DOA6 Gameplay Thread

Leifang12

Why is there no footage of Leifang and Hitomi. Where is the 5 minute video showcasing the characters and the new stage just like what they did with Diego !!! :( I wan't to see some high level Leifang play please !!!!!!!

just_me

Standard Donor
So here are some impressions from the gamescom build:

Leifang:
  • 214P is a low Sabaki and it's also available from Unshu via 1P (I think the old 214P is gone, but I might have missed new P+K inputs while scrolling through the movelists)
  • (already common knowledge) 1PK as new String variation, Lift Stuns
  • 2P+KK (3P4PK) as new String Variation; Mid Kick and Crumples
  • 64P is “gone”, since it's the first hit of her Fatal Rush
  • I think you can use her FR from Unshu, not 100% sure though.

Hitomi:
  • 214KPP as extended String; bounces from midair and you can even connect a BB from the bounce
  • the Ein Punch is BT P+K
  • 3PK is a new String variation
  • I missed her last new String from the trailer. I looked for new 4K or 3K stuff… but looking at the trailer again it looked like a (5)K… so probably KP+KP. Also means K no longer wallsplats it's KPP, the K no longer wallsplats airborne opponents
General:
  • Stagger Escape is not in the current build
  • BB cancel is still possible
  • You can obviously still do SSH, SSH, S... looks a bit cheap XD I think they should just have FRs launch on the 2nd Hit…
  • I didn't have any random low whiffs. So this glitch from the EVO build might be fixed.
  • Master said you always get the same, but not max launch height from launches in Stun on standing opponents independent from threshold. So SDS also get some added value, since launching a crouched opponent still grants extra height.
  • The Groundgame seemed unchanged since EVO (no FT, low Dmg)
  • I actually managed to use a Break Hold too early in a FR. Got hit by the first 3 wanted to hold the last Hit, but pressed too early and ate it anyway
  • I also got mid WUKed out of a BB, but maybe I just used it too early.
  • BBs are vulnerable to throws during startup… for a few frames at least.

I tried to display the dynamic move list, or the move details, couldn't find it though. I was told those are only available in the build for the media (poor me). There are probably more property changes I just did not stumble upon or did not notice since I don't really play any of these characters and haven't played in quite some time. Didn't even really check throws and holds tbh.

I think this plays at the moment like a mix between DoA3 and DoA5, which I personally like. Imo the whole Break System including Sidestep Attacks and FR work better and do more for the game than PB, PL, and CB. You can obviously do some rather hilarious stuff with BB cancels from Juggles and Dangerzones. They have to do something with the Groundgame though, I guess it's either increase the Dmg vs opponents on the ground or re-introduce FTs…

Last edited:

crapoZK

Standard Donor
Good looks my guy.

Hitomi's K no longer wallsplatting will make things interesting for wall pressure. People used to do K all the time to just get a quick and easy wall combo like PPP. Lowkey a lil nerf.

Raansu

just_me said:
Hitomi:
  • I missed her last new String from the trailer. I looked for new 4K or 3K stuff… but looking at the trailer again it looked like a (5)K… so probably KP+KP. Also means K no longer wallsplats
The animation was just her standing K string so it looks like they just tacked on a punch string to the standing k which I'm cool with.

just_me said:
General:

Stagger Escape is not in the current build

Hopefully it stays that way.

just_me said:
You can obviously still do SSH, SSH, S... looks a bit cheap XD I think they should just have FRs launch on the 2nd Hit…

From what I've seen FR's are only about 4-5 hits anyways and they are unholdable, so I don't really see free canceling them and doing the first 2 hits again that big of a deal as long as it has knockdown properties after a certain threshold like other moves do.

just_me said:
Master said you always get the same, but not max launch height from launches in Stun on standing opponents independent from threshold. So SDS also get some added value, since launching a crouched opponent still grants extra height.

This sounds fanfuckingtastic! Sounds like a great mixture for those who liked DoA3's smaller stun system.

just_me said:
BBs are vulnerable to throws during startup… for a few frames at least.

I actually think this is good. It seems like most of the time BB will be used either in a juggle or as a sabaki. Baiting out players trying to throw it cold turkey and punishing it with a throw adds some thought process to the mechanic.

just_me said:
Imo the whole Break System including Sidestep Attacks and FR work better and do more for the game than PB, PL, and CB. You can obviously do some rather hilarious stuff with BB cancels from Juggles and Dangerzones.

I'm still of the opinion the meter should take longer to build, but I agree that its usefulness in a match is far superior to PB's that were so rarely used due to how easy they were to stop and how much of a setup they required to be pulled off. Side step attacks seemed a little too good at EVO imo. I hope they can find the right balance with it and not be like DoA5 were SS was kind of meh.

just_me said:
They have to do something with the Groundgame though, I guess it's either increase the Dmg vs opponents on the ground or re-introduce FTs…

Call me old school, but I really REALLY hate force techs and the ground game that formed from DoA4 and into DoA5. The blenders that certain characters could create was just obnoxious. I'm all for a ground game, but I've always disliked FT's. I'm probably one of the small few that liked how the ground game worked in the EVO build, even though I think that's just a bug and the ground game is incomplete. I'm sure we'll get the standard FT's that we've had since 4.

just_me

Standard Donor
From what I've seen FR's are only about 4-5 hits anyways and they are unholdable, so I don't really see free canceling them and doing the first 2 hits again that big of a deal as long as it has knockdown properties after a certain threshold like other moves do.

Sure, I agree that it's probably not much of an issue in practice. But if your opponent does not have meter something like SS, SS, SS, SSSS is an actual combo for everyone in the cast… and you just know someone will use this to point out what a shitty button masher DoA is with Combos like this (and it does look kinda lame imo)

Call me old school, but I really REALLY hate force techs and the ground game that formed from DoA4 and into DoA5. The blenders that certain characters could create was just obnoxious. I'm all for a ground game, but I've always disliked FT's. I'm probably one of the small few that liked how the ground game worked in the EVO build, even though I think that's just a bug and the ground game is incomplete. I'm sure we'll get the standard FT's that we've had since 4.

I'm fine with force techs as a concept. However, if they add more moves that Guard Break/are + on Block (as was said in one interview), you can get decent Dmg of every Stun, the density of Danger Zones is higher and you have (Pseudo) FTs + unholdables I feel the game might become too offense-oriented. So not having FTs could be a good idea, but there should still be situations where the defender wants to tech immediately instead of just waiting for an opportunity to do a Wake Up Kick and with the current Dmg from attacks that can hit a grounded opponent those situations are too rare imo. At the moment you can just eat a 2KK or something similar for very little damage and after that, your opponent is most likely really close and has to deal with your Kick since they do not have enough advantage for more pressure. Increasing the Dmg Revision to 70% or so and maybe add more pushback to the attacks might be sufficient…

Raansu

Moves repeated generally have a threshold that causes a knockdown or a launch (I love using repeated jabs with hitomi for a quick and easy juggle after the first jab stuns.)

Does this not apply with the FR string? If it doesn't that seems more like an unintentional design and would likely change.

just_me

Standard Donor
Does this not apply with the FR string? If it doesn't that seems more like an unintentional design and would likely change.

The same rules apply, but you repeat the first 2 hits till you exceed the threshold (happens with the 2nd hit of the 3rd set), so it's not “the same move twice in a row”. But whatever it's no big deal either way.

d3v

Side step attacks seemed a little too good at EVO imo. I hope they can find the right balance with it and not be like DoA5 were SS was kind of meh.
If we had to choose between them being too good or meh, I'd prefer too good.
Sure, I agree that it's probably not much of an issue in practice. But if your opponent does not have meter something like SS, SS, SS, SSSS is an actual combo for everyone in the cast… and you just know someone will use this to point out what a shitty button masher DoA is with Combos like this (and it does look kinda lame imo)
Compared to what? This is a game where PPP or KKK can get you a combo as well, so this complaint about SSS "auto-combos" makes no sense to me.

crapoZK

Standard Donor
But if your opponent does not have meter something like SS, SS, SS, SSSS is an actual combo for everyone in the cast… and you just know someone will use this to point out what a shitty button masher DoA is with Combos like this (and it does look kinda lame imo)
You can literally mash in any one of the current fighting games to get results. So if scrubs wanna buy the game and do just that, it's only fair to let them. It won't take them long to realise that it's not viable to be predictable.

We can't even use Tekken as an example for a game that doesn't let you mash buttons anymore because as of S2 you can literally get auto combos with spamming 1 button. It's not and will never be that deep my g.

EDIT: Zack has a PPPPP now?? It's mad out here.

Last edited:

just_me

Standard Donor
My issue is not that FRs exist, nor that FRs are Natural Combos. And the looping itself is not a gameplay or ease of execution issue either, it just creates visually unappealing Combos imo… it looks kinda lame.

If a char has e.g. a 3PP that liftstuns into a guaranteed SDS, the last hit bounds on threshold and from midair and thus a legitimate Combo is something like 3PP, 3PP, 3PP, 3PP, 3PP. I'd say this is a move where someone could reconsider changing some properties even though this is not necessarily a gameplay issue.

I'm perfectly fine with partial FR(, into SDS, into max height) launcher, into max Dmg Juggle (which might very well be any refloat into FR)
I think the game would be better off if they keep the first hit of your FR as a generalized unholdable stun, but after that, you have to commit to your FR. However, if they keep it as is I won't lose any sleep over it either.

crapoZK

Standard Donor
Why does Jann Lee look so slow on some moves bruh. Shit's weird lmaooo

Some shit I peeped for Jann Lee:
  • His 11 hit string is funny to look at lmaooo.
  • He can go into Dragon Stance from 7K now.
  • The high kick from KKK has now been turned into a high kick Back-Turned launcher. Notation might be BT 7K.
  • Using SSSS in combos after launching is stupidly viable.
Zack:
  • 3PPP is safe now bruh. For WHAT reason man.
  • Not sure what the health settings are in the demos, but Zack literally does no damage in it. He's going back to being a hard worker for his wins, but in exchange for safe strings and better mixups.

Last edited:

DyByHands

The more basic gameplay videos I watch, the more I am enjoying the look of the Fatal Rush. At first the whole "auto combo" thing seemed, meh. But watching them use it out of stances and canceling it into other moves, etc. It is looking pretty decent.
And in the Jann Lee video above, is that his one taunt (the taunt that can be a counter) at 5:12? Or does he have an actual command for that move?

DyByHands

It's his Break Hold, you can see the meter consumption.
Oh ok, I didn't even realize the meter changed. So his dragon counter taunt is his BH. I didn't even realize that from the initial videos. I got excited thinking it was just a taunt. Which, I don't think Ive seen any taunts yet then.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD