[DoA6] So I guess we will have sidesteps (not only sidestep attack) again?

NeverBe

I found this interview online: https://www.twingalaxies.com/feed_details.php/2529/doa6-interview-netcode-is-a-focus-

You may use ctrl+f and search "sidestep", then you may see the paragraph where he explains about sidesteps.

Here is the quote:
"...However the changes that we made, given the feedback from the E3 build which actually had the side attack that enabled it to evade throws, we actually made a change to make sidesteps [a separate action]. However, there’s still a side attack that will, as a result, evade throws, but the sidestep itself can’t evade throws."

So basically, my understanding is that they add sidesteps, alongside with sidestep attacks, back to the game, which is a good news to me. The only difference is that sidesteps can no long evade throws, whereas sidestep attack can.

Can anyone please verify this interview and confirm that sidesteps are added back, or maybe my English reading is bad?

Raansu

They changed it to this in the EVO build. Basically the side step works as how it does now in DoA5 with the same input if you don't press an attack button and they just kinda quickly step to the side. Only difference now is the attack beats out throws and its waaaay more evasive when you input the attack sidestep.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Neutral sidesteps never avoided throws in general to begin with (results in CH state of throw damage instead of HiC), only the command steps that either leaves them crouching or jumping can avoid standing throws. You could still throw someone during someone's step into an attack, but it has to commence during the actual step before the attack comes out. If you tried to throw at a later time when the step is no longer active and becomes an attack, the throw will lose just like any standard strikes that beat out throws.

Last edited:

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Improving sidestep attacks was very much a needed change. They were alright, but now they:re viable thanks to their evasiveness. I feel that they weren't good enough in 5.

I agree yeah. I mean the universal stepping in 5 was pretty good actually, most of the main concerning ones came from continued moves in a string that retracked to the player stepping even though each individual follow up was listed as "Not tracking". Think it was a matter of either buffing the step or reducing movekits to not retrack so much. Could of been either one, but I take it they went with enhancing the step itself since looking through movelists to pinpoint which moves will retrack or not seems like a lot of work.

I definitely agree that the stepping in the game had to be improved one way or another.

Last edited:

Raansu

Improving sidestep attacks was very much a needed change. They were alright, but now they:re viable thanks to their evasiveness. I feel that they weren't good enough in 5.

Stepping in 5 actually worked pretty well as long as you didn't attack lol. I'll double SS a lot and dodge a ton of stuff. The minute I input p or k though I usually get smacked.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Well it's what happens when you are still in recovery from the step. Step becomes a huge massive bonus if you stepped a move with a huge amount of recovery. You can land a free BT deep stun on Brad Wong, Hayate, Raidou, and Helena for guaranteeds if you stepped a particular move. Shit like that is what makes punishment look beautiful.

The more recovery on that shit, the more bits you can add to the situation.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Stepping singular moves or strings without quick recovery or followup was fine, but it can be a string heavy game sometimes, so it benefits it especially if you have a good SS move too. Thing is, VF and Tekken just had better options off SS in the game with most of their characters, so it just didn't seem like a major part of the game, so sometimes I just stopped doing it and just responded with holds.

This actually mitigates it and makes both offensive and defensive players consider their options.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD