DOA5: Mr. Wah goes over the Dead or Alive 5 Demo

Einzelkind

On a semi-related note: I don't know if you have already seen this, but there's an online survey for the demo on Team Ninja's official site: http://teamninja-studio.com/doa5/manual/survey.html
1500 characters to give your opinion at the end. Probably won't have much clout, but if enough people state their concerns abouth the Izuna being unbreakable or whatever, maybe it will have some impact.

The demo does look like a step in the right direction,though.

Allan Paris

On a semi-related note: I don't know if you have already seen this, but there's an online survey for the demo on Team Ninja's official site: http://teamninja-studio.com/doa5/manual/survey.html
1500 characters to give your opinion at the end. Probably won't have much clout, but if enough people state their concerns abouth the Izuna being unbreakable or whatever, maybe it will have some impact.

The demo does look like a step in the right direction,though.

yeah this is already mentioned in another thread, I am talking about the link.

edit: the link is in the news thread, to be exact.

Arnell Long

I think all command throws except catch throws should be breakable. They could make it so vs holds/hi counter command throws are still unbreakable.

Yep, just as most throws are breakable in VF...so I think DOA5 should adapt that as they did the side-step attack...however, I think if you grab someone while they're "Holding"...then then grab should be free/inescapable...either way, I'll take what I can get.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
The problem with introducing throw breaks into the current DOA system is then how do I guarantee punishment? Take Busa's :3::H+K: in Dimensions for example, it's -8 on block and leave Busa crouching. What can I punish him with other than a throw? My fastest mid-jab is like 11 frames or something but I risk getting held and it doesn't really give me any options.

Einzelkind

I'm no expert on this subject, but wouldn't it make sense for throws to only be breakable if you're not in a frame disadvantage? For example: Guy A performs an unsafe attack, gets blocked and is now at a disadvantage of say -20. Guy B can now perform a guaranteed throw which takes less than 20 frames to initiate. If it takes longer Guy A can break it.
In my head it makes sense.
It just bothers me that some multipart throws like the Izuna are unbreakable while Leifang's for example isn't. They should stick with one option.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
The problem with introducing throw breaks into the current DOA system is then how do I guarantee punishment? Take Busa's :3::H+K: in Dimensions for example, it's -8 on block and leave Busa crouching. What can I punish him with other than a throw? My fastest mid-jab is like 11 frames or something but I risk getting held and it doesn't really give me any options.

As other games, like Street Fighter 4 does, you can't throw break if the throw was guaranteed. In terms of DOA I'd expect this would apply if you were under frame disadvantage or being thrown while holding.

It just bothers me that some multipart throws like the Izuna are unbreakable while Leifang's for example isn't. They should stick with one option.

They've "fixed" this... by making Hayabusa a grappler class... -_-;

Obviously now you wouldn't expect him to have breakable throws...

Allan Paris

They've "fixed" this... by making Hayabusa a grappler class... -_-;

Obviously now you wouldn't expect him to have breakable throws...

Hopefully enough people who filled out that survey asked that his Izuna drop throw is breakable.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
I'm pretty sure low throws in TK and VF are unbreakable, so it should be guaranteed punishment for what Grape was mentioning.

Same should go for DOA.

Master_Thespian

As other games, like Street Fighter 4 does, you can't throw break if the throw was guaranteed. In terms of DOA I'd expect this would apply if you were under frame disadvantage or being thrown while holding.
Yup.

I'm pretty sure low throws in TK and VF are unbreakable, so it should be guaranteed punishment for what Grape was mentioning.

Same should go for DOA.
Not so in either series, unless this has changed in TTT2 or VF5FS.

DrDogg

Limiting punishment to throws is one of the problems with DOA. That automatically gives the advantage to characters with better throws. DOA5 needs guaranteed punishment that isn't just a throw.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
This is why I was surprised when Wah said Busa's a grappler now. I mean, potentially, Busa's already a great character, now he can throw punish people even better now.

x Sypher x

They never made the Izuna breakable before, so why start now? I'm not against the idea but I don't see it happening either. If they do then they should at least make the first part of the Izuna breakable. Being able to break it in midair would just be plain retarded, even though it would look pretty fucking cool. The same applies to the Raijin if they actually go through with it.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I would only think it would be breakable at the start before he launches you, the extra combo throws are just extra damage as reward for having it not broken, but that only applies if all command throws were broken.

Here's a question though, lets say they were to implement a command throw break system. How would you like it to be handled in what notation should break what type of throw notation?

Berzerk!

How to notate throw breaks? Simple. Do what VF does. The direction of the throw command is the direction of the throw break.
In fact they simplified it in VF5FS, and all throw breaks are either left or right if I recall correctly.
Couple that with not being able to break when your in disadvantage eg holding and you maintain the punishment ethic of throws.
It's probably best to only breaking on initial throw but it would be kinda cool to see people flip out of an Izuna because they put in a sharp throw break and the Ryu Hayabusa player was just loosely inputting their throw.

x Sypher x

I would only think it would be breakable at the start before he launches you, the extra combo throws are just extra damage as reward for having it not broken, but that only applies if all command throws were broken.

Here's a question though, lets say they were to implement a command throw break system. How would you like it to be handled in what notation should break what type of throw notation?

I was actually thinking the same thing in the first paragraph.

I'm not sure how to answer that question though. I'm not very savvy with technical terms. If you explain the question a bit further I can try though.

EDIT: Yeah what Berzerk said, that sounds about right. I had VF5 in the back of my mind as well. It makes sense.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD