DOA6 Graphics Thread

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Lemme do a little review of the game's visuals, at least the state of the visuals in the beta. :)

The game runs at 60fps in 1080p resolution. It being full HD on base PS4 is commendable, especially if we look at other 3D fighters that don't manage to reach that resolution on base consoles.
There's little to no antialiasing at all, as usual with KT games, so there are (similar to DOA5LR) some jaggies going on, but the game also looks very crisp. That's a treat compared to the very blurry Tekken 7 and SoulCalibur 6.
Effects like depth of field, that we usually see in character intros and outros, where partly there and partly missing. I am sure they will work on that to make it show up consistently in the final game.
Because the base PS4 version already reaches 1080p resolution, I assume that we can look forward to the PS4 Pro (which was not supported in the beta yet) version bumping up the resolution to something like 1440p, while the Xbox One X can probably reach something like 1600p, maybe even 1800p. I assume full 4K at 60fps is only possible on PC though.
Loading times were still a bit long, but they already were much shorter than in preview videos and the online connection probably was also to blame, adding some extra waiting time.

The game's visuals are very inconsistent. It can look very good, but it can also look pretty bad. There were times when the beautifully modelled character models (especially faces, hands and some costumes...) or their great animations (power blows) wowed me, and there were times when I had to shake my head in disbelief at how anatomically messed up character models were (completely wrong navel and musculature placement on Diego), and that they partly used worse textures (Ayane's and Hayate's costumes and Hayate's and Kasumi's hair) than even DOA5 would use on default costumes. There partly is worse texturing than in DOA5, let that sink in for a while.

46756463701_e2ccc5ed96_o.png

I really hope that was only due to them keeping the file size low in the beta, but honestly, I am not holding my breath. :/
There were also some graphical errors to be found on the models, like this weird pixelation on hair. This really needs to be gone in the final game, otherwise that is just shoddy work.

dwadcf4wa9ktl33zg.jpg

On a purely artistical level, and here it get's very subjective, I was also partly pleased, partly disappointed. Hayabusa's new suit looked great (it was the one costume that also showed texture work worthy of this console generation), Hayate's and Ayane's new default costumes were imo also well designed, interesting and detailed.
Kasumi's new default suit looks awful however. I find it ugly and boring. That's not how you design the new default costume for the main protagonist of a series. Thankfully her iconic blue garb is still in the game and thankfully one also can save customization loadouts, so I don't have to see the ugly, new suit often.
The colosseum stage I thought was okay. It has some nice ideas, like the giant phemes (goddesses of fame and renown) surrounding the stage, but outside the ring and winged goddesses the stage looks sterile and flat. This is one of the aspects where DOA6 is outclassed by T7 and SC6. They boast beatifully detailed and atmospheric stages, even if blurred beyond recognition, lol.

Last but not least I want to mention the lighting and shading on characters' skin. I personally don't like it. It's too bright, too yellow-ish and the characters' skin shines under it as if it was greased with bacon. I much prefer the a bit darker but overall warmer and more pleasing lighting of DOA5LR. I think characters like Kasumi look way prettier in it:

u57avb4d9q8jmotzg.jpg

I also find DOA5 Kasumi's pointier chin and thicker eyebrows more attractive than DOA6 Kasumi's rounder chin and thinner eyebrows, but that's, as I mentioned before, very subjective.

Last edited:

Macca Beam

i think pointy chin is fine in itself (great, even, considering all the square chins and jaws in character design lately), just that recent doa games do this bizarre thing where the face looks like a thin V shape leading to the chin. doa5 kokoro and itagaki's games got the young asian face right, since it's pointy chin on a round face

i don't see you mention the gloss, did they do something about it in the beta yet?

Tyaren

Standard Donor
In my opinion, I still think Dead or alive 6 graphics are better than Mortal Kombat 11. I don’t know, Sonya graphics are not popping enough. She kinda looks like a toy action figure.View attachment 27266View attachment 27267

tenor.gif

See, this is what I was talking about in my "review". There are objective flaws, technical in nature, and there are subjective flaws, mostly artistical. Technical is wrong male anatomy or poor texture quality, artistical is me not liking the yellow-ish hue of the lighting or the shape and proportion of Kasumi's face.
You saying "the graphics of DOA6 are better than MK11", because you don't like the look of Sonya is subjective. (I by the way don't like her either, lol. At first I was thinking: Why is she so unattractive when Injustice 2 girls were attractive while also looking very realistic? Then they revealed she was based on a real actress/fighter...)
MK11 frankly trumps DOA 6's graphics in every regard. (Well, maybe not the combat animations.) There's no real competition. I was expecting to be wowed by highly detailed and polished character modelling, facial animations, stages and fantastic lighting and particle effects and I still was wowed by the presentation last night. It's the by far best graphics of all fighters this generation, but it's no wonder. They probably spent more time and money polishing that aspect of the game than DOA6 and DOA5 combined cost in their entirety. NetherRealm fighters are the best selling fighters by far and on top of that they have WB's might and money behind them.
Though we'll have to wait and see what the game does look on consoles, especially on Switch. Remember, they finally moved over to Unreal Engine 4 and we all know how that engine fares when not supported by a beefy PC. We just need to look over to Tekken 7 and SoulCalibur 6. So I am a bit worried it might not reach Injustice 2's flawless presentation on base consoles, because that was developed in UE3, which was at that point highly optimized for weaker console hardware and the game was primarily developed for weaker consoles first and beefy PCs second.

Cadaveri

Might just be very biased opinion, but I dont't like the look for their characters that much, meh :d .. Never really digged the whole MK franchise either though lol

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Might just be very biased opinion, but I dont't like the look for their characters that much, meh :d .. Never really digged the whole MK franchise either though lol

I don't either. XD I was yesterday saying to @Jadeinchains how equally amazed I was by MK11 technical, graphical brilliance and by how repulsed I was by the game's artistical direction and goriness. I wonder if I will buy it. I'd liked to be floored by at least one excellent looking fighter this generation, which was disappointing so far, but the goriness and ugly character designs... :/

Last edited:

Leifang

tenor.gif

See, this is what I was talking about in my "review". There are objective flaws, technical in nature, and there are subjective flaws, mostly artistical. Technical is wrong male anatomy or poor texture quality, artistical is me not liking the yellow-ish hue of the lighting or the shape and proportion of Kasumi's face.
You saying "the graphics of DOA6 are better than MK11", because you don't like the look of Sonya is subjective. (I by the way don't like her either, lol. At first I was thinking: Why is she so unattractive when Injustice 2 girls were attractive while also looking very realistic. Then they revealed she was based on a real actress/fighter...)
MK 11 frankly trumps DOA 6's graphics in every regard. (Well, maybe not the combat animations.) There's no real competition. I was expecting to be wowed by highly detailed and polished character modelling, facial animations, stages and fantastic lighting and particle effects and I still was wowed by the presentation last night. It's the by far best graphics of all fighters this generation, but it's no wonder. They probably spent more time and money polishing that aspect of the game than DOA6 and DOA5 combined cost in their entirety. NetherRealm fighters are the best selling fighters by far and on top of that they have WB's might and money behind them.
Though we'll have to wait and see what the game does look on consoles, especially on Switch. Remember, they finally moved over to Unreal Engine 4 and we all know how that engine fares when not supported by a beefy PC. We just need to look over to Tekken 7 and SoulCalibur 6. So I am a bit worried it might not reach Injustice 2's flawless presentation on base consoles, because that was developed in UE3, which was at that point highly optimized for weaker console hardware and the game was primarily developed for weaker consoles first and beefy PCs second.
I’m gonna make this simple, it has nothing to do with facial beauty. Sonya looks like an action figure and I don’t like how the graphics looks. We can agree to disagree. I stand by what I said, I like DOA6 graphics better.
1B5CBD03-8C9E-433A-A19F-B7808DD35E38.gif

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Last edited:

just_me

Standard Donor
NetherRealm fighters are the best selling fighters

Well, except for Smash… that one is in another league of its own. Pretty sure Smash will replace Tekken as the top-selling FG franchise with Ultimate…

Also did you Pixel count the resolution of DOA6 on PS4, or did you just “eyeball” it? They might also do some dynamic res scaling, but I guess only a DF video could shed some light on this.

This seems to be the reaction of most of us Europeans in the forum here… Everything about that game is just unappealing to me.

I stand by what I said, I like DOA6 graphics better.

You can like DOA6 graphics better, but MK11 is still better executed on a technical level. Objective art criticism is a thing.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Also did you Pixel count the resolution of DOA6 on PS4, or did you just “eyeball” it? They might also do some dynamic res scaling, but I guess only a DF video could shed some light on this.

I actually did, which is fairly easy, because of the aliasing, but admittedly only one screen and a win pose screen at that. During combat there might actually be some resolution scaling going on.

Haha, DF won't give DOA the time of day, lol. They were all over T7 and SC6 several times though. That does suck...

Jadeinchains

Might as well mention that Sonya is also around 50 years old now so she isn't exactly gonna look young etc. Skarlet who's not been mentioned is very beautiful looking too.

Also quite clearly I'm a massive MK fan so I'll just say I love what I've seen of MK11 the character designs look great and so do the stages, Others might not like it but I love that dark, grim look of MK. ( And the gory fatalities etc, Always been a fan of that. :p )

MK11 is definitely the best looking fighting game but personally imo I love the look of both MK11 and DoA6, They both have their own style and both look really great to me.

just_me

Standard Donor
I actually did, which is fairly easy, because of the aliasing, but admittedly only one screen and a win pose screen at that. During combat there might actually be some resolution scaling going on.

Haha, DF won't give DOA the time of day, lol, They were all over T7 and SC6 several times though.

Yeah… I thought about it as well, but since I have a Pro and it looked like 1080p, I just didn't bother XD

They did take a look at Nioh, but I guess the release window wasn't so cramped back then…

Jadeinchains

Not to be off topic but since people are mentioning MK11's graphics in reference to DoA6 and I mentioned her, I managed to find a pic of Skarlet in MK11 -
sonya-1547753169408.jpg

She looks so pretty! She also looks exactly like a certain famous person I just know she does but I can't remember who exactly lol now I'm gonna be trying to remember who. ( She actually looks a bit like Audrey Hepburn )

juliusxcix

In my opinion, I still think Dead or alive 6 graphics are better than Mortal Kombat 11. I don’t know, Sonya graphics are not popping enough. She kinda looks like a toy action figure.View attachment 27266View attachment 27267
yeah mk11’s graphics disappointed me. BUT they are way more consistent. the character models look just as good as the environment. doa6’s stages seem to vary. obviously theres no way to be sure until the game comes out. but i knew doa6 would have the best looking character models.

Dr PaC

As a huge fan of both games, I can admit that MK11 has the superior graphics over DOA, whom even with their limited budget, TN still managed to make the best looking 3d fighter when compared to SC and Tekken. But of all the fighters out there, NR is killing it. Its easy to see the money and resources NR has thanks to WB. Even if one could argue that both games have two different art styles, its the little things NR does a little better that put it above DOA, from the face acting to the lighting. Both games are beautiful looking, but NR one ups TN this console generation. And thats ok.

Leifang

yeah mk11’s graphics disappointed me. BUT they are way more consistent. the character models look just as good as the environment. doa6’s stages seem to vary. obviously theres no way to be sure until the game comes out. but i knew doa6 would have the best looking character models.
I agree, MK11 graphics disappointed me too. But you’re right, once the game is released we can give it proper judgement.

Leifang

I definitely see what you mean & agree, I think the only thing that Mortal Kombat has over the DOA6 character models is that they have more realism in theirs. Where as DOA still has that typical anime aesthetic with the bigger wide set eyes & cutesy features ( the girls mostly), apart from that the games look really great in their own right. Unlike Tekken 7 with the swollen roided up wide bodies, pin heads, big hands and feet. Yeesh they just look like Street Fighter V characters but created with more time & budget. I genuinely dislike how they all look like now, old Tekken art style FTW.
You’re right, another thing Mortal Kombat 11 have over DOA6, are their stage texture. All that dark shadowing, really helps it out. Where DOA6 stages are too bright or lacking details. At any case, I’m thankful you understand where I’m coming from.

SaihateDYNAMO

MK11 graphics quality is... weird so far. On a technical standpoint, it's stunning what NRS is capable of doing compared to the fighting game competition like their facial animations, but the art style they use ingame is straight-up fugly imo. .Just because a game looks good doesn't mean it LOOKS good, if that makes any sense, and I think people call their games' style uncanny valley because NRS likes to model their characters off of average people in an attempt to make their characters look real, but in actuality it just makes them look creepy because they never do it right. I'm just really confused as to how NRS can drop the ball on their modern, "realistic" Mortal Kombat when the series originally consisted of digitized pictures of real people.

I'm not really a fan of MK/Injustice or how it looks. It's just not my cup of tea i guess.
Tekken 7 with the swollen roided up wide bodies, pin heads, big hands and feet. Yeesh they just look like Street Fighter V characters but created with more time & budget. I genuinely dislike how they all look like now, old Tekken art style FTW.
Tekken is a mess too lol. I despise how they gave Lili, Asuka, Anna, and Xiao facial reconstruction surgery in an effort to make them look younger, and more "anime" for a lack of a better word. I'm glad Christie's not coming to T7 so I won't have to witness my fave's face get mangled too. It also doesn't help that they slap hi-res textures, like the skin and hair for example, on PS3-quality models and try to pass it off as something presentable because it doesn't look good at all. Besides the Play-doh hair that clips through everything and some ugly faces I actually don't mind SFV's looks because they make it work with the overall vibe that the game gives off.
Also I don't really think DOA looks anime anymore which is why i think nico's C1 was a mistake and caused her to stick out like a sore thumb. 5 and 6 managed to blend realism and anime in a pretty good way, and to me it pulls off a realistic style better than MK because it's not trying too hard to have their cast look like real people, something that most games nowadays really shouldn't be trying to do because limitations will almost always get in the way. If you're intending to base a game's look off of realism you have to go all out or it looks half-assed which kinda applies to NRS right now.

TN should definitely get at least some credit for making the DOA6 character models look as good as they do with the budget that they're running off of. If they had a Mortal Kombat-level budget, it would be over for the competition because then they could actually make the stages look nice too...

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD