DOA6 Sexualization Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
He’s upset that he have find another fighting game to jerk off to. I’m happy if he doesn’t buy 6, DOA6 really is pervert repellent lmao.
I can't speak for everyone, but I'm one of the most open perverts out there, and I'm okay with this direction it's taking. The only thing that's gonna keep me from playing it now is if Christie is removed from the roster. And even then, I'd support the game in another way.

Considering they're releasing this early next year and they want to avoid compromising costume selection should the game make it to televised eSports like tourney players had to do with certain female characters in SF5, one would think the fans who embraced the sexual stigma would be more understanding of why TN is doing this.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
DOA's issue with specialization has always been its marketing and it's limited its audiences where as other developers can have the same level of fanservice and still not drive people away like DOA's has. they don't really have to change that much in game to get that desired effect.

The female characters standard costumes have always been good and nowhere as bad as Cammy or Ivy's.

Raansu

Here is a piece of My opinion in from eventhubs (TrueGamingGuru): When I first saw that there was trailer for DOA6, the game did looked pretty cool and looked promising. But when this article came to existence, this honestly would make Me feel more worried about their direction.

Wasn't that something that DOA5 previously did? If going for a less sexualized approach is whats going to happen for this game. Then I'll make a conscious decision to not buy DOA6, and let that game flopped. From someone who bought the collectors edition of DOA5, buying their DLC, going to tournaments to give sex appeal fighter support, and spent $404.89 on DOAX3 from Play-Asia this is a huge slap to face, DOA EVO Showdown 2018 might be the last time I'd DOA support.

That is what I have to say, even if DOA decides to try their less sexualized approach again (like DOA5 tried) there are other games that can provide similar content what DOA use to did like Tekken 7, & SCVI.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but this seems really silly to me. DoA is still DoA. Why would you not buy a fun fighting game just because they want to take a more serious approach and not have over the top costumes and boobs all up in your face? Its not like they are going to make the female characters unattractive. The image of Kasumi looks amazing.

It just seems strange to me.

Tyaren

Standard Donor

There's also tons of stuff like this online:

DfMbEgOW0AAgCi4.jpg:large

This though, lol:

DfQhg5vWsAAgsip.jpg:large

Kasumi-Phase-X

Well, they say that a picture is worth a thousand words, so an animated gif containing multiple images in sequence should be the equivalent of a moderately-sized essay.

Is that all you have to post about My opinion?

Well then we got nothing much to talk about.

DOA is Pegi 16 so kids shouldn’t even be playing it in the first place.
I love DOA as well but that doesn’t mean the over the top sex appeal belonged in a fighting game. The sexy stuff should be reserved for the DOAX series since that’s what it’s for.

Yeah, age ratings exist for a reason along with content that caters to people who are teen & adult age which makes videogames become more than Atari & classic Nintendo days. Part of the stuff you posted I honestly don't belive you love DOA, and would want something similar in gameplay just with a new name. What gets you to decide what doesn't belong in fighting games? Fighting games are videogames, over the top sex appeal has its place in videogames, anime, manga, comics, TV, movies. My god your prudish.

DOAX is part of the DOA brand which created the label as "pervert" game, TN could've done themselves the favor and not make DOA6 as the "cool & mature (in a non sexual way)" game, and let DOA6 been the ecchi fighting game while a new title takes its place to appeal to the western crowd. DOA5 had such a huge set of DLC content from 2012-2017, and grew 10 million downloads. DOA6 could've just keep its content and make some improvements to make it better than the previous.

@Martin @Barrogh

Who honestly knows if they'll keep sex appeal in tact, based on IGN & Famitsu doesn't really help the matters along with DOAX3 Asia only release, Berserks Wet Casca DLC only in JPN release as playable costume, Blue Reflection Model Viewer in Japanese release (free camera movement being able to see their panties), DOAX Venus Vactation Japan only, and DOA5 Mobile censored costumes. So far I'd have a better chance seeing My content again if I decided to boycott DOA6 maybe see a spiritual successor of a new game that has the content DOA use to have (similar to Mighty No. 9 for Mega Man), or if Team Ninja took a stepback due to the complaints.

@HHH816

Assuming DOA6 will get different versions in each region, which I see very less likely to happen.

I can't speak for everyone, but I'm one of the most open perverts out there, and I'm okay with this direction it's taking. The only thing that's gonna keep me from playing it now is if Christie is removed from the roster. And even then, I'd support the game in another way.

Considering they're releasing this early next year and they want to avoid compromising costume selection should the game make it to televised eSports like tourney players had to do with certain female characters in SF5, one would think the fans who embraced the sexual stigma would be more understanding of why TN is doing this.

Which being televised is something I wish never happen for SFV and DOA6 unless broadcast are willing to show what the game's content has. I wish videogames weren't mainstream at all, and only cater to niche. For Me I enter DOA tournaments to give the series I love & care about support, maybe hope DOA can remain with its sex appeal and be a game worth playing. If Team Ninja wanted to move away from it, I would've prefer if they didn't make DOA6 considering the past games to DOA5 DLC support.
Maybe I'm just getting old, but this seems really silly to me. DoA is still DoA. Why would you not buy a fun fighting game just because they want to take a more serious approach and not have over the top costumes and boobs all up in your face? Its not like they are going to make the female characters unattractive. The image of Kasumi looks amazing.

It just seems strange to me.

Being old should be the least of concerns, it should be how much you even care about what I prefer from the DOA series. I want you to go to read My previous comment located in Page 15, comment #284, Today (6/9) at 4:03 AM there you'll find My reason. What is DOA to you? To Me DOA is the game series that plays similar to VF with counter mechanics, with multi-tier stages, stage hazards, beautiful/cute/sexy looking female characters, outfits from full clothed to skimpy, with optional breast physics, with changing colors of bras & panties, characters with their unique stories, and story mode with more focus on ninjas plus Helena.

If I wanted a fighting game with a serious approach, not have over the top costumes, and boobs all up in your face I wouldn't even be playing DOA at all and not waste My life with Me supporting or spending money on DOA in the first place. I love playing games with skimpy girls, with plenty of risque content, along with a game that is fun to play. DOA6 to Me is like Ninja Gaiden 3 with less blood and decapitations, its like Mortal Kombat with less gore, no X-Rays, and toned down fatalities. At best DOA6 is a disappointment, at worst I wish they made a different game along with make DOA Japan & Asia exclusive. I just don't like stuff that appeals to Me being toned down just to cater a markent that didn't like that content in the first place, and I hope you get a good read from comment #284.

PS. Yes Kasumi does look amazing

Raansu

Being old should be the least of concerns, it should be how much you even care about what I prefer from the DOA series. I want you to go to read My previous comment located in Page 15, comment #284, Today (6/9) at 4:03 AM there you'll find My reason. What is DOA to you? To Me DOA is the game series that plays similar to VF with counter mechanics, with multi-tier stages, stage hazards, beautiful/cute/sexy looking female characters, outfits from full clothed to skimpy, with optional breast physics, with changing colors of bras & panties, characters with their unique stories, and story mode with more focus on ninjas plus Helena.

If I wanted a fighting game with a serious approach, not have over the top costumes, and boobs all up in your face I wouldn't even be playing DOA at all and not waste My life with Me supporting or spending money on DOA in the first place. I love playing games with skimpy girls, with plenty of risque content, along with a game that is fun to play. DOA6 to Me is like Ninja Gaiden 3 with less blood and decapitations, its like Mortal Kombat with less gore, no X-Rays, and toned down fatalities. At best DOA6 is a disappointment, at worst I wish they made a different game along with make DOA Japan & Asia exclusive. I just don't like stuff that appeals to Me being toned down just to cater a markent that didn't like that content in the first place, and I hope you get a good read from comment #284.

PS. Yes Kasumi does look amazing

Sorry, I just cant grasp this concept at all outside of just being creepy. DoA is a fighting game first and foremost, it always has been. There's nothing wrong with enjoying eye candy in a game, but what you're on about is a level I don't want to understand.

Kasumi-Phase-X

Sorry, I just cant grasp this concept at all outside of just being creepy. DoA is a fighting game first and foremost, it always has been. There's nothing wrong with enjoying eye candy in a game, but what you're on about is a level I don't want to understand.

The concept shouldn't be that hard to grasp since this was part of fighting series, from someone who knows the series pretty well from what games has to offer from DOA1-DOA5LR. Yes DOA is a fighting game first, but you can't deny what I just posted about "what DOA is to Me" is accurate to the games content. If this is creepy and I'm on a level you don't want to understand, sorry but thats what I see in DOA. Maybe you'd be better off living under the family friendly Atari and Nintendo Entertainment System era. Well nice chatting with ya.

Brute

Standard Donor
I honestly don't belive you love DOA
you can't deny what I just posted about "what DOA is to Me" is accurate to the games content. If this is creepy and I'm on a level you don't want to understand, sorry but thats what I see in DOA.

When you pull the "this is what it is to me" card, you can't also pull the "others aren't true fans for valuing different elements" card. That's why no one takes you seriously. If you're obsessed with sex stuff and lose interest in the series if that's not there in the volume you like then fine, knock yourself out and don't support this entry. But when you insist that other people aren't true fans of the series simply because different elements of the series appealed to them, you just look like an utter loon.

Let me address your retort preemptively: "But the things I value have always been a part of the series, so they're essential to it!" Well, with that logic you can argue a lot of dumb points. For example:

I don't belive you love DOA because you never once mentioned the value of wake-up kicks or stages with metal floors, and you can't deny they are accurate to the games' content since the first entry. Wake-up kicks and metal floors mean everything in DOA and if you don't agree with me, you must not love DOA. If this is creepy and I'm on a level you don't want to understand, sorry but thats what I see in DOA.

A true fan would be primarily focused with wake-up kicks and stages with metal floors. Anyone else would want something similar in lewdness just with a new name. What gets you to decide what doesn't belong in fighting games? Fighting games are videogames, wake up kicks and metal floors have their place in videogames, anime, manga, comics, TV, movies. My god your lecherous.

Xhominid The Demon Within

When you pull the "this is what it is to me" card, you can't also pull the "others aren't true fans for valuing different elements" card. That's why no one takes you seriously. If you're obsessed with sex stuff and lose interest in the series if that's not there in the volume you like then fine, knock yourself out and don't support this entry. But when you insist that other people aren't true fans of the series simply because different elements of the series appealed to them, you just look like an utter loon.

Let me address your retort preemptively: "But the things I value have always been a part of the series, so they're essential to it!" Well, with that logic you can argue a lot of dumb points. For example:

I don't belive you love DOA because you never once mentioned the value of wake-up kicks or stages with metal floors, and you can't deny they are accurate to the games' content since the first entry. Wake-up kicks and metal floors mean everything in DOA and if you don't agree with me, you must not love DOA. If this is creepy and I'm on a level you don't want to understand, sorry but thats what I see in DOA.

A true fan would be primarily focused with wake-up kicks and stages with metal floors. Anyone else would want something similar in lewdness just with a new name. What gets you to decide what doesn't belong in fighting games? Fighting games are videogames, wake up kicks and metal floors have their place in videogames, anime, manga, comics, TV, movies. My god your lecherous.

I honestly feel like his biggest problem is that he doesn't realize how far DOA5LR was compared to any other part of the game in the series in terms of fanservice. It was at peak oversaturation levels.

DOA5 Vanilla was great for what it was at the start with a good variety of costumes and even the DLC had a great variety of costumes for both males and females. The problem with started with Ultimate in that it started only started making DLC for the females, went even further with the fanservice and they rarely did anything else while people asked. Even the DOA Team was exasperated with doing nothing more than fanservice DLC. Last Round is where it went completely wrong as we kept CONTINUING to rarely get any DLC for males, constant fanservice outfits for the females and past Raidou, all of the DLC characters gotten was female.

Even the small tidbits to sell the game kept on going on and on and on about the LR Soft Engine rather than the gameplay.
It's not even close to the "She Kicks High" or any Japanese commercial for DOA4 because for all of it's "fanservice", there was not many costumes and it was still a good variety. Even the Age thing was never really advertised in DOA2 and was nothing more than a sheer easter egg.

So yeah, I honestly feel like he really doesn't understand how bad it is to fans who just want it to be taken more seriously.

Kasumi-Phase-X

The whole "this is what it is to me" was just a poor choice of word on My part, I could've just said this is what "DOA is", plus everyone is going to think differently what DOA is or have different ideas so I wind up "what it is to me", which will be something I would try to be careful on how I say what DOA is.

Even if I didn't question anyone's love for a game along with trying to describe what a series is, I don't expect everyone to take Me serious from people who likely have other priorities for the new installment and not care how much content (that has no effect to the gameplay) while I respond to certain line about trying to be mature (in non sexual manner) saying how this is a slap to the face from someone who spent money on these guys and been going to tournaments for My own goal, even if I were to give a reason why I care about this stuff.

What I care about is not toning stuff down just to cater to the ones that feel embarrassed by its content, and making decisions that moves away from how they manage to make tons of DLC content how have they been getting money (with some improvements). Like keeping its content the way it was, just with improvements like more unique designs and make generic outfits as one costume (instead of more for each character). I want the videogames to evolve to include stuff that we would've got censored or not released because of certain content, not this "mature" nonsense which is more for normie taste.

I honestly feel like his biggest problem is that he doesn't realize how far DOA5LR was compared to any other part of the game in the series in terms of fanservice. It was at peak oversaturation levels.

DOA5 Vanilla was great for what it was at the start with a good variety of costumes and even the DLC had a great variety of costumes for both males and females. The problem with started with Ultimate in that it started only started making DLC for the females, went even further with the fanservice and they rarely did anything else while people asked. Even the DOA Team was exasperated with doing nothing more than fanservice DLC. Last Round is where it went completely wrong as we kept CONTINUING to rarely get any DLC for males, constant fanservice outfits for the females and past Raidou, all of the DLC characters gotten was female.

Even the small tidbits to sell the game kept on going on and on and on about the LR Soft Engine rather than the gameplay.
It's not even close to the "She Kicks High" or any Japanese commercial for DOA4 because for all of it's "fanservice", there was not many costumes and it was still a good variety. Even the Age thing was never really advertised in DOA2 and was nothing more than a sheer easter egg.

So yeah, I honestly feel like he really doesn't understand how bad it is to fans who just want it to be taken more seriously.

Actually its that I learn to accept the game for what it is and not care what these people who couldn't take a game serious just because of the sexual designs. Plus I have My goal for wanting the game to be enjoyed for what it was without toning the content down. I do understand how it feels of DOA not being taken more seriously because I've been arguing with other members in eventubs and eventually decided to start showing up in DOA tournaments (I go once a year) until I met someone in eventhubs went to his blog site to get away from dummies in eventhubs (also disappeared from FSD as well), and been watching videos of youtubers criticizing articles or other people which I started to gain more self confidence. My concern is how people react to sexual content which isn't just a DOA problem coming from fanart, SF swimsuit comics, SFV DLC, & SNK Heroines which these are people not worth pleasing.

The stuff you were talking about DOA5 DLC method through out its life span I actually agree on DOA started with having a good variety of costumes for males and females. Even some of DOA costume themes (not counting first parties, third parties, & halloween) were more generic in design which would've been perfect for a customization system. All DOA needs to do is just make more unique designs, more male costumes, and make generics as one costume to customize.

werewolfgold

Just to get something off my chest here, when I see comments like "I only play DOA for the boobs and women. If I wanted to play a real fighting game, I'd play Tekken or (insert game of choice)" and "DOA has nothing to offer since they're toning down the sexiness", it actually makes me angry. Like, not just angry personally, but angry for the people making the game. I'd be the first to say that the reputation that DOA has gotten is 80 or 90-ish% the fault of the development and marketing choices they made, so they reap what they sow. But, DOA has quite a few cool things going for it, especially when it comes to spectacle and gameplay.

If I were in their position and wanted to alter the direction slightly because of x/y/z reasons, and people came at me with "Your game is worth nothing without the boobs", I'd have a strong urge to just say "Bye, Felicia." I'd be hella insulted. Because...really? You're going to be that shallow about it? DOA isn't a "real" fighting game? What if they want it to be a "real" fighting game? Are they not allowed? People aren't even going to give the damn thing a chance? I hate to bring out the "you were never a real fan card" but...

I'm just sick of the knee-jerk bullshit that happens on the internet all the time. The devs specifically said that it's not like they're not removing all sex appeal from the game and still people are whining about burkas and SJWs and censorship and all sorts of nonsense. Can people just wait to see more before completely writing the game off? Can people reserve judgment a tad? I know it's too much to ask of the internet. But, it's so tiring. And it's all so ridiculous that any perceived inch of clothing coverage is a loss in some stupid war against "SJWs" and any inch of skin showing is a fuck you to "SJWs". How are people just so amped up about this stuff all the time? Like, damn.

Banana56

I don’t think anyone legit plays DOA solely for the fanservice. It can be nice to look at, but it’s not a need for me. And too much fanservice could make it loose it’s charm.

I could honestly live without the over the top fanservice. But seeing as we live in a very Anita Sarkeesian like period, I could as to why certain people want to stick strongly towards it.

Fanservice in general is not going anywhere, I’m sure there will at least be one dlc pack made towards the female cast to get pre orders up. Even if it isn’t too fanservicey, like the idol & racer costumes for example.

Dionysus

Werewolf has it right. People have become so obsessed with this 'free speech', 'SJW' stuff that they themselves have become a force that attacks developer choice; I.E. the very thing they claim to defend. That's because they don't even recognize the possibility of a developer making a choice to reduce sexualisation, show less skin or whatever. The worldview that makes this 'SJW' strawman up is so totalising that any choice in this direction is not recognized at all; it must be the 'SJWs', because they seem to find the idea of a developer wanting to do this totally inconceivable...

It's easy to say you support 'developer choice' when you only recognize choices in the direction you want in the first place. In this case though it's even more bizarre. TN is a Japanese company first and foremost. At other times, these people praise Japan for not having these movements. But now, it has to be strong enough to force TN to do this; even though the fact that they already tried to in 5 and stopped for profit reasons alone pretty much proves that they want to be more 'respectable' but are restricted by A: the unfortunate fact that sex sells, and B: weird fundamentalists like this.

I didn't want to make my first large post about this culture war nonsense, but like so many games today, we can't even seem to get a launch announcement and a teaser trailer before the bells start ringing for it. Well, I think the whole thing is stupid anyway; because regardless of what fearmongerers might say, there will still be fanservice anyway. Well, that's my opinion anyway.

just_me

Standard Donor
I'm actually kinda impressed that TN managed to stir up yet another tempest in a teacup regarding its sexualization lol
This time from the “other side” I guess…

When pressed on the costume stuff they should have just said some standardized PR stuff like “We are committed to providing a wide variety of outfits. We hope there will be something for everyone”. That's what's most likely to happen anyway… There is no way the won't do costume DLC and there is no way they won't tap into the massive pool of designs they already have. So there will be a swimsuit sooner or later.
I'm like 99.999% confident that none of this would have happened without the statement from the IGN hands-on since you can't possibly infer from the trailer and the screenshot that DoA is turning anything down lol
Kasumi is still a big-tiddy Ninja girl in a skin-tight suit (and heels) and the central part of Helena's character image is the hole in her dress showing her cleavage…

Anyway… I think the game looked promising on the IGN stream. Too bad it wasn't live gameplay, or at least a longer gameplay loop.
The interview was kinda meh though… but these live translated interviews are always a bit of a mess imo.

Hopefully, we'll get something interesting on the 11th.

Watching how and if TN will “course correct” given the reaction to the material shown so far might be interesting as well XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD