Fighter graphics and art style discussion

Paige

https://henryque999.deviantart.com/art/XPS-DOA5-Costume-3-Bayman-703652992
https://rolance.deviantart.com/art/WARRIORS-ALL-STARS-William-691616369
The models can now be loaded in a 3D viewer like XPS.

45867.jpg

84215.jpg

34938.jpg

14187.jpg

79148.jpg

Other DOA5 characters could have been used as a base as well for Nioh.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
The black guy eerily reminds me of Zack

Apart from being a black man and having a bald shaved head I don't think he looks much like Zack. Completely different nose (much broader here), he has strong, straight eyebrows (Zack has thin and arched ones) and he has a grey full beard instead of a goatee.

I have to say, all the characters in Nioh look great. If they are any indication of what characters might look like in DOA6, we will be in for a treat...and Tekken 7 will in comparison look like from a past generation. ;)

Here are some of Injustice 2's in-game character models:
(The lighting is purposely very flat here, so they might look a little weird and unnatural.)
brendan-george-hq-master-face.jpg

brendan-george-aq-master-face.jpg

brendan-george-bc-master-face.jpg

brendan-george-fs-master-face.jpg

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Apart from being a black man and having a bald shaved head I don't think he looks much like Zack. Completely different nose (much broader here), he has strong, straight eyebrows (Zack has thin and arched ones) and he has a grey full beard instead of a goatee.

I have to say, all the characters in Nioh look great. If they are any indication of what characters might look like in DOA6, we will be in for a treat...and Tekken 7 will in comparison look like from a past generation. ;)

Here are some of Injustice 2's in-game character models:
(The lighting is purposely very flat here, so they might look a little weird and unnatural.)
brendan-george-hq-master-face.jpg

brendan-george-aq-master-face.jpg

brendan-george-bc-master-face.jpg

brendan-george-fs-master-face.jpg
Niohs graphics could be better but for what it's worth it's better than DOA5 and hopefully if they use the Nioh artstyle it'll have a more solid look to it. Tekken may not to most people here look as good as DOA but it definitely has better lighting and shaders which give it a more solid look. You can literally take the same shot of a character on all stages and each stages unique lighting and shadows makes the characters and their clothes look almost completely different and certain lighting compliments characters better than others:

DJtj-JGXcAAcUI7

DJtkJJkUQAA7EJb

DJQElUTXoAAGId7

The bodies may not be as detailed as DOA curve wise but it's also nicely done imo

Dissidia Is another game I have a love for, the artstyle is probably one of my faves atm

DIuh_LOWsAIJqUL

DIuhn0OXYAI8-Bo

Also strangely enough I don't think Harley or Aquaman looked weird or unnatural with the lighting, Black Canary does tho which is fine since I personally don't like her, I dont find her really attractive

Tyaren

Standard Donor
The only thing good about the Tekken 7 screens is the skin shader. It indeed looks natural and has a nice warmth to it. Other that that, sorry Tekken 7 is not a good looking game, especially not on consoles with their low resolution image quality and significantly downgraded effects.

The "hair" looks like molten plastic here and the polygon mesh and texture quality of her clothes look atrocious for a PS4 game. I've seen better character models in the early years of the PS3.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
The only thing good about the Tekken 7 screens is the skin shader. It indeed looks natural and has a nice warmth to it. Other that that, sorry Tekken 7 is not a good looking game, especially not on consoles with their low resolution image quality and significantly downgraded effects.

The "hair" looks like molten plastic here and the polygon mesh and texture quality of her clothes look atrocious for a PS4 game. I've seen better character models in the early years of the PS3.
It's better than DOA's loose thin rendered hair XD and the clothes are better than most of the DOA DLC imo. It's not a perfect game but it definitely has a more solid current look. I will say Injustice 2 looks the best atm but I wouldn't say early ps3 models are better

Tyaren

Standard Donor
It's better than DOA's loose thin rendered hair XD and the clothes are better than most of the DOA DLC imo. It's not a perfect game but it definitely has a more solid current look. I will say Injustice 2 looks the best atm but I wouldn't say early ps3 models are better

The hair of Tekken 7 characers, especially the example I was referring to, is factually not better than DOA 5's hair, but of lower quality. I will explain this one last time to you. (Seriously, we had this discussion so many times already...) Putting it in spoilers though because many pics:
Just because you have this weird preference of thick plastic or rubber hair, that's moving and layered like tentacles (you even prefer DOA4's hair over DOA5), does not mean it is better or let's say technically/graphically more advanced. On the contrary, Tekken 7's hair actually cuts a lot more corners than DOA5's hair:
Tekken 7 uses visibly less polygons to model hair. You clearly notice the angular polygon shapes. The alpha effects it uses to create fringes and transparency are of lower quality and resolution as well. It is simply a fact and you can easily notice it by direct comparison.

DA6K0xNWsAEXWZ_.jpg

dead_or_alive_5_tina_armstrong_screenshoot_by_desmondlogan-d5iyf72.jpg

35056095995_36c9fa5654_o.png

37046503766_62af126cfb_o.jpg

211645.jpg

37093862881_149c71ae3f_o.jpg

Now, you might not like the transparency effect DOA5 hair uses, because it makes the hair appear thinner, but that is a subjective feelingy you have. Objectively, technically and graphically DOA 5's hair is of higher quality. Period.

One aspect that Tekken 7 is of course much more advanced in is overall physics. Those physics, like realistic movement for example, are mostly not even applied to hair though. You noticed yourself that they actually cut that back on Lili's part early in the development of the game. So not even in that regard can Tekken 7 actually point.

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
If they have long hair I think team ninja needs to abandon the whole "going over the shoulders" thing since they have to downgrade the hair to prevent clipping which is why I think they make it thin. In TTT2 Lili has nice flowing thick hair which wasn't able to go over her shoulder which I prefer. It's nice to have hair that goes over the shoulder like how hair is in real life but TN should work on making it flow better and having weight to it since hair actually carries weight and doesn't flow as lightly as how DOA5 hair does.

These are the only real game loose hair depictions that impressed me tbh, notice how they all stay in one designated area and don't :

RichCautiousDromedary.gif

fnsJnoL.gif

XnFVZIw.gif

When hair is designated and limited to one area they can focus more on flow which I like and they can add more natural weight and thickness to it

T7 had it early on with Lili in the beta but that was when they still used the TTT2 models and didn't really adjust, and even then it sometimes clipped into her shoulders
61c25d5ace6e56f74787a01e62edbef77cf3440d_hq.gif

Lili also uses the hair physics when she bowls in Tekken 7 too which is further proof that they probably did intend to work on it but never did due time restraints.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD