Final Fantasy Thread

Argentus

If you count being a reckless idiot and fucking things up badass, then yeah I guess he's a badass.

Lightning was pretty much always the star of the show, they showed her off as the cloud-esque soldier girl right off the bat.
I could argue that. Most of the game the stars of the show were Snow, Hope, and Fang.

Lightning was pretty much just a crowdfiller, background extra for most of the game.

Also something else I never liked about her design is the way her gunblade is carried. How is that now always hitting the back of her legs?! Ever hit the back of your knee before? the right tap and your leg collapses.

Nikotsumi

Hmm... did we play the same game? I don't mean to burst your bubbles guys, but XIII's main focus was Fang and in particular Vanille, the story is even narrated from her point of view.
I feel those two were the "stars of the show", even more than Lightning, sure they showed her off A LOT at the beginning of the game but that was about it, still don't know how she's the "real" protagonist (of the main game) tbh but ok. The others all have pretty much the same relevance.

Anyway, Snow was lame.

HajinMonSect

he was one of my 2 constant party members when given a chance, because he was pretty awesome. Shivacycle, plus being the "monk" of the game, was cool seeing him bare fist all the enemies while throwing grenades.

he was one of only 2 badasses in FFXIII, Snow and Fang. Could argue Szazh or however you spell it was another, he was cool too.

Well I'm not going to say you're opinion is wrong just mine differs greatly. I always saw Snow as a wannabe. He would never try his best to help or fix things he would always do it because he wants to be a "hero". I'm a hero! Heroes do this. Time for some try hard stupid Snow tactics, is what I always thought when he showed up. He could never do anything without giving a grand speech and exposition about what makes him a hero and why he's doing whatever stupid thing he does. He could never just show up and help or try to work with others. A complete an absolute moron.

The only time he ever really came off as sincere was in Lightning Returns where he had real emotional weight and ideas that were effected by his experiences, none of all that pointless ideal Saturday morning wannabe shonen for 8 yrs olds shit.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
22046983_10203263956555985_394703080792398658_n.jpg

-Throws money to one shot everything in the game.-

UpSideDownGRUNT

Hmm... did we play the same game? I don't mean to burst your bubbles guys, but XIII's main focus was Fang and in particular Vanille, the story is even narrated from her point of view.
I feel those two were the "stars of the show", even more than Lightning, sure they showed her off A LOT at the beginning of the game but that was about it, still don't know how she's the "real" protagonist (of the main game) tbh but ok. The others all have pretty much the same relevance.

Anyway, Snow was lame.
Yes, but Lightning is the one on the boxart AND she's the XIII rep for FFXIII in Dissidia which all so far are each game's protagonists.

The story may revolve around them, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're protagonists. Plus, you can argue the story also revolves around Serah Lightnings sister.

Nikotsumi

Yes, but Lightning is the one on the boxart AND she's the XIII rep for FFXIII in Dissidia which all so far are each game's protagonists.

The story may revolve around them, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're protagonists.
Well, I didn't say otherwise, but being in the boxart doesn't necessarily mean being the protagonist, neither does being a rep in Dissidia, I mean... just look at Vaan (and don't even tell me he's the actual protagonist).
Actually, her being in the boxart isn't something positive imo, because that would make me expect that she's really the best/most important character of the game, just to find out later that she isn't (same thing with Ace). She's for sure the most popular character of the XIII trilogy no doubt and she's still important in terms of storyline and has some sort of develpoment (as well as the other characters), I just felt that Fang and Vanille were "more" then her, and that's why I liked them.

Let's just say I view as the protagonist a main character around whom the main plot's events revolve, and I don't think Lighting fits it in XIII, like for example Cloud, Zidane or Tidus, or rather, she does but the whole group as well.
Plus, you can argue the story also revolves around Serah Lightnings sister.
It does, but it doesn't mean that Serah is a protagonist, she's absent for almost the enitre game for plot reasons, she's a key character for the story but not a protagonist, much like Aerith.

Last edited:

HajinMonSect

Well, I didn't say otherwise, but being in the boxart doesn't necessarily mean being the protagonist, neither does being a rep in Dissidia, I mean... just look at Vaan (and don't even tell me he's the actual protagonist).
Actually, her being in the boxart isn't something positive imo, because that would make me expect that she's really the best/most important character of the game, just to find out later that she isn't (same thing with Ace). She's for sure the most popular character of the XIII trilogy no doubt and she's still important in terms of storyline and has some sort of develpoment (as well as the other characters), I just felt that Fang and Vanille were "more" then her, and that's why I liked them.

Let's just say I view as the protagonist a main character around whom the main plot's events revolve, and I don't think Lighting fits it in XIII, like for example Cloud, Zidane or Tidus, or rather, she does but the whole group as well.
It does, but it doesn't mean that Serah is a protagonist, she's absent for almost the enitre game for plot reasons, she's a key character for the story but not a protagonist, much like Aerith.

Not to but into this discussion but to but into this discussion, *ahem* you can't decide who the protagonist is, its given through the work. Also the protagonist isn't the most important character but the one that sets everything into play and moves the story along, that was Lightning. She got Sazh involved, she had the goal of killing the falcie or lcie or whatever the gods were called (been a short while). Vanille was kidnapped and saved by Lightning, Fang gave in and became Ragnarok etc. Lightning moved along the entire story cause she was the given protagonist, no other character could of made the events occur in ffxiii as Cute Eclair did (I prefer Eclair cause it always makes me think of her being filled with cream.

As for XII, as much as I wish Ashe or Balthier was given protagonist status square stated that they wanted it to be Vaan so that the younger audience who they believed to be the main players of FF could relate to him and he was. Ashe was much more important but Vaan moved the story along. Finding the magicite, convincing Balthier to help, rescuing Penelo, his actions leading to Ashe to be able to prove her birth rite etc etc. Square could've easily written the things that made him a protagonist out (balthier could've decided on his own to help) but they didn't cause they wanted him to be the protagonist.

Nikotsumi

Not to but into this discussion but to but into this discussion, *ahem* you can't decide who the protagonist is, its given through the work. Also the protagonist isn't the most important character but the one that sets everything into play and moves the story along, that was Lightning. She got Sazh involved, she had the goal of killing the falcie or lcie or whatever the gods were called (been a short while). Vanille was kidnapped and saved by Lightning, Fang gave in and became Ragnarok etc. Lightning moved along the entire story cause she was the given protagonist, no other character could of made the events occur in ffxiii as Cute Eclair did (I prefer Eclair cause it always makes me think of her being filled with cream.
Yeah, except everything you mentioned about her/the story is wrong.
The one who prompted the Purge was the Sanctum after the Vanille and Fang's awakening from crystal stasis made the Sanctum find the entrance to the Pulse fal'Cie' Vestige near Bodhum (in the meantime Serah became a l'Cie and got captured be the Pulse fal'cie). The Purge made everyone who was in Bodhum involved, Sazh and Lightning were both there together, don't see how Lightning got Sazh involved.
Her focus was not to kill anyone, the whole party's focus was to destroy Cocoon, everyone being a Pulse fal'Cie.
When was Vanille kidnapped and saved by Lightning again? These two actually have almost no interaction in the game.
Lightning moved nothing even later on, everything was pretty much planned and decided by the fal'Cie (Barthandelus) and the whole party seemed it was going along with it, until the end... when they decided they can choose their fate and not to be any God's slave (which is like the main theme of the Fabula Nova Crystallis games).
Fang decided to became Ragnarock by herself (at first) to not get Vanille involved.

Also, if I remember correctly in the XIII Ultimania they mentioned that they were considering Vanille as the "official" protagonist, but later they decided Lightning was a better rapresentat for the game, so I can only assume that they didn't do big changes on the story after their decision, it would explain everything.

I don't hate Lighting or anything (I like her quite a bit in LR), but I'm just saying it's really hard for me to view her as the protagonist in XIII, even if SE says it. If she is, then the whole party is as well.
I'm also ok with her being the representant in Dissidia lol.

Argentus

Well I'm not going to say you're opinion is wrong just mine differs greatly. I always saw Snow as a wannabe. He would never try his best to help or fix things he would always do it because he wants to be a "hero". I'm a hero! Heroes do this. Time for some try hard stupid Snow tactics, is what I always thought when he showed up. He could never do anything without giving a grand speech and exposition about what makes him a hero and why he's doing whatever stupid thing he does. He could never just show up and help or try to work with others. A complete an absolute moron.

The only time he ever really came off as sincere was in Lightning Returns where he had real emotional weight and ideas that were effected by his experiences, none of all that pointless ideal Saturday morning wannabe shonen for 8 yrs olds shit.

oh no arguing that he was a wannabe, that's part of his story, that he's putting on a big show for others, and his character development deals with that. Just arguing that he was still one of the main focal points of the story. Snow, Hope, and Fang WERE the plot. Szazh has a side thing about his kid, and Vanille was just Fang's plot device, and then Lightning was basically just along for the ride and had nothing to do with anything other than being Serah's sister who disapproves of Snow.

I will NEVER understand how Lightning got popular though, I guess is what i'm saying. She's was just a crowd filler in the original FFXIII, and not even a particularly cool one at that.

This. Fang was the protagonist more than anyone else.

The story may revolve around them, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're protagonists. Plus, you can argue the story also revolves around Serah Lightnings sister.

Lightning is the protagonist for XIII in the same way Giorno is the protagonist for Part V, in that he's not really, the protagonist and focal is actually Bruno, Giorno is just kinda "there" and helps out. In the same vein, Lightning isn't actually the protagonistnor "main character", that goes to Fang. Seriously, once everyone gets together and especially after Fang finally shows up, Lightning stops being relevant in pretty much any way until the sequels. She barely even has any scenes or dialogue.

Honestly, another way of putting it: Lightning isn't the protagonist, OR the main character. But she IS the MASCOT of FXIII. Then her popularity helped her to become actually relevant in the sequels.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Snow sucks.

Lightning sucks.

Genesis sucks.

Cloud sucks.

Serah is alright.

Cloud sucks.

Irvine is ok.

Cloud sucks.

Tifa is good.

Cloud sucks.