DOA6 Graphics Thread

Juihau

Oh. Huh. But it wasn't actually playable, was it? I coulda swore I remember reading something about her not actually having a playable kimono costume until Dimensions, and the wiki at least seems to back that up. I'unno.

SaihateDYNAMO

Oh. Huh. But it wasn't actually playable, was it? I coulda swore I remember reading something about her not actually having a playable kimono costume until Dimensions, and the wiki at least seems to back that up. I'unno.
yeah dimensions marked the first time it was ever playable! it pretty much existed in DOA4 to show off the game's next-gen cloth physics since the game would start to lag if the kimono was used in an actual match. it's crazy how much nicer her kimono looks there.

human013

Tekken 7 has some pretty good male torsos though which is the only thing DOA6 needs now. Besides that DOA6 looks ahead of the other games.

Dr PaC

Let's have a thread in which we discuss DOA6's graphics, including the look of characters, their costumes, stages etc. :)

Lemme start with reposting these direct comparison shots of characters that show quite well that while the DOA5 visual style has been preserved, and the characters look on a first glance identical, Team Ninja did in fact make an effort to polish each character model in detail:

a0hek79wciehd6nzg.jpg

New high polygon hair meshes, especially the pigtails, new ear shape, higher quality textures and shaders allround.

t16z96ztag7ztgpzg.jpg

Improved hair and ribbon meshes, better texturing and shaders, and while I'm always very careful to claim facial changes have been made, because different lighting and shading can easily play tricks on you, I think Marie's chin is less round and her lower lip has less volume. Marie looks a bit less baby-faced and pouty.

And while we are at it:

tda19r690v1976szg.jpg

Ouch, Tekken 7 got p0wned in regard to character models! XD

Oh my Lord. The difference is like night and day

Tyaren

Standard Donor
An image of Helena in DOA Central mode. Might this be the base Xbox One version? Xbox buttons, low resolution and strong aliasing might be an indicator. It could also be the PC version on low settings.

DtgIR1TVsAEOzKd.jpg:orig

I like how Helena's character model looks here though. One of her best DOA5 costumes and in this lighting her skin looks beautifully wam and soft.

Here's a rare 4K shot of Nico in DOA Central mode:

Ds01gPnU0AAGCOy.jpg:orig

I noticed that the arches of her shoulders are pretty low polygon and show visible angles. Let's zoom in a little:

5q018ag7mn3bl2qzg.jpg

Yeah, in DOA5 shoulder arches were definitely modelled a bit rounder:

fb5gqkjlxjm5jwszg.jpg

I have no clue why they would actually go a step backwards in model quality... :/

Last edited:

Bogetsu

They're definitely running the game in LQ to make it smoother for consoles. However, I'm curious about the maximum PC graphics performance.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Oh yes! The developers definitely without a shadow of doubt need to actually add more length and volume to the open/loose hairstyles for all females who have long hair such as Kasumi, Lei Fang, Helena, Kokoro& Momiji the list goes on.

One thing that's always bothered me about Kasumi in particular is her fringe/bangs. It's very shaggy, almost sharp looking especially with the new lighting in Dead Or Alive 6 doesn't help at all. There's random highlights and strands of hair that don't sit right. Meanwhile the other girls, Ayane for example has her bangs at a perfect length, sitting right and on fleek without covering too much of her face! Our wife needs the same treatment! ^^

EDIT: I'll attach pictures of what I mean when I get the chance and work some magic.
On fleek?? Are you a bi Kasumi lover too?? :-D and definitely! <3 I would love Kasumi with hair like THIS pic like this hair mod on pc, it's actually a nice length but I wouldn't mind it slightly longer tho

Screenshot (164).png

And tbh I don't mind Kasumi's shaggy hime type bangs, since she's on the run I don't imagine she really has time to trim it up so I think the shaggy look kinda really fits that "runaway" ninja queen type vibe she has going on which I feel they improved from DOA5 to DOA6( I used these pics to compare them)
Screenshot (1410).png

Fotor_153801527771962_Signature.jpg

I wouldn't mind if they made the bangs less transparent tho and more like Ayane since their hairstyles are basically the same except Ayane cut hers short. And i would like if the loose hair actually had weight to it as well, I don't really like how "floaty" the hair seems to move but then again DOA is one of the few games that renders hair with movement to go over and behind the shoulder unlike other games but SFV imo is a game they could learn from since hair in that game is super thick and has better movement :p

werewolfgold

The lighting in the image comparison above is completely off in the DOA6 image though. :/ They need to do something about the way white cloth reacts to the lighting. It is way too bright. I also noticed this effect in this screen that TN recently shared on Twitter:

DtQIyxbUcAAzyel.jpg:orig

Way too bright. @__@

By the way, when I first saw Ayane's classic costume I thought that they ripped it straight out of DOA5 without any improvements. I was wrong about that. Yesterday I compared the two costumes directly and they did actually improve the model. The big bow has way more polygons now, it was actually quite blocky before, the chest is modelled rounder and the textures of the costume have also changed and improved.
So, they actually do also polish the old DOA5 costumes. :)
AyAnE's BoObS wErE nErFeD, gAiZ!
Yeah, nothing else to contribute for now. Sorry. lol

KnacKrover

Oh yes! The developers definitely without a shadow of doubt need to actually add more length and volume to the open/loose hairstyles for all females who have long hair such as Kasumi, Lei Fang, Helena, Kokoro& Momiji the list goes on.

One thing that's always bothered me about Kasumi in particular is her fringe/bangs. It's very shaggy, almost sharp looking especially with the new lighting in Dead Or Alive 6 doesn't help at all. There's random highlights and strands of hair that don't sit right. Meanwhile the other girls, Ayane for example has her bangs at a perfect length, sitting right and on fleek without covering too much of her face! Our wife needs the same treatment! ^^

EDIT: I'll attach pictures of what I mean when I get the chance and work some magic. In the mean time, I just had to sorry not sorry lmfaoo
View attachment 26695

I'm sorry wtf xD
FB_IMG_1543924229213~01.jpg

Chapstick

EDIT: I'll attach pictures of what I mean when I get the chance and work some magic. In the mean time, I just had to sorry not sorry lmfaoo
View attachment 26695
Kasumi doesn’t need terf bangs thank you

Cadaveri

The lighting in the image comparison above is completely off in the DOA6 image though. :/ They need to do something about the way white cloth reacts to the lighting. It is way too bright. I also noticed this effect in this screen that TN recently shared on Twitter:

DtQIyxbUcAAzyel.jpg:orig

Way too bright. @__@

I don't know about that, It kinda reminds me of the dead or alive 4 lighting

for example:

I'd rather have tad too bright white than the dull gray crap we had in 5 imho

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I don't want nonsensical/buggy lighting like this:

fotor_154393768076715-jpg.26648

Everything is more or less properly lit except the white parts of Kasumi's costume. That's why her skin looks so dark and some here actually believed she was tanned, lol. Nope, her skin just reacts properly to the surrounding lighting and is displayed darker whereas the white on her costume in stark contrast glows as if it was radioactive.

I'd rather have tad too bright white than the dull gray crap we had in 5 imho

Let's compromise and have something inbetween. :) It doesn't only have to be one extreme or the other.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
I don't want nonsensical/buggy lighting like this:

fotor_154393768076715-jpg.26648

Everything is more or less properly lit except the white parts of Kasumi's costume. That's why her skin looks so dark and some here actually believed she was tanned, lol. Nope, her skin just reacts properly to the surrounding lighting and is displayed darker whereas the white on her costume in stark contrast glows as if it was radioactive.

Let's compromise and have something inbetween. :) It doesn't only have to be one extreme or the other.

After 2,000 hours of DOA5, I want absolute color. I don't want a lack of it again.

If the compromise went through even more people would say it is unchanged from DOA5.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD