DOAX Separation

Pn33milan

hey there, I decided to create this thread to avoid filling the official DOAX3 thread with useless stuff (by me XD)

let's start with a quick background: I love DOA the fighting game and hate the xtreme series. however, that doesn't mean I can't stand its existence, I just don't care about that game, that's it.

having said that, I created the thread to ask a simple question to the DOAX3 fans here: would it be that bad if they separated the original DOA characters from the xtreme series? I mean, if they removed Kasumi & co. from the game and only left the new characters from Marie Rose onward (Honoka, Nyotengu, Misaki, Luna...), would that be that terrible?

what I mean by this is that, for me, the DOAX3 is just a dating sim type of game and, for that reason, I think it basically just needs that niche of characters who occupy those typical categories in these games (es: the loli, the girl next door, the alluring old -fashioned woman and so on). They could, however, leave some original DOA characters who respect these "classes", but for the rest I would like to see different characters between the two series.
I think that mostly because when I saw Misaki I couldn't imagine her fitting as a fighitng game character and, to be totally honest with you, I don't even think that Lisa was that good as a fighter (but mostly because I think that her fighting style doesn't fit her that well).
when I saw this new Luna character I got almost the same vibe. I think she has a pretty cool design, but I can't see her as a fighting character.
I hope somebody would admit that for Marie Rose and Honoka is basically the same thing; they are typical japanese anime-girl characters, the loli and the big breasted airhead. they are also the new front page girls of DOAX3, that must mean something! XD
I think Marie Rose would be good in an anime fighter like Blazblue, but I always thought she was odd in DOA (not because of the small breasts, but just because the loli stereotype is usually rare, or treated differently, in 3D fighters)

BTW, I love Honoka's fighting style XD lol.

I wouldn't mind if they left in DOA those new characters who already have a fighting style and moveset, but I would definitely agree if they decided to make only new original characters for the xtreme spin-off, separated from the DOA fighting game.

I really hope I dind't trigger anyone with this long thread. I really want to know the opinion of players who are into the xtreme series ;)

KwonJigglypuff

I'm not into the Xtreme series but I would say any character can become a fighter. Even a little girl. This is a fantasy game. Anything can happen.

I do not see what is wrong with Lisa's fighting style. In DOA5, it is perfect the way it is and actually fit La Mariposa.

I mean, the most "surprising" fighter back in DOA2 was Helena, an elegant opera singer with a super unpractical long ponytail. She didn't scream "fighter" to my older (stupid) brother for instance. Which is why I loved to kick his ass with her, despite her "fragile" feminine appearance.

However, the real argument you raise is that all these new characters (Misaki, Luna) seem to fill a dating trope first, before filling fighting niches. Plus they are quite similar to Marie-Rose, lack diversity, which only demonstrates a lack of creativity and curiosity for other cultures. But Luna can surprise us, we don't know her yet.

So as long as DOA6 equally comes with new interesting males, I don't mind having our 30 original DOA characters from DOA5 + Misaki and Luna from DOAXVV. The more fighters the better.

But yeah.... I miss mature femme fatales...

Jadeinchains

I don't even think that Lisa was that good as a fighter (but mostly because I think that her fighting style doesn't fit her that well).

06625137-365a-4568-8deb-d21e825715bd.gif

....How dare you.

hey there, I decided to create this thread to avoid filling the official DOAX3 thread with useless stuff (by me XD)

let's start with a quick background: I love DOA the fighting game and hate the xtreme series. however, that doesn't mean I can't stand its existence, I just don't care about that game, that's it.

having said that, I created the thread to ask a simple question to the DOAX3 fans here: would it be that bad if they separated the original DOA characters from the xtreme series? I mean, if they removed Kasumi & co. from the game and only left the new characters from Marie Rose onward (Honoka, Nyotengu, Misaki, Luna...), would that be that terrible?

what I mean by this is that, for me, the DOAX3 is just a dating sim type of game and, for that reason, I think it basically just needs that niche of characters who occupy those typical categories in these games (es: the loli, the girl next door, the alluring old -fashioned woman and so on). They could, however, leave some original DOA characters who respect these "classes", but for the rest I would like to see different characters between the two series.
I think that mostly because when I saw Misaki I couldn't imagine her fitting as a fighitng game character and, to be totally honest with you, I don't even think that Lisa was that good as a fighter (but mostly because I think that her fighting style doesn't fit her that well).
when I saw this new Luna character I got almost the same vibe. I think she has a pretty cool design, but I can't see her as a fighting character.
I hope somebody would admit that for Marie Rose and Honoka is basically the same thing; they are typical japanese anime-girl characters, the loli and the big breasted airhead. they are also the new front page girls of DOAX3, that must mean something! XD
I think Marie Rose would be good in an anime fighter like Blazblue, but I always thought she was odd in DOA (not because of the small breasts, but just because the loli stereotype is usually rare, or treated differently, in 3D fighters)

BTW, I love Honoka's fighting style XD lol.

I wouldn't mind if they left in DOA those new characters who already have a fighting style and moveset, but I would definitely agree if they decided to make only new original characters for the xtreme spin-off, separated from the DOA fighting game.

I really hope I dind't trigger anyone with this long thread. I really want to know the opinion of players who are into the xtreme series ;)

One thing I'd say is that the characters from the main series like the missing girls Lisa, Christie etc I think should all be and continue to be in the Xtreme series, I have thought though of the idea of characters like Misaki and now Luna that have only appeared in an Xtreme game as being only in the xtreme games and not being fighters, Niki would also fit being in the xtreme games since she wouldn't have to fit if she doesn't have any fighting style. Although that was more just me thinking If they decided to have girls exclusive only to the xtreme games, Personally I don't mind and would be fine/prefer that the girls that are only in this xtreme game so far like Misaki and Luna would eventually be added to DOA6 as well and the girls from the main series continue to be in the xtreme games since people obviously like them and would like to see them continue to be in the main games and also the xtreme games. We'll have to see what TN chooses to do though but I'd hope and guess they'll continue to have the girls in both the main games and the xtreme games as well.

Pn33milan

yeah I know it's a fantasy game, but I always had (and still have) the impression that the original design was more "martial arts" focused. I mean, Kokoro is a young girl, but she has a specific fighting style and a design that perfectly match it, so I love her. while Marie Rose is all fantasy-centered.

ok, let's be more clear, I don't hate Lisa as a character, I just think that her two personalities (as a scientist and as a luchadora) are too random to be linked. also, isn't lucha libre supposed to be a Mexican fighting style? I mean, I know Lisa's concept is original, but luchadores in games are usually (I's day, always) Mexican.

well yes, I also hope they don't forget male characters XD
I know they don't sell that much (especially from the DLC costumes point of view), and that's probably why they only put them in the base game, but I still appreciated Rig and Raidou's return ;)

my idea of the separation was also based on my exclusive assumption that people who buy this game generally love the character design, so they would appreciate characters like Misaki and Luna even without Kasumi and Ayane. again, that's just my silly assumption XD

KwonJigglypuff

Actually I think some people who don't necessarely play the fighting game do like the iconic DOA lore and girls, so having the opportunity to play with Ayane, Helena, Marie-Rose is a good thing. Having new girls just refresh the formula.

Also, I'm just like you: I like to know what TN has in mind when creating a new trope character. Japanese just don't know what to do with her in terms of ethnicity, she is just (I hope I'm not wrong with that quote from Itagaki) "a gift to the American fans". In other terms, American's whole melting pot (I hope it is not pejorative saying that but it is not in my vocabulary). So they just put the main American minorities into her (latino, afro-americans). But nothing canon. Does it matter ? I mean Helena is a French lady using a Chinese fighting style and her father is black. No big deal here.

Pn33milan

and both her name and surname are not pronounced in French XD

well, those are just my nitpicks. I have a biological impediment to wholly appreciate everything they throw at me XD
I just love when details are perfectly and plausibly matching ;)

about DOAX, I said that I would still leave some characters, both for gamers who know some of these icons and for fulfilling those character stereotypes in dating sim games, but not necessarily the entire cast

Brute

Standard Donor
So, the teleporting, energy-blast firing ninjas are okay and should stay in DOA proper, but Marie as an "all fantasy-centered" character should be relegated to DOAX?

Someone also mentioned how some of the DOAX characters are basically tropes, but it's a bit more muddled than that. Kokoro is moe-waifu trash whereas Lisa is totally bizarre, but actually quite unique (how many other chaotic-neutral, luchadora scientists can you name? because I can name a lot of aloof Asian schoolgirls with boring AF movesets).

I'm maybe not the best respondent because if it were up to me, DOAX would lose the half-assed dating sim features and become more of a free-roam adventure/platformer RPG, but I think the idea is pretty terrible. Especially if that approach could lead to situations like leaving DOAX without any characters I would actually enjoy playing as, or consequently removing two of my four favorite characters from DOA proper (but still leaving me with fucking Kokoro).

Pn33milan

ok now, calm down. I'm not dissing anyone.

Kasumi and Ayane have definitely fantasy elements in their characters, but at least they have more plausible designs as humans and fighters.
I personally think that lolis are only good in anime-like environments, not exactly the DOA one. that's the kind of fantasy I was referring to

I am not saying Lisa is unoriginal, but the exact opposite! I just think that some of her elements are randomly mixed, while Kokoro (as an example) is more homogeneous.
then I agree that Kokoro's character is boring (and quite useless considering that now we have Honoka), but she still has one of the best designs in the game imo.
keep Kokoro and Honoka in the fighting game, but only Honoka in DOAX, that would be good for me

then I am not saying that DOAX characters are just tropes, but they are basically treated as such, considering the genre of the game. I mean, they don't behave like they would in the fighting game, because it is a dating sim spin-off.
then again, also in fighting games characters have to occupy a certain role in the roster, but some of these roles are different between the two genres

I never said I would remove characters from the fighting game, because they already have a style and fans.
I said I would leave only SOME of the original cast in the xtreme games, while making the rest out of new characters specifically designed for the game, like Misaki and Luna. I asked your opinions about this aspect

Last edited:

HHH816

they're within the same universe

Hitomi dialogue in DOAX3 - "i'm going to win the next tournament"

huge hint that she got 2nd place in DOA5 TOURNAMENT.

and plus the remaining girl having conversation with misaki, marie & maybe luna in DOAXVV already show they're living in the same timeline.

P2p1mbs

The main reason the Xtreme games even exist is so fans of the girls can ogle at them and have them interact with each other outside the main series, separating the cast between these 2 series defeats the entire purpose of calling it DOA Xtreme.

I personally hate X3 ONLY because Tina isnt in it (yes, I am that obsessed with her, just look at how many Tina pics Ive posted) and if it was ever announced that she and the other girls excluded were ever put in (which I know is impossible :(), I would want to try it out.

Pn33milan

Then let's rephrase it: if they made a game like DOAX (probably changing the title), but with only new characters and just a few from the DOA series, would you be interested?

P2p1mbs

Then let's rephrase it: if they made a game like DOAX (probably changing the title), but with only new characters and just a few from the DOA series, would you be interested?

If they re-titled the game, it would not be DOA anymore even if they used just some of the girls. Like I keep whining about, I only HATE X3 since my mains aren't in it but I will want to try the game out if they ever were (which wont happen :(), even if it didn't have DOA in the title.

Even if they did continue the xtreme games without DOA in the title (which is unlikely since it is a spinoff) and original characters, it would still count as part of the DOA/Ninja Gaiden shared universe and people would still want original characters be a part of the main DOA fighting games. Thats exactly why Lisa, Rachel and Momiji are in the main fighting games.

Pn33milan

But at least Lisa, Rachel and Momiji could be envisioned as fighters (even if I personally don't like Lisa's fighting style).
I find it harder for Misaki and Luna, for what we have now at least, even for Marie Rose.
while at least Honoka seems to have an interesting background to compensate for her anime-like concept, for DOA6 eventually (I hope).

You could probably see that I am personally not into this new general art style that much.
I guess it's just me :oops:

P2p1mbs

But at least Lisa, Rachel and Momiji could be envisioned as fighters (even if I personally don't like Lisa's fighting style).
I find it harder for Misaki and Luna, for what we have now at least, even for Marie Rose.
while at least Honoka seems to have an interesting background to compensate for her anime-like concept, for DOA6 eventually (I hope).

When Lisa first showed up in DOAXBV, there was no indication that she was a fighter since she was presented as just a tour guide but then she made it to DOA4. The same thing can (and likely will) happen with Misaki and Luna.

Pn33milan

As long as they are fun to use, I don't mind Misaki and Luna being playable.
It's just from the aesthetic point of view that I would probably prefer someone else

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD