DOAU Xbox Live Auto-Update?

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
In my attempts to find Halo 2's 1.5 update and Blastacular Pack DLC, which are no longer obtainable through normal means due to the original Xbox Live servers being shut down now, I stumbled upon a collection of salvaged DLC and updates for original Xbox games, and among them was patch data for Dead or Alive Ultimate. I never played DOA1U or 2U online and so I've never installed an update for them. I had no idea that one ever even existed.

This is probably a long shot, but I'm really curious if anyone remembers what this update did, exactly. Was it for 1U, 2U, or both, and was it just for "general housekeeping", netplay fixes, or did it actually have some noticeable gameplay changes? If so, what changed?

I mean, I don't even plan to apply the update because there really doesn't seem to be any reason to at this point, but I'd still like to know what this did.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
2U - If you select tag mode, back out quickly enough and then select story mode you should have Zack as a (default) tag partner for a few matches. The patch closed this glitchand I believe was supposed to address a savefile overwriting issue but I still had problems so who knows.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
Ah. Thanks for the response. I've never had any issues with my save file being overwritten. Was there a specific thing you could do that caused it that I should be aware of? I know there was a glitch that caused that in DOA4.0, where signing in another account and then signing out of the first account transferred ownership of the save to the second account or something like that.

As for the tag fix, I've never understood why developers bother with fixing stuff like that. Seriously, what harm was that glitch causing?

Well, I went ahead and backed up the patch installer online. Here it is for anyone who wants it.

Last edited:

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
The save issue only happened to me when I was connected to Live, if I recall correctly, so I would just leave the Ethernet unplugged until I was in the menu already. It still happened to a few people when we had matches before they took Live down for Xbox 1 so I don't know if it was truly addressed. Thanks for doing that. By chance, do they have the Ninja Gaiden stuff up to? Maybe we should start an archivist thing for DOA. I have tons of old articles to scan still...

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
They do have the Ninja Gaiden DLC up. Supposedly Hurricane Pack: Volume I works fine, but Hurricane Pack: Volume II requires you to be signed into Xbox Live in order for you to use it. If that's true, HP2 is obviously useless now, but at least HP1 should work.

If you want to download that, I backed it up and made a thread for it in the Ninja Gaiden subforum here, so more NG players will see it.

As far as creating an archive for DOA goes, that DOA2U patch is the only such thing that exists for the DOA games on the original Xbox. None of the other titles had any patches or DLC.

I did upload a backup of the DOA4.1 patch for my own keeping (for when the Xbox 360 servers eventually go), but to be honest, I'm not sure if it would actually even be usable. Patches and DLC are signed by the console when they are initially installed, so I'm not sure if just plopping my copy of the 4.1 patch onto an Xbox 360 would even make it work.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
*Double post*

So I went ahead and installed the patch on both of my Xboxes anyway and tested the story tag glitch only to find that it still works. So, I'm totally lost now on what this patch did because it clearly wasn't that.

saikyom

hhhh came here to ask the same question :)
I still need to finish survival and find the remaining 15 personal object for each character to unlock everything....

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD