Emperor Cow's Dead or Alive 5 Leifang Training Video

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
EMPEROR_COW decided to run a multi-hour tutorial training video for Leifang in Dead or Alive 5 previously. He goes over some pokes, crushes, safe attacks, tracking, combos, etc. It's a nice video to go over not only Leifang but common things to look for in your character of choice.

Jump to ~5:00 to the start of the tutorial. The video was done as part of a live stream so please check it out on Twitch: Leifang Tutorial Video

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
thanks for featuring this .. :)
unfortunately there wasnt much interaction from the people watching so the talking does seem a bit one sided ..

but at any rate I hope people can benefit from this :)

NightAntilli

In the other thread I said I would watch it this weekend. I started watching it now. I'm around 20 minutes in.. I have a small remark. Correct me if I'm wrong, but, Leifang is not a grappler. Grapplers like bass have a 4 frame throw (it connects on the 5th but is registered as a 4 frame throw in-game), while Leifang has a 5 frame throw (that connects on the 6th). If you're -5, you're still safe against Leifang, but not against Bass.

About her safe moves, there's also 1KP, which is a variant of her PPP, 3PPP, 7PPP and so on, although that one's very easy to crush do to the P being high and people wanting to duck the 2nd K, but technically, it is a safe move. Never mind. This was changed to -8 on the latest patch. Or was I fooling myself that it was -4? xD

As I watch further, I'll be giving remarks, mentioning things I learned, and maybe correcting a few things if necessary.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
NightAntilli said:
. Correct me if I'm wrong, but, Leifang is not a grappler. Grapplers like bass have a 4 frame throw (it connects on the 5th but is registered as a 4 frame throw in-game), while Leifang has a 5 frame throw (that connects on the 6th). If you're -5, you're still safe against Leifang, but not against Bass

Ur absolutely right...
Thats a big error on my part..
I meant to differentiate the -4s and -5s .. (i even mentioned it in the throws vid ..) but i was up for 2 days straight packing up my flat as im leaving the country n i must have been thinking about earlier versions of leifang when she actually was a grappler.. ( also the lack of interaction and mumbling on a live stream your own for so long does tend to make you dose off >__>)

Yes, -4 safe, -5 safe except vs grapplers.
Thanks for pointing this out.

If anyone finds any other mistakes please do share. .. much appreciated :)

NightAntilli

Low crushes:
7P crushes lows, as long as the move does not hit the back leg. So your spacing needs to be spot on. To test this, pick Hayate, set him to do a low kick as reaction. Use your 2F+K (let it hit), and then 7P. Play with the timing, and you'll notice that it has a small window that crushes. I like to mess around with it with people who do a lot of low wake-up kicks. But it's not reliable in competitive play. Just a fun thing to know.

High crushes:
1P also crushes some mids
66K also crushes some mids
3P+K also crushes some mids
To test the mid crushes, I picked Ayane as the CPU, do P with Leifang while Ayana blocks, and immediately follow-up with 66K, or 3P+K, or 1P, while you let her do her mid kick, and you'll see that her kick whiffs completely. Her mid kick is registered as 15 frames, while you're at -5 after her P. 1P is itself 17 frames, 66K is 18 frames, and 3P+K is also 18. They should all lose to her mid K in terms of speed, but they crush it. Note that they don't crush all mids. Ayane's mid punch hits, so does Hitomi's mid kick (only 3P+K can crush it with very hard timing), so, I'll leave the rest of the investigation to you.

Frame advantage moves (around 40 minutes or so):
7K: All moves are distance dependent. Most of them simply always hit on the first active frame. If a move hits on a later active frame, you can reduce your disadvantage or increase your advantage. With moves that have two active frames, you'll mostly only get the single distance since the chance is very small they hit on the 2nd active frame. But if a move has 4 or 5 active frames, something that's normally +1 could become +5 or +6, depending on which active frame connects to the opponent, since the guard stun remains constant.

Charged power blow guard break against wall:
I like to actually simply do 3K. That slams them against the wall, which allows me to follow up with 3PP6PP. That's 48 damage. You can also do 66P, then follow-up with the same combo, does 50dmg. One drawback is, that this won't work if you're at an angle, so, at an angle it's better to do the one shown in the vid.

There's one more frame advantage move. BT P+K (fully charged), which leaves you at +11.

Tracking (around 46 minutes or so)
About her 6PK not tracking, but her PP6PK tracking, it actually makes sense. Look at the animation. 6P, she simply does the elbow, but, with PP6P, at the 6P, she spins around. The animation is circular, thus it makes sense that it tracks. In the variants, she also spins around, thus making them all tracking. Easy right? ^_^

Guaranteed setups
I knew about 6P+K causing a sitdown stun, but I didn't know you could get a guaranteed burst from it xD I'll definitely be looking into implementing that in my gameplay :D

Launchers
Normal hit launchers you forgot to mention:
9KK (2nd hit is technically not a normal hit, but, it's a natural combo.. So, it can be considered a normal hit launcher since the first hit is on normal hit)
6F+K (technically a ground bounce, you can do 9KKK afterwards against most characters on normal hit, not just counter hit)

Counter hit:
K2K 2nd kick, although you did show the PPK2K variant. A juggle instead of 3KP+K would be 6K, KF+K.

Bursts:
Didn't know you could burst so fast after a sabaki. Good to know xD

I'll watch the next section that starts after 1h20min another day, probably tomorrow. I hope this helps a bit.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
see where the hell were you when I needed interaction? >__<

the whole point of this type of tutorial is to get people to talk about the character ... share the info so we have it all in one big chunk.. it would be far more interesting as well. and if you didnt know something TO ASK... it would refresh my memory to actually go back and talk about something

I had a consistent 6-7 viewers watching and literally only 4 questions in the whole 4 hours ... (one being a troll question near the end)

regarding GB moves having varied frames depending on distance. yes I've already mentioned this in my tutorial when talking about frame data. but 7K is far more varied, and from point blank the frame data is actually less than what was written in the final japanese guide (which was the point)

as for the mid crushes, yes again I mentioned the ability of some crushes to crush mids in my main tutorial and I did not forget about it when doing this. By the time I reached that section and I was getting no comments at all so I kind of lost motivation to go into more detail, the reason being that the stream was so dead at the time n no1 was offering any feedback. I actually did not forget... I just wanted to get it over with and get into something people would enjoy more like ... combos or set-ups or something.

I would really like to do more of these and i honestly thought such a method of teaching would be good for people, but if I'm not gonna get any live feedback then there really isn't a point. I might as well spend like a good month cramming the knowledge with nice editing and make it into a 10 minute youtube vid.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not trying to be defensive. I really do appreciate the feed back you're giving right now, as it would be something nice for people to look back to and follow up on the vid after they're done (if they actually watched it). but I would have really appreciated live feedback alot more, like the section talking about ledge attacks... I actually didnt have that in and created it on the spot because i actually got asked about it (it was totally missed from my notes) ...but on the other hand i had dead air when talking about parries and I totally missed talking about BT parries even though i had it in my notes (in BOLD even >__>), and how it even nullifies some guaranteed setups like Hayate's 46throw into 7K which gives a guaranteed close hit on all the cast except leifang and bayman due to their BT parries. (its sad because thats why i had hayate as the training dummy in the first place.)
------
(As for a more viable and guaranteed use for 6P+K's sit down... wait till you see the section on the environmentals .. ;) )

NightAntilli

I was probably busy xD Now that I work full time, I have less time to watch streams and stuff. Usually only during the weekends. But if you're making another one for Kokoro or Hitomi, let me know in advance when it's gonna be and I'll let you know if I'm able to attend or not. I didn't even know you were doing this stream until I already saw your post in the Leifang thread, which was too late.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
I was probably busy xD Now that I work full time, I have less time to watch streams and stuff. Usually only during the weekends. But if you're making another one for Kokoro or Hitomi, let me know in advance when it's gonna be and I'll let you know if I'm able to attend or not. I didn't even know you were doing this stream until I already saw your post in the Leifang thread, which was too late.

Since I would be doing it from Saudi I dont know if I would have as much time. bit I'll try my best.
I want to do one on a character that i know NOTHING about ...
maybe Eliot, Zack or Hayabusa...
That way with my research (and hopefully the feedback) I can learn something myself as well. :)

I'll make a weeks notice next time .. and ill do my best to make it on a weekend.. that way no1 has an excuse

NightAntilli

Yeah it was during the week, and since I work full-time, and your time was 6PM GMT, I was at work, since I moved to the Caribbean which is basically GMT-4.
Anyway.. Moving on..

Throws
I wish you talked about 214T and 46T. I personally dislike 214T because it allows teching. 46T doesn't, but I never see anyone use it. I'm the only one lol.

Offensive holds
Forgot the unshu OH, arguably her best one due to the crazy guaranteed follow-up damage, although it's hard to land since it needs to be used from her stance. You covered it later.

Unshu stance
I LOVE it.. Lol. I spam it a lot actually, and really confuse people with its follow-ups.

Force tech
Didn't know about counter hit KF+K giving a chance for a force tech on the whole cast. Good to know.

One more thing. Against heavy weights like Bass, if you land her OH from her unshu stance, you can get a forced tech with:
Unshu OH, 64P, 66K, 3PKKK

Environment
About the partition attacks, you can also delay them, and you get something else. Not that they're that useful since they cause a knockdown, but I thought it was worth mentioning anyway.

Breakable objects
The sitdown with 6P+K is cool. Never thought of that, even though it's quite logical xD

Great job overall man.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
One more thing. Against heavy weights like Bass, if you land her OH from her unshu stance, you can get a forced tech with:
Unshu OH, 64P, 66K, 3PKKK.
I didn't mention it ?
I swear it was in my notes >__>
damnit...
lol

well I'm glad you like it ..
I think once I'm done with the Main tutorial series i will do a more refined version on youtube with all the input :)

coffeedad

I <3 Jesus...and coffee.
Premium Donor
I just found about this...

Thank you very much for Cow! This has been very helpful for my understanding of the game.

Also, thank you for your overall positivity in your posts and about the game in general. It's good to hear that.

marcsmanship

Does anyone have a working link for this video? I'm trying to watch, but according to the Twitch website, "The page could not be found, or has been deleted by its owner."

Thanks in advance.

marcsmanship

That'd be awesome! I'm still a beginner though, so I probably wouldn't be able to move the discussion along much - at least not in a very advanced direction. Main things I'm trying to learn are:
- starting offensive pressure
- options while under pressure
I come from a SF4 background, and I'm finding it really hard to reliably escape pressure without an invincible reversal or back dash.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD