Dragon Ball FighterZ

Brute

Standard Donor
I'm surprised this game doesn't have a thread here, already (if it does, alert me and I'll merge the threads). The open beta is this weekend, and in preparation, Prima seems to have an all-character movelist for specials and supers which can be found here.

While I am looking forward to Adult Gohan and Piccolo, take a moment of silence to remember our forgotten champion, Mr. Satan.

edit: Played the Beta and I've gotta say that the hype isn't unfounded. This game impressed me in all respects, aside from the server issues. All it needs is a fucking block button. The demo definitely sold me. I'll be picking this one up, no question. Leaning towards nabbing it on Steam.

Radiance

No posts? Guess I'll share some of my matches

This game is like crack lol, very addicting. The combo system is simplistic and easy to do (and mash for new comers but once you until the game mechanics and the priority some attacks have it's really easy to do with anyone who is mashing). Meter gives creativity to block string/combo's and allows your playstyle to be versatile. Game is extremely fast paced. Might have a hard time getting into it if you're not familiar with airdashers like Blazblue or guilty gear but it's no where near as restricting as those two.

Radiance

You won't find many 2D fighters with a block button, in fact I think MK is the only game that falls under that. Why are you so surprised? Arcsys helped make so it's going to play like their games. Auto combo's really are irrelevant, they're meant to help new comers but beyond that, useless.

Brute

Standard Donor
You won't find many 2D fighters with a block button, in fact I think MK is the only game that falls under that. Why are you so surprised?
He's not surprised. He's disappointed. And for that matter, so am I. The trend of 2D fighters not having a block button is an archaic remnant from an age that we should have advanced far beyond by now.

If anyone is tempted to explain to me why having back as guard is essential to the spacing game of 2D fighters, there is no need. I've heard the arguments and they suck.

Radiance

For me I guess its a tradition, it's a mechanic that works so why change it other than personal preference?

Brute

Standard Donor
For me I guess its a tradition
traditions-are-an-idiot-thing.jpg

it's a mechanic that works so why change it other than personal preference?
The simplest form of the argument goes exactly like that. It's a personal preference so offer both options to appeal to both types of players. Feeling like you're obligated to please one crowd exclusively on the premise of tradition is absurd.

The more elaborate ones deal with the consequences of spacing and the effect it has on the pacing of a match and whether fundamentals or character-specific tools for generic blocking should be favored, as well as input speed and reliability for punishing after guarding.

Radiance

It's a personal preference so offer both options to appeal to both types of players.

Except you just can't do that in a 2D fighter for obvious reasons. The person button blocking would have op advantage. The whole point of holding back to block in 2D fighters is to give more options to open up opponents. It allows for cross ups, and ambiguous mix ups. Giving players the option to block with a button in a game like SF or anything similar would dumb down the meta and I'm pretty sure the majority would not be thrilled with such a drastic change. It was never about pleasing a certain crowd. Unfortunately, you guys are the minority. But there's a block button in MKX if you guys are interested in playing that lol..

Argentus

eh i never got hyped by it but figured i'd try it myself, first actual match here

Autocombos kinda ruin it for me, plus everyone feels way too "samey".

overall the game kinda bored me, but like i said, i wasn't all that into it to begin with, just tried it because open beta. I've never been big on the marvel air combo gameplay style.

Brute

Standard Donor
Except you just can't do that in a 2D fighter for obvious reasons. The person button blocking would have op advantage. The whole point of holding back to block in 2D fighters is to give more options to open up opponents. It allows for cross ups, and ambiguous mix ups. Giving players the option to block with a button in a game like SF or anything similar would dumb down the meta
If anyone is tempted to explain to me why having back as guard is essential to the spacing game of 2D fighters, there is no need. I've heard the arguments and they suck.
The argument is predicated on the assertion that the drastic change to the meta would not only make the game(s) worse, but that other elements could not be modified in light of the change to make the game(s) even better than the previous form. I'm not so myopic.

To elaborate, the same argument could hypothetically be made for 3D fighters. But, having a guard button doesn't ruin the DOA meta, the Soul Calibur meta, etc. The games implement the feature and build around it. There is no reason a 2D fighter can't do the same. They simply don't want to for reasons I've already explained.

It was never about pleasing a certain crowd.
Yes, it is. That crowd thinks those things are best, and they think those elements are best because they've become accustomed to them. Most FGs feature that mechanic to please that crowd. They don't want to play a new game with new mechanics; they want to play an old game with new graphics.

As a side note: This is likely in part why ultimately DOA hasn't caught on with the larger FGC. It's not because of the sexualized marketing. It's because while DOA is a FG on the surface, the design approach and focal points stray further from standard FG conventions than most of those players are accustomed to.

Unfortunately, you guys are the minority.
I'm aware. But the majority is rarely correct and typically prefers the comfort of tradition over progress.

But there's a block button in MKX if you guys are interested in playing that lol..
But there's back to block in MvC:I if you are interested in playing that lol..

Or maybe that's a pointless notion, and everyone would logically want a game that appeals to them more than a proposed alternative to feature the elements they find best, even if they didn't expect them to. Some people would've liked to see a block button in DBFZ. It was a completely valid statement.

Radiance

A few combo vids I found. Combo system seems to have a lot of potential; was weary at first because everyone seemed to have the generic "light attack > medium > heavy knock back > rush > generic air combo". Happy to see characters will be unique in their own way. Can't wait to experiment and come up with tech. Arcsys makes the best 2D fighters :p just wish I could change the ingame music to Blazblue's lol.

Lulu

The whole point of holding back to block in 2D fighters is to give more options to open up opponents. It allows for cross ups, and ambiguous mix ups.

The argument is predicated on the assertion that the drastic change to the meta would not only make the game(s) worse, but that other elements could not be modified in light of the change to make the game(s) even better than the previous form. I'm not so myopic.

@Brute
I gotta comnend you for having the balls to tackle that specific Argument but what @Radiance said is kind of a huge deal.

That being said in some situations some Fighting Games over do it.... for example I would say Cammy in SFV is a great example of Cross Ups making the game more interesting to play since shes got no Command Throws and Overheads so she depends on opening people up by taking advantage of the unintuitive method of blocking.... Ibuki on the Hand is just Trolling. They should get rid of that Overhead.... its way too damn good... giving her that plus the crossups is just bonkers... her damage is great too.

Also Cross Ups in Street Fighter V in the Corner border on Glitches in terms of what they look like. Its like when either character goes airborne... their Space Box becomes so narrow that it looks like they're landing inside the other opponent (Kinda like in KOF) and then when that character's feet touch the Ground they reinflate the Space Box and that pushes the Characters Apart. The whole thing just looks wrong and completely ambiguous.

I'm aware. But the majority is rarely correct and typically prefers the comfort of tradition over progress.

Remember when the Earth was Flat.... Good Times.... also Flat Earth Society lol... I can't believe thats a thing.

Maybe you can try playing one of these Crossup Characters and seeing if you have a taste for it... it won't fix anything but at least you could dishout the Frustration rather than always taking it... get in touch with your inner sadist. ;)

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Who are ya'll going to be play? Just four more days left.
AFAIK, there's no way to play a team of 3 Tiens, Guldo's been reduced to an assist for Ginyu, and Launch is not playable in the game at all. So I'll probably never find a team I actually like.

But thanks to a USB drive and some Chrono Trigger music, I can at least tolerate winging it with Tien and two random selections.

UpSideDownGRUNT

is it just me or is Majin #21 dressed kinda like Caulifla with the boob tube and puff pants, man Caulifla NEEDS to be DLC now for a team of tube top waifus +#18

Brute

Standard Donor
Just wondering why Nappa is in the game but Raditz didn't make the cut.
Well, Nappa had a lot more screen/page time and put up a longer/stronger fight against the heroes he was facing. He's also a meme factory.

Raditz is most threatening when he tries to bore you to death.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD