DOA6 interviews

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
Hayabusa isn't a guest in DoA, he's been in it from the very start.

They introduced him as a character from Ninja Gaiden. That sounds suspiciously like a guest. He started in another game, that makes him a guest. Team NINJA writing rules on the fly whenever they feel like it and that's why I call them poor excuses. The retcons and cherry picking from the story is another example of Team NINJA just doing whatever.

N1ce Dreams

They introduced him as a character from Ninja Gaiden. That sounds suspiciously like a guest. He started in another game, that makes him a guest. Team NINJA writing rules on the fly whenever they feel like it and that's why I call them poor excuses. The retcons and cherry picking from the story is another example of Team NINJA just doing whatever.
He's been in all the games from the start, he plays a massive part of the Ninjas story. Come on bro, that's not a guest or even close to it.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
He's been in all the games from the start, he plays a massive part of the Ninjas story. Come on bro, that's not a guest or even close to it.

He's been a guest from Ninja Gaiden for a very long time, and they managed to make him a part of the story. It seems like we both understand each other perfectly.

Xhominid The Demon Within

Momiji was one of the most popular characters in Japan. I'm not big on her, but I do like Rachel because she's a female/heavy and the game could use at least one more. Once again you can't call them guest characters without calling Ryu one and he became a mainstay just fine. A true guest means you are signing a deal with another company to bring the character in.

It's a stupid argument. I'll say it once and say it again. Everyone is happy in smash because everyone got their character. DOA6 is essentially another take on DOA5s engine. It shouldn't be a big deal at all to bring them in. Especially when it appears that Nyo-Tengu has very little new move list by the looks of it from DOA5.

The reason is obvious why they want to go this route: They want to focus on the Story first and foremost and have it front and center and have all of the playable characters that have some stakes be playable first.

Momiji and Rachel, as popular as they are, is still in the same general area as Kasumi and Ayane are in Ninja Gaiden: Guest characters that don't matter in the story because they would ultimately take too much away from Ryu. I think Team Ninja realized that which is why they aren't permanent characters here or won't get any real significant story presence as we will get more Ninja Gaiden in DOA and thus take away from Kasumi's story(which is already on bad ground since well... Ryu is in it and he pretty much makes M.I.S.T. look like a bunch of bitches compared to what he contends with daily).

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
Right the story determines everything. The story should include a ground game that's functional and works.

Baji Breakdancer

When it comes down to it, TN didn’t want to put Momiji & Rachel in the game for a variety of reasons, I don’t see what’s so confounding about this. You don’t have to like it, but it’s not exactly mysterious.

It doesn’t matter how we interpret the definition of “guest character,” if TN never viewed them as integral to what they wanted to do with DOA, then that’s that. I’d rather effort be placed on new characters that the team created from the ground up for DOA than having them half heartedly include ones that were determined by fan vote.

Also people are acting like they’re gone forever, and we don’t even know that. They’re just not there at launch, because they don’t have priority over DOA characters. I think we gotta chill out.

NewWestFan

Premium Donor
It doesn’t matter how we interpret the definition of “guest character,” if TN never viewed them as integral to what they wanted to do with DOA, then that’s that.
Quoted because this should really be the end of discussion when it comes to this train of thought. This is factual. Shimbori is the law when it comes to this franchise just as Harada is with his. If Shimbori refers to them as guest characters in interviews, that's 100% factually what they are.

SaihateDYNAMO

Quoted because this should really be the end of discussion when it comes to this train of thought. This is factual. Shimbori is the law when it comes to this franchise just as Harada is with his. If Shimbori refers to them as guest characters in interviews, that's 100% factually what they are.
That will give the Momiji people more reason to hate Shimbori. “How dare he consider a fan favorite character a guest! He’s selfish and does not care about his fans! Guess I won’t be buying DOA6 after all”

Baji Breakdancer

I'm still so confused by this alleged popular need for Momiji as DOA fighter. She's already in the Xtreme series and Ninja Gaiden, that's two of the three main TN titles. And like I said, I'm still unconvinced she was comparatively popular amongst people actually playing DOA proper.

Also if you look at those Twitter comments it's like the same four people over and over again. And they're never talking about her fighting mechanics, just that they want to look at her again. Rachel was way more popular and played in DOA5LR, but you don't see half the clamor for her on there. The whole thing seems fishy.

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
When it comes down to it, TN didn’t want to put Momiji & Rachel in the game for a variety of reasons, I don’t see what’s so confounding about this. You don’t have to like it, but it’s not exactly mysterious.

It doesn’t matter how we interpret the definition of “guest character,” if TN never viewed them as integral to what they wanted to do with DOA, then that’s that. I’d rather effort be placed on new characters that the team created from the ground up for DOA than having them half heartedly include ones that were determined by fan vote.

Also people are acting like they’re gone forever, and we don’t even know that. They’re just not there at launch, because they don’t have priority over DOA characters. I think we gotta chill out.
You know what they say about Momiji and Zafina fans, class... :)

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
I'm still so confused by this alleged popular need for Momiji as DOA fighter. She's already in the Xtreme series and Ninja Gaiden, that's two of the three main TN titles. And like I said, I'm still unconvinced she was comparatively popular amongst people actually playing DOA proper.

Also if you look at those Twitter comments it's like the same four people over and over again. And they're never talking about her fighting mechanics, just that they want to look at her again. Rachel was way more popular and played in DOA5LR, but you don't see half the clamor for her on there. The whole thing seems fishy.

I've said this before: Don't worry about other people requesting characters. You aren't going to change their mind and we are all happy for you that you got the one you were looking for. I've been requesting her for a very long time and I've seen far more than 4 people. You're being condescending.

AND with Momiji, she is in DOA5 as a fighter. Maybe that's where your confusion from. It's called good branding... and with DOA5 they had it. It's not like the assets are not on the table for them to dip into and there is no signing deal to worry about. Nintendo did it right with Smash Bros making everyone happy.

No it's not. The fighters and people that buy the game are the law, because if it doesn't do well there wont be another. It's not a threat, I'm not going to not buy the game because of it. More characters, more options = a better game.

I see people in interviews asking the question over and over, and tons of people are requesting her and here comes some person that thinks it's all alleged or a lie. lmao

I'm more triggered by people that don't want me to be happy with my favorite character more than Shimbor's stupid decision of not bringing them in when all DOA6 is anyway is a different take on DOA5 and a few animation twists would make them both eligible. I'm also talking about Leon and Ein.

Baji Breakdancer

Also DOA isn't Smash Bros. The implementation and balance of each character takes way more resources compared to having six different Marios who have all the same button commands. A fighting game like DOA demands a lot of care and attention to each fighter and how they measure against one another, and if you want a game like DOA to be balanced and competitive, a bloated roster should be avoided.

I liked playing Rachel a lot and would like to see her in DOA6, but not at the expense of balance or Team Ninja's creative vision. I want a good game first and foremost, even if that means *possibly* not seeing a favorite in the game. What I love about Team Ninja is that at their best, they make games that have a vision, and aren't just a big company (cough Bandai Namco) punching in numbers to see what people want to buy the most.

Onryoki

Standard Donor
He also, said Leon was basically considered a guest character. So that means Leon is a guest character now, even though he’s from the same series.
You know what they say about Momiji and Zafina fans, class... :)
Hey! Don’t put me in the same boat as them! I love Momiji, I did since the moment I played her but I’m not like them :(
I've said this before: Don't worry about other people requesting characters. You aren't going to change their mind and we are all happy for you that you got the one you were looking for. I've been requesting her for a very long time and I've seen far more than 4 people. You're being condescending.

AND with Momiji, she is in DOA5 as a fighter. Maybe that's where your confusion from. It's called good branding... and with DOA5 they had it. It's not like the assets are not on the table for them to dip into and there is no signing deal to worry about. Nintendo did it right with Smash Bros making everyone happy.

No it's not. The fighters and people that buy the game are the law, because if it doesn't do well there wont be another. It's not a threat, I'm not going to not buy the game because of it. More characters, more options = a better game.

I see people in interviews asking the question over and over, and tons of people are requesting her and here comes some person that thinks it's all alleged or a lie. lmao

I'm more triggered by people that don't want me to be happy with my favorite character more than Shimbor's stupid decision of not bringing them in when all DOA6 is anyway is a different take on DOA5 and a few animation twists would make them both eligible. I'm also talking about Leon and Ein.
I’m sorry but more characters don’t automatically mean a game is gonna be better. A game can have a huge roster and can still suck big hairy balls. A good game requires good marketing, good representation, good gameplay, a good plot and last but not least a good game requires a reason for people to play the game again. Honey, I truly understand your loss because Momiji was one of my mains and I love her to death. But... (there’s a big but here ;)) We need to accept that they’re not in, Shimbori had his reasons for them not making the cut, same with irrelevant character 1, 2 and Gen Fu. Momiji and Rachel will most definitely return, but they weren’t added to the base roster because they won’t play a role in the DOA plot, which is perfectly fine since they both have their duties in the NG universe. They will return so don’t worry ❤️

Brute

Standard Donor
Shimbori is "the law," but the law is pretty tentative and indecisive, so if you want to try your hand at influencing the law, go for it.

That said, there is a reason that those Momiji petitioners aren't citing her garbage moveset as the source of their passion.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
Shimbori is "the law," but the law is pretty tentative and indecisive, so if you want to try your hand at influencing the law, go for it.

That said, there is a reason that those Momiji petitioners aren't citing her garbage moveset as the source of their passion.

I am not petitioning Momiji, but I don't think her movelist is garbage. I think unorthodox is the word you are looking for.

Brute

Standard Donor
I am not petitioning Momiji, but I don't think her movelist is garbage. I think unorthodox is the word you are looking for.
No. Garbage is the word I was looking for. It's a jumbled mess of borrowed moves and stiff animations that formed no cohesion aesthetically or gameplay-wise. Her only unique quality was how disproportionately cheesy she was online thanks to her awful hitbox/hurtbox dynamics and the artificially enforced screen-clearing 50/50s.

Keep in mind that I'm not blindly hating on the character. As a fan of Momiji from Ninja Gaiden, I was a vocal advocate for her inclusion since the vanilla days of DOA5, and was quite excited when 5U was teased with both her and Leon. Then she finally arrived, and she was a putrid mess. "Aikido" my ass.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD