Does final rounds results mean more Tina players?

Will you pocket Tina in the upcoming days?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • Already Have

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

T..J. Bernard

I think so. After most majors we always see an influx of characters that won a major. We seen it with Akira, Bayman (somewhat), Helena, and now with Tina. I think this will actually stick too because:

1) She's more beginner-friendly: She's the easier of the grapplers to use.
2) She has more weapons: Although not as strong as Bass, she's faster, has more strikes, and her grappling's just as effective. You don't want to hold so much against Tina.
3) She can keep up with the more difficult characters to fight: Character's like Christie, Kasumi, and others are less painful to fight against as Tina because of her weapons and abilities. The only thing I'd say, in regards to my play-style, is I think she's not the best spacing character. Besides the "throw the booty at em'" and one more move I forgot, I don't think she has many spacing moves.

All in all, I think there will be a lot more people inclined to use Tina (Including myself but for different reasons). And I think those Tina user's are going to stay for some time. Hopefully Rig wins soon so I can see an influx of Rig users. Let's hope for Summer Jam. Opinions on my thoughts and if possible I have another question: Which character's did not win a major from DOA5? I think that list so far includes Nao, Mai, Honoka, & Marie Rose. But who else from all the DOA5 tournaments didn't win a major?

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
I believe you are going to find that Tina suffers from a severe lack of range and while this can be compensated for, it is difficult for most players to do in the same way most players have trouble making up for the lack of range with Bayman.

For her to be effective you need to have extremely good fundamentals despite a speed and range disadvantage, and you have to have deep knowledge of her tech to be able to keep momentum going once you do have it. This requires a lot more time investment than somebody like Rachel or Christie to be able to function properly. So will everybody have a pocket Tina? Probably not, no.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
I think so. After most majors we always see an influx of characters that won a major. We seen it with Akira, Bayman (somewhat), Helena, and now with Tina. I think this will actually stick too because:

1) She's more beginner-friendly: She's the easier of the grapplers to use.
2) She has more weapons: Although not as strong as Bass, she's faster, has more strikes, and her grappling's just as effective. You don't want to hold so much against Tina.
3) She can keep up with the more difficult characters to fight: Character's like Christie, Kasumi, and others are less painful to fight against as Tina because of her weapons and abilities. The only thing I'd say, in regards to my play-style, is I think she's not the best spacing character. Besides the "throw the booty at em'" and one more move I forgot, I don't think she has many spacing moves.

All in all, I think there will be a lot more people inclined to use Tina (Including myself but for different reasons). And I think those Tina user's are going to stay for some time. Hopefully Rig wins soon so I can see an influx of Rig users. Let's hope for Summer Jam. Opinions on my thoughts and if possible I have another question: Which character's did not win a major from DOA5? I think that list so far includes Nao, Mai, Honoka, & Marie Rose. But who else from all the DOA5 tournaments didn't win a major?

Surprised you glossed over Eliot considering that he's commonly perceived as low tier and XcaliburBladez has won numerous major tournaments with him.

As for characters winning a major tournament in DOA5, Rig has already won a tournament this year with Hoodless winning KIT '17. So far to my knowledge: Brad Wong, Mila, NyoTengu, Bass, Hayate, Naotora, Raidou, Marie Rose, Momiji, Pai, Jacky, Ein, Honoka and Mai haven't won any major tournaments for DOA5/5U/LR. That's half the cast about. But to answer your original question some people may pick up Tina, but few will actually stick with her if they don't see results fairly quickly.

Last edited:

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Surprised you glossed over Eliot considering that he's commonly perceived as low tier and XcaliburBladez has won numerous major tournaments with him.

As for characters winning a major tournament in DOA5, Rig has already won a tournament this year with Hoodless winning KIT '17. So far to my knowledge: Brad Wong, Mila, Ayane, NyoTengu, Bass, Hayate, Naotora, Raidou, Marie Rose, Momiji, Pai, Jacky, Ein, Leon, Honoka and Mai haven't won any major tournaments for DOA5/5U/LR. That's half the cast about. But to answer your original question some people may pick up Tina, but few will actually stick with her if they don't see results fairly quickly.

Ayane did win one in Japan 5U and it was considered a major according to Terurock when he hopped in our hotel room. Flack won one with Leon as well over there in 5U. Are you specifically talking about the states?

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Ayane did win one in Japan 5U and it was considered a major according to Terurock when he hopped in our hotel room. Flack won one with Leon as well over there in 5U. Are you specifically talking about the states?

Mostly the West. Thanks for the update dude. Which Ayane won? Sambar? Still cool to hear Ayane win a major there. Technically I've won a major tournament before with Ayane here a couple years ago, though it wasn't quite a high level tournament. Flack has an amazing Leon too by the way.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Mostly the West. Thanks for the update dude. Which Ayane won? Sambar? Still cool to hear that Ayane has won a major before. Flack has an amazing Leon.

No prob yo. I don't remember the full name sadly because the name itself was Japanese text, I remember commentators calling him "hide" something something and the grand finals was Zack vs Ayane. Ayane player won. This was a tournament that they chose to stream on NicoNico and the only two viewers in America watching it was me and Forlorn Penguin. He won like a giant check in yen and then 30 minutes later stream was done.

Ah the west, gotcha lol.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Nope, I don't see myself ever using Tina, she's not my style. The only character I'll admit to using after seeing them win a major is Eliot but then again I always kinda wanted to learn him but was intimidated by his strings and such.

This influx of Tina players online I predict will go down soon, just because a character wins a major doesn't suddenly make them the best character or easy to use and a lot of players who think that may be in for a rude awakening when they take then online, kinda like when new DLC characters are released. If anything, this made me a hit more interested in learning Bass actually, just imagine how dangerous Bass could be if Tina was able to win a major thanks to Killy's strong grip around her move set

UpSideDownGRUNT

As for characters winning a major tournament in DOA5, Rig has already won a tournament this year with Hoodless winning KIT '17. So far to my knowledge: Brad Wong, Mila, NyoTengu, Bass, Hayate, Naotora, Raidou, Marie Rose, Momiji, Pai, Jacky, Ein, Honoka and Mai haven't won any major tournaments for DOA5/5U/LR. That's half the cast about. But to answer your original question some people may pick up Tina, but few will actually stick with her if they don't see results fairly quickly.
While idk for definite if he won or not or rather I can't remember, JayceeChris has at least taken Win to GFs a few times at Europe's main major Republic of Fighters.

Doa_Eater

It's been 3 days i still cant believe it, someone actually won with the absolute worst character in the hardest scene East Coast US, this is not like that one i won in Zimbabwe with Tina but the prestigious Big E gaming tournaments. Unbelievable for me at least.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
It's been 3 days i still cant believe it, someone actually won with the absolute worst character in the hardest scene East Coast US, this is not like that one i won in Zimbabwe with Tina but the prestigious Big E gaming tournaments. Unbelievable for me at least.

This was actually Larry's event, and Tina is far from the worst.

Doa_Eater

This was actually Larry's event, and Tina is far from the worst.

Isn't that the same company, Larry, Big E and another guy, and please tell me how is she not the worst? If anybody can convince me you are among the few.

Sotherius

Well, i always liked Tina, and i play her casually, but i could see people that liked the character but thought that she was weak (not my case), get hyped to play as the character.

Toxic901

I play Tina. Truth be told the guy that won with her always kicks me out the lobby or leave lol just because I beat his friends with Tina. But I don't see a raise in Tina players I would use her and then my opponent would try to pick her just because I did or they wanted to try and show they were better. But thats about it

Argentus

There's always gonna be wannabe's doing "Follow the leader" trying to copy whoever won after a tournament. That's just how the FGC is haha.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD