Fighter graphics and art style discussion

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Let's talk about the graphics, design and art style of the upcoming fighters in here. :)
How do or will fighters look on the current generation consoles and PC? Here's a little overview to start things off:

Killer Instinct (already released, Xbone):

KI_ImageGallery_151.jpg

KI_ImageGallery_26.jpg

2D9753234-killerinstinct.jpg

Guilty Gear Xrd (December 2014 release, old and current generation consoles):

ggxrd-oct2014-screenshot21.jpg

ggxrd-oct2014-screenshot5.jpg

ggxrd-oct2014-screenshot19.jpg

Dead or Alive 5 Last Round (2015 release, old and current generation consoles):

dead_or_alive_5_last_round11111.jpg

282979-1.jpg

Dead-or-Alive-5-Last-Round-22.jpg

Tekken 7 (2015 release, arcade and current generation consoles):

tekken_7-004.jpg

Tekken7Screen4.jpg

157743d1413887544-tekken-7-tekken-7_2014_10-20-14_006.jpg

Mortal Kombat X (2015 release, current generation consoles and PC):

mortal-kombat-x-gamescom-screenshot-kano.jpg

mortal-kombat-x-e3-screenshot-dvorah-intro-cove.jpg

mortal-kombat-x-gamescom-screenshot-kano-vs-sub-zero-01.jpg

Street Fighter V (2015 release, current generation consoles and PC):

sf5-hd-screenshot5.jpg

sf5-hd-screenshot4.jpg

sf5-hd-screenshot.jpg

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
So far I have to admit, I'm not overly impressed with the graphics of the current generation fighters. :/ I expected them to be more polished (better polygon models, better texturing). Mortal Kombat X imho promises to be the best looking fighter so far, Tekken 7 the worst looking (what's up with these blocky polygon models and the plastic textures?) and Guilty Gear Xrd and Street Fighter V will mostly impress with interesting art styles.
Now I'm really thrilled to see the next Soul Calibur. I have high hopes, this game will look absolutely gorgeous. :) DOA6 will probably be a little late to the party, but I expect high end graphics there as well...at least for the girls. ;)

Lady Tengu

Add Spoilers Please! xD But yes I agree with you on tekken it could do much better! But another thing about SCVI is what cup size is Ivy now xD! I swear those things grow each game!

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Add Spoilers Please! xD But yes I agree with you on tekken it could do much better! But another thing about SCVI is what cup size is Ivy now xD! I swear those things grow each game!

Aaaww...I hate putting pictures in spoilers! D: This thread is all about the graphics... Do I have to? :(

I think, it's actually really sad, that Tekken 7's character models look noticeably worse, than the old DOA5 character models:

lucky-chloe-tekken7-screenshot.jpg

aca24bbdd3e9bfdb65cb0fa56d167dcadb6774e0.jpg

Lady Tengu

Right! I mean look at her hair and "hands"! That's sorta sad for Game title that suppose the last one of the series.

CFW

That's sorta sad for Game title that suppose the last one of the series.

This was never confirmed to be the last of the series. Honestly I think the Tekken 7 models are better than the DOA models, but the game isn't even finished so I'll wait.

And about your Ivy comment, wtf are you talking about? If anything, her breasts have gotten smaller.

Yurlungur

They gave her tits a much needed nerf in 5, trust me everyone complained about them

Kodachi

Standard Donor
Killer Instinct and MKX definitely have the best graphics but I really love the new art style for Street fighter no more caveman proportions yay. DOA5LR looks as good as DOA5 but they could have pushed the graphics a bit more imo.
They gave her tits a much needed nerf in 5, trust me everyone complained about them
She just finally discovered bras and she looked so much more mature and sexy than she had ever been, fits her aesthetic much better.
ivy.jpg

Kasumi-Phase-X

Aaaww...I hate putting pictures in spoilers! D: This thread is all about the graphics... Do I have to? :(

I think, it's actually really sad, that Tekken 7's character models look noticeably worse, than the old DOA5 character models:

lucky-chloe-tekken7-screenshot.jpg

aca24bbdd3e9bfdb65cb0fa56d167dcadb6774e0.jpg

While I understand that Tekken 7 models along with the graphics, textures, & shaders (which is also a response to the Tekken: Electric Wastemen Central comment you've mention when it came to Lucky Chloe) doesn't look that great comparing to other fighters, but this is still early which part of Lucky Chloe's trailer looks pretty similar to how the female veterans use to look like except it didn't look much better (considering this was an Alpha build) and even the males look exactly like their TTT2-Revolution models. (which the New Trailer actually did change part of the models or looks much better than the current alpha build) Part of the Alpha build when it came to graphics were only at 60%, while the character lighting, skin shader, and other effects were not implemented which would be why they look rough or models not looking detail.

My biggest recommend is wait until more details are conformed and when Tekken 7 got its Arcade releases and its home console release. Because things can change or can do much better. Remember Anna's face use to look like in TTT2 before her face got changed to what we official got.

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb...iams_-_Character_Model_Comparisons_-_TTT2.png

Even Killer Instinct at first when first revealed didn't look as good compare to the Season 1 release. Even TJ Combo from the first trailer of Season 2 didn't look very detail. All it boils down to is what will be getting for the final product.

Reactions: CFW

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Killer Instinct and MKX definitely have the best graphics but I really love the new art style for Street fighter no more caveman proportions yay.

The cavemen proportions are still there, It's just the faces, that they made more attractive. ;) Look at those thighs, feet and hands:

sf5-trailer-screenshot2.png

While I understand that Tekken 7 models along with the graphics, textures, & shaders (which is also a response to the Tekken: Electric Wastemen Central comment you've mention when it came to Lucky Chloe) doesn't look that great comparing to other fighters, but this is still early which part of Lucky Chloe's trailer looks pretty similar to how the female veterans use to look like except it didn't look much better (considering this was an Alpha build) and even the males look exactly like their TTT2-Revolution models. (which the New Trailer actually did change part of the models or looks much better than the current alpha build) Part of the Alpha build when it came to graphics were only at 60%, while the character lighting, skin shader, and other effects were not implemented which would be why they look rough or models not looking detail.

I don't think, it is too early at all, to judge the graphics. The game is already perfectly running and playable in arcades and they already revealed new characters, which were build completely new, not taken from TT2 or Tekken Revolution. The game will also come out early next year, not long after DOA5 Last Round. Don't be so blue eyed, to believe the developers with their: "Graphics are only half done, don't worry, it'll look amazing"-blahblah. It's what they always say. ;) It's what they have to say! They did exactly that, when DOA5 Last Round was announced. They said it was only 60% done and they will show true PS4 gameplay later and graphics will be even more polished. Everyone in here was like: "Whoa, we haven't even seen current gen footage yet! New character models, better textures, it will look amaaaazing!" Only I and maybe a handful of others in here were like: "Uhm...guys...what we saw in the trailer was already PS4 footage, the screens too, but they were bull shots with the aliasing manually blurred out. There won't be new character models and there won't be better textures, just a higher resolution. The game is basically already finished!" But hardly anyone wanted to believe us...until now, I guess. ;)

d3v

Street Fighter will most likely always have those proportions because they're based on how Capcom's signature art style from the 90s looks like.
many_bengus.jpg

demitri-original.jpg

Specifically, SFV's art looks like it's very much based on Ikeno's art.
c4e5ce6d1edf138679ba8ce226a04298.jpg

If you look here.
dmzh7Mj.jpg
The game is pretty much closer in style to 3rd Strike than IV.

P.S. The game will likely not hit until 2016.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Great post, @d3v! Thanks! :D

Yes, 3rd strike is definitely their inspiration and I think, that's cool and a very fitting choice for the game...but still...there are some people out there (like me), who would have wished, to see a Street Fighter in this kind of art style:

tekken-x-ryu2.jpg

tekken-x-ryu.jpg

These are concepts of the planned Tekken X Street Fighter. Who knows, if that game is still in developement. :/

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
That "signature" style is because you want to make the attacking body parts more visible. They were always exaggerated for that effect. Look at Super Turbo and notice how Guile's hand is as big as his head. For Chun Li it's her thighs and legs, for Ryu it's his hands and feet (for his poking, tatsu, shoryuken, and hadouken).

Tyaren

Standard Donor
But at that point, the game just looks like every fighting game going for a photorealistic artstyle out there.
I wonder, why they didn't go all the way to an anime art style, like Guilty Gear Xrd... Would imho be more fitting, than this clay(?) figure style.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
That would be a weird, shortsighted reason... You should give a game the perfectly fitting art style, that it deserves and not look at other game series of the same company, to determine a common, known style. No gaming company does that. Not even Capcom. Viewtiful Joe for example also uses an anime/cell shading style. Or the game Tatsunoko vs Capcom. Here, Chun Li in anime/cell shaded style:

17mxaxowmq9x6jpg.jpg

Most of the concept art d3v showcased here are also anime style. There must be another reason...

CFW

I don't think, it is too early at all, to judge the graphics. The game is already perfectly running and playable in arcades and they already revealed new characters, which were build completely new, not taken from TT2 or Tekken Revolution. The game will also come out early next year, not long after DOA5 Last Round. Don't be so blue eyed, to believe the developers with their: "Graphics are only half done, don't worry, it'll look amazing"-blahblah. It's what they always say. ;) It's what they have to say! They did exactly that, when DOA5 Last Round was announced. They said it was only 60% done and they will show true PS4 gameplay later and graphics will be even more polished. Everyone in here was like: "Whoa, we haven't even seen current gen footage yet! New character models, better textures, it will look amaaaazing!" Only I and maybe a handful of others in here were like: "Uhm...guys...what we saw in the trailer was already PS4 footage, the screens too, but they were bull shots with the aliasing manually blurred out. There won't be new character models and there won't be better textures, just a higher resolution. The game is basically already finished!" But hardly anyone wanted to believe us...until now, I guess. ;)

If you actually paid attention to the other trailer you would notice that other characters have changed considerably since the loc test builds. This is a low quality video, but the changes so far are still noticeable.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
If you actually paid attention to the other trailer you would notice that other characters have changed considerably since the loc test builds. This is a low quality video, but the changes so far are still noticeable.

I know this trailer. I really wished, they'd let us see a high quality video of Tekken 7 already, because I can't make out much of the details so far.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD