DOA6 Sexualization Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Princeofhalcyon

Well first of all nobody said it only takes a game to be respectable to be successful. But it is a component.
Moreover when I google image dead or alive, the 90% of first 50 images are swimsuit pictures. When I google tekken there is a variety of images, but mostly the Michimas, when I google Soul Calibur a minority of the images are sexual. I believe TN are trying to reach this balance.

I feel like most of that has to do with how long doa5 has been being supported and getting so much dlc. Doa was probably overshadowed a few times by other games to. That happens in the shooter market as well.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I feel like most of that has to do with how long doa5 has been being supported and getting so much dlc. Doa was probably overshadowed a few times by other games to. That happens in the shooter market as well.

DOA was overshadowed by majority of the FGs on every type of iterations. Not to mention that it's a 3D fighter which is one of the weaker exposure genres with DOA being at the rough bottom.

What people seem to forget is that there are multiple ways for consumers to not try the game. They do not play the game because it's either the continuous fanservice to take it serious, or because they do not like the game's mechanics. DOA is roughly the only 3D fighter that tries to be it's own thing while using the fanservice as the means of scapegoating it's consumers to go in (which works, but not it's own thing idea) and the lucky part is that the game is fun. If the game wasn't fun it'll be more overshadowed by the masses. I've been playing the game since DOA2 and got involved with the community and tournament scene in DOA3 from there so I do believe what people said about DOA always getting backlashed and tough to take serious that's been going on long this site even existed. With the power of technology, social media, collaborations, and other ways to fully provide exposure of the series the game got better. DOA as of now is in a better position than how it was back then because it's a lot easier to absorb the contents in.

What people also seem to forget is that the fanservice will still be there. TN is trying to promote the game as the nature of a fighting game because it "is" a fighting game but the fanservice will be there, just won't be used as the scapegoat for drawing people in (or so they say due to saying the same thing with DOA5 but who knows). Fanservice is important to the game series but it varies on how they are using it as promotion.

Last edited:

NewWestFan

Premium Donor
The facts are there for the people that are frustrated or ticked off with 6 based on misinformation without the time or patience to look up articles on their own.

The lewd classic costumes we all associate with our favorite characters are still there.

The physics are still there and will have an option to turn it up to DOA 5 levels I'm sure.

The fundamentals of the gameplay are still there from 5.

The director himself has said that the contents of the DLC will be determined by the input of the player base, so they are already alluding to waves of fan service DLC just like last time.

The fan service will be there and they're bringing it to EVO to be chastised and criticized by the FGC to get a better understanding of what the people bashing on DOA want to see from it before they take it seriously. I have every ounce of faith this will be the best DOA has ever been before.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Personally with the mechanics change, it's still a rough 50/50 since a neutral sidestep command is natural to have in a 3D fighter. To see DOA not taking that route will make it seem like it's not a traditional 3D fighter, but who knows because it might be something that'll blow everyone's mind or not.

DOA5 is pretty old and I always predicted that 2019 was the right year for the new game and was correct on it's release. I still think that people need to give it a shot before they jump off the wagon, the fanservice will still be there so people are shooting bullets on something that doesn't actually exist on it's removal.

Sure, it's toned down (or so you think because they said the same thing for DOA5 kek) but it's still there.

NewWestFan

Premium Donor
Personally with the mechanics change, it's still a rough 50/50 since a neutral sidestep command is natural to have in a 3D fighter. To see DOA not taking that route will make it seem like it's not a traditional 3D fighter, but who knows because it might be something that'll blow everyone's mind or not.

DOA5 is pretty old and I always predicted that 2019 was the right year for the new game and was correct on it's release. I still think that people need to give it a shot before they jump off the wagon, the fanservice will still be there so people are shooting bullets on something that doesn't actually exist on it's removal.

Sure, it's toned down (or so you think because they said the same thing for DOA5 kek) but it's still there.

I'm genuinely curious how the EVO event is going to go. Do you believe the image they're putting forward and the footage we have so far is enough to get people who normally just shit on DOA to atleast pick the pad up for a match?

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I'm genuinely curious how the EVO event is going to go. Do you believe the image they're putting forward and the footage we have so far is enough to get people who normally just shit on DOA to atleast pick the pad up for a match?

I'll probably try to go to EVO but who knows, I believe the image we have now is good enough overall, if not perfectly fine as it is to try the game but this can vary on some circumstances. EVO is a place for the competitive so it's more or less if the mechanics are suited for them or consider it too hard to even try out or just not into the game because it doesn't play like the game they came from. The image of the game can vary from either EVO or a general convention center like Tokyo Gameshow (which I believe more DOA news will be here along with Nioh 2). You'd more likely get a competitive feedback at EVO than the content itself in terms of DOA.

Ah yeah, I do believe that people who normally shitted on the game will try it out as a test drive or seeing what the temporary short hype is about. It's a tough decision on the mechanics department so players who are familiar with other 3D fighters will have a tough time tolerating DOA's new change of mechanics if more people are trying it.

NewWestFan

Premium Donor
I'm tryna see some titties.

Real talk tho, here's to hoping TN sticks to this and doesn't cave in afterwards.
They will.

money.gif

Number 13

They will cave. Backtracking is already happening at a slow but steady pace with conflicting interview phrasings.

To their credit though, they might not cave straight away like they did shortly after the DoA 5 alpha build. Would make more sense to put it all in DLC since the fanbase already proved with DoA 5 buying Marie Rose and Honoka fanservice costumes are the way to go

Xhominid The Demon Within

They will cave. Backtracking is already happening at a slow but steady pace with conflicting interview phrasings.

To their credit though, they might not cave straight away like they did shortly after the DoA 5 alpha build. Would make more sense to put it all in DLC since the fanbase already proved with DoA 5 buying Marie Rose and Honoka fanservice costumes are the way to go

I don't know, all I remember them saying was that the exaggerated portions was going to get toned down, not completely removed.
And the Soft Engine removal seemed to be because they are using a new engine entirely as they stated later.

I do believe they are going to go back on their word with DLC costumes(it's not like any other fighter is better in that regard) but I wouldn't be surprised if they stick with it, I mean they only fully went back on it with DOA5U as DOA5 was practically the same as any other DOA at that point in time.

HHH816

Unfortunately, the ship already sail for Kasumi and Helena. Changing character model from DOA5 is big no from me.

just_me

Standard Donor
I can't really see much of a difference to the DoA5 models… pretty sure someone pressed subdivide on the face mesh in ZBrush so the could implement the facial expressions (already more effort than the SC6 models).

Other than that Kasumi's model looks unchanged and Helena is back down to her DoA 2-4 cup size… not sure why they decided to put her in the “Tina” class in DoA5. Maybe because they really wanted to drive the point home that she's the mature and motherly type now lol
I still remember the cutscene with Kokoro… officially both have almost identical measurements, but Helena's boobs are almost twice as big XD

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
I said this the other day & I believe I said it here not too long ago. I can't remember, but I never really had a problem with fan service or characters being eye candy. Some service is not bad. What I do have an issue with & I've stated this 1,000s of times beforehand whenever people were trying get raspy & riot over soft bands from costumes a few years back in tournaments is people literally asking for entirely too much & too overtly sexualized content within the game rather than prioritizing the fighting game.

I myself am happy with a good fighting game & its mechanics with the character balance (which is something that a lot of people don't think about because they're always hating on other characters for whatever the case might be). I do buy some of it here & there, but only if it's stands out on my characters. Most of the time, I rarely use bikinis if I buy them. I try to represent the girls in fighting games I use in a more presentable matter so that people can't really say that I use them for that reason. Whether people want to accept it or not, to some people it seems distracting & uncomfortable for them to watch.

If people wouldn't ask for so much & then treat as if it's DOAX, I don't think this would have been an issue to begin with, but this falls on Itagaki more than anyone for advertising DOA this way within the franchise while he was around. Like honestly the 1st set of bikinis that were put into DOA5 should have been the end of it. Then they could have focused on more of the cooler costumes that people could use to fight in. I'm not saying or ridiculing anyone who loves what they love. It's just people "do" need to realize & understand that DOA is, has been, & always will be a fighting game. I actually put out a blog on this about a month ago as well.

People latch onto the excuse that they can't take it serious because of content people ask for. Shimbori only messed up by putting it out the way that he did.

Last edited:

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I mean just saying, but Shimbori wanted this for years. He's not going to be that dick on eliminating physics and eliminating fan service overall. He wouldn't do that. He's just not going to promote the series in that fashion as a means of a scapegoat just to get people to play the game (although, this was similar to DOA5 and was later debunked so who knows if they'll do a repeat to what DOA5 did).

I'm honestly not sure why people are worried about the fan service since it's all still there and more of it will come. DOA is a fighting game and many people forget that the nature of the game is that of a fighter. As for character model edits and all that bits, that's debatable in a matter of taste I guess.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD