Media DOA5U Akira Combo Guide

JohnS

Good vid but it is only good for watching. While your effort is appreciated, however it is a common mistake that new doa players make: They simply think "if I just figure out a combo in EVERY situation with different high/mid mix-ups then I'll be fine", but this is a very small part in real tournaments, most of these combo you won't use in a million fights.

This is not how DOA works. In a game where a hi-counter throw/hold can take 30%+ of life you can't just ignore them. Videos should emphasis GUARANTEED combos. There are not many of them, and some are dependent on environments but these are everyday combos that are much more useful. The more you keep your opponent on the ground, the more likely your combo is gonna fail.

Combos created from a standing dummy are very vulnerable. A single (low) hold/slow escape can mess up your whole hard practiced juggle. Also there are combos that can only be performed when stun is extended because they are holding more than they need, also there are tactics against people that are slow escaping all the time. Dealing with a stunned opponent is a HUGE topic so that's why most of these combos are not useful.

Good to watch, not practical.

Good vid but it is only good for watching. While your effort is appreciated, however it is a common mistake that new doa players make: They simply think "if I just figure out a combo in EVERY situation with different high/mid mix-ups then I'll be fine", but this is a very small part in real tournaments, most of these combo you won't use in a million fights.

This is not how DOA works. In a game where a hi-counter throw/hold can take 30%+ of life you can't just ignore them. Videos should emphasis GUARANTEED combos. There are not many of them, and some are dependent on environments but these are everyday combos that are much more useful. The more you keep your opponent on the ground, the more likely your combo is gonna fail.

Combos created from a standing dummy are very vulnerable. A single (low) hold/slow escape can mess up your whole hard practiced juggle. Also there are combos that can only be performed when stun is extended because they are holding more than they need, also there are tactics against people that are slow escaping all the time. Dealing with a stunned opponent is a HUGE topic so that's why most of these combos are not useful.

While I'm not a tournament player (I do plan on attending some soon), I can assure you that I'm most certainly not a new player. I know how DOA works. I understand what you're saying but to outright dismiss the video as impractical is a going a bit too far. I never said (nor will I ever say) that all of these combos are the only thing anyone should be practicing. I'm well aware of the many different factors that can change a combo. It was just meant to show what Akira is capable of and to get more people interested in learning how to play as him. It also serves as a general guide so new Akira players won't be so lost when it comes to figuring things out with him. He's a very challenging character and arguably one of the hardest to learn how to play effectively. I just wanted to get people looking at somewhere to start because that is VERY scarce when it comes to Akira.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor

You're seriously going to say that all 13 minutes are not practical? The guaranteed damage section. The quick launch section. The gbod set ups. Wall splats... sure there are some combos that can be slow escaped, but 80% of those can't. Be gone troll. There is no bridge for you here.

Tulkas

Premium Donor
Great stuff! I liked this video very much except the CB setups section... I found it too long, mainly filled with simple stun extenders, however I did find nice ones. ;) :) Thank you very much for doing it! :D

Great stuff! I liked this video very much except the CB setups section... I found it too long, mainly filled with simple stun extenders, however I did find nice ones. ;) :) Thank you very much for doing it! :D

Yeah I figured that section was a little too long. I was going to edit some out but I didn't know where to begin lol. As long as it managed to help you.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD