Final Fantasy Thread

Chapstick

Your experience must be different than mine because I can't tell you how many times Vanille in Medic didn't heal me when I needed it the most because she was too busy healing herself or the other party member.

And you could set it to manual but there isn't a real point to it, since it all comes up anyway it was easier and faster to just auto battle though.

As for what you said about mashing X to get through them demo, you must have spent alot of time with your ATB run out because it doesn't fill up THAT quickly, also you're supposed to JF block and stagger the opponent and manually evade attacks.

You might have done it easily enough in the demo but that's just the tutorial the later game won't be as forgiving
I always used Vanille or Lightning as my lead character. :p If you need emergency healing, switch to a paradigm with 2 or 3 medics. You get that healing bonus for having multiple medics too. Forgot how much I loved those bonuses. 3 sentinels guarding all at once take practically 0 damage. ... Maybe I'll start a new XIII save, kinda wanna play it now.

I mashed X until the ATB ran out, switched to the next outfit which had a full ATB, mashed X through that, switched to the next outfit and mashed through that bar, and by that time everything was usually dead. If not, I could switch back to the first outfit and its bar was filled up enough to kill anything left. I stopped to guard like.. Almost never, my attacks always stunned enemies out of attacking.
Open world, 'nuff said.
I forgot to comment on this too. It's open world, with a limit. That limit being a time limit. I like taking my time in JRPGs investigating every nook and cranny. Yes, you can extend your time. But only by so much. My final fantasy game saves have 100+ hours logged into them on average. My XIII has at least that much from CP grinding and weapon upgrading.

UpSideDownGRUNT

Well the director has said that Lightning Returns takes about 50+ hours, but I don't think it was said if that was just story and sidequests and all. My guess is the latter but 50+ hours is still longer than FFXIII-2 was that was really short, too short.

And besides Lightning Returns is pretty much a time filler until FFXV anyway which we're likely to see in 2015.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
Decided to finally preorder the game a few days ago and the wait is going to be hard. My eagerness for Lightning Returns is so high!

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
Didn't know the demo was available. BRB.

Edit: Currently not on PSN dammit.

Last edited:

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
Until the next gen console is announced/released and it will be pushed back another couple years to get onto that one. We can always pray for Type 0 (and SkyBladeCloud's almost complete English patch).

Chapstick

Didn't know the demo was available. BRB.

Edit: Currently not on PSN dammit.
You can make a Japanese account. It's pretty easy. Then you just have to manage to navigate to the game in the store but it's pretty easy since they have bigass ads for it all over. It also makes the demo harder to enjoy because you have no idea what anything says if you don't know Japanese but... you have access to it if you want. xD

Interesting fact about the demo- it ends if you take too long. I stood in place seeing if it would go all the way to the 13th day and I forget how long it was, but it just turned black and went to the main menu. It's nice that it has a little check for if you fall asleep or forget to pause. Leave the controller go for a couple minutes and the game pauses itself.

UpSideDownGRUNT

Yeah I was playing it on Xbox earlier today.
It's exactly the same as the Japanese demo, but atleast now I can understand what's going on.

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
I prefer to play my games in English. The original Dissidia and Tales of Vs. are the only two exceptions I have made. Downloading now.

Edit: A step up from the previous XIII games, enjoyable and fun. Current issue I have with it, using movement seems pointless. I move away from an attack and it turns into a longer ranged version of it. Tried dodging the one boss' fire attack, was better off just guarding it.

Last edited:

Xernuht

Oh, an FF thread! Okay, long story short:

FF: Did not age well. At all.
FFVII: Good fun game, but overrated IMO. Especially Sephiroth. That said, the party's really cool.
FFIX: First one I played, and still my favorite. Personal sentimental value, lots of cool characters, best OST in the franchise, and my favorite villains (minus the space flea).
FFX: Tied for second favorite. Best party, amazing world and story, and a nice way to vary Overdrives.
FFXI: Tried it. Never got the expansions. Watched stuff on YouTube.
FFXII: Loved everything but the gameplay. Watched a playthrough.
FFXIII/FFXIII-2: Again, loved everything but the gameplay. Watched a playthrough of both.

FFT: Tied for second favorite. Truly amazing story, addictive gameplay, beautiful soundtrack.
FFTA: Fun to play, but not particularly good.
DoC: My guilty pleasure. It's a train wreck, but it just hooked me.
AC/ACC: AC's okay, ACC's great.
CC: I bought a PSP for this game. Best retcon ever.
Dissidia/Dissidia 012: Most fun I've had on the PSP short of Gods Eater Burst.

As for LR, I can barely wait. Much as I couldn't manage to play the other two XIII games (I'm a control freak in RPGs. I need to control the entire party's actions at all times, so XII and XIII had systems I couldn't really enjoy.), I was absorbed in the playthroughs. I loved the characters, the story, and I'm anxious to actually play the final game.

I have to pick up the demo tonight.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Oh, an FF thread! Okay, long story short:

FF: Did not age well. At all.
FFVII: Good fun game, but overrated IMO. Especially Sephiroth. That said, the party's really cool.
FFIX: First one I played, and still my favorite. Personal sentimental value, lots of cool characters, best OST in the franchise, and my favorite villains (minus the space flea).
FFX: Tied for second favorite. Best party, amazing world and story, and a nice way to vary Overdrives.
FFXI: Tried it. Never got the expansions. Watched stuff on YouTube.
FFXII: Loved everything but the gameplay. Watched a playthrough.
FFXIII/FFXIII-2: Again, loved everything but the gameplay. Watched a playthrough of both.

FFT: Tied for second favorite. Truly amazing story, addictive gameplay, beautiful soundtrack.
FFTA: Fun to play, but not particularly good.
DoC: My guilty pleasure. It's a train wreck, but it just hooked me.
AC/ACC: AC's okay, ACC's great.
CC: I bought a PSP for this game. Best retcon ever.
Dissidia/Dissidia 012: Most fun I've had on the PSP short of Gods Eater Burst.

As for LR, I can barely wait. Much as I couldn't manage to play the other two XIII games (I'm a control freak in RPGs. I need to control the entire party's actions at all times, so XII and XIII had systems I couldn't really enjoy.), I was absorbed in the playthroughs. I loved the characters, the story, and I'm anxious to actually play the final game.

I have to pick up the demo tonight.
I couldn't help but notice the bolded text and the fact you skipped over 5 Final Fantasy games that fit that criteria to a T.

And if it's characters and story you love so much, you really should play FFVI, preferably on a SNES emulator, as there is yet to be a perfect port or one that surpasses it.

Xernuht

I couldn't help but notice the bolded text and the fact you skipped over 5 Final Fantasy games that fit that criteria to a T.

And if it's characters and story you love so much, you really should play FFVI, preferably on a SNES emulator, as there is yet to be a perfect port or one that surpasses it.

Ah, but you see:
  • I need time for other things/games.
  • I only really could see myself playing IV and VI.
Honestly, I have 0 desire to play 1-3 and 5.

Chapstick

For anyone who hasn't heard of it which is apparently no one except me until a few days ago, Squenix worked with Nintendo on a new game for the 3DS that we're finally getting called Bravely Default. Its demo is in the 3DS eshop and has a surprising amount of content with its own separate story to not spoil anything and play bonuses you get by completing things that give you some items at the start of the real game.

Bravely Default is plays very much like the classic FF's and reminds me of the DS FFIII remake. Everything is gorgeous and I love the aesthetic they have going on.

Aerospark

Standard Donor
I just watched that a few minutes ago and omfg the Yeul walking up to Caius and repeatedly dying killed me

Chapstick

ffffsafd.gif

rofl

UpSideDownGRUNT

Anyone see the new PS3 controller? Gonna get that someday soon, my camo one is starting to have 1 and 3 issues and my plain one I use for MvC.

http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/accesso...e-lightning-returns-final-fantasy-xiii/113498
Looks kinda bland, and completely different to JPN's controller haha.

Also, I beat FFVII for the 1st time yesterday. Although it's my least favourite in terms of characters and stuff (minus Yuffie and Tifa lol) it was a pretty fun final dungeon.

My only gripe is that I was a mix of Level 60 (Yuffie) and Level 63 (Cloud/Tifa) and beat Jenova SYNTHASIS and Sephiroph/Safer Sephiroth wayyy too easily, all I had to do was cast Big Guard, regen and use Cure 3 when needed and I had no problems of being low health what so ever. Although, I did use Cloud's/Tifa's and Yuffie's Ultimas though and Mega All/Slash All and Double cut Materias so I did like 4000 - 9999 each hit depending if it was a crit or not.

And the final battle? what a joke! you immediately gain Omnislash after Safer Sephiroth and forced to use it causing you to instantly win. Yu Yevon this was not.

I enjoyed FFX's final bosses, but FFVII's was way too easy. All in all a great game but the final bosses and end enemies were too easy I even had no trouble with Tonberries. I may do the final battle again tonight using none ultimas, hell I might even use Clouds Buster Sword just for a challenge haha.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD