DOA5 and Sexualization: Too Much?

Has Team Ninja gone too far with DOA5 in regards to sexualization?

• Yes, completely. They really need to back off.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • Well, borderline. They should be careful.

Votes: 42 24.0%
  • I dunno. Whatever.

Votes: 18 10.3%
  • Not really, no. They're good at the rate they're going.

Votes: 36 20.6%
  • Not far enough, I say! Full speed ahead!!!

Votes: 20 11.4%

• Total voters

Xhominid The Demon Within

Going back to a point I made earlier, do any of SK's trailers even hint at this dark storyline or entice passers-by to want to find out more about the world or are they all just supercuts of clothes falling off and boob jiggling? (Not in the mood to fuck up my YouTube suggestions at the moment but maybe I will be later. lol)

I knew you was going to be the first to quote me back and again, I feel that you completely missed exactly what I was saying from the start to randomly toss this out...AGAIN.
Is the dark storyline tossed out alot? No it's not since it's pretty damn grimdark and the creator has NEVER been about that even from the word go for how he wanted his game to be seen. I don't see how that diffuses my point AT ALL when my entire point was trying to dismiss Senran Kagura the exact same way people dismiss Dead or Alive and completely missing the irony.

There is the adage "Don't judge a book by its cover." But, if you're also responsible for the covers of your book as well as the content, then you still have to face the music eventually. No one's going to Wiki the individual endings to the game. You can't bank on someone trying to dig underneath 2 or 3 layers of smut to get to the serious commentary you may or may not be hiding. It may very well be srs bzns 50%+ of the time, but are they giving people any reason to believe so?

If you want to actually talk about the game and not look like a pretentious ass...yeah, people expect you to actually do your damn research.
I don't even know why you are talking for @Sotherius when he's the one who put his foot in his mouth about something he didn't even try to look up...while being a fan of this game, WHICH PEOPLE DO THE SAME FREAKING THING TO!

DOA at least up to DOA5 Ultimate did with most of the trailers I remember. Hell, even the LR launch trailer was pretty damn awesome. The problem is now any trailer they release is of more nonsensical costumes to buy. That's going to be what sticks in people's minds.

Did you really miss the "You Kick High"? The Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 commercials where they showed off the six-axis support...for jiggle physics? the Xtreme Beach Volleyball games in general?
I'm not actually disagreeing with you at all and do agree that it's becoming a little too out of hand but ultimately, it's something that's not getting under my skin or killing off my enjoyment of the series at all and it will obviously turn people off(people have been turned away from games like Injustice for honestly far less). But what I'm saying is do your research before talking about a game you know nothing about because it becomes very easy to make someone into a fool.

I haven't played the games, no, i got curious because ayane was in one, but then, from what i've seen they haven't made her justice at all, with dumb car flying moves and a raging mountain god that doesn't kill anyone, and making her doing submissive fanservice poses again, and, more important than that, i'm pretty demanding towards action games that i play, and the games seemed incredibly underwhelming gameplay-wise.

You can say: "oh, it is a fucked up story, just like dead or alive", and i'm still trying to convey, that it is not, it is fucked up in its own way, but it is a completely different artstyle, different type of over the top, that doesn't match the DOA series, in my opinion.

Most characters in DOA are awesome, unique, exceptional, and are really interesting on their own right, I haven't seen people saying anything even remarkable about senran kagura characters besides: "she is hot because she is a masochist" or "she is hot because she has abs" or "femjotaro looks cool".

Maybe i'm misjudging the series like i did towards DOA before getting into it, but i doubt Senran Kagura would deliver the kind of gameplay or character design/background/type that would make me change opinions like i did towards DOA.

That's still very ignorant of you considering the fact that because "They didn't represent Ayane well" means that it somehow doesn't have a dark storyline like Dead or Alive...despite if anything, there have been some oddly ridiculous endings even for DOA and strips away the dark atmosphere just as much at times.

-Ugh, I despise waking up in the morning for stuff like this. And @werewolfgold you know damn well Soul Calibur is NOT DETABALE! When you hype up a character whose sole trait is that she will always wear armor and not being sexy...in a game where the girls are at their absolute skimpiness, with a customization tool that makes it stupid easy to simply have her wear something else, including in their underwear and later down the line have a character creator in which you can give a female VOLDO'S MOVESET with zero irony whatsoever along with alot more options to tinker with... and that isn't even including the absolutely gratuitous F2P game(absolute emphasis on Pay 2 Win and Pay to even get some of the other characters, notably the females like Cassandra....ugh) which went to costume levels you would see with just the skimpiest bikini in XBV.

That shit isn't detabable and anyone who says otherwise is very delusional.

Sotherius

"They didn't represent Ayane well" means that it somehow doesn't have a dark storyline like Dead or Alive

That is not what i meant, DOA can be goofy. Like i said, i don't understand why is there a "summoning a flying car" move in her moveset, why her Raging god mountain is so goofy with a bunch of schoolgirls doing some weird action around it, in general those are my gripes, this is not doa goofy, is jut weird (and yeah, i'm aware the car flying should be a homage to scramble... still weird), i could go on to how they produced a dakimakura of her as well, or how she is portrayed in the beach game just doing: "ahhh don't shoot water at me" when her character would most likely just beat the crap of anyone who would try anything funny with her (or just kill), but doa x3 is guilty of that just as those, which is already bad enough.

Sorry if i'm coming as disrespectful towards the series (even though i'm yet to see anyone saying any really meaningful thing about its gameplay, so i'll probably have to see for myself this when i have the chance to buy it, all i've seen is people saying, is musou with transformations, and that... is cool i guess.), i just have to say, from what i've seen, it doesn't match DOA at all, in fact, it seems it takes only the fanservice side of DOA and takes to really bad extremes, while the serious side you guys talk so much is its own thing that doesn't match.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
She wasn't announced for LR so she's exclusive to the VV game for now. Maybe if she's popular enough they'll add her to DOA6 so basically they're using the VV game as a testing ground for her atm

That is not what i meant, DOA can be goofy. Like i said, i don't understand why is there a "summoning a flying car" move in her moveset, why her Raging god mountain is so goofy with a bunch of schoolgirls doing some weird action around it, in general those are my gripes, this is not doa goofy, is jut weird (and yeah, i'm aware the car flying should be a homage to scramble... still weird), i could go on to how they produced a dakimakura of her as well, or how she is portrayed in the beach game just doing: "ahhh don't shoot water at me" when her character would most likely just beat the crap of anyone who would try anything funny with her (or just kill), but doa x3 is guilty of that just as those, which is already bad enough.

You are acting as if DOAX3 is the only game where Ayane has her character changed...as if every other female's personalities aren't drastically altered in that game or that spinoff series in general...

And it's even more ironic considering Ayane had a MASSIVE shift in personality from DOA2 to 3 to the point where she was an entirely different character with no reason WHY(hell, you even link Ayane's DOA2 ending yet forget she went from wanting to slaughter Kasumi knowing she's her sister with no remorse to sparing her not even due to circumstances but just because.)

Not to mention Estival Versus has so many random things in it anyway it seems ridiculous to complain about Ayane's moveset not being 100% faithful to her as a whole.

Sorry if i'm coming as disrespectful towards the series (even though i'm yet to see anyone saying any really meaningful thing about its gameplay, so i'll probably have to see for myself this when i have the chance to buy it, all i've seen is people saying, is musou with transformations, and that... is cool i guess.), i just have to say, from what i've seen, it doesn't match DOA at all, in fact, it seems it takes only the fanservice side of DOA and takes to really bad extremes, while the serious side you guys talk so much is its own thing that doesn't match.

No one's really defending the game because it's basically a Mousou beat em up game and that's mainly if that's up to you about that. And of course it's not going to match DOA beat for beat because in the end, they are still 2 completely different series with the same grassroots and that's honestly fine.

But it's funny you mention the latter part and still don't understand that it can be applied to DOA(and to be frank, it still applies to ALOT of fighting games...still will never get over Ed Boon trying to say toning down the sexualization was because MK was ALWAYS striving for realism...in FUCKING MORTAL KOMBAT!)

werewolfgold

I had to get to the last 30 seconds of the trailer, though. Many probably would've been scared off by that point. lol

I knew you was going to be the first to quote me back and again, I feel that you completely missed exactly what I was saying from the start to randomly toss this out...AGAIN.
I didn't miss anything. But, what you were saying doesn't matter because you can't blame people for having the wrong idea if you're not doing very much to dissuade them. Yeah, the wrong idea can maybe be rectified by researching the story in-depth, but you're better off not losing them to begin with. At any rate, I took Sotherius' main point as being about the gameplay, which it seemed like he did do a cursory look into.

If you want to actually talk about the game and not look like a pretentious ass...yeah, people expect you to actually do your damn research.
Sotherius' post seemed open to being educated to me, indeed saying that he didn't know that much. He said he'd find it hard to believe SK is as serious and grim as DOA and NG can get. And you claim that's pretentious when you are also saying now that the creator doesn't want people to think of SK as that serious and is actively portraying the game in accordance with that. It'd be different if he was making a more judgmental claim, but don't think that was the time to get as defensive as you did.

I was hardly talking for him. Adding my own insights would be more like it.

Did you really miss the "You Kick High"? The Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 commercials where they showed off the six-axis support...for jiggle physics? the Xtreme Beach Volleyball games in general?
That was my bad. I meant to type "DOA5, at least up to Ultimate", not "DOA up to Ultimate". I barely even remember what ads for DOA1 or 2 looked like.

And you know damn well Soul Calibur is NOT DETABALE!
NOOOOOOOOOO! Don't misspell something, put it in all caps, and then add an exclamation point. What have you done? lol

When you hype up a character whose sole trait is that she will always wear armor and not being sexy...in a game where the girls are at their absolute skimpiness, with a customization tool that makes it stupid easy to simply have her wear something else, including in their underwear and later down the line have a character creator in which you can give a female VOLDO'S MOVESET with zero irony whatsoever along with alot more options to tinker with... and that isn't even including the absolutely gratuitous F2P game(absolute emphasis on Pay 2 Win and Pay to even get some of the other characters, notably the females like Cassandra....ugh) which went to costume levels you would see with just the skimpiest bikini in XBV.

That shit isn't detabable and anyone who says otherwise is very delusional.
Wrong again, Bob.

It is very much debatable because the first thing that people are going to think of when you mention Soulcalibur is not "women in skimpy outfits", it's "weapons". The first thing that people usually think of when you mention DOA is "boobs" or very well might be "volleyball" (this actually happened once when I asked someone). There are a number of things that can be pointed to as to how SC avoided a stigma akin to what DOA got. One of them probably being Voldo is just as awkward as any of the women. It also says something that they felt free to include a character like Hilde in the first place. The question isn't even "should they have gotten" but "did they get" and I think the answer leans toward no.

It may not be that fair. But, that again goes to something I said earlier. That TN could possibly have its cake and eat it too if they were smarter about it. Senran Kagura...probably not. lol

Last edited:

I didn't miss anything. But, what you were saying doesn't matter because you can't blame people for having the wrong idea if you're not doing very much to dissuade them. Yeah, the wrong idea can maybe be rectified by researching the story in-depth, but you're better off not losing them to begin with. At any rate, I took Sotherius' main point as being about the gameplay, which it seemed like he did do a cursory look into.

Except that's still a stupid path to take because you are ultimately looking just at the cover and judging it on that alone. Trying to pretend it's anything but blind ignorance is just silly on every level since you can do that towards anything. I mean SFV did not help itself by making it's marketing campaign towards the FGC rather than actually show off the game and didn't even have the story to show. Trying to put it universally at sexualization is pretty offkilter to it being a problem in general.

Sotherius' post seemed open to being educated to me, indeed saying that he didn't know that much. He said he'd find it hard to believe SK is as serious and grim as DOA and NG can get. And you claim that's pretentious when you are also saying now that the creator doesn't want people to think of SK as that serious and is actively portraying the game in accordance with that. It'd be different if he was making a more judgmental claim, but don't think that was the time to get as defensive as you did.

Because the creator has signified what he knows his game is and I wouldn't be surprised if the dark storyline was something he tacked on because there needs to be a hook for story lovers in the same way we have this game being more open with it's gameplay but still relying on the sexy hook for people to even look at it considering people will otherwise see it as trying to copy Tekken.

That was my bad. I meant to type "DOA5, at least up to Ultimate", not "DOA up to Ultimate". I barely even remember what ads for DOA1 or 2 looked like.
Uh-huh...

NOOOOOOOOOO! Don't misspell something, put it in all caps, and then add an exclamation point. What have you done? lol
I don't know how that happened...

Wrong again, Bob.

It is very much debatable because the first thing that people are going to think of when you mention Soulcalibur is not "women in skimpy outfits", it's "weapons". The first thing that people usually think of when you mention DOA is "boobs" or very well might be "volleyball" (this actually happened once when I asked someone). There are a number of things that can be pointed to as to how SC avoided a stigma akin to what DOA got. One of them probably being Voldo is just as awkward as any of the women. It also says something that they felt free to include a character like Hilde in the first place. The question isn't even "should they have gotten" but "did they get" and I think the answer leans toward no.

It may not be that fair. But, that again goes to something I said earlier. That TN could possibly have its cake and eat it too if they were smarter about it. Senran Kagura...probably not. lol
We can argue this until the cows come home but that's specifically not what I've seen and heard from my side of the woods. Yes, Soul Calibur did not start the way it did, but it damn sure went that route to the point it can be said to be just another part of the series charm. And Lost Souls did give Soul Calibur a very messed up stigma after SCV's abysmal failure which is why we may only be getting another SC now...

At this rate, Soul Calibur will always be agree to disagree.

Juihau

I had to get to the last 30 seconds of the trailer, though. Many probably would've been scared off by that point. lol
Hey, all you asked was for some hint of a serious story. The opening narration and dialogue of the first 4 characters fit that fine, however clichéd they may be.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor

Wrong again, Bob.

They sexualized all the characters in all the more recent games, that's why they don't get flak for it. Girls in SC show ass and boobs but guys show chest, muscle and they were able to have outfits ripped pretty much on par with the girls and create a soul had very sexualized outfits for both males and females

Same with Street Fighter, they sexualize both genders equally
maxresdefault (5).jpg

20170921_234408.jpg

Argentus

Haven't checked the thread in a while so excuse me playing catch up responding to some older posts.

I don't think we need to worry about that. ;)
Firstly, DOAX3 was just a quick and cheap reuse of DOA5's old graphics engine and assets (some assets even came from DOAX2), DOA6's engine will be a completely overhauled one, optimized for PS4/XboxOne. They now had lots of time for that and games like Nioh as a test run.
Secondly, DOAX3 looks the way it does, simply because of the game that it is and the audience that it wants to attract. Everything has to look sun-drenched and bright and the girls have to look shiny and soft like sexdolls. The dementedly smiling faces too were quickly added because they couldn't let for example Kasumi frown and look concerned as she did in DOA5 all the time.
DOA6 will very likely not be set entirely on a tropical island, the overal theme won't be vacation and volleyball and there will also hopefully still be male characters, who would look awfully misplaced in such a scenario and look.
Last but not least, if there's one thing TN does have, it is amazing character artists, that can easily work in any style that they see fitting and they do have a very good nose for what is fitting. ;)

Latest TN games in order of release:

2667021-46+-+h05dsvx.jpg

frederick-fire-emblem-warriors-screenshot-5.jpg

These are more what I hope DOA6 will look like. I'm so sick of everything trying to look "realistic". Add a little stylistic flair, especially to bring back the signature dynamic aesthetic DOA was known for before 5.

DOA5 And Nioh look good but their styles bore me, realism alone doesn't impress me. Style mixed with realism however does which is why I feel Dissidia would be a better candidate for the game's new look.

This artstyle...
RichCautiousDromedary.gif

Looks alot more interesting and stylish than this one imo, although they both look good
tumblr_ol87348C0l1tt3wuco1_540.gif

^EXACTLY! Same. Realism alone does nothing for me.

deadoraliveobqma.jpg
this is DOA4 vs DOA5. i think it's fair to say that the next one should look more realistic than 5, since 5 was made for older hardware. for the artstyle i mean Dark Souls is pretty over the top with the bosses and weapons and they still manage to make it look pretty realistic.

The problem is 5's version of Helena just looks....dull, by comparison. They can keep the more realistic face design, but yaknow, brighten up the colors. Give us those vibrant bright eyes, pinker lips, golden hair. Cel shade the hair a tad.
More than the sexualization. DOA5's problem seems to be that the overall theme and artistic integrity went down the toilet long ago. Which bothers me because they seemed to be going in a good direction in DOA5 vanilla. I honestly don't care if they make sexy costumes for the girls as long as they fit with their personalities and fighting styles. Which is why I'm annoyed by Helena, the most elegant girl in the series having one of those Xtreme gemstone swimsuits. It looks hot, of course it does, but it doesn't fit Helena. Maybe Nyotengu, Christie or another one with a slutty attitude. But Helena¿ Come on... And that happens with a lot of costumes like Jann Lee's dragon furry thing or Bayman's absurd Frankestein costume that just make them look retarded rather than funny. And don't even get me started on the collaboration packs.
This so much. it's why I absolutely hate most of Mila's dlc outfits.

I've always thought that DOA's bad reputation as a sexualized fighter is unfair because pretty much every japanese fighting game is guilty of this. Street Fighter has Cammy's ass, KOF has Mai's boobs bouncing since the 90s, Soul Calibur's Ivy has costumes that would make any DOA girl jealous. Especially in SC4. I believe it just started as a joke back in the DOA1 days and it just kinda stuck, people got used to bashing the series for that without actually giving it a chance and they kept playing their other japanese fighters that also has sexualized girls.
Also agreed, i've always pointed this out. DOAS 1-4 were actually really tame compared to most other fighters. It, ironically, wasn't until DOA5 that it actually got to the fanservice levels it was accused of.

Personally, I've seen Marie Rose and Honoka's arrival as something amazing because I do like the moe art style and gameplay-wise, they're two of the most interesting fighters the series has. But especially in Honoka's case, she definitely needs more casual clothes and fighter outfits. I think she only has like... five of those¿ out of like 60 costumes. Most of her selection just doesn't fit with the game's fights and while she kinda looks cute in a magical girl outfit or a sexy maid dress, it just doesn't seem to fit with the game to me.

I realized I found Honoka way more tolerable in her transforming outfit where it gives her Hitomi's bob cut instead of her default hair.

I think like 85% of my "Hate on Sight" reaction to her is that stupid 1980-early 90s side pigtail. Seriously what is WITH Japan's obsession with that? That hairstyle shouldn't be seen outside of reruns of Full House and Saved By The Bell. Honoka might as well be carrying a Lisa Frank trapper keeper and playing pogs. She's just so....DATED looking.

If I had complete creative control over a possible DOA6. I definitely would continue exploiting the sex appeal of the girls, because that sells and if done correctly, looks cool (Tina's C1, Honoka's yellow bikini, Leifang's orange dress, etc) but paying close attention to giving each of them costumes that complement their styles and personalities. Enought with the bath towels, clothers from unrelated characters, Halloween and Christmas bullshit.

See I can support that. Like I still wish Mila had gotten just ONE swimsuit that actually suited her. Just a sporty one piece. Best she got was the copy of Hitomi's volleyball top.

I love Senran and Atelier but they just don't fit with the DOA fighters. Team NINJA needs to realize this before it's too late.

Mila's Senran Kagura outfit works fine because it's just jeans and a tshirt lol.

werewolfgold

Except that's still a stupid path to take because you are ultimately looking just at the cover and judging it on that alone. Trying to pretend it's anything but blind ignorance is just silly on every level since you can do that towards anything. I mean SFV did not help itself by making it's marketing campaign towards the FGC rather than actually show off the game and didn't even have the story to show. Trying to put it universally at sexualization is pretty offkilter to it being a problem in general.
I wasn't trying to imply that it only applies to sexualization. It really just comes down to "How do you want people to see your game and what active steps are you taking to ensure it is seen that way?" Senran Kagura, DOA, SF--everyone--will reap what they sow when it comes to their marketing, PR, and other choices for their games. That's why I'm not really into saying things like "It's unfair, etc., that DOA has the reputation it does" because it's not. There were multiple things they could've done to alleviate it. Everyone has to account for people being "ignorant" and not having the will or time to get past the surface layers. There's a whole job field in just designing book covers for that express reason. It was a choice to put Marie on the DOA5LR cover in Japan just as it was to not do that elsewhere. They know what's up.

(full speed ahead vote button intensifies)
i want yall to smash that full speed ahead button S M A S H I T
Abandon all hope. lol

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
.when you played doa long enough you just don't care ifs over sexualized. If you are embarrassed that you play a game with girls with jiggling breast turn the bounce level down and uninstall all the bikini packs. I like DOA the way it is.
giphy_s.gif

Exactly, if you think the game is oversexualized delete it and move on. I'm one of few people who don't care since I enjoy the game regardless, being insecure about DOA being too sexualized when it shouldn't affect you playing it is like being worried about overeating and worrying what people will say about you when it doesn't matter.

Besides TN isn't gonna stop for no one, they tried to fix up the image in DOA5 demo but thank God fans cried foul and they didn't further water down the game, the ultra thin hair and toned down color and grit is all im willing to take. DOA with no sex appeal is like Tekken with no EWGF or Street Fighter with no fireballs

Sotherius

DOA with no sex appeal is like Tekken with no EWGF or Street Fighter with no fireballs
Comparing a visual aspect to 2 gameplay aspects... man, you're going far.

Let's do a more fair comparison "Doa with no sex appeal is like tekken without the terrible shoulders of female characters and Street Fighter without giant hands.

Mayor-Of-Mustard

I think it's the mostly-female DLC that annoys me, like, fine, sexualise the females all you want (without going OOC, that is, which I feel like they've partially done), just don't leave out your other characters. I messaged DOAGame ages ago before they blocked messages from everyone (back in 2015).
true fact baybee.JPG
Glad the final season pass changes that.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Comparing a visual aspect to 2 gameplay aspects... man, you're going far.

Let's do a more fair comparison "Doa with no sex appeal is like tekken without the terrible shoulders of female characters and Street Fighter without giant hands.
No those comparisons are poorly reasoned tbh, as well as being cosmetic. Tekken has fixed the shoulder issue and it's only been prominent in one game. EVERYONE in SF has larger hands, and tbh if that's a problem that keeps you from playing the game you may have a problem since there's alot of people irl and in videogames who have larger hands and broad shoulders

And it's not gameplay aspect vs Visual aspect, it's what each game is primarily known for, what you said are just minor complaints that don't affect anything. But still if you're embarrassed to play DOA maybe you should delete it and move on, they're not gonna change just so outside players from other games will go less hard on it. They've tried that in early DOA5 when they tried to dial back sex appeal and tried more tasteful DLC but when it(thank God since that was a silly idea imo..) didn't work they went back to how it was in the beginning. And people have to remember you're not forced to buy DLC, it always makes me cringe when people who don't buy the DLC make a stink complaining we have too much or when they say they're not gonna buy anymore and they @ TN on twitter like they're losing sleep just because one person out of a million other players(especially in japan) isn't buying anything.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD