Evaluate your character for DOA 6

T..J. Bernard

Since we are at the tail-end of DOA 5, likely, I think it's the right time to evaluate a character in regards to story, gameplay, execution level, and what do you think are the best and worst things that can be added to that character. And give your honest opinion and final grade. 100% of this is likely opinion based so I'll start this off:

Rig :rig:
Grade: B or B+
Tier: Deathmatch: High Tourney: High (If we really need two separate tiers).

Story:
Rig's story to me started off kinda bland but got a little bit interesting as time progresses. I mean we're introduced to him from the get-go with some dialogue with Bass that leads to a fight and after we wait a few until we dive into Rig for real. His Christie segment was alright and the fight was alright but similar to the tag duo they have, good intro-no outro to build off. We dive into his little scuffle with Jann and ends with a fight with Eliot that to me felt they needed a reason for Rig to have 3 fights. His 1st interaction with Kasumi (Well bootleg Kasumi) was alright but now I think about it, I wonder if he knew that was fake Kasumi because his interaction with real Kasumi was more intense. It ends with his duel with the ninja's which although reveals for now he's a villain, I personally feel that it was forced. In the end credits we hear his dialogue with Donovan, revealing he's his son (but I can make a possibility on why that could be false) and that ends that. The issue with his story wasn't the twist. I feel it was forced cause we had to focus on the tourney which to me was pointless to begin with, minus Jann's ending.

Gameplay:
Where Rig really shines to me is in his gameplay. Going by Taekwondo, we can safely assume he's going to be a pure rushdown character. With great frames to work with and offense that can make even the best players have to adjust their style, Rig's really solid on the offensive end. His defense and throw game leaves some desire for improvement. However, he has a great ceiling throw which can lead to some devastating guarantees and Rig to me's a monster of a lab rat with much guarantees and tech to look into. Rig's best quality definitely revolves around his gameplay.

Execution:
While Rig to me isn't an easy character to use, he isn't the hardest either. For a beginner, it will be a struggle because you have to consider what gets him in bending stance and what to do in that moment. Also, I feel one has to have knowledge on the guarantees as a slip up and the opposition can stagger, losing out on big damage. Lastly, although his offense is really solid, his defense is pretty mediocre (which is why to me Kasumi & Christie can go to town on Rig). His punish games alright but I feel Rig's a bit better on the counter hit game where he can get someone on deep stuns. The only problem with this is after 8k, I don't see where Rig has solid panic move (Hayate's 1k, Leifang's shoulder) that one can utilize. Overall, Rig to me's intermediate for a beginner but advanced for the long haul.

Best things for DOA 6:
A panic move
More depth into his story
A parry (Though one may debate mid k hold is one)
Switch stances allowing more moves.

Worst things for DOA 6:
Nerf on frames when in Bending stance
Putting Rig in the backburn as a villain (Though I'm still skeptical on him as a villain.)
Rig gets the Lars treatment

Overall:
Rig's a solid character. His story wasn't the greatest to me but his gameplay was the biggest reason why he's my current main. Hopefully we see improvements with his story and defensive tools but for now he's really solid. I anticipate more moves if anything but we'll see in the near future likely what happens with Rig.

Pro's:
Excellent gameplay
Not the hardest to approach
His "villain" segment has promise

Con's:
Story was still lacking and felt forced in some cases
Defensive gameplay leaves some things to be desired
Still a bit of an execution barrier.
Rig.%28Dead.Or.Alive%29.full.1171430.jpg

Last edited:

Onryoki

Standard Donor
I can't believe this is a thread, you have to Evaluate your main character for a game that hasn't even been announced yet ? This is nothing more than a speculation thread . What a joke.

T..J. Bernard

I can't believe this is a thread, you have to Evaluate your main character for a game that hasn't even been announced yet ? This is nothing more than a speculation thread . What a joke.

Yes. I mean I feel it’d be a good idea to reflect on what was good and bad about your character in DOA 5 and look to what you would want improved for the next game. If you don’t want to do it, you don’t have to. You acting like I’m forcing you to type this out.

KwonJigglypuff

DOA5 resume: Helena had pretty good additions/changes in each edition in terms of moves (33P4P, 66K+H, 214P+K, 8PP2P) and costumes (C1 is her best one). However, I didn't feel she had as many memorable moments as in DOA4 during the storyline. The dialogue with Bass was sweet and warm, but that's it! Plus her ponytail was terrible. Overall, her gameplay felt newer and more solid than ever (reliability of her stance, even better mix-up game, new weight class and great SS_K). I don't care much about tier though. So let's say Helena had one of the best transition from DOA4 to DOA5, technically and esthetically. Now, let's talk about what I'd like to see for her in the next game, provided TN keeps the same philosophy for her of course!

Moveset

- Follow-ups after 66K+H (similar to her 214P+K or 33P4P)
- A BT throw (BT opponent)
- A BKO low throw
- A BT relauncher
- A Lisa/Helena tag
- A Bayman/Helena tag
- A reverence taunt from BKO

Casual
- Her glorious ponytail back
- Braid bun or beehive hairstyle
- This legacy, casual and cocktail costumes
- These four old Piquaquan costumes
- More bow options (old versions)
- OPERA DRESS

1410633368-c307v.gif

Bonus
A Helena/Christie confrontation on Fredom Survivor, à la Titanic, with a near-death experience into the abysses of the ocean.

@T..J. Bernard Rig could have new yakuza-like tattoos.
@King Anubis I find the only problem could be with the title, but the idea of having each member solely speculate on their main characters is good as it gives legitimacy to the requests. Also, I'm curious to see what people have in mind for characters that feel incomplete, undefined or improvable (Mila even if she is already very cool atm).

Last edited:

Onryoki

Standard Donor
Yes. I mean I feel it’d be a good idea to reflect on what was good and bad about your character in DOA 5 and look to what you would want improved for the next game. If you don’t want to do it, you don’t have to. You acting like I’m forcing you to type this out.
lucille-portable.gif

I just don't see the point of this thread because it's basically another one of those "what do you want in DOA 6" threads.

@KwonJigglypuff our opinions are different on this topic Kwon so let's agree to disagree.

Onryoki

Standard Donor
Then that’s on you. Again, not forcing you to type to this thread. But I find it useful and I feel it’s worth discussing.
I know that's why I said "I don't see the point of this thread" emphasis on the I. Anyway since this is one of many I guess I'll respond to it.

Kasumi :kasumi:
Story: to me Kasumi changed a lot when I look back at DOA3 Kasumi seems stronger and tries less to run from her problems from what I've noticed. I hope that in DOA6 her strong personality will develop more and that she'll show Hayabusa that she's on his level and can handle things on her own.

Gameplay: I think Kasumi is an amazing character, she's fairly easy to pick up and is fun to fight with overall. She has a pretty big moveset compared to other characters so she has a lot of mix ups, she's really fast and can easily interrupt other people. The only downside she has is that she's very unsafe, has bad ranged tools and relies a lot on counter hits to get her stun game going.

Execution: She has a low learning curve but is hard to use at a higher level.

Best things for 6:
- Character improvement.
- being a safer character.
- getting better default costumes
- getting a new music theme
- getting a new powerblow.

Worst things for 6:
- Being portrayed as weak.
- getting less focused on because of Honoka and Marie.
- being unsafer than in 5.
- Not getting a tag intro outtro and tag throw with Momiji.

Momiji:momiji:
Story: She didn't have a story in 5 so Idk what I can expect from her in 6. I doubt she'll play a huge roll in the story.

Gameplay: She's a very safe character that's amazing at keeping the opponent at a distance, she's safe and has good damage, only thing I miss in her gameplay that I wanna see in 6 is more moves so she can mix up more.

Execution: Just like Kasumi she's easy to learn but hard to master, she doesn't have any mix up so it's hard to win with her.

Best things for 6:
- Getting loose hair.
- Getting better outfits
- Her winning the 6th tournament.
- Getting a larger moveset
- Being tag partners with Kasumi.

Worst things for 6:
- Still having a small moveset.
- Playing a very minor role in the story.

Raidou:cyborg:
Story: Idk where to start with him, him being the original villain of DOA makes everything good. His background is what makes him amazing imo. He's a very strong character and him being in 6 will make the story much more interesting.

Gameplay: Raidou hits hard, he's a very strong character, he's relatively slow, unsafe and barely has any mix ups but besides that he's a good character.

Execution:
Raidou is the type of character that's hard to pick up, you have to get used to his moves with the harder inputs to use him to his full potential. Once you've mastered the inputs and know how to use him he's a pain in the ass to fight.

Best things for 6:
- More moves
- having easier inputs

Worst things for 6:
- Not getting new moves
- still having the harder inputs

Bacaww

I'll keep it short and simple

:ayane: Story: Pretty sad backstory.

Gameplay: Ayane excels at keeping opponents out and controlling the situations, she has very fast pokes (2p being 0) and is relatively safe BUT also has an unsafe side

Execution: Pretty advanced so not an easy character to pick up and play "right" By right I mean not mashing buttons and just randomly rolling toward the opponent believe it or not, this will eventually not work once you play against good players.

Best things for 6:
- I think shes in a pretty good spot right now and doesnt need change.

Worst things for 6:
- Getting more unsafe moves

:leifang: Story: that cabbage fight though

Gameplay: Ah yes here she is, the most troll character with her "shoulder" and safe moves. All jokes aside, Leifang is one of the most well-rounded chars in the cast, she has: parries, advanced hold, a safe moveset, offensive holds, good pokes and okay-ish range. She is a very good defensive character but has good offense too. Also she can get away with the most bs things after her safe moves.

Execution: Eh wouldnt say shes very beginner-friendly with her moves she requires some frame data.

Best things for 6:
- No Jann Lee chase like wtf
- More Hitomi and Lei adventures ~~ maybe a cauliflower fight?
- More moves that go into BT

Worst things for 6:
- Her silly gameplay being even more sillier

:kasumi: Story: She the main character so why not?

Gameplay: Kasumi is a pretty well-rounded char but where she excels in my opinion, is her very fast pokes that catch people off guard. She is great at delaying her strings and has parries aswell. But she is unsafe as heck which has already been said by @King Anubis

Execution: Imo she is pretty underrated in the high-levels she is still unsafe but I feel like they dont study the Kasumi match-up too much which can be their weakness. Great beginner char though

Best things for 6:
- Being safer
- Her CB being a follow-up after 66PP

Worst things for 6:
- Getting even more unsafe moves

:marierose:Story: She has one

Gameplay: Extremely fun to play but gimmicky, Marie Rose has 3 stances: Rondo (basically a sabaki), Flower Wheel and Minuet (infamous sidestep) these stances are what make her fun to play.
She has plenty of moves that go into her Minuet and Rondo, but also good neutral pokes. Her mix-ups mainly come from her Minuet T (an offensive hold that guarantees H+K) but she also has okay string manipulation. Most of her moves are safe when finished but unsafe when free-cancelled. The biggest issue with Marie is that spacing characters really counter her, she doenst have many tools to go in nor keep the opponent out. You could compare her to Leifang

Execution: All the moves that go into her stances and he stances self may confuse a beginner which is why I dont really recommend her as a beginner char, shes quite advanced. Against good opponents it will be harder to get your mix-ups started.

Best things for 6:
- Getting spacing tools
- Sidestep being less buggy

Worst things for 6:
- She becomes a moe hoe
- Being included with Honoka

:phase4: Story: weak, just another clone but WAIT this one has emotions too! *yawn*

Gameplay: Amazing character with fast moves and really high damage. Phase 4's damage mainly comes from her teleport combos, the teleport timing may require some getting used to but once you master her teleport she is really good. Her teleport mix-ups are in my opinion one of the best out there, they deal a shit ton of damage and can confuse the opponent hard. Her advanced holds also help her mix-up game. Unlike Kasumi, Phase 4 doenst have any parries and also has way less moves that are safe. Phase 4's weaknesses is how unsafe she is and that her neutral game is mediocre.

Execution: Very technical character, wouldnt recommend for beginners as her teleport takes a while to get the hang of. Against good players phase 4 will have it difficult to get her offense started, especially if the opponents punish her with throws.

Best things for 6:
- Like Kasumi, more safe moves
- Make her her own char instead of a kasumi clone
- 2K having a follow-up its kinda bland

Worst things for 6:
- Not getting a story

:kokoro: Story: I like her story, her father being Helena's father too

Gameplay: Kokoro has a great neutral game, she is very safe andable to delay and pressure a lot and she has a command throw called Heichu included in her strings that can open the opponent up. Her mix-up game is definitely enhanced by Heichu, Kokoros strength lies in opening opponents up who are overdefensive. The downside of Kokoro is that she has little to no tracking moves and variety in crushes. She mainly has high crushes and moves that have H+K in them are the only ones that track. She's not necessarily a character who you juggle a lot with, she's more a character who you manipulate the stun system with.

Execution: She is a good beginner character, not too complex but still a great one to pick up.

Best things for 6:
- Getting a personality
- Getting a smaller forehead
- More tracking moves
- Better crush variety

Worst things for 6:
- I actually cant come up with anything that would be bad for her

:honoka:Story: Cliche Japanese high school girl that was made in the depths of hell

Gameplay: Honoka has to be one of the most underexplored and underrated characters. People often just look at her as a character who just has a portion of everyones moveset combined into one. Which I admit is true, but shes still good. She has very fast moves, quite a lot of guard breaks, great mix-ups with multiple stances and good damage. Her weakness is her limited range, she is easily spaced she doesnt have a lot of moves to go in that are good since most can be sidesteppes, definitely a close-range character.

Execution: Beginner-friendly but once you go up against the good players her weakness will definitely be exposed.

Best things for 6:
- Better spacing tools
- not that moe booby shit
- More original moves

Worst things for 6:
- Including her with Marie

Dont worry, almost at the end of my line xD

:bayman:Story: I mean its an assassin battle between him and Christie

Gameplay: Bayman is somewhat relatable to Leifang, he has offensive holds and very strong throws. The difference is that his gameplan is based more on offensive holds. Bayman is NOT the char who you want to juggle with he is more about throwing the opponent off with OH's and stopping the assault. His Tank Roll is one of his most evasive moves. His moveset also contains wall grabs, after 6T to a wall PP is guaranteed.

Execution: I do not recommend him to beginners, he is advanced and should probaly be picked up after you have an understanding of the game.

Best things for 6:
- Better outfits imo they are mediocre

Worst things for 6:

And thats basically all my chars, I skipped a few of them so the thread wouldnt be bombarbed by me im sorry if its too long xD

:hitomi:
Story: Her involvement with the ninjas especially her rivalry with Leifang and Jann Lee especially the Cabbage

Gameplay: ...

Execution: ...

Best things for 6: Bring her DOAD outfit back because I see it fits her more than the DOA5 version. I feel like she needs to play the role in the plot and expand her relationship with Leifang to an intense type this time. I want to see how her feelings for Eliot is shown this time.

Worst things for 6: Do not dismiss her as just a supporting character due to the popularity she's received. Also do not give her the same look as 5 and keep it like 3. Also they better not nerf her down.

:leifang:
Story: Her rivalry with Hitomi and Jann Lee as well as the cabbage.

Gameplay:....

Execution: ...

Best things for 6: Expand her rivalry with Hitomi and Jann Lee. Keep her as high tier as possible because I can see how much of a better character see is in terms of defense. Also make her outfit more revealing and changer her hair style to the Last Round's version. I hope she plays a role in the story because I felt the moment she met Kasumi Alpha in DOA4. I also want to see how Leifang and Eliot interact.

Worst things for 6: Do not make give her a short haircut since I feel is unlikable and that her long hair version appeals more in terms of beauty.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD