DOA6 Graphics Thread

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
:oops:
On fleek! This is what happens when you have too many sisters they rub off on you XD!!

Those PC mods look amazing by the way, now if the developers would implement it, this will be a massive jump forward in the right direction. As for Kasumi and her bangs that makes sense about constantly being on the run and not having enough time to maintain it. However I think it's time the devs pulled out the bowl and trim around her fringe lol. Jokes a side it'd be nice if if they do revamp it, just so the fact that it looks more different from the previous game. Agreed, hopefully they'll fix the floaty hair and take a page out of SFV's book because it does seem like it hasn't got that much weight on it which looks a bit uhh, abnormal!

Alrighty, I took to photoshop and revamped Kasumi's fringe. I took so much inspiration from Ayane & Lei Fang and the way their bangs sit (which is perfect) I took a lot of cues from how theirs is designed. Oh & Kasumi's older hair from DOA2/DOA3. The main purpose of this was just to frame up Kasumi's cute face so we can see it a lot better and to get rid of those random highlights, shadows that casts a unflattering look from the new game engine. It's hidden behind how shaggy her fringe is, hopefully this helps the developers in pointing them in the right direction when they revamp assests on her, instead of just using it from the previous game. I'm sure they'd do a bang up job if they ever decide to getting around to doing it. Which I totally hope that they do! WELP, take a peek :DView attachment 26716View attachment 26717View attachment 26718
Ngl it looks much neater but it doesn't really fit her tbh, I feel like Kasumi is more made to wear messy shaggy bangs more or so than neat one. Even in DOA4 her bangs were still messy with the anime art style

DOA4_Kasumi_Wallpaper (1).jpg
Kasumi-dead-or-alive-1147801_1280_1024.jpg

Jesus, her hair was so perfect then.. But yeah her bangs were still like that back then but due to the style they kinda merged them as one base but they're still shaggy. In DOA6 I think they just need to res up her bangs a bit more and make them thicker and less see through and then she'll be perfect, also hopefully they'll make her loose hair model better too and maybe add a break mechanic like Helena where if she's hit with a break blow her ponytail becomes loose like Sophitia in SC6!

After sitting there staring at it for a while it doesn't.. look so bad after all?! It grows on you I had to check myself a few times lol!
giphy.webp

I just had to! I was cracking up the whole time :D

Hmm seeing as you said that I just might give everyone terf bangs!
tenor.gif
Tbh I don't think Nyo would look bad with the bangs but that's probably because she has a blunt hime cut already xD

also you may wanna merge your posts so you don't catch some heat for double posting

Tyaren

Standard Donor
EDIT: I almost forgot, has anyone else noticed how the character models skin texture in Dead Or Alive 6 hasn't got that much detail as it did in DOA5? They look a lot more, plastic and airbrushed. I think they should add detail such as skin pores and what not. I can post pics up when I get the chance, Zack is definitely a good example of this.

The skin texture of characters is there, it is actually much finer and crisper than in DOA5, where it was kinda crude and low resolution. The problem with fine and crisp textures is they blur when images or videos are low resolution and/or heavily compressed. And that is unfortunately the case in all of the footage that we got so far of the game. Koei Tecmo in general seems not to care to provide us with high quality footage of any of their games. That's not part of their marketing strategy. When I am posting HD or even 4K screens here I either had to get them with some detours from other game media outlets or I had to rip them off their website or social media with a couple of tricks. In that case they are of original big size, but they still are heavily compressed.
Here's a comparison of what image compression does to texture detail:

qg6ji8its8arq99zg.jpg

So, don't worry, texture is definitely there and it is actually much improved over DOA5. The only thing that bothers me personally is the shaders they are applying to the characters's skin, they are unnaturally shiny. I guess that is part of their sweat system, but they stated they are going to revise it fortunately. Much of what we see seems to be still work in progress.

Last edited:

Onryoki

Standard Donor
I thought this was a Graphics thread not a Kasumi hair discussion thread.

I really wonder when they’re gonna add belly buttons to the Male characters, it really looks weird when they’re fighting shirtless.

I don't want nonsensical/buggy lighting like this:

fotor_154393768076715-jpg.26648
I don’t know if it’s the screenshot or not but I actually would like it if the stage was a tad darker, an abandoned ship being so well lit like this is just unrealistic, Kasumi’s white suit is just too bright and it looks off in this screenshot.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
DOA6 is by far the best looking fighting game! I see a lot of colors now and it doesn't look dull and boring like DOA5.
is it me or is Kasumi's hair much brighter now?
It is, look at her hair in LR versus DOA6

IMG_20181006_113453.jpg
IMG_20180925_105059.jpg

It could also be the lighting as well but I don't honestly recall her hair being this bright in DOA5, it looks closer to how vividly bright her hair color was in DOA4 tbh xD

Leifasumi

It is, look at her hair in LR versus DOA6

View attachment 26748View attachment 26749

It could also be the lighting as well but I don't honestly recall her hair being this bright in DOA5, it looks closer to how vividly bright her hair color was in DOA4 tbh xD

I am so glad they changed it back (kinda) because the brown hair didn't fit Kasumi at all. I still want her orange hair back but this is close enough at least and it looks great.

Edit: The only thing they need to improve is the hair textures graphics wise.

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I am so glad they changed it back (kinda) because the brown hair didn't fit Kasumi at all. I still want her orange hair back but this is close enough at least and it looks great.

Edit: The only thing they need to improve is the hair textures graphics wise.
Yeah, tied hair in the game looks good and loose hair seems a bit better but they could still could afford to improve textures, even tho imo even if they don't it's still better than Tekken and Soul Calibur's hair textures in most cases.
If they just made the hair thicker and not so thin I would honestly be happy, the character models and how improved everything else looks is enough for me. Fighting games don't really have to have super ultra realistic hair textures

Tyaren

Standard Donor
The hair textures in DOA6 are the same of DOA5, they just use slightly higher resolution versions of those . I think they still look passable though, especially compared to Tekken 7 or Soul Calibur 6, but you can see a quality difference to the completely new hair of Diego or Nico, but also Marie Rose and Honoka, which were made already with the current generation in mind. These 4 characters' hair features finer and more detailed textures and a more feathery, 3dimensional look.

I have to disagree that DOA6 is the best looking fighter. It's the best looking 3D fighter, but if we also look to 2D fighters Inustice 2 and the just recently revealed Mortal Kombat 11 look better overall. Better character models, in modeling, texturing, shaders and facial animations, the stages are also more detailed, better modelled, textured and most of all better lit.
Here are a few screens of MK11:

07_mk02.jpg

07_mk06.jpg

07_mk03.jpg

You can like the gritty, realstic aesthetic or not (I personally definitely prefer DOA's look), but it looks overall more polished with less visible flaws.
I wished I wasn't completely turned off by its extreme violence, lol. @Jadeinchains

Jadeinchains

Yeah to be off topic quickly MK11 is looking gorgeous, ( Jade needs to be in it especially since she'll look incredible in these graphics! :eek: ) Everything about it looks amazing from the characters to the stage. ( Which is a destroyed version of the Monastery where the original MK tournament was held. :) ) Really looking forward to it, The fatalities are going to look amazing I can tell! :D

Onryoki

Standard Donor
Yeah to be off topic quickly MK11 is looking gorgeous, ( Jade needs to be in it especially since she'll look incredible in these graphics! :eek: ) Everything about it looks amazing from the characters to the stage. ( Which is a destroyed version of the Monastery where the original MK tournament was held. :) ) Really looking forward to it, The fatalities are going to look amazing I can tell! :D
To respond to your off topic post also being off topic. That new female character (the ones who’s wig got snatched when she saw Jade) looks amazing, I wonder who she is and if she’s good or evil.

Anyway back to the topic, I wonder how the final build of DOA6 looks like since they said it’s gonna look really good. It better have bellybuttons because it’s disturbing, honestly.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Anyway back to the topic, I wonder how the final build of DOA6 looks like since they said it’s gonna look really good. It better have bellybuttons because it’s disturbing, honestly.

I honestly doubt they'll add any navels at this point. Only a select few people even complained to them about it. I guess on release day when everybody else realizes their husbandos look like aliens the drama will be big though, especially if the preorder costumes for the male characters are similarly revealing as those of the girls.

I'm still worried about Eliot's look, who I expect to be revealed soon. I really don't want to see his egghead again:

maw139y5z3d2cp5zg.jpg

I swear it is getting worse each time I look... >__>

Onryoki

Standard Donor
I honestly doubt they'll add any navels at this point. Only a select few people even complained to them about it. I guess on release day when everybody else realizes their husbandos look like aliens the drama will be big though, especially if the preorder costumes for the male characters are similarly revealing as those of the girls.

I'm still worried about Eliot's look, who I expect to be revealed soon. I really don't want to see his egghead again:

maw139y5z3d2cp5zg.jpg

I swear it is getting worse each time I look... >__>
Eliot reminds me of Alien in that picture sksksksksksksksk.
93FB0303-FCD4-4492-98FF-2030BA8B16AD.jpeg

Seriously though he needs a better haircut, or they need to fix that egghead shape and make it more round like Leo’s. I don’t get why Eliot’s head was designed to look like an egg to begin with...
C8C0FE7D-4D5B-4F32-A9A0-DE7C23676458.jpeg

Like 2 drops of water hahah

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
I would say overall that DOA is still the better looking fighter if you tie in the many different aspects. For one Mortal Kombat has the clunkiest animation of any fighter out there. It's a 2D fighting game so automatically has less going on in the background.

A lot of the MK reveal looked pre-rendered too/ the backgrounds..

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Eliot reminds me of Alien in that picture sksksksksksksksk.View attachment 26750
Seriously though he needs a better haircut, or they need to fix that egghead shape and make it more round like Leo’s. I don’t get why Eliot’s head was designed to look like an egg to begin with...
View attachment 26751
Like 2 drops of water hahah

XDDD

At least the inclusion of DOA Central mode gives me a little hope his way better alternate hairstyle will be available from the start.

They still haven't addressed how one is going to unlock or earn those customizing items. I am a little worried they are trying to sneak some scammy microtransactions in there.

They also have to do something with Eliot's face/skin. Out of all characters he looked the most like a porcelain/ceramic doll.

eliot_portrait_by_doafanboi_d6oq84t-pre.jpg

A lot of the MK reveal looked pre-rendered too/ the backgrounds..

Because the reveal trailer was entirely prerendered. These screenshots aren't however, although they almost look as good and clean as if they were. Only speaks of its high graphical fidelity though.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
Because the reveal trailer was entirely prerendered. These screenshots aren't however, although they almost look as good and clean as if they were. Only speaks of it's high graphical quality though.

How do you know that the screenshots are not? They look pretty cleaned up to me. Anyway, it looks good -- I will try it when it comes out.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
How do you know that the screenshots are not? They look pretty cleaned up to me. Anyway, it looks good -- I will try it when it comes out.

Because there are still lots of telltale signs of it being real time: Polygon angles, especially in the background (though very reduced, which is very impressive); imperfect anisotropic filtering on oblique surfaces; particle effects are still 2D and clip through character models and level geometry; effects like flames are repeatingly used; soft, undefined shadow maps and selfshadowing; missing full global illumination etc. It looks really good but not prerendered perfect.
Image quality looks this clean because it is downsampled from 4K resolution to 1080p. There's apparently also a PC version available day one.

There is also a Switch version. I'm interested to see the severe downgrades they'll have to apply there. Maybe even sub 60fps?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD