DOA3++ Balance/Gameplay Mod

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I've been messing with inputs lately, so this update has a few changes concerning inputs. First off, Hayate's cartwheel is still replaced by 88K/22K, but previously I had implemented that by replacing its animation, which was somewhat buggy and often made him whiff. Now I've changed the game to "read" 8P+K and 2P+K as valid inputs for 88K and 22K, meaning its no longer buggy and performs exactly the same as if you were to use 88K/22K.

Great to hear. I had the same setup a few years ago where I replaced the animation but something in the FSD system was causing it to still go kilter like it had the FSD of the cartwheel with the animation of 88K. Glad to hear you actually fixed that as I wasn't able to figure out the reason.

Cla

Standard Donor
Is this what people are calling DOA3.2? I've heard 3.2 mentioned a couple of times on these boards yet I don't remember there ever officially being a 3.2.

UpSideDownGRUNT

Is this what people are calling DOA3.2? I've heard 3.2 mentioned a couple of times on these boards yet I don't remember there ever officially being a 3.2.
3.2 is the PAL region version of the game(e.g. UK, EU, AUS etc.), this is a fanmade balance mod made by Gultigargar here

Cla

Standard Donor
But I thought the PAL region was 3.1? Or maybe it was something like 3.0 is US, 3.1 is JP, and 3.2 is EU?

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
Are all of the unaltered aspects of this mod identical to those of 3.1 or 3.2? I'm assuming 3.1 for obvious reasons, but it's not specifically stated anywhere.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
I hate to be that guy who has to ask a question that's probably really dumb, but how exactly do I add the following three files to 3.1's loadfile.afs?

DeadOrAlive3++
DeadOrAlive3++Shadow
sprite#03

I was able to overwrite all the original character .bin files with the new ones, but I can't seem to figure out how to add a brand new file without it having to overwrite something.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Have to use the 3d texture injector for doa3 to replace and overwrite that logo.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
Have to use the 3d texture injector for doa3 to replace and overwrite that logo.

Okay, got it.

Just to be sure I did it right, the only DOA3 logo that can be replaced with the included DOA3++ logo is the one in "sprite#01.xpr", which is the logo that appears at the "Press Start Button" screen, correct? Because that (and the sprite#03 image) is the only one that I could get to change.

Last edited:

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Yeah, sadly I haven't been able to redo the import process for the smaller DOA3 logo (Which appears during watch mode). Maybe Guitigargar could figure it out again.

Gultigargar

I've updated the .rar file with the smaller logo added, and the image files renamed to hopefully be easier to figure which files should be replaced.

@Mr. Wah The logos use the "palette ARGB 8 bpp | 256 colors + alpha" compression type. I think you have to have an alpha layer with everything you want included, or it'll just save as a black image.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
Cool, though there are some issues now in the updated .rar file. Unless I was just somehow looking at some of them wrong.

1. The copy of the sprite#03 image is now an older one that lists the version of the game as "v1.00" whereas before it was a newer one that said "v1.01"
2. The title screen logo image that is supposed to go in sprite#01_012-P8s-1 seems to now be the shadow image that's supposed to go in sprite#01_013-P8s-1 instead, with the shadow image for sprite#01_013-P8s-1 now appearing to be a plain black image.

I still had the images from the previous .rar pack though, so I was able to fix this.

On another note, it's also worth mentioning that the new, smaller logo images "sprite#01_008-P8s-1" and "sprite#01_009-P8s-1" that will appear in the demo mode when the game idles at the title screen can also be applied in the sprite#04 section as "005-P8s-1" and "006-P8s-1" respectively, so that they also appear when you set bots to fight each other in the watch mode.

Last edited:

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
I'm assuming the answer is no, as it'd probably be impossible or way too time consuming, but I gotta ask. Do you think it'd be possible at all to get Tengu in here by somehow importing his 2U data? Either by using it to complete the tengu.bin data that already exists, making a new one for him, or even replacing another character (perhaps Brad)? Maybe as an alternate version of DOA3++ in the case of the latter option.

Obviously he'd need to be rebalanced and changed in various other ways to play more like a DOA3 character, but like @Gultigargar said on the first page, I'd love to play him in DOA3.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
I thought Tengu.bin (and the other Tengu files) are his PS2 DOA2H iterations and they worked with file swapping - he's just missing a model and character slot. That's my understanding, but I could be wrong. Perhaps someone with more technical knowledge can look into it a bit more. I'm no where savvy as I'd like to be, to this day. Fun fact, swapping DOA2U files into the several year older DOA3 engine (1 2 3) gives you a bunch of glitchy (but interesting) issues; I feel completing the existing code would probably be easier than porting over 2U's data. Either scenario's a pipedream at this point unless someone wants to prove me wrong.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
I thought Tengu.bin (and the other Tengu files) are his PS2 DOA2H iterations and they worked with file swapping - he's just missing a model and character slot. That's my understanding, but I could be wrong.

As in you could basically apply an existing character model (like Bass, for example) to it and essentially play as Tengu, just without the right model? That would be a start. I have no idea if at least his character models could be imported from 2U (or even 2H) though, nor do I have any idea if it'd be possible to put him on the character select screen.

Another thing would be audio. Do we know if his DOA2H voice files are in the game? And if they aren't, is it possible to add voice files to the game and assign them to different attacks? I do have all of his DOA2U voice clips, as well as most of his DOA4 ones.

Either scenario's a pipedream at this point unless someone wants to prove me wrong.

Hopefully someone can.

Gultigargar

Making Tengu playable is something that I know for certain is beyond my skills, but I can give you a look into what is actually there in the game:

His behavior reminds me a lot of how DOA3 character data acts when imported into DOA2U, so I'm guessing they just straight up copy and pasted his DOA2 data over and never actually properly converted it.

His inputs aren't set up properly, so you can't really do anything while playing as him. However, since the CPU doesn't actually use inputs, a CPU controlled Tengu can access some of his moves.

Regarding DOA2U models, I know one guy converted some DOA3 models to be usable in DOA2U/DOA Online, so I guess it might be possible to also go the other way. Would be cool, I know there are certainly a couple of DOA2U costumes that I'd like to see in DOA3.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD