palm
    C right thigh
    D right shin
    E right bicep

80 left wrist
    81 right wrist

11 left eye
    13 doa3 left wrist
    14 doa3 right wrist
    15 right eye

-joints-
    (2)6 left hip / upper leg
    (2)7 right hip / upper leg
    (2)8 left knee
    (2)9 right knee

Each character has a different amount of hitboxes specific to their movesets

If you follow one of the pointers, it takes you to that specific hitbox.

Since we're on the topic of Hayabusa, I gave :8::K: a custom hitbox to mimic its juggle-finisher behavior from DOA4.
    I wanted to add some handstand stuff from DOA4, specifically the frontflip punch (ws :4::K::P: or :214::P:)
    [​IMG]
    So I mapped the frontflip punch to handstand :p+k:, and remapped the original hs :p+k: to hs :6::f+k:
    The HS :f+k: low kick was unchanged.

The new hs :p+k: and the standing version :214::P: are both proper low crushes for the startup in-air frames.

I haven't added the teleports or the taunt-stance from DOA4 - and probably won't tbh bc of the size limit and other issues.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    Gultigargar and KasumiLover69 like this.
  11. Mr. Wah

Mr. Wah Owner
    Staff Member Administrator

Main Character:
    Bass
    Gamertag:
    Sorwah
    PSN ID:
    Sorwah
    Steam:
    Sorwah
    This is probably a fail safe in the system to where if it can't find the location of the character's portrait then it defaults to Kasumi.

Seems like an interesting find, would be nice to see if we can add code to implement other (newer) characters from DOA5 into the game. Presumably if the mesh is edited down to the max poly count.

12. usagiZ

usagiZ Active Member

Main Character:
    Kasumi α
    With the blender export tool that I mention in this post you can essentially add in any pieces of any model that you want (with the help of XprExpBuild )
    ^ I can make a tutorial for this if anyone's interested. It's pretty involved, so it'll take a while to put one together.

It's possible to make a costume using parts from the updated models from DOA5 (like plopping one of the newer models heads onto the older bodies)

One problem with that is the original xbox doesn't seem to handle dxt5 transparent textures very well so a lot of overlapping transparent textures (like the ones in the newer models' hair) has a terrible result in-game.
    As you can see, the transparent hair textures have this invisibility issue because there's a limit on how many transparent textures you can see through.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ^ This stage was ported using the blender export tool, too
    Bass doesn't look too bad here, I guess the tester won the transparency layer lottery with that import
    The only way around that would be to make them all dxt1 transparent textures instead of dxt5, which would result in a loss of quality, but would fix some of the issues. (I did this to make the hair for my Niki costume)

The new heads would also have no animation, so no blinking, mouth movement, or hair physics.

--also I updated my previous post about offset 21-

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    KasumiLover69 likes this.
  13. WAZAAAAA

I know my ideas are getting more and more unachievable by the day lol but I'm gonna post this anyway:

I never liked how the camera in DOA2U (and DOA3 and DOA4...) "smoothly" transitions from P1 to the center after the second character intro plays. You can't see what P2 is doing during half of the "GET READY - FIGHT" sequence.
    This has indeed been corrected in DOA5 by making the camera reset at the center of both players immediately... and I just realized that DOA2U does the same but only when played in Tag! (second 6 http://video.kikizo.com/games/deadoraliveultimate_dfgameplay/kikizo_doau_df_10.wmv). It would be neat to make the Solo camera behave like Tag.

Forlorn Penguin likes this.